Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-25-2017, 06:55 PM

Default Kids dirt bikes on public land

So what exactly is needed on my kids (ages 5&10) dirt bikes to be legal on public land? I've printed the legislation and I know what's necessary on my bikes/utv. Unclear on the kids though. Head light that shines 60m and tail light visible from 60m. Muffler that's not altered. These I know. What gets me confused is the registration and insurance. Can I register a 65cc and a 50cc bike? Do they need plates? Are they covered under my insurance or do they each need to carry liability per bike? Maybe I'm just missing something. In all honesty, I haven't seen a lot of kids bikes out on crown land that are compliant so it's got me wondering, especially with them cracking down this year. Please no derails about OHV's. Just would like some insight. Thanks.
Old 05-25-2017, 07:12 PM

Strickly speaking I think they need to be 16 to be legal. I'm not sure though. Looking into it for my oldest and his dirt bike as well.
Old 05-25-2017, 07:23 PM

Default Each bike needs its own

Registration licence plate and insurance in addition to everything you mentioned above.
Old 05-25-2017, 08:18 PM

Lights front and rear, spark trap in the exhaust, license plate, and pink slips for registration and insurance.
Old 05-25-2017, 09:13 PM

None of the dirt bikes I have ever owned had a head light, do people put on after market head lights? If not driving in the dark why do you need a head light?
Old 05-25-2017, 09:42 PM

Default Lights

Head and tail are required to ride on public land. TSA OHV regs.

Same reason as daytime running lights ? Or to ensure that you have lights if you end up in the dark or poor weather?
Old 05-26-2017, 06:25 AM

Pretty much as i figured. Obviously everything insured and registered through me. Where are people fitting a plate on these little bikes. There's no way I'm drilling holes in the race bike. Zip ties, but where? These bikes are small!
Old 05-26-2017, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinny View Post
Pretty much as i figured. Obviously everything insured and registered through me. Where are people fitting a plate on these little bikes. There's no way I'm drilling holes in the race bike. Zip ties, but where? These bikes are small!
keep the plates in the vehicle you are hauling the bikes with . i carry registration and pink cards but not the plates for bikes , snowmobile .
Old 05-26-2017, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by liar View Post
keep the plates in the vehicle you are hauling the bikes with . i carry registration and pink cards but not the plates for bikes , snowmobile .
The legislation says the plates have to be visible. You mean just carry them with you? All seems crazy for little kids on bikes but it's better than no riding at all I guess. Gets expensive too, registering all those bikes!
Old 05-26-2017, 06:49 AM

Plates have to be attached to the bike and visible., in the truck, at, home, on the back of your armor will all get you a ticket:
this is from the TSA/OHV reg.

Licence plates
18(1) The Registrar must issue an off‑highway licence plate for an off‑highway vehicle if the Registrar issues a certificate of registration for the off‑highway vehicle.
(2) The Registrar must issue off‑highway vehicle licence plates in the number and of the type and colour approved by the Minister.
(3) The owner of an off‑highway vehicle must attach the licence plate issued under subsection (1) securely to the front or rear of the off‑highway vehicle so that the licence plate is clearly visible.
Old 05-26-2017, 06:54 AM

I would ty wrap the plate to the front of the bike just bellow the handle bars
Old 05-26-2017, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatboyz View Post
Plates have to be attached to the bike and visible., in the truck, at, home, on the back of your armor will all get you a ticket:
this is from the TSA/OHV reg.

Licence plates
18(1) The Registrar must issue an off‑highway licence plate for an off‑highway vehicle if the Registrar issues a certificate of registration for the off‑highway vehicle.
(2) The Registrar must issue off‑highway vehicle licence plates in the number and of the type and colour approved by the Minister.
(3) The owner of an off‑highway vehicle must attach the licence plate issued under subsection (1) securely to the front or rear of the off‑highway vehicle so that the licence plate is clearly visible.
Yeah that's what I thought. I wish we'd go to a sticker system like a lot of the states.
Old 05-26-2017, 07:21 AM

I zip tied mine in the spokes of my front wheel.
Old 05-26-2017, 09:06 AM

Old 05-26-2017, 10:10 AM

It's been a few years since I had a dirt bike. But I put my license plate in behind the number plate. Never had any issues when I was stopped and checked. They don't need to be visible in your truck like said in an above post, they are in/on privately owned property so don't need to be registered.
Why can't we have a nice smaller sticker? More people would comply if we did.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-26-2017, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilsledder View Post
It's been a few years since I had a dirt bike. But I put my license plate in behind the number plate. Never had any issues when I was stopped and checked. They don't need to be visible in your truck like said in an above post, they are in/on privately owned property so don't need to be registered.
Why can't we have a nice smaller sticker? More people would comply if we did.

They def have to be visible. Says so right in the legislation. On private land you don't need anything, but crown is a different story. My bikes are all legal, I was just curious if the same applied to small kids/bikes. Looks like it does. Yes a sticker system would be so much better.
Old 05-26-2017, 11:27 AM

I was always under the impression that anything at or under the 49cc mark did not require insurance and registration. A few friends have been stopped not on the trails but riding around the campsite and told they now require it.
In addition to that he is having a lot of difficulty finding an agency that will insure it..
Old 05-26-2017, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1cuz1 View Post
I was always under the impression that anything at or under the 49cc mark did not require insurance and registration. A few friends have been stopped not on the trails but riding around the campsite and told they now require it.
In addition to that he is having a lot of difficulty finding an agency that will insure it..
That's what got me wondering about this. I thought there was an exception too. Guess not. My wife's aunt owns an agency so we'll find out what's what for insurance.
Old 05-26-2017, 12:18 PM

Quote:
They def have to be visible. Says so right in the legislation. On private land you don't need anything, but crown is a different story. My bikes are all legal, I was just curious if the same applied to small kids/bikes. Looks like it does. Yes a sticker system would be so much better.

I know they are supposed to be and on my sxs they are. But I was saying that I when I had my bike the co's were always understanding why they weren't visible. But like I said that was a few years ago around 2008 so they might be more strict now.

Old 05-26-2017, 12:23 PM

Default So what is needed for kid on dirtbike on public land?

This
Old 05-26-2017, 05:45 PM

We've been pulled over a few times in the last couple years. Each officer seems to have an interpretation. Have never had the 50cc checked or asked about but they have checked everything else. Never said anything about lights until this weekend. From what the officer said this weekend is lights/registration/ insurance on everything and make sure you can produce. Forgot the paperwork for a couple bikes in the truck and it wasn't a cheap ticket
Old 05-26-2017, 05:54 PM

Quote:
The legislation says the plates have to be visible. You mean just carry them with you? All seems crazy for little kids on bikes but it's better than no riding at all I guess. Gets expensive too, registering all those bikes!
it gets more expensive . everything has to be insured also .
Old 05-26-2017, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishinisgood View Post
We've been pulled over a few times in the last couple years. Each officer seems to have an interpretation. Have never had the 50cc checked or asked about but they have checked everything else. Never said anything about lights until this weekend. From what the officer said this weekend is lights/registration/ insurance on everything and make sure you can produce. Forgot the paperwork for a couple bikes in the truck and it wasn't a cheap ticket
so all moto cross bikes have to have headlights installed on them on crown land ?
Old 05-26-2017, 06:56 PM

Headlights and tail lights . Be visible up to sixty metres. The officer told me to make sure it "Will" be visible at 60 metres. White light on front, red on back
Old 05-26-2017, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Ive had luck bending them around forks and zip tying them.
Old 05-26-2017, 08:26 PM

Quote:
so all moto cross bikes have to have headlights installed on them on crown land ?
Yes. I've had friends just buy pedal bike lights and strap them to the handle bars, the CO's have never had a problem with that. At least it's an attempt.
A friend of mine had a run in with some CO's last year and was given a warring because his kids were riding around in a field and he was sitting in a lawn chair watching. The CO stated that my friend must also be riding.
Old 05-26-2017, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alta_Redneck View Post
Yes. I've had friends just buy pedal bike lights and strap them to the handle bars, the CO's have never had a problem with that. At least it's an attempt.
A friend of mine had a run in with some CO's last year and was given a warring because his kids were riding around in a field and he was sitting in a lawn chair watching. The CO stated that my friend must also be riding.
i havent been to brule lake or vega for a few years but a few years ago they wouldnt have enough ticket books to give out all fines on a long weekend . do you know if this is something new or was it never enforced ?
Old 05-26-2017, 09:59 PM

Whats required is a painful amount of useless and expensive hoops to jump through, all basically designed to discourage and keep the sport out of reach (finically and head ache wise) to your average family.

People asked for more "enforcement" of off roaders, mainly to discourage abuse of environments which is fair enough. Of course the joke is on us naive citizens as all they enforce is wether or not you have tail lights/ headlights/ (many bikes don't and can't have lights) where your unnecessary plate is mounted and if you forgot that piece of mandatory insurance which for riding trials is just waste of $300.

Rant over

As for mounting the plate, I didn't want to ruin my bike either so I zip-tied mine in my spokes, got a warning for that. Had it on the back of my camelback, got a warning for that. Asked where to put it and they didn't really have any real solutions other than potentially dangers spots on the rear fender and such.

You could likely ty-wrap it on the front of your front number plate with some long ty wraps around your upper forks. It will have to be removed for races of course if you plan on participating in those.
Old 05-26-2017, 10:27 PM

http://www.qp.alberta.ca/documents/regs/2002_319.pdf

that was easy to find .
Old 05-26-2017, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Yup. It was. Had that when I posted. Please show me where it states the rules for smaller cc bikes. That's what I asked about.