Old 04-16-2017, 01:49 PM
Banned

They would win with great hitting.
Or great pitching.
They have neither so far.
Injuries are worrisome too.
Hard to watch this...
Old 04-16-2017, 04:52 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwoods View Post
I was with the boys in the hockey dressing room yesterday. After our game it dawned on me that I cheer for the Canucks and Blue Jays. The boys on my team got a good laugh at my expense. Haha
Rough year!

I still hold out hope for the jays. They're still in games and playing as bad as they possibly can. They'll fluke one out here and get going
It's ok things will get better

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 04-17-2017, 10:27 AM

Unless they go on a 10-15 game winning streak starting this week, the season is all but over.

Interesting what the front office will do with all the injuries and such.
Old 04-17-2017, 10:58 AM

What's that smell?????
Old 04-17-2017, 12:39 PM

Compared to the past two years----PATHETIC
Old 04-17-2017, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidderman View Post
Compared to the past two years----PATHETIC
Yes with essentially the same, if not deeper squad.
Well there is always a silver lining right?
Donaldson, Bautista, Happ, Estrada and Tulo should be able to glean an absolute glut of good, young players. We have a few on their way too from the minors. Might be 2-3 thin years ahead but at least the cupboards should be full.

I can't believe I just said that on April 17
Old 04-17-2017, 06:39 PM

OK, it's early. But at 2-9, Toronto is the worst team in baseball at the moment. The good news? If this goes on too long, maybe they'll have to fire Gibbons.
With all the talent on this team, you gotta blame the manager.
Old 04-17-2017, 07:06 PM

Default to

2 wins 10 loses.
Old 04-17-2017, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunluvr View Post
OK, it's early. But at 2-9, Toronto is the worst team in baseball at the moment. The good news? If this goes on too long, maybe they'll have to fire Gibbons.
Wtf? Gibbons is a great skipper! We are having some injury issues and leaving lots of guys on base. We've played 11 games and you think we should skid the coach with the second most wins in blue jays history. Cmon man.
Old 04-17-2017, 10:35 PM

Quote:
They just re-signed him to an extension. This is 100% on the players and their lack of preparation and perhaps thinking they are entitled to make the post season. Gotta earn it boys
Old 04-18-2017, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwoods View Post
They just re-signed him to an extension. This is 100% on the players and their lack of preparation and perhaps thinking they are entitled to make the post season. Gotta earn it boys
Preparation is what the manager is for.
Old 04-18-2017, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESOXangler View Post
Wtf? Gibbons is a great skipper! We are having some injury issues and leaving lots of guys on base. We've played 11 games and you think we should skid the coach with the second most wins in blue jays history. Cmon man.
You've been listening to Buck too much. Turn down the volume and watch the game.
Old 04-18-2017, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Funny, I haven't seen Gibbons hit into any double plays or strike out multiple times during the game.......
Old 04-18-2017, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoFugger21 View Post
Funny, I haven't seen Gibbons hit into any double plays or strike out multiple times during the game.......
I agree with you to a point. My concern is that Gibbons had better start managing for small ball as the mashers can't mash. The only problem with that strategy is the Jays are slow. They are built for extra base hits and aren't getting any. Going to be tough unless they start putting some over the fence.
Old 04-18-2017, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellpastcold View Post
I agree with you to a point. My concern is that Gibbons had better start managing for small ball as the mashers can't mash. The only problem with that strategy is the Jays are slow. They are built for extra base hits and aren't getting any. Going to be tough unless they start putting some over the fence.
But how is it Gibbons fault they aren't getting any extra base hits? Or that they're striking out too often? They're professional baseball players that should be able to adjust to a pitcher in-game. What is Gibbons going to tell them - "Watch for the curve!!?!?!?", "Hey, try to take it the other way!", "Maybe you need to swing harder....?"

Most of the Blue Jays hitters are at their best when they're going up the middle or to the opposite field for base hits (Pillar, Martin, Donaldson, Travis, etc) - but they haven't been doing that. They're letting good pitches go by, swinging at garbage, or trying to crush the ball.... leading to lots of strikeouts, double plays, and runners left on. It's quite frustrating, but none of that blame can be placed on the manager.

And bunting and stealing is out of the question for 95% of the roster. This lineup is built for timely base/extra base hits and to hit the long ball. Neither has happened yet, but it will come. Eventually. The question is whether it will to be too late to matter when it does come around.
Old 04-18-2017, 02:25 PM

Quote:
But how is it Gibbons fault they aren't getting any extra base hits? Or that they're striking out too often? They're professional baseball players that should be able to adjust to a pitcher in-game. What is Gibbons going to tell them - "Watch for the curve!!?!?!?", "Hey, try to take it the other way!", "Maybe you need to swing harder....?"

Most of the Blue Jays hitters are at their best when they're going up the middle or to the opposite field for base hits (Pillar, Martin, Donaldson, Travis, etc) - but they haven't been doing that. They're letting good pitches go by, swinging at garbage, or trying to crush the ball.... leading to lots of strikeouts, double plays, and runners left on. It's quite frustrating, but none of that blame can be placed on the manager.

And bunting and stealing is out of the question for 95% of the roster. This lineup is built for timely base/extra base hits and to hit the long ball. Neither has happened yet, but it will come. Eventually. The question is whether it will to be too late to matter when it does come around.
you hit it on the head!
Old 04-18-2017, 03:12 PM

Quote:

It's not Gibbons fault the Blue Jays are not hitting home runs or extra base hits. It is however his responsibility to manage the game. When long ballers can't they need to be managed. It's not a fair world. If Gibby doesn't take charge he will be skidded. Taking charge means risking conflict and hurting tender little big star veteran feelings by looking for contact over power. Sure he can sit back and just let them "work it out". Most likely at his home in Texas. Sure Gibby is a players manager. When everything is going great you can afford to be. When it's not going well who catches hell? The manager.
Old 04-18-2017, 05:06 PM

Quote:
It's not Gibbons fault the Blue Jays are not hitting home runs or extra base hits. It is however his responsibility to manage the game. When long ballers can't they need to be managed. It's not a fair world. If Gibby doesn't take charge he will be skidded. Taking charge means risking conflict and hurting tender little big star veteran feelings by looking for contact over power. Sure he can sit back and just let them "work it out". Most likely at his home in Texas. Sure Gibby is a players manager. When everything is going great you can afford to be. When it's not going well who catches hell? The manager.
You're right. Gibbons (and upper management) are fixated on sensational long ball hitters to appease fans. And he won't, or can't, ask guys like Donaldson and Hose B to swallow pride and lay down a bunt. They traded away bona-fide lead-off hitters like Raji Davis and Ben Revere, and sunk all hopes in Devon Travis?
I'm not panicking, I just don't like Gibbons.
I said "it's early", and I think the Jays will bounce back, but consider if they did stay on this course. They are on track to lose 135 games at this pace. How long do you think Gibbons will be around if that happens?
Old 04-18-2017, 07:15 PM

Quote:
You're right. Gibbons (and upper management) are fixated on sensational long ball hitters to appease fans. And he won't, or can't, ask guys like Donaldson and Hose B to swallow pride and lay down a bunt. They traded away bona-fide lead-off hitters like Raji Davis and Ben Revere, and sunk all hopes in Devon Travis?
I'm not panicking, I just don't like Gibbons.
I said "it's early", and I think the Jays will bounce back, but consider if they did stay on this course. They are on track to lose 135 games at this pace. How long do you think Gibbons will be around if that happens?
There is never a scenario where Donaldson or Jose should be bunting... Yes, even sacrifice bunts - you are just giving away an out.
Old 04-18-2017, 07:19 PM

Quote:
How exactly do you manage long ball hitters, aside from moving them up or down the line up? You're never asking, nor should they ever ask, Jose, Donaldson, Morales, Tulo to bunt. And I'm not sure playing Carrera over Bautista or Goins over Travis or Barney over Donaldson is giving the Blue Jays a better chance to win - regardless of how things are going right now.
Old 04-18-2017, 08:00 PM

Its not a small ball team. However it would be nice to see someone bunt themselves on, when the defense has a crazy shift. If more pull hitters would drop the odd bunt to the undefended opposite side, these crazy shifts would stop.
Old 04-18-2017, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick0danger View Post
Its not a small ball team. However it would be nice to see someone bunt themselves on, when the defense has a crazy shift. If more pull hitters would drop the odd bunt to the undefended opposite side, these crazy shifts would stop.
I have no issue with guys bunting for hits, it's just this team isn't built for it. But you're right, if the opportunity presents itself with a big shift, go for it, get a base hit.
Old 04-18-2017, 08:32 PM

Yea man if the 3rd baseman is on 2nd base lay down a bunt. It will start to open up room so you can straight pull one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCmusD1zjGo
Old 04-18-2017, 08:39 PM

Here are some more

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hw-k2ZjqOJE
Old 04-18-2017, 08:50 PM

Quote:
How exactly do you manage long ball hitters, aside from moving them up or down the line up? You're never asking, nor should they ever ask, Jose, Donaldson, Morales, Tulo to bunt. And I'm not sure playing Carrera over Bautista or Goins over Travis or Barney over Donaldson is giving the Blue Jays a better chance to win - regardless of how things are going right now.
I didn't say bunt. But it is time to have the "choke up on the bat" conversation. It is just plain selfish to be going up to the plate and taking rips and looking foolish. If you are 2 for 28, exactly who are you fooling?
Old 04-18-2017, 09:08 PM

Quote:
There is never a scenario where Donaldson or Jose should be bunting... Yes, even sacrifice bunts - you are just giving away an out.
Jose's .136 batting average could be seen as giving away a lot of outs. One sac bunt could have doubled his RBIs.
Old 04-18-2017, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackpowderrlw View Post
2 wins 10 loses.
Make that 2-11
Old 04-26-2017, 10:59 AM
Banned

Default Chris Coghlan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjCbbAxUDg8

Great win last night.
Put Coghlan in the line up at 3rd base or in left field, he deserves it
Old 05-11-2017, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blgoodbrand1 View Post
Yup. I'm a goins fan myself and given the ab's he might prove himself.
But I'm also a smoak fan. Just wish he would help me out a bit and hit the ball every so often.
I still don't know why we let Revere go....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well, Goins has been given the at bats. And he's shining. No surprise. When Tulo comes back Ryan should be every day at 2nd base.
What's with all the injuries? Seems like when this team is doing well, everyone's healthy. And vice-versa. Don't say they are sucking because of the injuries. They are just sucking. Tied for last place in the A.L.
Old 05-11-2017, 07:16 PM

Default Jays on DL

Looks like all the players who aren't concerned about contract renewal Donaldson, Happ, Martin, Sanchez, Tulo, Morales are suddenly on the DL.
Seriously, some of these injuries are pathetic...(Donaldson:calf soreness? since April 14th?) Fishy.
Hose B. has something to prove, and he ought to be doing that sometime soon ... Others like Goins, Pillar, Smoak, Carrera, are carrying the team as well as they can. Contracts to renew?
Next on DL: Gibbons(sprained fat).