Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 12-06-2010, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
But the main contributor to any penetration is bullet construction. Again.

Sectional density is almost irrelevant. Again.

Velocity is only relevant as it can impact how a bullet reacts to resistance based on it's construction. Again.
The response couldn't be more Chuck, well at least I got a good chuckle out of it.
Old 12-07-2010, 05:32 AM

7mm-08 or308 or some thing diffent make sure the gun fits him properly as he probley can handle the recoil of a 30-06 if it fits properly if not aproper fit it will kick the h@ll out him even the 7mm-08 not quite as bad as the 30 cals. aproper fit means a enjoyment of shooting and the ablity to shoot off hand quickly & accuretly very hard thing to do with a poor fitting gun.
Old 12-07-2010, 04:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traps View Post
The response couldn't be more Chuck, well at least I got a good chuckle out of it.
me too ..but if only the GREATNESS could deliver all the wisdom ..geezz ..
Old 05-25-2017, 02:00 PM

Default Revive an old discussion

It's been a few years and I suspect more people have real world experience on this subject.
I am going to buy one of these for my son and then after he buys his own rifle later on it will be for me to play with. Which would be better?
Old 05-25-2017, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heretohunt View Post
It's been a few years and I suspect more people have real world experience on this subject.
I am going to buy one of these for my son and then after he buys his own rifle later on it will be for me to play with. Which would be better?
Neither is better. Both are great. Coke vs Pepsi. If anyone tells you that one kills better than the other then put that guy on ignore because he is spreading falsehoods. 308 ammo is cheaper and easier to find. If you reload then it's irrelevant.
Old 05-25-2017, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heretohunt View Post
I doubt any more real world experience exists now than it did then.

-Billy Molls
Old 05-25-2017, 04:43 PM

I would say in the past 7 years since the OP posted, the 7mm-08 has gained even greater popularity amongst the masses. It seems to be available in an even greater range of factor rifles as a result, and as a result there seems to be a greater selection of factory ammo available for it. From a reloading perspective, there is definitely more data available now as folks have had 7 more years of recipe development.
Old 05-25-2017, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
Would totally depend on bullet type. SD is an outdated theory that applied well to non-jacketed bullets but that's pretty much where it's practicality ends.
If that be the case then BC is out the door as well. As I see it SD is very much alive and well with any type of bullet.
Old 05-25-2017, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
That answer has nothing to do with the 308 penetrating more than the 7mm-08 because of speed. Which is what you said.

Bullet construction has more to do with penetration than any one factor and bullet diameter can't be discounted either. If you would like to use SD in your formula (a flawed start) and then put speed into the equation (speed can hinder penetration) then by your criteria the 7mm-08 wins every time.
With the same bullet weight, construction, impact velocity and resistance, I would bet that the 6.5 will out-penetrate either the .308 or the 7-08.

The magic of Sectional Density at work.
Old 05-25-2017, 05:40 PM
Banned

Never mind. I decided to delete my own post, for obvious reasons.

Last edited by gitrdun; 05-25-2017 at 05:48 PM.
Old 05-25-2017, 05:51 PM
Banned

Can you have too much penetration?
Old 05-25-2017, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salavee View Post
With the same bullet weight, construction, impact velocity and resistance, I would bet that the 6.5 will out-penetrate either the .308 or the 7-08.

..make that .308 or .284
Old 05-25-2017, 06:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
..make that .308 or .284
And that actually goes through one's mind before squeezing the trigger? Oh no, maybe I should, maybe not, maybe my SD is sub-standard, or perhaps the bullet velocity, No! it's the BC, it's sub-standard. **** on it, I'm going home to check my camera. Oh wait, my cammo clothing isn't right for this time of year. I smell like shat, need some scent block. Off to Walmart.
Old 05-25-2017, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitrdun View Post
And that actually goes through one's mind before squeezing the trigger? Oh no, maybe I should, maybe not, maybe my SD is sub-standard, or perhaps the bullet velocity, No! it's the BC, it's sub-standard. **** on it, I'm going home to check my camera. Oh wait, my cammo clothing isn't right for this time of year. I smell like shat, need some scent block. Off to Walmart.

exactly. or............
oh ***t! i think that deer saw my stainless barrel

uh oh! that deer is 52 ft lbs. of energy beyond my 308's magic number. now i wish i had that 6.5 bullet. damn! do i take this unethical shot and just lie to my buddies?
god, why me, first world problems!

1. People who list their arguments in bullets points or numerical order generally come off as condescending pecker heads.

2. #1 is true.
Old 05-25-2017, 06:57 PM

Quote:

yups .... but how dare you
Old 05-25-2017, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duceman View Post

exactly. or............
oh ***t! i think that deer saw my stainless barrel

uh oh! that deer is 52 ft lbs. of energy beyond my 308's magic number. now i wish i had that 6.5 bullet. damn! do i take this unethical shot and just lie to my buddies?
god, why me, first world problems!
Bingo!

And then you get the really out to lunch guys like Cat who waste their money on a semi-custom 303 and hunt with a red Mackinaw. Stunned as a lump I say!
Old 05-25-2017, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
Bingo!

And then you get the really out to lunch guys like Cat who waste their money on a semi-custom 303 and hunt with a red Mackinaw. Stunned as a lump I say!
bingo again.

it's funny our fore fathers were able to get enough protien to produce seed with enough punch to muster reproduction. think of the challenges; no under armor, calls, trail cams, 40 colors of camo, magnums to handle those 250 yd shots that their buddies are told 600+ around the campfire.......

1. People who list their arguments in bullets points or numerical order generally come off as condescending pecker heads.

2. #1 is true.
Old 05-25-2017, 07:27 PM

We'd get along just fine you and I.

Btw, great job at your shoot!

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk
Old 05-25-2017, 07:30 PM

let's meet up at the rifle rodeo and laugh at the yupsters together!

2. #1 is true.
Old 05-25-2017, 08:21 PM

Well I went through the same dilemma a year ago for my daughter. She was 14 at the time and was looking for her first hunting rifle of her own. She weighs about 110 lbs and doesn't like carrying a heavy rifle all day, but can shoot a box of ammo through my SMLE .303 without flinching. Having uses and liked both calibers, it was a tough decision. I ended up getting her an old Cooey in .308. One of the reasons is that I can buy factory load reduced recoil ammo and she can eventually shoot large game where a thirty caliber excels. She skipped over the reduced recoil stuff and went right to the 165 grain Federals. However, she whines if she has to carry it too far. Each kid is different. Although both calibers are great, I would take the .308 any time over the 7mm-08.
Old 05-26-2017, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitrdun View Post
It probably goes through one's mind when choosing a cartridge ,rifle or bullet for a particular purpose. Not much different than choosing target rifles or rounds. Like anything else, certain subjects can get bent out of shape at any time by anyone who chooses.
Old 05-26-2017, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TangoKilo View Post
I'm never one to argue with Bill, and now is not the time to start.
Clearly. He nailed the answer. I'd say it comes down to reloading or non reloading owner. Even then you're splitting hairs.

Hahaha. Holy resurrected post, yet we all still bite. Shameful, lol
Old 05-26-2017, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Bingo!

Don't forget as well, that high end custom build that I wasted all that money on (with the cartridge that has the ballistics that some compare to a pop up toaster) has a set of open express sights as its main sighting system!
Cat
Old 05-26-2017, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Don't forget as well, that high end custom build that I wasted all that money on (with the cartridge that has the ballistics that some compare to a pop up toaster) has a set of open express sights as its main sighting system!
Cat
Surprising that it penetrates the hide. LOL.
Old 05-27-2017, 12:07 AM

Back to the subject at hand....

In the olden days when Silhouette shooting was a big deal, most shooters where shooting 7mm 08 over the .308...due to the recoil factor and the better BC of the bullets at the time (yes I know 30 cal bullets have gotten better with age)... both knocked over rams and both did very well on big game as well..Is there an advantage of one over the other..not really except for recoil?

Personally you should just buy a 6.5 anything and have the best of both worlds ..low recoil...even lower then the 7mm08....better bc then both..in a practical hunting bullet... way more class and by far the best SD of the three......
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 05-27-2017, 12:52 AM
Banned

Quote:

Coke vs Pepsi...
Bad comparison...

Pepsi, hands down.

Old 05-27-2017, 12:53 AM

French vs Mexican Vanilla

Old 05-27-2017, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J0HN_R1 View Post
Bad comparison...

Pepsi, hands down.

Hothouse vs field tomatoes

Old 05-27-2017, 06:17 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Boom, flop, dead...was that a 7-08 or a 308...

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 05-27-2017, 06:21 AM

I bought a 243 for my daughter, but would have preferred a 7mm08 - couldn't find it in the rifle I wanted at the time though.

For a first rifle, I'd go with a 7mm08 or 6.5 creedmoor over a 308. In fact, 7mm08 would be my first choice for myself as well if I was looking for a new hunting rifle. Had a 308 myself and sold it after buying a 7mm rem mag on an impulse buy. However, I did use some reduced recoil loads (7mm08 velocity) on deer a couple of years ago and there was no difference between it and the 308 in on game performance that I could tell.

The reduced recoil loads are a nice way to work up to full power loads, but are available in 7mm08 so it still has the advantage in recoil. Minimal difference between the two in identically placed shots, but accurate shot placement is easier with less recoil. For your purposes, I don't think it's even close. 308 is definitely more available, but not enough to matter for my purposes - 7mm08 is easy to find in store and online too.

308 and 7mm08 are Both good cartridges and would last a lifetime for a new hunter; I only threw 6.5CM in in case you already have one or are thinking of getting one for a long distance rifle yourself. 7mm08 is the way to go especially in a lighter weight rifle - youth, women's, mountain.