Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-26-2017, 04:15 PM

Default How far will the Gov go to collect some of your $$

So here is a great way to help bring in some of that tax money the governments need. This is from Australia but how long before we see these type of antics in Alberta.

http://www.news.com.au/national/quee...20a2f0ca2f0daf

Dodger.
Old 05-26-2017, 04:26 PM
Banned

That is absolutely ridiculous.
Old 05-26-2017, 04:31 PM

Wondering when it will be coming? HA. That sort of thing happens all the time here as well.
Old 05-26-2017, 04:41 PM

there been a uptrend in radar ticket handed out the 10km over range...
Old 05-26-2017, 04:42 PM

I am not surprised that the local authorities haven't already gone down this road. Shameless NDP cash grabs to pay for the spend like "drunken sailors"
Old 05-26-2017, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishtank View Post
there been a uptrend in radar ticket handed out the 10km over range...
How true. My bud picked up a ticket for 6/KMH over on a secondary hiway in the middle of nowhere.

Dodger.
Old 05-26-2017, 06:31 PM

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger View Post
How true. My bud picked up a ticket for 6/KMH over on a secondary hiway in the middle of nowhere.

Dodger.
Ok that one I can't side with the RCMP on, 10km over ya I get it, no need to 120+ on a 110 but 6km? That's a cranky cop.
Old 05-26-2017, 07:23 PM
Gone Hunting

Wonder how many serious injuries occur on a boat ramp. that could be prevented by wearing a seatbelt.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 05-26-2017, 10:01 PM
Banned

Helmets for everyone.
Old 05-27-2017, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newview01 View Post
Helmets for everyone.
We will have to set up a helmet registry to make sure everyone has one. Register for $135.00 a year and if caught outside not wearing it $300.00.

Dodger.
Old 05-27-2017, 08:35 AM

Remember everyone should secure there boat/load before heading up the ramp. Get all of those straps on!! If it just saves one life.

Dodger.
Old 05-27-2017, 08:37 AM

Only an idiot would wear a seatbelt while backing a boat into the water. If there is a vehicle issue, and the vehicle ends up in the water, a seatbelt will delay your ability to get out of the vehicle to avoid drowning.
Old 05-27-2017, 08:40 AM

Good Albertans have had enough paying Tax.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...ucks-1.4133667
Old 05-27-2017, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post
Wonder how many serious injuries occur on a boat ramp that could be prevented by wearing a seatbelt.

I was thinking the same thing, it would be nice to see the numerous pie charts and graphs that document and analyze the epidemic of boat-ramp carnage that is plaguing Australia and beyond. Oh the humanity!
Old 05-27-2017, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newview01 View Post
Helmets for everyone.
Turbans for everyone.
Old 05-27-2017, 10:32 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tri777 View Post
Turbans for everyone.
Burkas for EVERYONE! !
Old 05-27-2017, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Only an idiot would wear a seatbelt while backing a boat into the water. If there is a vehicle issue, and the vehicle ends up in the water, a seatbelt will delay your ability to get out of the vehicle to avoid drowning.
I never wear one on lakes ice fishing for those reasons. My truck goes down I want out fast. Often wondered if the rc's or other officers justify not wearing one on the frozen lake. IMO should be charged for wearing one.
Old 05-27-2017, 10:54 PM

Baltimore is working with a company that will tell them when you were speeding and where, via your gps. so if you were at playground zone xyz at 3:30pm and your onboard system says you were going 40km, ticket in the mail.
Old 05-28-2017, 12:49 AM

I got a ticket June last year, aprx 1-2 km past road workers,
I stopped for sign persons at equipment and where the work was going on, then carried on.
A Km or so down the Rd, I get pulled over.
As he's behind me I'm looking around for signs, pile-ons etc, none.
He says I'm doing 82 in a construction zone, 50 zone.
I say I was doing 50 and less where workers were, and stopped for sign person.
He agrees but says it's still 50 k til u see construction ends signs.
I say, well where is this sign, he says aprx another km ahead.
So I'm looking, no signs n sight, new white line pavement. Sign was a ways up.
I seen later. He writes the ticket, $274, I say the only problem I have with this ticket is it's written up the same was as if I blew past the construction workers, he says yep. So I ask, if the fine is double what are he demerits, he says the usual.
I should have challenged it, took pics etc, but I didn't, I just paid it.
2 mo later I get one 102 in 80 zone in Aug, the day after I pled guilty and paid the June ticket, Guy in Aug writes it up as 90 in an 80, $128 ticket.
I tell this officer how ****ed I am at myself for paying the June ticket just a day earlier,
I tell him the story, he says he would not have given such a ticket,
Ugh, the only 2 tickets I've got in 7-8 years, anyways.
Letter comes in the mail says I have 9 points, wth ? It says 3 for Aug and 6 for the June ticket, the dicks doubled the demerits for the construction zone ticket. Not specified on the ticket anywhere of course. Was thinking of enquiring on that as the ticket did not specify demerits, but whatever, I'll be a good lad for next year or 2.
Sorry for rant.

TBark

Last edited by TBark; 05-28-2017 at 12:57 AM.
Old 05-28-2017, 08:34 AM

Default Not surprised

In general, the gloves came off once they figured out how much money could be made for government coffers with Photo Radar. All in the name of "keeping you safer, because we know best".
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Local Police.jpg (27.2 KB, 74 views)

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 05-28-2017, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crankbait View Post
Baltimore is working with a company that will tell them when you were speeding and where, via your gps. so if you were at playground zone xyz at 3:30pm and your onboard system says you were going 40km, ticket in the mail.
This freaks me out. Police state anyone??

Dodger.
Old 05-28-2017, 10:52 PM

Quote:
This freaks me out. Police state anyone??

Dodger.

A number of years back I had heard of a car rental company trying this with their clients (issuing 'tickets' based on the vehicles data-logging/GPS), the thing it they were the ones collecting and pocketing the 'fine' rather than a government entity. It didn't go over very well but I'm sure they still probably have people tweaking the program for another try. I tried looking it up and was inundated with posts on rental companies forwarding legit tickets so I could not verify the story, I'll allow that it may just be an urban myth.

Last edited by CaberTosser; 05-28-2017 at 10:59 PM.
Old 05-29-2017, 08:54 AM
Banned

How about this, no that wouldn't work where would all the dollars come from then.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intell...eed_adaptation

Intelligent Speed Adaptation (ISA), also known as Alerting, and Intelligent Authority,[1] is any system that ensures that vehicle speed does not exceed a safe or legally enforced speed. In case of potential speeding, a human driver can be alerted, or the speed reduced automatically.
Intelligent speed adaptation uses information about the road to determine the required speed. Information can be obtained from knowledge of the vehicle position, taking into account speed limits known for the position, and by interpreting road features such as signs. ISA systems are designed to detect and alert a driver when a vehicle has entered a new speed zone, or when different speed limits are in force according to time of day and conditions. Many ISA systems also provide information about driving hazards (e.g., high pedestrian movement areas, railway crossings, schools, hospitals, etc.) and limits enforced by speed and traffic light cameras. The purpose of ISA is to assist the driver to maintain a safe and lawful speed at all times.
Research[2] has found that, in urban areas, the number of crashes causing casualties is doubled for each 5 km/h over the limit. It is estimated that about 10% of casualties could be prevented if drivers who routinely travel at up to 10 km/h would obey the speed limits. About 20% of casualties could be prevented if all vehicles complied with the speed limits. Fatalities would be reduced even more.
Old 05-29-2017, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weedy1 View Post
How about this, no that wouldn't work where would all the dollars come from then.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intell...eed_adaptation

Intelligent Speed Adaptation (ISA), also known as Alerting, and Intelligent Authority,[1] is any system that ensures that vehicle speed does not exceed a safe or legally enforced speed. In case of potential speeding, a human driver can be alerted, or the speed reduced automatically.
Intelligent speed adaptation uses information about the road to determine the required speed. Information can be obtained from knowledge of the vehicle position, taking into account speed limits known for the position, and by interpreting road features such as signs. ISA systems are designed to detect and alert a driver when a vehicle has entered a new speed zone, or when different speed limits are in force according to time of day and conditions. Many ISA systems also provide information about driving hazards (e.g., high pedestrian movement areas, railway crossings, schools, hospitals, etc.) and limits enforced by speed and traffic light cameras. The purpose of ISA is to assist the driver to maintain a safe and lawful speed at all times.
Research[2] has found that, in urban areas, the number of crashes causing casualties is doubled for each 5 km/h over the limit. It is estimated that about 10% of casualties could be prevented if drivers who routinely travel at up to 10 km/h would obey the speed limits. About 20% of casualties could be prevented if all vehicles complied with the speed limits. Fatalities would be reduced even more.
I can just see it now, a driver pulls out to pass a semi on a two lane highway, and as he gets alongside the semi the vehicle automatically reduces speed, leaving the vehicle stuck alongside the semi with oncoming vehicles approaching. This system could change perfectly safe situation, into a fatal accident.
Old 05-29-2017, 01:32 PM

The political expediency of mixing law enforcement up with revenue generation.

In the end you get no respect for law enforcement and in return no respect for the sheep they believe they're fleecing......all while the politician fills his trough again.

It is the rot at the core of society by mismanagement, laziness and corruption.
Old 05-29-2017, 02:23 PM

A co-worker of mine got a ticket from an RCMP officer for not signalling before she pulled into a parking spot. This was at 6:00 AM in a completely empty parking lot at a rec center (before opening).
Old 05-29-2017, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trout Man 82 View Post
A co-worker of mine got a ticket from an RCMP officer for not signalling before she pulled into a parking spot. This was at 6:00 AM in a completely empty parking lot at a rec center (before opening).
That's an example of "I had to work the night shift and I'm PO'ed about it". Nothing better to do than ruin someone's day.
Old 05-29-2017, 06:13 PM

Quote:
So here is a great way to help bring in some of that tax money the governments need. This is from Australia but how long before we see these type of antics in Alberta.

http://www.news.com.au/national/quee...20a2f0ca2f0daf

Dodger.
If they could put a meter on your toilet you would pay every time you flushed it.......
Old 05-29-2017, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by husky hunter View Post
If they could put a meter on your toilet you would pay every time you flushed it.......
Already is, it is called a water meter.

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 05-29-2017, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trout Man 82 View Post
a parking lot is private property leased by the box stores and your friend should have fought it