Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-26-2017, 01:10 PM

Default Generators

I have searched this form on gens and read all the good stuff on the yam/Honda's. For what I need is really just something to charge the battery's on the RV when camping and make coffee/blender for drinks. I don't use the air conditioning at all, also would only use 1-2 times a year, I have a Campion but that stays on the farm(too LOUD). I've priced out the Polaris 2000I($959) and the New Holland 3500I($1250), Do any of you fine ladies and gentlemen have any good or bad reviews about these 2. Thanks in advance
Old 05-26-2017, 01:45 PM

Polaris gen's are made by Kipor... a little louder than a Honda 2000 and a little bulkier .... just my 2 cents
Old 05-26-2017, 02:56 PM

Champion has the quiet inverter generators as well as the noisy open 3500w units. I own both and I only use the big open one if random camping by ourselves.
For quiet I take the 2000w inverter. Half the price and quiet and you can link 2 together as well if you like. I have 2 x 2000 but usually only use the one inverter units for charging or watching tv/movies on a rainy day if necessary to save the batteries. The also have a real nice 3100watt inverter as well if you want a quiet unit at half the price of red and blue that runs almost everything.
Old 05-26-2017, 02:58 PM

Default what calgarygringo says

X2
Old 05-26-2017, 03:15 PM

I'd go with the Honda 2000, I have one at my ranch cabin and it has ran approx 75 hours a week for the last 4 years. I change the oil in it every spring and fall and it hasn't let me down once.
Old 05-26-2017, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygringo View Post
Champion has the quiet inverter generators as well as the noisy open 3500w units. I own both and I only use the big open one if random camping by ourselves.
For quiet I take the 2000w inverter. Half the price and quiet and you can link 2 together as well if you like. I have 2 x 2000 but usually only use the one inverter units for charging or watching tv/movies on a rainy day if necessary to save the batteries. The also have a real nice 3100watt inverter as well if you want a quiet unit at half the price of red and blue that runs almost everything.
x3
Old 05-26-2017, 03:21 PM

Quote:

Don't quote me but I am pretty sure I read that you can't link the new hondas together. If you buy them in the states then you can but not the ones from Canada. The Yamaha ones I know you can! And I've been hearing better things from Yamaha lately then Honda.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-26-2017, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilsledder View Post
Don't quote me but I am pretty sure I read that you can't link the new hondas together. If you buy them in the states then you can but not the ones from Canada. The Yamaha ones I know you can! And I've been hearing better things from Yamaha lately then Honda.

you can get link Hondas together

http://www.hondaextreme.ca/2017-hond...=156&type=4164
Old 05-26-2017, 03:29 PM

I got a 2000 champion inverter I love it, my dad runs a 3200 Yamaha and both are equal for noise, I can run everything in my 5th wheel off my generator so I'm happy,
Old 05-26-2017, 03:31 PM

Champion 2000 for half the price. Buy two and the linking hardware just in case. But mine won't run the microwave in the rv. It should according to specs but it doesn't. I think it would make coffee. For sure it charges the system. Nothing compares to red or blue.

Sent from my STH100-1 using Tapatalk
Old 05-26-2017, 04:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phshrmn View Post
But mine won't run the microwave in the rv.
Lame. I like to nuke hot dogs when camping.
Old 05-26-2017, 04:58 PM

Check your surge wattage on your microwave as it may be more than rated. Check what else is running too. If your auto charger is charging your batteries or fridge kicked on 110v no 2000w will cook dogs at the same time. You may be surprised to find what is running and you didnt realize it.

Quote:
Champion 2000 for half the price. Buy two and the linking hardware just in case. But mine won't run the microwave in the rv. It should according to specs but it doesn't. I think it would make coffee. For sure it charges the system. Nothing compares to red or blue.

Old 05-26-2017, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Check your surge wattage on your microwave as it may be more than rated. Check what else is running too. If your auto charger is charging your batteries or fridge kicked on 110v no 2000w will cook dogs at the same time. You may be surprised to find what is running and you didnt realize it.
Thanks. I never thought about the fridge . That's likely part of my problem and easy to solve.

I'm not sure how to shut down the auto charger but I'll check it out.

Old 05-26-2017, 05:14 PM

Charger is where I would start as most kick in as soon as 110v available especially if batteries are down. Some fridges also kick in auto oŕ if you have it set to auto it will kick in as well. Surge on larger appliances and tools can be a killer too.

Quote:
Thanks. I never thought about the fridge . That's likely part of my problem and easy to solve.

I'm not sure how to shut down the auto charger but I'll check it out.

Old 05-27-2017, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohninAB View Post
x3
X4
Old 05-27-2017, 07:23 AM

Get the largest genny you can manage. I've never heard someone say "it too much power" , but I've heard "I wish I had more power"
Remember the small light weight units are much easier too 'lose'. My Cummins stays in the bed of the truck. If someone wants to lug that son of a gun out for a walk, have at her. I'll meet you down to road with a bottle of water and we'll have a conversation about needs and wants!
Old 05-27-2017, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nast70 View Post
Get the largest genny you can manage. I've never heard someone say "it too much power" , but I've heard "I wish I had more power"

Remember the small light weight units are much easier too 'lose'. My Cummins stays in the bed of the truck. If someone wants to lug that son of a gun out for a walk, have at her. I'll meet you down to road with a bottle of water and we'll have a conversation about needs and wants!

I have a Kipor 3000 inverter and it runs everything. Only penalty is weight. Most of the time I wish I had a smaller 2000 Honda.

Old 05-27-2017, 10:54 AM

I thought camping was living without power, so no tv, no margarita makers, Air conditioners, electric coffee makers, xbox.

People are getting too soft if they need all that stuff.

Get a solar panel instead if you need to top up your batterys.
Old 05-27-2017, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewerrat View Post
I thought camping was living without power, so no tv, no margarita makers, Air conditioners, electric coffee makers, xbox.

People are getting too soft if they need all that stuff.

Get a solar panel instead if you need to top up your batterys.
I know I hear but........................ha. Thanks guys for all the replies I really appreciate it.
Old 05-27-2017, 02:27 PM

For medium and light duty use, the less expensive Champion Inverters work just fine. I've had one for several years now.

If you read through most of the previous threads on generators, you will see this mentioned many times by others
Old 05-27-2017, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Wolf View Post
For medium and light duty use, the less expensive Champion Inverters work just fine. I've had one for several years now.

If you read through most of the previous threads on generators, you will see this mentioned many times by others
Yes 100% thanks for your input, I read them as well.
Old 05-27-2017, 07:48 PM

Check out Boliy Generators, had mine going on 6 years and never a problem. Quiet, 50 lbs, and runs AC no problem. If you do have a problem the gentlemen that owns the exclusive Canadian distributorship lives in Sherwood Park and services the units at his home shop.
Old 05-27-2017, 09:33 PM
Banned

I believe there are gas powered blenders available.

I know my uncle had one, was a small Honda motor and had a set of handle bars and a twist throttle for turbo blending.
Old 05-27-2017, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Adams View Post
Lame. I like to nuke hot dogs when camping.
From what I understand, only the hardest of hardcore field nukers use their own urine to steam said dogs while 'way out there with their microwave ovens'.

I also hear they have a way of using the turntable inside the microwave to turn a stick outside the oven with a door blocking technology.

I sure would like to look at these technologies.
Old 05-28-2017, 09:26 AM

Go red ..can't say blue because my buddy has a blue Korean thing ..kipor maybe? HIs looks like a 2000 Honda suitcase model but that's where it ends.. It literally takes an hour to get it started. Something seriously wrong with that thing. And when it does start it's louder than the Honda.
Honda may be more $$ than the champion's and such but for me the extra $$ to save some decibel's is worth it.
And for genny's like most other things...you get what you pay for.

As far as running stuff.. the 2k works for me.
I can run everything I need other than the ac. If the batteries are down, I'll plug the coffee maker direct into the genny as it won't run the inverter and coffee maker at the same time. ( that's when I don't have time for the perculator )
I checked the amp's when the inverter is charging the batteries and it's up there.... can't remember but it's around 6A or more I think.
2K will run any RV microwave but that's if the fridge/ inverter aren't running.
Old 05-28-2017, 09:59 AM

I have 3000 watt inverter made by champion. Think I got it at Costco. Light quiet and been great.

I usually run it for an hour behind the trailer and can't hear it at the camp fire.
Yamahas and Hondas are quieter but not by much and they r triple the price
Old 05-28-2017, 03:15 PM

I just sold my camper and have a low hour Honda 2000w inverter generator. Always ran premium in it, started it for the first time since last September took 3 pulls. Let me know if your interested. I'd let it go for $800
Old 05-28-2017, 06:02 PM

I'm looking hard at this one now

https://m.costco.ca/Firman-W03081-3%...100323499.html

Rated at 58db just like the Honda 3300 and for a third the price. Plus costco takes everything back no questions asked.
Old 05-28-2017, 08:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by srs123 View Post
I usually run it for an hour behind the trailer and can't hear it at the camp fire.
What about the people nearby that don't have a camp fire?
Old 05-28-2017, 08:24 PM

I have the 1500 watt champion, it works well for me, I have no AC. Over all, it's actually pretty quite. When my cousins 3000 yami invertor idles up, it's pretty close for sound.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk