Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 05-08-2017, 10:12 PM

Default Alaska Highway

Everyone,

I will be doing a road trip up to Anchorage area from Alberta at the start of July. I have been researching and there is a lot of info out there, just curious if anyone on here has first hand experience at flyfishing anywhere in the area. We may be able to have a chance at kings during the time we are up there and any info anyone has would be appreciated.

I am also looking for suggestions on a 10ish weight spey rod for the trip if anyone has any suggestions where I don't have to spend an arm and a leg on one, as it will only get used the odd time.

Also looking for info/suggestions on a halibut/salmon charter for one day.

Thanks
Old 05-09-2017, 08:16 AM

I did the same drive in 2012. I didn't fish on the way as I had stuff to do in Alaska. But, what I can tell is bring extra gas if you do not know this already.

I was driving a GMC truck. I ran out first but was then joined by 5 motorcycles, a van, a car and another truck. The prospect sleeping in the truck, which was full of people and stuff was not very exciting. The bikes were pitching tents and getting ready to stay. Then I remembered my OnStar. One button press later and they were sending gas from the nearest city for all. I would have felt like a hero is my wife wouldn't have said "Don't you have OnStar or something?" .....sigh

Got to the next city and purchased 3 20 litre jerry cans. Guess what? I needed them on the way home. Lessen learned.
Old 05-09-2017, 09:47 AM

Two suggestions;

1) Stop at Liard Hot Springs - a must stop IMO if there ever was one - approx. 700km's south of Whitehorse.

2) Carry cash - if anywhere along your trip experiences connectivity issues, the debit/credit machines won't work. Either stay put until the issue is resolved, or carry cash and be on your way. On my trips, I've experienced this at two shops where I needed cash to pay for my gas.
Old 05-15-2017, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yetiseeker View Post
Two suggestions;

1) Stop at Liard Hot Springs - a must stop IMO if there ever was one - approx. 700km's south of Whitehorse.

2) Carry cash - if anywhere along your trip experiences connectivity issues, the debit/credit machines won't work. Either stay put until the issue is resolved, or carry cash and be on your way. On my trips, I've experienced this at two shops where I needed cash to pay for my gas.
second that re Liard River Hot Springs, BUT bring BEAR SPRAY...
Old 05-28-2017, 06:16 PM

Default Oreo access

I have fished several of the creeks that cross the road from Carcross to Whitehorse and a few of the lake trout lakes. If you have a boat, consider fishing Lake Lebarge, outside of Whitehorse...really good laker fishing.

I found that any stream which crosses the highway of decent flow, hike up it and within a short distance, generally a pool or two that holds impressive numbers of grayling. I was there in mid-June and the bugs were bad but manageable with DEET.

I have a Temple Fork spey rod in 10 weight that used few times and willing to sell. I believe it is 15 foot.