Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-18-2018, 11:05 PM

Better question Ken,
is there a Good Drone you could recommend that isn't cell phone dependent
that has goggles & real time visual recording?
Old 01-18-2018, 11:49 PM

The most recent law dictates that you aren't legal to fly a UAV using goggles, if you want to remain in the letter of the law. That said any DJI drone is absolutely incredible if you are able to use goggles where legal. I have to take a look and see if they have amended it to say this for recreational use, as all my drone work is now under SFOC regulations for commercial use.
One thing to remember is all other brands are trying to catch up to DJI who has and are leading the market by leaps and bounds.
Some drones like the phantom 4+ come with their own display but I far prefer using a tablet or oled Android phone. They do not use cell or data, the signal is sent to the display to and from the controller, wired to the display.
The mavic is a great drone for every purpose.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 01-19-2018, 10:43 AM

a minute to better answer tri777- anything with a camera are dependant on a screen, but it does not have to be a cell phone. Ipad, tablet, old phone, anything that can plug into the controller, and they all do. Some come with their own screens, like the phantom 4 pro+ but you are essentially paying for an expensive version of a stripped down android s5.
Also before you buy ask me about any particular drones if you like, I prefer a 4k camera but they are not absolutely necessary.
Ehang are cheap chinese ripoffs. Be careful.

Also- look at DJI like Apple with the Ipad, everyone else is trying to catch up selling inferior products.

For VR- you can get goggles with very nice lenses to work with a good smartphone for very little money. I can recommend a couple. Note though, if you are going to fly VR I strongly recommend you have a good spotter beside you. The way I like to do it is to put the VR goggles on someone else and I fly the drone, the experience is spectacular. Watching people pan the camera up and down with their head is fun to watch too.

I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 01-19-2018, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
a minute to better answer...."Some come with their own screens, like the phantom 4 pro+.....a stripped down android s5."..
Also before you buy ask me about any particular drones if you like, I prefer a 4k camera but they are not absolutely necessary.
Ehang are cheap chinese ripoffs. Be careful.."

For VR- you can get goggles with very nice lenses to work with a good smartphone for very little money. I can recommend a couple. Note though, if you are going to fly VR I strongly recommend you have a good spotter beside you..".
Superb insights !!
Great 'real world' inside info for those above shortcuts in looking for the best drone possible.

I'll be keeping your words on my mind as i slowly keep looking around for the right drone to find me.
Thanks again Ken !
Old 01-19-2018, 07:20 PM

I have an extra Phantom 4 with 4k camera, it is about my favorite drone and if you decide you want one for sure I will give you an excellent deal.

Old 01-22-2018, 01:44 PM

I am interested in getting a drone and it would be my first one. I want something with decent distance and a camera. I have been leaning towards a used phantom 3 advanced or better model depending on the price.
Should i start with a cheap drone or instead of wasting $100 should i put that towards my phantom 3?
Does anyone have anything similar for sale?
Old 01-22-2018, 01:54 PM

Look at the DJI Mavic. They may be dropping in price soon as DJI is about to announce some new models in a few days. I have the original Mavic and couldn't be happier with it. I had a Phantom 2 Vision first, but the Mavic folds up nice and compact, and is much more stable, and shoots 4K video if required. Best Buy or Amazon has them for $1150.
Old 01-22-2018, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickT View Post
I am interested in getting a drone and it would be my first one. I want something with decent distance and a camera. I have been leaning towards a used phantom 3 advanced or better model depending on the price.
Should i start with a cheap drone or instead of wasting $100 should i put that towards my phantom 3?
Does anyone have anything similar for sale?
I have seen some amazing deals on Phantom 4's, I would not be in a rush at all to buy a 3. Cheap drones can be fun toys, but you get what you pay for.

Old 01-22-2018, 04:51 PM

Ya i hear ya on the "cheap" ones. I will probably keep saving and watching for a good deal on a dji and hopefully find something by spring.
Old 01-22-2018, 05:26 PM

Bigbull is correct, the Mavic is fun. It is the daintiest one so far, quite fragile but a good unit. Flight time and performance are very good plus the camera is very good.