Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-17-2018, 10:45 PM

Default Snowmobiles

So the wife and I have decided to get back into snowmobiling, we were pretty aggressive riders in our 20's but we are now in our late 40's. We each ride our own sleds, no mountains just trail riding and nice powder fields, ditch riding. So we were thinking crossover sleds, the other day I got a crazy good deal on a used arctic cat cross country 800cc. So I've rode it a couple times now and realized that I don't want to ride that fast and aggressive anymore, plus it likes the gas and oil. So I'm thinking down sizing, any one riding like the polaris voyager 550 or the arctic cat lynx 570. Any info, how they are on trails, powder, how much fuel and oil on a average ride. Or should I look at 600cc. Thanks
Old 03-17-2018, 10:57 PM

Go with a 600 etec good on fuel has some good zip
Old 03-17-2018, 10:58 PM

Budget??

Why not go a little easier on the throttle with your current sled ?? Fuel economy shouldn't be terrible if you keep out of it??

600 e-tec from skidoo is a good engine in the range your looking for. Or 4 stroke maybe ?? 900 ace would fit the bill.
Old 03-17-2018, 11:01 PM

If it was a good enough deal just learn to lay off the throttle and you wont burn as much, and wont be fixing it nearly as much either.

Downsizing when you already have a sled that you got a good deal on sounds nuts and chasing a few potential MPG on a sled is a fool's game. Even the 4 strokes burn gas its a sled.
Old 03-17-2018, 11:06 PM

I tried the yamaha venture 80 horse four stroke hated it terrible then went to 600 etec more power lighter and more fuel efficient. Have ridden with guys riding 550 and the etec is better on fuel and twice the power! Heard good things on the cleanfire and the ctec.
Old 03-17-2018, 11:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtz View Post
So the wife and I have decided to get back into snowmobiling, we were pretty aggressive riders in our 20's but we are now in our late 40's. We each ride our own sleds, no mountains just trail riding and nice powder fields, ditch riding. So we were thinking crossover sleds, the other day I got a crazy good deal on a used arctic cat cross country 800cc. So I've rode it a couple times now and realized that I don't want to ride that fast and aggressive anymore, plus it likes the gas and oil. So I'm thinking down sizing, any one riding like the polaris voyager 550 or the arctic cat lynx 570. Any info, how they are on trails, powder, how much fuel and oil on a average ride. Or should I look at 600cc. Thanks
I have a 2001 polaris Classic 500 and just bought a new Arctic Cat2016 Lynx 2000. Both 2 up models and I have just used on them on the prairies, pretty happy with both. Both pretty good on fuel, the Lynx seems to burn a bit more oil.
Top speed on both about 75mph (about 65hp) but the only time I went that fast was on a groomed trail on the lake. Not much deep powder around here this year but the bit I did go through the power was good in both. The suspension and ride on the new Lynx is the biggest difference I see, much nicer ride on the Lynx.

Old 03-17-2018, 11:30 PM

I also had a Yamaha Venture lite. Sucked azz.

Wife now rides a Polaris Voyager 600cc. We/she likes it. Enough power, light, does well in deep snow. We have enjoyed it.

We also have a 600 Polaris Pro, a 800 Pro, and a Yamaha Viper. That Viper is the mountain model but I would really like to try a short track version for on the prairies.

PCFGA on Facebook
Old 03-17-2018, 11:37 PM

I have both the voyager 550 and the 600. If I had to choose I'd go with the 600 for sure. Little more power for when you need it! I'm the same riding style as you and there is always times I like handing a bit more power in deeper snow! Gf sure likes the 550 as she can move it around easy.
Old 03-18-2018, 09:54 AM

First off welcome back to sledding!!

550s will feel like a dog compared to a 600. I doubt you would get much better mileage either. I have a 2018 summit600 etech for work and ride it a mix of trails and deep mountains. I’m averaging 13-14 mpg and am happy with that. If your worried about mileage and longevity why not look at one of the various skidoomodels with the 600 ACE. 4 stroke sleds get decent mileage last an extremely long time. Around west Yellowstone the majority of rental sleds are all skidoos equipped with the ACE. You could look at a renegade which is their cross over model. The 600ACE in a 2 up GSX will still do 55mph with ease.

Last edited by fordtruckin; 03-18-2018 at 10:01 AM.
Old 03-18-2018, 10:23 AM

I still run my 1997 Polaris 500 Indy on trapline. It uses almost total tank fuel (20 liters) full day trapping including powder, pulling sled and climbing high ridges. Great all around machine, very reliable.
Old 03-18-2018, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtruckin View Post
First off welcome back to sledding!!

550s will feel like a dog compared to a 600. I doubt you would get much better mileage either. I have a 2018 summit600 etech for work and ride it a mix of trails and deep mountains. I’m averaging 13-14 mpg and am happy with that. If your worried about mileage and longevity why not look at one of the various skidoomodels with the 600 ACE. 4 stroke sleds get decent mileage last an extremely long time. Around west Yellowstone the majority of rental sleds are all skidoos equipped with the ACE. You could look at a renegade which is their cross over model. The 600ACE in a 2 up GSX will still do 55mph with ease.
Agree. The bombardier 600 ace 60hp fourstroke great efficient, quiet little motor. We utilize them on our older Skandics (utility sled). Motor is not abrupt, plenty of power to haul couple people or tow 800lbs. Only add oil 1x year. Fill up when empty. 6000 km on ours now. Maybe install a new fuel pump soon. Overall a good little engine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ED5ED711-85D2-49A0-A673-2BA118592353.jpg (27.6 KB, 72 views)
Old 03-18-2018, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmtada View Post
Agree. The bombardier 600 ace 60hp fourstroke great efficient, quiet little motor. We utilize them on our older Skandics (utility sled). Motor is not abrupt, plenty of power to haul couple people or tow 800lbs. Only add oil 1x year. Fill up when empty. 6000 km on ours now. Maybe install a new fuel pump soon. Overall a good little engine.
And if you want a bit more you can get the 900 ACE. If I was looking for a trail sled or untility sled I’d be set on the 900. The other benefit is no premium fuel you can run 87 octane in them and like you said the oil change once a year is great. The downside would be if the battery died while you were out you can’t pull them over like a 2 stroke. However with the slim size of some of the new battery boost packs I feel that’s a non issue despite being one more piece of gear you have to carry.
Old 03-18-2018, 01:41 PM

Quote:
And if you want a bit more you can get the 900 ACE. If I was looking for a trail sled or untility sled I’d be set on the 900. The other benefit is no premium fuel you can run 87 octane in them and like you said the oil change once a year is great. The downside would be if the battery died while you were out you can’t pull them over like a 2 stroke. However with the slim size of some of the new battery boost packs I feel that’s a non issue despite being one more piece of gear you have to carry.
Trickle charge your battery in summer. We have not replaced battery in 6 years. I agree the 900 ace is a little more power (90 hp triple). i see that bombardier has installed turbo on the four stroke ace for 150hp.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg A5B33E2C-FA0B-4241-932E-BAAA7457567B.jpg (35.5 KB, 60 views)
Old 03-18-2018, 01:45 PM

Ihave been running a 600 four stroke skandic for 5 years plenty enough power excellent fuel economy and a not bad ride
Old 03-18-2018, 05:43 PM

I am driving a 2018 Polaris Assault 800 AXYS phenomenonal machine.

Lots of good ones out there.

I would give serious consideration to new 600 Etec R in Backcountry XRS.

900 Ace or Ace turbo would also be good choices.
Old 03-18-2018, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 350 mag View Post
I am driving a 2018 Polaris Assault 800 AXYS phenomenonal machine.

Lots of good ones out there.

I would give serious consideration to new 600 Etec R in Backcountry XRS.

900 Ace or Ace turbo would also be good choices.
haha a new assault is an entirely different cat then what the OP was mentioning. I will agree though, I rode the new 2019 Polaris 850 and that beast is just that, a BEAST!

Back to the OP, not sure how you feel about used but down here near West Yellowstone a lot of rental companies buy sleds every year rack up some miles and then sell them in the spring. Most of those 600 ACE sleds never see anywhere near the 45 MPH speed limit on trails outside of the park or 35 MPH in the park. Here is the link as they are starting to wind down winter operations. Most sleds will have between 2500-4500 miles. Low mile units go first but as I mentioned there are reports of these new ACE engines going upwards of 15000 miles no problem.

http://www.twotopsnowmobile.com/sales.htm
Old 03-18-2018, 09:38 PM

I bought a Polaris Lxt 550 last year and it’s been a great sled so far. I have about 1400km on it now and has worked great. The sled has no problem in moderate powder and is excellent on the groomed trails and off. It’s a very low maintenance machine which I like a lot and you can run it with barely any snow. I never really watched the fuel economy to much but the best I did so far was a 200km trip and when I fueled the sled up I had 3.5L in the tank but that was 150km of river cruising on hard pack and then the rest on tight hard pack trails.
I bought this sled for the price and functionality just because I wasn’t sure if I was going to use it to often but I could see myself now looking into a 4 stroke machine to get the great fuel mileage. If your going from a 800cc performance sled you might be a bit disappointed in s 550 fans performance, a 600cc or 4 stroke would be a much better bet.

Some times you catch the Big fish, some times you get stuck in Chip
Old 03-19-2018, 09:01 AM

Polaris 600 Switchback Assault or the SP Switchback for Polaris. Skidoo 600 in the MXZ or a Summit or Renegade Sport. MAybe the AC Crossover or Trail.

Lots of 2015-2017 new sleds out there with good clearance prices from dealers.

Out of these choices, I would go Polaris.
Old 03-19-2018, 09:11 AM

Just a second point, never and I mean never buy a liquid cooled machine for general trail riding. Used my sons liquid cooled machine once on trapline even with some snow on trails and roads and always over heating. Air cooled only way to go plus less potential breakdown problems with green snow.
Old 03-19-2018, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
Just a second point, never and I mean never buy a liquid cooled machine for general trail riding. Used my sons liquid cooled machine once on trapline even with some snow on trails and roads and always over heating. Air cooled only way to go plus less potential breakdown problems with green snow.
On a liquid cooled sled you can put scratchers on the sled. On hard pack, just flip them out and they will spray ice up into the tunnel.
Old 03-19-2018, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ren008 View Post
If it was a good enough deal just learn to lay off the throttle and you wont burn as much, and wont be fixing it nearly as much either.

Downsizing when you already have a sled that you got a good deal on sounds nuts and chasing a few potential MPG on a sled is a fool's game. Even the 4 strokes burn gas its a sled.
It's so dam hard to stay out of the throttle, it only has 180 miles on it I guess it might get a little better after break in, I should give it a chance.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180318_123923_resized_1.jpg (87.0 KB, 60 views)
Old 03-19-2018, 08:53 PM

Quote:
there are several machines both 2 n 4 stroke now have dual cooling. They do work well!!!
Old 03-19-2018, 08:58 PM

Quote:
It's so dam hard to stay out of the throttle, it only has 180 miles on it I guess it might get a little better after break in, I should give it a chance.
I don’t know how much better it will get. After break in my summit jumped up an extra mpg but I’m still only averaging 14mpg. The oil consumption does ease up after break in and generally you can use 2.5 tanks of fuel to one tank of oil on these new machines. Of course it’s still best to fill the oil every time you fill the gas tank just to keep on top of it. That is one nice machine! I love the Cat cross overs.
Old 03-19-2018, 09:13 PM

Quote:
I don’t know how much better it will get. After break in my summit jumped up an extra mpg but I’m still only averaging 14mpg. The oil consumption does ease up after break in and generally you can use 2.5 tanks of fuel to one tank of oil on these new machines. Of course it’s still best to fill the oil every time you fill the gas tank just to keep on top of it. That is one nice machine! I love the Cat cross overs.
Yah it is a nice sled, I guess i need to give it a chance. Put more miles on it and get use to it.
Old 03-20-2018, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Nice sled.
Old 03-20-2018, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Running on a trapline I would say is different than general trail riding.

PCFGA on Facebook
Old 03-20-2018, 09:44 AM

Still got my beaters, my 2000 Polaris XLC 700, and my 1992 Indy Lite 340.

TBark
Old 03-20-2018, 01:08 PM

I would definitely have a look at the Skidoo Expedition with 600 or 900 Ace. I would never go back to a two stroke. Mine has 13,000 now and I had to replace the track but the engine is just broken in. There are guys with 40,000-60,000 on these Skidoo four strokes. No smoke and uses about half the gas. The Skidoo’s easily start at -35 which a Yamaha won’t. The Expeditions also have an air rad with fan so there are no concerns about over-heating
Old 03-20-2018, 08:04 PM

Quote:
75% of the riding around me is general trail riding by tourists. The only riding in Yellowstone is trail riding. The sleds they use are skido 600 ACE four strokes. I’ve never heard of one overheating and they’re all liquid cooled. Even my 800 Polaris I’ve never had overheat rising on a trip. As mentioned throw down the scratchers and don’t just sit there and idle.
Old 03-20-2018, 08:31 PM
Banned

Got a 2015 rmk 600 I'd gladly sell. Only 300 kms on it. Going for a ride tomorrow so there might be a few more on it.