Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-16-2018, 06:50 PM

Default My brother, committed suicide.

My younger brother,who was one of my best friends,got into gambling some years ago and ended up going to rehab for gambling. It seemed to everyone that he'd gotten past it,until just a few days ago I got a text from a friend that he'd gone missing and that the police were searching for him,the next text I got, was that they found him,which was the next day. He had driven to a remote spot in the bush and shot himself in the head...unbelievable..So going back to a week or so before this,he'd taken out a bunch of credit cards and maxed them all out in the VLTs.I wonder how many other victims or potential victims are out there,suffering from what must be a debilitating disease.My brother was a good kid he had a good job,he had many friends,we camped, fished and hunted all of our lives. We never once in our lives had any sort of bad feelings toward each other,always positive and always protective..I guess what's really hard to understand is why he didn't say something me,which makes know that he must have been in total anguish, I'm crying now as I'm printing this.The good part is the great memories, his first big fish his first moose hunt all the camping and great conversations,which,no matter what we started talking about always ended up being a fishing or hunting discussion. I put this on here as sort of a memorial to him..May he rest in peace. Thank you AO folks for the great conversations that I can usually find on here, it keeps me well anchored .
If people concentrated on the really important things in life,there would be a shortage of fishing poles.Doug larson. Theres a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. Steven Wright.
Old 03-16-2018, 06:56 PM
Banned

So sorry to hear about your brother, I couldn’t even imagine the pain.
A co-worker of mine was in the same boat and also took his own life as he couldn’t deal with the depression induced by his addictions.
Old 03-16-2018, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish along View Post
My younger brother,who was one of my best friends,got into gambling some years ago and ended up going to rehab for gambling. It seemed to everyone that he'd gotten past it,until just a few days ago I got a text from a friend that he'd gone missing and that the police were searching for him,the next text I got, was that they found him,which was the next day. He had driven to a remote spot in the bush and shot himself in the head...unbelievable..So going back to a week or so before this,he'd taken out a bunch of credit cards and maxed them all out in the VLTs.I wonder how many other victims or potential victims are out there,suffering from what must be a debilitating disease.My brother was a good kid he had a good job,he had many friends,we camped, fished and hunted all of our lives. We never once in our lives had any sort of bad feelings toward each other,always positive and always protective..I guess what's really hard to understand is why he didn't say something me,which makes know that he must have been in total anguish, I'm crying now as I'm printing this.The good part is the great memories, his first big fish his first moose hunt all the camping and great conversations,which,no matter what we started talking about always ended up being a fishing or hunting discussion. I put this on here as sort of a memorial to him..May he rest in peace. Thank you AO folks for the great conversations that I can usually find on here, it keeps me well anchored .
My son has a group starting up soon, might be a help to you even if its not you personally. Suicide is never the answer, it only transfers the pain to others. I am truly sorry for your loss.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk
Old 03-16-2018, 06:57 PM

Default Deepest sympathies

I'm so terribly sorry for your pain. We've also felt this in our family. It saddens me when I hear of others suffering as we did. Prayers to you and yours
Old 03-16-2018, 06:58 PM

Default so sad

there are no words
Old 03-16-2018, 07:06 PM

Sorry man

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"I came to Ottawa with the firm belief that the only people in this country who should have guns are police officers and soldiers."

— Allan Rock, Canada's Minister of Justice
Maclean's "Taking aim on guns", 1994 April 25, Vol.107 Issue 17, page 12.

"... protection of life is NOT a legitimate use for a firearm in this country sir! Not! That is expressly ruled out!".

— Justice Minister Allan Rock
Old 03-16-2018, 07:12 PM

Sorry for your loss... Couldn't imagine what your feeling.
Old 03-16-2018, 07:13 PM

I am so sorry to hear this, you have my deepest condolences. Over the years I've had a number of close friends commit suicide, including my hunting partner 5 years ago. He had even come to my house two weeks before, and brought me all his guns because of where he was at. He was receiving medical care, his friends were all daily connecting with him....but still. He was living a double life nobody knew about too. I really know the pain and mental 'what ifs' that go through your mind. Find a good support group, it will help. TC

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 03-16-2018, 07:13 PM

Sorry to hear of your loss, I know a few people that have committed suicide as well, it's hard to understand. For some people it seems like the only way to find relief from their demons.
Old 03-16-2018, 07:18 PM

X's 5 fish along.

So sorry for you, your family and friends.

Don
Old 03-16-2018, 07:20 PM

So sorry for both you and the entire family!!
I just lost my oldest daughter Feb. 14th to addiction, and that sounds like what your brother was suffering from, different type, but they couldn't shake off the demon obviously!
You take care, and focus on your family, as you are NOT suffering on your own my friend.
Keep your chin up and think of all the GOOD times you shared!!
RBH
Old 03-16-2018, 07:22 PM

Sorry to hear about your Brother...prayers for you and your family
Zip

"Good judgement comes from experience, and experience...well,That comes from poor Judgement"
"KEEP SMILING"
Zip
Old 03-16-2018, 07:25 PM

So sorry for your loss. My condolences to your family and friends.
Old 03-16-2018, 07:27 PM
Gone Hunting

Sorry for your loss...condolences.

150 TTSX vs Goat-WOW
http://youtu.be/37JwmSOQ3pY
Old 03-16-2018, 07:29 PM
Banned

Sad to hear this.
Old 03-16-2018, 07:41 PM

Sorry for your loss. Thank you for sharing your Brother's memory with us.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
Old 03-16-2018, 07:48 PM

Condolences my unknown friend, I know exactly the sense of anger and loss you are now dealing with.
Old 03-16-2018, 07:51 PM

I am so sorry, my deepest condolences for family and friends.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 03-16-2018, 07:56 PM

So sorry Fish Along for your loss. May you find peace.
Old 03-16-2018, 07:57 PM

I can only imagine your grief

It's good you can talk about it

Take care !!
Old 03-16-2018, 08:05 PM

So sorry bud ...... may he rest in peace

Take some time off and fishalong
Old 03-16-2018, 08:22 PM
Banned

I've lost 3 friends to suicide 2 in the last year. It's horrible. Sorry for your loss.
Old 03-16-2018, 08:22 PM

I'm sorry to read what had happened, condolences to you and your family.
Old 03-16-2018, 08:37 PM

My sincerest condolences to you and your family.

I can't imagine what you are going through now and I could only wish that the fond memories of your brother will serve to help you get through this difficult time.
Old 03-16-2018, 08:41 PM

So sorry to hear of this. All the best to you and your family.

Hopefully you find time to look after yourself and watch other family members that were close to your brother as you go through the next days, weeks and months.
Old 03-16-2018, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
My sincerest condolences to you and your family.

I can't imagine what you are going through now and I could only wish that the fond memories of your brother will serve to help you get through this difficult time.
My sentiments as well. Really unfortunate. Come together as a family and remember the good times.

Maybe someone reading this thread notices the same type of behaviour towards the end (So going back to a week or so before this,he'd taken out a bunch of credit cards and maxed them all out in the VLTs) and can help prevent someone else from a tragic choice.
John 3:16
Firearms Owners are the difference between FREEDOM & TYRANNY!
Gun Control is Population Control
Old 03-16-2018, 08:44 PM

Sorry for your loss
Old 03-16-2018, 09:08 PM

So sorry to hear about your loss, especially to that demon.

Couldn't imagine life without my bro.
Zeke
Old 03-16-2018, 09:12 PM
Banned

You are not alone and there are so many people going through what you're going through right now. I personally know 3 people who have committed suicide in the last 8 or 9 months. I can't for the life of me understand why or how but you have to keep on keeping on as they say.

I hope that you and the rest of your family are able to move on through this and understand that there are just some things in life that can't be foreseen or controlled, there are things in life that just happen without control. Best of luck to you, sorry for your loss.
Old 03-16-2018, 09:17 PM

Sorry for your loss....