Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 03-16-2018, 01:28 PM

Default Back Tension Release

Hello everyone so the last couple years I have been picking up some real bad habits when it comes to archery shooting. Seems like I have bad target panic I will shoot couple good shots then couple real bad ones , almost like I am punching the shot to fast . I understand there will be lots of feed back on what I could try , my question is what’s people thoughts on the back tension release , does it help with these issues , please help I am getting fustrated .
Old 03-16-2018, 04:18 PM

I use a SCAT and a Back Strap release to train and try to stay away from Target panic habits. I compete with an Echo or a Execute release.

These are all caliper or mimic caliper releases.

LC
Old 03-17-2018, 10:51 PM

I had a terrible case of TP! It's definitely been a journey through this affliction. After all I've been through, the best help I found was through John Dudley and Nock On Archery. I've used both the carter evolution and his Silver back release, simply amazing tools. Wish I would have started with them!!! Good luck to u ! The work is worth it!
Old 03-18-2018, 08:05 AM

X2 for Dudley and the Carter evolution. Just got mine at Christmas and have been practicing with it semi regular. It is evident how bad you really are at punching the trigger when you first start using a back tension release. Your mind almost involuntarily wants to punch it when that pin floats across that spot on the target but the release doesn’t let you and then your muscles relax because usually the arrow is gone by now and you end up looking really funny. Even trying to fix myself using Dudley’s techniques with my wrist strap didn’t completely work (as was evident when i got my evolution) I got better but it was still there.
Old 03-18-2018, 08:14 AM

Yes! Taking the sight pin right off the bow and shooting close range is a great way to begin to retrain your muscle memory. The tension releases will teach you proper form and execution in a hurry.
Old 03-22-2018, 05:23 AM

I've had SEVERE target panic for a few years now. The Evolution is definetly a step in the right directiion. I can't help you with the cure because I haven't found it yet and I have tried everything. One thing that gets recommended a lot is blank bailing. It might work for some people but it doesn't work for everyone. I've shot thousands of arrows at 3-5 yards with no sight on my bow. Great for form practice that's about it.

Good luck finding a cure and maybe check out Joel Turner at ShotIQ.com
Old 03-22-2018, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newdrenalin View Post
I've had SEVERE target panic for a few years now. The Evolution is definetly a step in the right directiion. I can't help you with the cure because I haven't found it yet and I have tried everything. One thing that gets recommended a lot is blank bailing. It might work for some people but it doesn't work for everyone. I've shot thousands of arrows at 3-5 yards with no sight on my bow. Great for form practice that's about it.

Good luck finding a cure and maybe check out Joel Turner at ShotIQ.com
Joel Turner is coming up to Calgary for two one day workshops this weekend. Looking forward to attending, I believe both days are full up and sold out.

LC
Old 03-23-2018, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
Joel Turner is coming up to Calgary for two one day workshops this weekend. Looking forward to attending, I believe both days are full up and sold out.

LC
**** ! I wish i would have known. Where can i find out for sure ? I tried google