Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 03-10-2018, 07:03 PM

Default Bow draw length

I’ve been wanting to get into archery for a long time. Only problem is my draw length. I’m at 31.5” and a lefty to make things more fun. So this pretty much puts me into the real expensive stuff realm and that’s a tough sell to the Mrs.

I do notice a lot of used bows around the 30.5” mark and is this something I’d be able to shoot? Is this a good idea?

Opinions please.

Thanks
Old 03-10-2018, 09:05 PM

My moms beau is a long armed lefty. If memory serves correct he runs a Mathews Z7 long draw. I think he shoots around 31” or 31.5” dl. As much as I despise Mathews I’ll begrudgingly throw them a bone here.
Old 03-10-2018, 09:08 PM
Banned

Do you currently have a bow? I'm a 29" draw and I find drawing a 28" bow to be fatiguing much faster than my proper draw length so I imagine it would be a similar result for you.

A couple tricks you can do is use side plates rather than a handle so you're actually shooting off the riser, this will gain you about 1/4". Add some twists to your cables, you can usually safely gain about 1/2" of draw length and add about 5lbs to your maxdraw length. One more thing is lengthen out your release. If you do all three of these things you should be able to gain an inch of draw length.
Old 03-10-2018, 09:14 PM

Don’t own a bow yet. Really only thing keeping me out of the game is paying $2000 for something I may like knowing how hard it would be to sell. Appreciate the reply’s.
Old 03-10-2018, 09:17 PM

Although it is always best to shoot your proper draw length, it is much better to shoot a bow that is a little too short versus a bow that is too long, as your form and stability will not suffer nearly as much.

Do yourself a favor and try more than 1 brand out for draw length, if you haven't already. A Hoyt or Bowtech is typically very close for draw length, while some other brands may draw "a little" longer than advertised mainly to make speed claims. In some cases 3/4" to 1", believe it or not.

Best advice I can provide would be to try and get a bow, new or used, at a reputable archery shop so that you can be sure it fits you and is set up properly. If it is a private sale, try and get to someone who knows what they are doing so they can be sure it fits you properly.

For what it's worth, I don't think there is a premium price applied to a left handed long draw bow. It may be a special order, but I am not aware of a premium.

Norm
Old 03-11-2018, 09:25 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESOXangler View Post
Don’t own a bow yet. Really only thing keeping me out of the game is paying $2000 for something I may like knowing how hard it would be to sell. Appreciate the reply’s.
I suspected you haven't got a bow. Best thing to do is go to a pro shop and have them verify which is your dominant eye and verify your actual draw length. I'm not saying you're a left handed 32" draw but get it verified.

Secondly, left hand archery equipment, especially used, seems to be cheaper than right handed. If you look on eBay at bow sights and rests you'll find the left hand models are cheaper??? Not sure why but they are.

32" is uber long draw, how do you know you are a 32" draw?
Old 03-15-2018, 02:27 PM

I am a 33" draw length RH and I know that I had issues finding a bow to fit me.
However there seems to be more selection now then in the past even when I Bought mine in 2015.

Some things to consider at that draw length is that you can make up some of it with a little longer D loop and release that is adjustable.

Good luck with the search.
Old 03-16-2018, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowhunter13 View Post
I am a 33" draw length RH and I know that I had issues finding a bow to fit me.
However there seems to be more selection now then in the past even when I Bought mine in 2015.

Some things to consider at that draw length is that you can make up some of it with a little longer D loop and release that is adjustable.

Good luck with the search.
How tall are you?
Old 03-16-2018, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddeerhunter View Post
How tall are you?
33" draw? 6'17!!!

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 03-16-2018, 08:57 PM
Banned

I shoot a 34" draw but that's with both feet on my riser....
Old 03-17-2018, 12:19 AM

Most likely a bow that is adjustable to 31 would work, then possibly some cable twisting for a minor adjustment, or a D-loop will get you into the 31-32 zone. The other consideration is arrow length, as current bows don't have overdraws to use, to be able to shorten up the arrow length. Depending on what bow you wind up with, long arrows can limit your selection a bit due to spine, something that shorter draw people don't have to consider as much. If you want run 100-125gr heads, you'll have to run stiffer arrows than most people, because of the length. Whatever you do, go to a pro shop to get measured and set up. I shot 30" bows and a loop to get to 31.5 if I couldn't get a proper 31 from whatever model I shot at the time. Not terribly difficult to get up to a 1/4" from the bow and 1/4"string stretch, and an inch from a loop without messing with the cam timing too much, but is simpler, if you don't have to mess with timing at all.
Old 03-17-2018, 07:31 AM

Adjusting D-loop length only changes anchor but does not affect true draw length.

Best to get measured properly and if you are still a true 33” the Bowtech BT Mag X, or the Hoyt Double XL will match your draw length.

LC
Old 03-17-2018, 02:23 PM

Default Goat tuff equalizer.

https://youtu.be/9Px6JQ8Z284

Might be of help ?
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 03-19-2018, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddeerhunter View Post
How tall are you?
I dont want to hijack the thread but I am 6'6" and have had my draw length measured several times by multiple shops cause no one believes you when you say a 33" draw length but I am. I haven't shot the bowtech or the hyot xxl as they were not available when I bought mine I shoot the Elite Victory39 in a 32" draw length.
Old 03-19-2018, 10:21 PM

The Mathews Z9 is a long draw bow. Up to 32" if I remember correctly.
Old 04-04-2018, 07:53 AM

https://www.camofire.com/index.php/Deals/25

Might fit the bill!
Old 02-23-2019, 05:28 PM

I know this is an older post, been a member on this site for a long time and strangely enough this is my first post lol. I had calgary archery center place a custom order through hoyt several years back. My measured draw length is 35", I have the xt 3000 limbs giving my bow a 34" draw . Using a release it seems to fit perfect and works extremely well. I have to use full length arrows, which are getting harder to find long enough. Standard arrow lengths don't seem to be as long as they use to be.

Last edited by jungleboy; 01-01-2024 at 09:40 AM.