Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-18-2018, 09:10 AM

Default Quesnel derby 1937

Wondering if anyone knows what the Quesnel derby was?

I have a trophy from the Quesnel derby 1937. engraved on the bottom that it was donated by Hudson Bay company.

It was given to me by a family member, not looking to sell it just wondering about the history.

I am assuming it was from a horse race as my family used to do a fair amount of racing. Google search hasn't turned anything up.

Thanks for any info,
Buckbrush.
Old 03-18-2018, 10:07 AM

http://search-bcarchives.royalbcmuse...snel-racetrack

The horse track was in Lebordais Park beside our new arena.
It was used as the first stock car track in the 40's or 50's.
I have never heard of a Quesnel Derby but I can stop by the museum and see if there is any info there.
Very cool find.
Old 03-19-2018, 12:19 AM

The Quesnel Derby was one of several horse races that were run on Dominion Day of that year. The horse that won that particular race, the Quesnel Derby Race, was named Joe Brush and was apparently owned a N. Baker who may have been related to Dr. G. R. Baker.
The Quesnel hospital is named after Dr. Baker.

Last edited by Ishpah; 03-19-2018 at 12:33 AM.
Old 03-19-2018, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishpah View Post
The Quesnel Derby was one of several horse races that were run on Dominion Day of that year. The horse that won that particular race, the Quesnel Derby Race, was named Joe Brush and was apparently owned a N. Baker who may have been related to Dr. G. R. Baker.
The Quesnel hospital is named after Dr. Baker.
Thanks! Any idea who the jockey or trainer may have been?
Old 03-19-2018, 08:29 PM

The owner of Joe Brush was Nellie Baker who at one time was married to Doc Baker.
They owned the Northstar Ranch which is the current site of Cariboo Pulp. The ranch was just across the Quesnel River from town.
Nellie had one child from a previously relationship. Doc never had children of his own.
Nellie was a true pioneer so she had a lot of “horse sense” and it would be a good assumption that she was trainer and jockey. She used to ferry the Doc around to his calls in horse and buggy or sleigh in winter.
Nellie’s only child was a daughter so any prodigy would not likely bear the Baker surname. Which brings me to the question, do you have a connection to Nellie?
Just a little more about Nellie and Doc.
Nellie’s maiden surname was English and her father was also a pioneer doctor down in the Ashcroft area. Old Doc English was an ardent fisherman and there is a lake in the Cariboo appropriately named Doc English Lake.
Doc Baker was an ardent fly fisherman and tied his own flies. I have seen some and they were quite impressive considering the time era. A friend was given Doc’s gear including his old split cane fly rod which at the time the guide winding were deteriorating.