Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 09-30-2010, 08:30 PM

Default one gun...two shooters...different POI ????

So due to circumstances beyond my control...ok..a serious case of procrastination and the sudden closure of Emiles range in Red Deer...I asked my brother to check the zero on my rifle before our hunting trip this weekend.

Range report was that it was high and right 3-4 inches. I havent shot this gun since last season and it was spot on for me at the time. I don't think that its been bumped or jarred( sitting in the safe).

I guess my question would be whether different shooters will have different results with the same rifle ?
Old 09-30-2010, 09:04 PM

Sure, for instance I am a south paw and my brother is the other kind. He also happens to can't the rifle slightly so his are always low and right it seems. It isn't by much but it is noticeable.
Old 09-30-2010, 09:10 PM

This is interesting. Most of the hunting rifles I shoot are my dad's. He's a righty and I'm a lefty. He always looks at me a bit funny when I ask him if I can tweak his scopes. It is very common for our groups to be up to 3" appart.

I'm no pro, but I don't think I have any serious issues with my form. Lately I've been getting 3/4" groups from my new 243.
Old 09-30-2010, 09:17 PM

Blackman and I both shoot match rifles and hunting rifles.
it does not matter which rifle we are using - scope or irons, at 200 meters our POI is noticeably different, my son's and mine not so much.
My father had a POI about 1" different than mine at 50 yards with a smallbore match rifle.
I should add that my older brother's POI and mine are almost identical .
Cat
Old 10-01-2010, 12:15 AM

Every person's 4 fundamentals of shooting (Breathing, Sight Picture, Trigger Squeeze and Position) will be different. as a result if you hand me a rifle it could have a perfect zero for you but that doesn't mean I will get the same results. In theory if a rifle is perfectly zeroed anyone should be able to pick it up and be group well, but in reality this doesn't happen.
Old 10-01-2010, 05:51 AM

It could be the firearm. Wood stocks will act like a sponge to a degree, which can affect poi. You need to sight it.
Old 10-01-2010, 10:55 AM

Sounds like I might have to set a target up at camp and just double check that walleyed ol Shooterbuck had his corrective lenses on.....
Attached Images
File Type: bmp bubbs.bmp (24.6 KB, 57 views)
Old 10-01-2010, 05:26 PM

I noticed this exact same phenomena at the range, when the guys start trying out each other's rifles. With some rigs it makes a difference, with others not.