Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 06-10-2019, 11:05 AM

Default Bighorn Sheep Movement?

Hello I am looking for some info on how far bighorn sheep will move from there winter grounds in the summer? I have looked online and can’t find much info on it at all. I have went scouting twice now this spring and have found lots of ewes and 2 legal rams in a general WMU. So I am curious if some more experienced sheep hunters know how far they will be when it comes close to the season opener? Also would they still be in there wintering grounds in May/June?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-10-2019, 12:47 PM

This can change vastly from year to year. And how much pressure they have.
Both from predators and from humans.
Sheep tend to say with-in 10 miles year around, but can change hugely when pushed.
You may see a bunch of sheep in a couple drainages all summer, and then they move off once the late summer early fall hits.
You hope to find them in the same spots, and sometimes you are lucky, but you are going to have to burn leather to find them each time.
We hunt the same 10 holes each year, sometimes they are in them, sometimes not. But each year seams to be different.
WE have also found that the temperature has a huge role in where they are at a given time of the year.
Hope this helps.
Old 06-10-2019, 12:51 PM

Those rams could be fairly close come fall or as far away as 50+ miles. Tough to say. They will leave their winter range in the spring and start to head off to summer range as the habitat greens up/snow goes and then may use several different ranges through out the year. Generally rams will use the same ranges year in and year out but not always. Females have a greater affinity for a particular range at a particular time than rams do. Something like 90% vs 75% ish but don't quote me on the numbers on that one. Valerious Geist has some good reading on the subject in "Mountain Sheep, A Study in Behaviour and Evolution".
Old 06-11-2019, 05:43 AM

I have seem rams on the river bank within walking distance of turner valley in the middle of summer and rams way out back at 8000ft in 3 feet of snow in February. You can try but I have a hard time making sense of those goofy buggers. Find some animals and try doing your own research. Every Hurd seems to do different stuff.
Old 06-11-2019, 11:44 AM

Default Bighorn Sheep Movement?

Thanks for the feedback so far, So if there isn’t any human/predator pressure there likely to stay in the same general mountain area if there is enough food? I know they start to migrate around in October but just unsure from now till the opener. Just curious if I should keep focusing in that area come the opener or if all those sheep just move into a park/protected areas before the opener

Old 06-11-2019, 02:06 PM

Somewhere between all of the above and none of the above.
Old 06-11-2019, 04:49 PM

Really don’t see why some people are leaving rude comments. The OP didn’t ask for any locations of where sheep are or a WMU to hunt. He has gone out and did the leg work already and it’s only early summer. He is obviously willing to work for it. I don’t see why asking some more experienced sheep hunters on the movement of sheep between seasons deserves negative answers. Sad what this forum has become lately. Never see any actual help or I put on any posts just negative comments.
Old 06-11-2019, 05:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose1234 View Post
Really don’t see why some people are leaving rude comments. The OP didn’t ask for any locations of where sheep are or a WMU to hunt. He has gone out and did the leg work already and it’s only early summer. He is obviously willing to work for it. I don’t see why asking some more experienced sheep hunters on the movement of sheep between seasons deserves negative answers. Sad what this forum has become lately. Never see any actual help or I put on any posts just negative comments.
Your right he is different

It’s draw season unfortunately. So there’s a million guys always posting the same question. Heyyy my dad is older, probably his last hunt. Looking for a spot to go where we could have a chance at a big moose. It’s probably his last hunt. Not looking for a honey hole but gps coordinates would be nice. Im from southern Alberta so I can’t come up and scout. A lot of permission would be appreciated too. He’s coming from Back home Newfoundland. He’s really looking forward to this. Please help

Guys that actually do the leg work and put the miles on their boots with actual questions get caught in the mix
Old 06-11-2019, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose1234 View Post
I gotta ask who was making rude comments. I haven't seen anything rude, and what does the last two posts have anything to add to answer the OP's question. To answer the question, sheep can do some unpredictable things and yet they can also be like clock work as to what and where they move. So the old adage they are where they are is kinda true. I've seen sheep move just a short distance from their wintering grounds to totally vanish out of the area. I've seen sheep at the tops of mountains in the summer time, to standing in creeks in the summer time.
Old 06-11-2019, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summit151 View Post
Hello I am looking for some info on how far bighorn sheep will move from there winter grounds in the summer? I have looked online and can’t find much info on it at all. I have went scouting twice now this spring and have found lots of ewes and 2 legal rams in a general WMU. So I am curious if some more experienced sheep hunters know how far they will be when it comes close to the season opener? Also would they still be in there wintering grounds in May/June?

Thanks

I suggest keeping an eye on them during the summer months, see if you can pattern them. See where they like to be at different occasions.
When the time comes, get in there before opener, locate, sit and wait.
If anything, you’ll get to know the country a lot better.
Good luck
Old 06-12-2019, 07:16 AM

Rams focus on food and security unless it’s breeding season. I see bands for months at a time on same ranges Ewes and lambs are very loyal to territory while ram groups can come and go. I suspect the bands of rams will check on ewe herds in their territory on their walk-abouts
Old 06-12-2019, 07:56 AM

Quote:

Thanks

I have next to zero experience when it comes to sheep hunting so take this for what it is worth. When I find a mule deer or white tail that I want to focus on, I start keeping a log. I will log what time I see them, what they are doing, what the weather is, the temperature and what other animals they are with. Since it is mostly a farm land hunt, I also keep track of any pressure they are seeing like spraying, cutting hay, moving cows, ect.... You might be able to do the same and draw some conclusions. I would track where you see the band, how many are in the group, the weather, the temp, is there any other wildlife around like elk, bears, or deer that could impact their movement and if there is any other human presence. From there you might be able to draw some correlations as to where they are in a given scenario.
Old 06-13-2019, 12:56 PM

If your on rams your good to go. Just look for them a little higher in the non winter months. You may need to get above them to spot them as they like to hide in little depressions you can't see from below that would be filled with snow during winter months. No guarantee they will be in the same bowl so you should find at least half a dozen to hunt if you can. They don't generally move far unless they are given a reason. So if you can't find them where you are best to move on instead of waiting it out.
Old 06-13-2019, 02:00 PM

Here is a little reading on the subject of sheep movement/migration.

Old 06-13-2019, 03:04 PM

Similar to Geist's observations, the few Alberta telemetry studies show that ram movement varies to the individual. Typical migration range from 15-25 miles between winter and summer range. The path taken varies greatly. Some rams backtrack on the same route, others will do a big loop back to winter range.

Chances are that a particular ram will NOT be in the same location in May then Aug/Sept. He will likely still be many miles away, with a 50/50 chance that he will pass through that area come migration time in Oct/Nov.

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 06-13-2019, 07:53 PM

Thanks for all the info guys! Seems like there is no given distance or area a ram will travel to. The study done out of the book helps explain there movement a lot. So from real world experience has anyone seen sheep head to low ground and cross a large valley to a different mountain range or do they typically stay high and just move along the mountain ranges they are on?

Old 06-13-2019, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Thanks for all the info guys! Seems like there is no given distance or area a ram will travel to. The study done out of the book helps explain there movement a lot. So from real world experience has anyone seen sheep head to low ground and cross a large valley to a different mountain range or do they typically stay high and just move along the mountain ranges they are on?

They will do both. They got no problem crossing valleys from range to range. I don't think they feel especially comfortable in the low bush so I don't think they waste any time crossing. Even goats will do it, we seen a goat swimming across the Turnagain river in N BC once crossing from one range to the other. First thought was a white wolf, but it was a goat. Got out of the river, shook off, and next thing you know he is climbing out of the bush above treeline.
Old 07-25-2019, 07:20 AM

To summit151, pls empty your inbox
Old 07-25-2019, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdub View Post
Somewhere between all of the above and none of the above.
The important one relates to rams moving towards the ewes, in breeding season.

Grizz
Old 07-25-2019, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
The important one relates to rams moving towards the ewes, in breeding season.

Grizz
Bingo !!
Old 07-31-2019, 09:48 PM

Nice- they like chasing after the ladies...
Old 07-31-2019, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petster774 View Post
Nice- they like chasing after the ladies...
Yup in December!
Old 08-06-2019, 01:16 PM

What book were the pics above from?
Old 08-06-2019, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madpiper View Post
What book were the pics above from?