Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-09-2019, 07:32 PM

Default Any problems W/Minn Kota Terrova i-pilot bow mount bt

Those of you that have this motor have you had any issues with it . I have a new one to mount courteous of my good wife & was excited about the features but not sure now after I looked over the manual , seems a little too complicated . Didn't realize you have to Get heading sensor, I-pilot, hand held control all to sink so everything works . Researched issues & some have problems with the remote not sinking , some with problems internal in the head of unit , not sinking together .These are just two examples. At least I have the option to return the unit, I'm debating to go for just the basic power drive without all the bells & whistles. I used to have one with auto pilot not co pilot like someone thought in a retail store, until the internal board burnt out last year . Anyway any thoughts would be appreciated .
Old 06-09-2019, 07:55 PM

I have the ulterra. had an error code rf , and now have sent the wireless remote to minnkoda for warranty replacement . been 2 weeks so far, hope this week we get back.
Old 06-09-2019, 08:01 PM

The technology is worth the risk of a rare failure. Minn kota has a top notch service department and will fix you up in the off chance of an issue.

Im on my 4th ipilot link motor....no issues whatsoever and i did the installs on each one myself. Follow the instructions its not that complicated.

The ipilot features are so worth it.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
Old 06-10-2019, 07:07 AM

Mine has worked flawlessly for 4 years.
Old 06-10-2019, 08:16 AM

I have a power drive with i pilot/remote and i love it. I would jump at the chance to upgrade to the set up that you will have if you move forward with it. There really arent any extra pieces associated from the power drive to the terrova from what i understand. That heading sensor is a function of the i pilot associated mostly for the jog feature im pretty sure.

The main difference for the trolling motor itself is the higher thrust as well as the lift assist arm. Both of which you will want to have. The deploying of the powerdrive without the arm is a pain to be honest, always works, but would be nicer to have that arm.

Ive had mine around 4 years as well and i have been waiting for an issue to arise but it never has yet. Always keep a spare battery for the i pilot hand remote because its a pain to find at times, very specific. I also cover the head of the trolling motor up to prevent dust and rocks etc while driving on the road. You can also get a bracket to fasten it to the hull of the boat while transporting as well to save it bouncing around a ton. I think that will def help. You will love that set up. Dont be nervous! If you are that nervous to downgrade then i would reccomend not even bothering with i pilot and just using the wired foot remote (which i hate, but bass fisherman swear by them). Keep the set up its perfect!
Old 06-11-2019, 02:15 AM

Unless they have changed something you don't even necessarily need to use the heading sensor unless you want to use certain features ( spot lock drift? i think?)

I just linked the remote on mine and was of to the races. It has been absolutely flawless.
Old 06-11-2019, 05:36 AM

I have the ulterra. I believe it’s the remote acting up but it’s out of its warranty so I am using the foot peddle now. The replace remotes are so crazy expensive.
Old 06-11-2019, 07:34 AM

I basically just use the remote to change speeds, I let the Solix do the driving. This is very impressive technology.
Old 06-11-2019, 11:34 AM

Default Minn Kota Terrova i-pilot

Thank You everyone for your information & opinions on this motor . Much appreciated
Old 06-11-2019, 07:54 PM

You only need the heading sensor if using the “jog” option on Spot Lock. I have a new Power Drive with all the options and I also bought the heading sensor. All of this makes fishing awesome. My favourite lake already has 5 tracks recorded on iPilot. Throw the boat in the water hit go to on the remote and I am fishing and not steering the boat. I even hit spot lock and have a snooze while on the water. You will love the new unit !!

Dodger.
Old 06-12-2019, 09:18 AM

Default Update on Minn Kota Terrova W/i-pilot

With all the positive response I thought keep it & try to mount the motor . Not that simple , putting it on a 1988 16 FT. Misty River Tournament Series which has a existing bow mount platform for mounting electric bow mounts . Center of Platform is 21 " from point of keel , is 16 1/4 W x 11 1/2 " D & about 3/8 to a 1/4 high above the bow . Aluminum support underneath at the edge of platform toward keel . My old Auto pilot mounted without any issues using the MKA 16 quick release bracket . The motor base on it is 15 1/4 " long & Terrova is 17 " a difference of 1.6 " . My original quick release fits motor fine but I can't seem to get the required 1 1/2 " clearance for the shaft from gunwale while deployed without sliding & mounting the motor unit up to the middle holes on the top bracket base . This allows the minimum 4 hole mounting but creates a problem with the release lever on the motor while you push down it touches down on power wire . The bottom base can be bolted with minimum of 4 bolts & possible 5 depending On angle position of quick release bottom base . Seems solid but this results in a over hang of bottom base from mounting platform & when motor is on adding weight it could cause a issue once moving over the water . Add support on this end ? . Spent considerable time trying to figure out . Will have to return unit if solution isn't found . Hence no bow mount for this boat . Need help , any suggestions .
Old 06-12-2019, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitetail200 View Post
With all the positive response I thought keep it & try to mount the motor . Not that simple , putting it on a 1988 16 FT. Misty River Tournament Series which has a existing bow mount platform for mounting electric bow mounts . Center of Platform is 21 " from point of keel , is 16 1/4 W x 11 1/2 " D & about 3/8 to a 1/4 high above the bow . Aluminum support underneath at the edge of platform toward keel . My old Auto pilot mounted without any issues using the MKA 16 quick release bracket . The motor base on it is 15 1/4 " long & Terrova is 17 " a difference of 1.6 " . My original quick release fits motor fine but I can't seem to get the required 1 1/2 " clearance for the shaft from gunwale while deployed without sliding & mounting the motor unit up to the middle holes on the top bracket base . This allows the minimum 4 hole mounting but creates a problem with the release lever on the motor while you push down it touches down on power wire . The bottom base can be bolted with minimum of 4 bolts & possible 5 depending On angle position of quick release bottom base . Seems solid but this results in a over hang of bottom base from mounting platform & when motor is on adding weight it could cause a issue once moving over the water . Add support on this end ? . Spent considerable time trying to figure out . Will have to return unit if solution isn't found . Hence no bow mount for this boat . Need help , any suggestions .
Post up some pictures?

Almost anything can be made to work with some modifications. Im sure you will get some good suggestions on here. Also some comments from the "buy a new boat" guys.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
Old 06-12-2019, 09:26 AM

Default How to add pictures from I phone

I will add pictures of the mounting platform on 16 FT. misty river for adding Minn Kota Terrova if I can figure out how to do . Thanks
Old 06-12-2019, 09:31 AM

Default Retired

No new boat for me only modification suggestions . Although I would love one if I had 70 grand to put out . Thank You
Old 06-12-2019, 09:40 AM

If its an older set up you have do you have 24v available for the new trolling motor? Was just thinking about it. Thats one if the only reasons i didnt upgrade is that you needed 24V source instead of a 12V for the power drive.
Old 06-12-2019, 01:02 PM

Default Terrova i-pilot

This model is 12 volt system
Old 06-12-2019, 01:16 PM

Quote:
This model is 12 volt system
Hhmmm interesting. I thought it only came in 24v. Thats good news.
Old 06-12-2019, 05:06 PM

Can you just make a solid base and attach it to the boat then attach your quick release base to it? Just trying to get a picture in my head of what your struggle is. It’s always frustrating when new equipment becomes a battle.

Dodger.
Old 06-12-2019, 07:32 PM

Default solid base

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger View Post
Can you just make a solid base and attach it to the boat then attach your quick release base to it? Just trying to get a picture in my head of what your struggle is. It’s always frustrating when new equipment becomes a battle.

Dodger.
Hi Dodger , that's a idea that might work if its long enough to reach the gunwale then adjust the base of motor to get the minimum 1 1/2 " clearance for motor shaft , mark & drill for mounting. I will look it over & measure . Thank You .
Old 06-12-2019, 07:53 PM

minn koda warranty the remote control for my ulterra . we have the new one to try out this weekend.
Old 06-17-2019, 01:15 PM

Quote:
If it's mounted properly (on my boat it's at a 50 degree angle or so) the only issue you might have is not having enough on the bow to bolt to. Never heard of this issue.

But as others have mentioned - easy fix with a run to a fab shop to make you up a "bolt up to" bracket.
Old 06-17-2019, 01:21 PM

I have had the Terrova 24v 80# 60" I-pilot link motor since 2013. Not one single issue with the unit or the remote. It's been awesome for me.
Old 06-17-2019, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish99 View Post
minn koda warranty the remote control for my ulterra . we have the new one to try out this weekend.
paired the new remote to the minn koda and it works again. thanks to the 2 year warranty it was free.
Old 06-18-2019, 06:47 AM

Default Motor

Same mine flawless unless u hook your battery’s wrong like I did the second season