Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-15-2019, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by npauls View Post
Hey dodger long time not chat.

Head to canadian tire and try some fin tech knuckle ball jigs. I have never had a problem with them.
Thanks ! How has the fishin been for ya?

Dodger.
Old 06-15-2019, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raw outdoors View Post
What’s your favourite colour and size I will send you one that you will never straighten out.
I have 10 jigs each coming from 4 different manufacturers. Hopefully I will have this nailed down this summer. Thanks for the kind offer

Dodger.
Old 06-15-2019, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walleyechaser View Post
Why titanium leader? 15-20 lb fluorocarbon is all you want for southern Alberta reservoirs, pike dont break 20lb fluoro too easy if you hook into one

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
I spent the previous winter making lots of leaders, I went with 30/lb flouro leader ( not line ). Last summer I had some crimping clasps failures and failures on the flouro. The titanium leaders “ use to “ last forever and are no hindrance in my catching Walleye. I found a good one from a US manufacturer that has already proven itself. Now I have more of them coming.

The clasp failures from the leaders I bought and the ones I made are why I spent time looking for a quality product.

The theme of this thread is a large portion of manufacturers are making junk and will only produce cheaper cr#$ in the coming years.

Dodger.
Old 06-16-2019, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7mmremmag View Post
I haven’t used them a lot yet but the quality from big sky flies and jigs is really good.
I have, and do almost exclusively use big sky Jigs. Great quality hooks, all hand made hand painted, right here in southern Alberta. Call Dan up, he will make anything you want, and any quantity you want.

Www.bigskyflies.ca
Old 06-16-2019, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger View Post
I spent the previous winter making lots of leaders, I went with 30/lb flouro leader ( not line ). Last summer I had some crimping clasps failures and failures on the flouro. The titanium leaders “ use to “ last forever and are no hindrance in my catching Walleye. I found a good one from a US manufacturer that has already proven itself. Now I have more of them coming.

The clasp failures from the leaders I bought and the ones I made are why I spent time looking for a quality product.

The theme of this thread is a large portion of manufacturers are making junk and will only produce cheaper cr#$ in the coming years.

Dodger.
I know its not cool or sexy, but I've gone to making my leaders out of mono leader materiel and have nothing but good things to report. For straight up pike fishing I use 80lb Berkley Big Game leader material, it does get chewed up after about a dozen fish or so but I have never had one fail. Infact, because it doesn't kink I would almost say its often in better shape at that point than a steel leader. I also make leaders out of single strand steel because my work gives me the wire for free, having learned long ago to mistrust crimps I prefer my uni-knots and haywire twists to commercial leaders.

I've used as light as 40lb Mono material with good results, if I could find lighter material I'd be confident trying it. Just have a look at the business end after each fish and replace when necessary.

Last edited by Bushleague; 06-16-2019 at 10:19 AM.
Old 06-16-2019, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kouleerunner View Post
I have, and do almost exclusively use big sky Jigs. Great quality hooks, all hand made hand painted, right here in southern Alberta. Call Dan up, he will make anything you want, and any quantity you want.

Www.bigskyflies.ca
Thanks, I saved the link. I see he is sold out of the one I want to try but I’ll probably get an order in.

Dodger
Old 06-16-2019, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushleague View Post
I know its not cool or sexy, but I've gone to making my leaders out of mono leader materiel and have nothing but good things to report. For straight up pike fishing I use 80lb Berkley Big Game leader material, it does get chewed up after about a dozen fish or so but I have never had one fail. Infact, because it doesn't kink I would almost say its often in better shape at that point than a steel leader. I also make leaders out of single strand steel because my work gives me the wire for free, having learned long ago to mistrust crimps I prefer my uni-knots and haywire twists to commercial leaders.

I've used as light as 40lb Mono material with good results, if I could find lighter material I'd be confident trying it. Just have a look at the business end after each fish and replace when necessary.
Anytime someone makes something for themselves it’s always cool

The reason I went to titanium was a steel leader would kink after 1-2 Pike and be garbage. The titanium never kinked ever...................until the cr$& titanium leaders of 2019. So yesterday a had a 30 fish day and today I went to a Pike lake and caught 30+ Pike today. The new titanium leader i brought in from the US is still like new ( awesomeness ). No more Bass/Cab/Fishinhole Chinese leaders again.

Dodger.
Old 06-16-2019, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger View Post
Thanks ! How has the fishin been for ya?

Dodger.
Unfortunately my fishing trips are very limited the last few years. My son is into baseball big time and plays summer ball which takes up 6 days a week for 9 weeks. So usually his season ends and bow hunting starts within a week or 2 so my walleye fishing is almost non existent lately.

How about you. How has fishing been?

Ty those knuckle balls out. I dont think you will be disappointed.

As mentioned earlier, try big sky jigs as well. Dan makes them all in med. Hat. They are solid jigs.
Old 06-17-2019, 07:37 AM

Knuckle Balls, VMC Hammerhead, Big Sky and High Calibre Lures are all good options.

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors
Old 06-17-2019, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by npauls View Post
Unfortunately my fishing trips are very limited the last few years. My son is into baseball big time and plays summer ball which takes up 6 days a week for 9 weeks. So usually his season ends and bow hunting starts within a week or 2 so my walleye fishing is almost non existent lately.

How about you. How has fishing been?

Ty those knuckle balls out. I dont think you will be disappointed.

As mentioned earlier, try big sky jigs as well. Dan makes them all in med. Hat. They are solid jigs.
Time with the boy is time that will never come back. Enjoy your time with him as much as possible. The Eyes will still be waiting

Dodger.