Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 11-27-2015, 07:40 PM

Default F1 Chrony Pros and Cons?

Thinking of getting an F1 Chronograph. Are they any good?

Your experiences with this particular chrony pls.
Old 11-27-2015, 08:15 PM

I've had one for any years, I like it. If I were to use it more I'd buy one with remote control.
Old 11-27-2015, 08:50 PM

Yes seems the way to go, especially if you accidently shoot it.
Old 11-28-2015, 07:37 AM

Years ago a friend shot his and sent it in for warranty as a joke. They saw the humour and mailed him a coupon to use as part payment for a new one which he still has. FWIW mine was made in Canada, don't know if this is still the case but it was a nice surprise as we seem to live in a world awash in chinese electronics.
Old 11-28-2015, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered user View Post
I've had one for any years, I like it. If I were to use it more I'd buy one with remote control.
I am unsure of the 'remote control' features.

I use the most basic model Chrony with no math/statistical calculation functions or 'features'.
I enter all the results in a spreadsheet which can more easily use the spreadsheet functions to calculate and record any statistical analysis desired.

I would VERY MUCH like to have a remote screen on the shooting bench, as the on Chrony screen is difficult to read at operational distance, particularly in bright sunlight. I often need to move a couple of feet forward to read the on unit screen.

The recent history function would be handy for those few times that I forget to record a previous result. Concussion blast from an adjacent bench can be confused with a shot, and can remove any prior result before it can be recorded.

My winter project is to build a complete translucent enclosure to replace the sky screen and rods system, and hopefully reduce errors caused by inconsistent or low angle lighting.

Good Luck, YMMV
Old 11-28-2015, 09:38 AM

Pros - price, does not effect POI
Cons - Easily shot, some have been reported to need "warm up shots", dont work well when the light is not good, have to cease fire to adjust.

After using an optical crony and then getting a Magnetospeed I would never suggest anyone to buy the former. I think you can get a magnetospeed for about $265. Buy once cry once.
Old 11-28-2015, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergerboy View Post
Pros - price, does not effect POI
Cons - Easily shot, some have been reported to need "warm up shots", dont work well when the light is not good, have to cease fire to adjust.

After using an optical crony and then getting a Magnetospeed I would never suggest anyone to buy the former. I think you can get a magnetospeed for about $265. Buy once cry once.
IMHO, the fact that Magnetospeed DOES AFFECT POI makes it unsuitable and unusable for the load development methodology that I favor. I measure and document the velocity of almost every shot that I take during all load development and also when changing any component. I cannot understand the attraction or usefulness of a chrony that has any effect on POI. A Magnetospeed is fine for those who need data of factory loaded rounds to use for ballistic calculations. I cannot imagine how a hand-loader could use a Magnetospeed without doubling the number of rounds fired, (and the cost of components, labor, time and barrel life).

The Chrony brand does have issues with both temperature and lighting and is not as accurate as I would prefer. I would consider any other brand or type of chrony as a replacement, but will not consider any type that changes POI.

It is possible to shoot anything, as proven by the many examples of burst barrels caused by bore-sighters and other bore obstructions. I suspect that somebody will figure out a way to shoot a Magnetospeed. I submit that it is relatively easy to avoid shooting a chrony, but it does require proper focus and attention to the difference between POA / line of sight and actual bullet flight trajectory. All firearm handling and useage requires constant vigilance to avoid unwanted consequence.

Good Luck, YMMV.
Old 11-28-2015, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davey Boy View Post
Thinking of getting an F1 Chronograph. Are they any good?

Your experiences with this particular chrony pls.
I have had one for about 15 years and am satisfied. Got more than my moneys worth out of it.

I hear about people shooting them..........not sure how you do that??

I sure would not want to be in the woods with those people.
Old 11-28-2015, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwert View Post
IMHO, the fact that Magnetospeed DOES AFFECT POI makes it unsuitable and unusable for the load development methodology that I favor. I measure and document the velocity of almost every shot that I take during all load development and also when changing any component. I cannot understand the attraction or usefulness of a chrony that has any effect on POI. A Magnetospeed is fine for those who need data of factory loaded rounds to use for ballistic calculations. I cannot imagine how a hand-loader could use a Magnetospeed without doubling the number of rounds fired, (and the cost of components, labor, time and barrel life).

The Chrony brand does have issues with both temperature and lighting and is not as accurate as I would prefer. I would consider any other brand or type of chrony as a replacement, but will not consider any type that changes POI.

It is possible to shoot anything, as proven by the many examples of burst barrels caused by bore-sighters and other bore obstructions. I suspect that somebody will figure out a way to shoot a Magnetospeed. I submit that it is relatively easy to avoid shooting a chrony, but it does require proper focus and attention to the difference between POA / line of sight and actual bullet flight trajectory. All firearm handling and useage requires constant vigilance to avoid unwanted consequence.

Good Luck, YMMV.
I agree with you about the magneto speed affecting POI. I listed it as a pro for the crony not the magneto speed.
Old 11-28-2015, 02:27 PM

Appreciate all the replies. I like the magnetospeed sporter which is reasonable, but being it affects POI, then would have to use double the ammo like Qwert mentioned. Allthough it is much easier to set up and doubt that anyone could find a way to shoot it. Well maybe who knows.

Apparently the master series of the shooting Chrony has a remote, so if you shoot the main box you can get replacement boxes as opposed to having to buy the whole thing again. Don't know what the replacement cost would be though.
Old 11-28-2015, 02:49 PM

Quote:
snip
Apparently the master series of the shooting Chrony has a remote, so if you shoot the main box you can get replacement boxes as opposed to having to buy the whole thing again. Don't know what the replacement cost would be though.
http://www.shootingchrony.com/products_TTIYC.htm
Old 11-28-2015, 02:51 PM

Thanks Qwert now I know. Man to bad we have to pay $1.35 for every US dollar.
Old 11-28-2015, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Appreciate all the replies. I like the magnetospeed sporter which is reasonable, but being it affects POI, then would have to use double the ammo like Qwert mentioned. Allthough it is much easier to set up and doubt that anyone could find a way to shoot it. Well maybe who knows.

I personally do not need to measure the velocity of all the rounds I send down range. I get a load that is accurate and does not have pressure signs and when I'm content I measure the speed. I personally would never consider owning an optical unit.
Old 11-28-2015, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Thanks Qwert now I know. Man to bad we have to pay $1.35 for every US dollar.
Actually,
after including the Visa currency exchange fee (of 2.5%) it is more than $1.37 on both the cost of goods and USPS,
and then we need to add the CA$9.95 CBSA fee + GST.

Isn't 'free trade' great.
We are told this benefits Canadian exporters, but manufacturers have moved their production offshore and mines and resource commodity producers are closing or reducing production because of low commodity prices. New enterprises will not invest because all their needed machinery and equipment is produced offshore and priced in US$.

Good Luck, YMMV.
Old 11-28-2015, 04:02 PM

Can someone enlighten me as to the issue with a Magnetospeed changing POI ? It seems to me if you are getting acceptable groups with a Magnetospeed
attached, it's a simple matter to make a final 'scope adjustment when it has been removed. From what I've seen so far there is not a lot of difference in POI between the two methods.
I feel the convenience of the Magnetospeed far outweighs any small shifts in PO! and the need to burn three or four additional rounds to make the required 'scope adjustments.

As an aside, has anyone noticed large shifts in POI using a Magnetospeed ?
Old 11-28-2015, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergerboy View Post
I personally do not need to measure the velocity of all the rounds I send down range. I get a load that is accurate and does not have pressure signs and when I'm content I measure the speed. I personally would never consider owning an optical unit.
IMHO,
If you are just measuring a few rounds for curiosity, or to for use to calculate expected ballistic drop and performance,
you can fire a few rounds over someone else's chrony,
or just use actual DOPE to calculate MV.
Ultimately, actual DOPE is the most useful and informative, and any expectations calculated from chrony data should be confirmed and adjusted for actual DOPE.

I use my chrony for ALL development shots, because I am looking for nodes and plateaus that may correspond to vertical clusters on a ladder test or group size progressions in a target series, or correlation with case fill ratios. When a chrony plateau or reduced increment corresponds to increasing group size and/or pressure indications, I get VERY cautious. When shooting cast lead, chrony data is useful when evaluating alloy hardness and lube performance.

IMHE, measuring tools of all kinds are most useful when used consistently and results documented carefully. The more often that a tool is used, the more familiar and easy it becomes, and accuracy confidence can be better evaluated. Often it is the data or measurement that is most unexpected that turns out to be the most important. It is like the case of 'the dog who didn't bark'.

Good Luck, YMMV.
Old 11-28-2015, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salavee View Post
Can someone enlighten me as to the issue with a Magnetospeed changing POI ? It seems to me if you are getting acceptable groups with a Magnetospeed
attached, it's a simple matter to make a final 'scope adjustment when it has been removed. From what I've seen so far there is not a lot of difference in POI between the two methods.
I feel the convenience of the Magnetospeed far outweighs any small shifts in PO! and the need to burn three or four additional rounds to make the required 'scope adjustments.

As an aside, has anyone noticed large shifts in POI using a Magnetospeed ?
IMHO, it is not the effect of a barrel attachment on POI but on barrel harmonics, which may also cause a change of POI but is more likely to affect group size and may mask or distort the value of the result for load development.

For most consistent results and best accuracy we want the bullet to leave the crown when the barrel vibration is at the peak of its cycle and is moving very slowly or is stopped. The weight of any barrel attachment will affect the timing of this. Some BR shooters have worked with adjustable barrel weights and absorbers to attempt to 'tune' these harmonic vibrations in the search for improved consistency.

I suspect that if you always shot with a Magnetospeed sensor installed in exactly the same position, that any change in POI or barrel harmonics would be irrelevant, the problem comes when the attachment is moved or removed.

Good Luck, YMMV.
Old 11-28-2015, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckhead View Post
I have had one for about 15 years and am satisfied. Got more than my moneys worth out of it.

I hear about people shooting them..........not sure how you do that??

I sure would not want to be in the woods with those people.
Its easy! Put the crosshairs between the "r's" on error and send it!! I have made that shot. Very satisfying.
Old 11-28-2015, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleJ View Post
Its easy! Put the crosshairs between the "r's" on error and send it!! I have made that shot. Very satisfying.
Ha. I felt like that before.
Old 11-29-2015, 10:27 AM

I've had 2 chronys over the past 40 years and I've been very happy with them. tried an RCBS, it's available to anyone who wants the frustration.
Old 11-29-2015, 11:09 AM

I was in Cabelas and noticed they had one with their brand name on it. Think it was $150. Any reports on it out there.
Old 11-29-2015, 11:41 AM

CED Buy once.... and be 100% satisfied. The Computer interface is good too.
Old 12-21-2015, 09:54 PM

Default Any try the Caldwell

Anyone try the Caldwell. Looks good, has an interface for smart phones which would be nice.

THoughts?
Old 12-22-2015, 08:58 AM

Thumbs up

I have the F1, bought when WSS was still 97th and Hwy 16.
Pro's- It does what I need it to do.
- Works well and allows me to use Nikon's Spot on program

Cons;
-Does'nt register every shot (like mentioned, almost needs a couple warm up shots)
-Requires "good" lighting (does'nt work well at covered shooting bench outdoor ranges)

My policy if someone wants to try it, "you shoot it, you bought it" Because as soon as you set it up there is always someone there wants to give it a go!

Chrony.com has a trade in your old for an upgrade offer.
Old 12-22-2015, 10:02 AM

The benefit of a remote is realized when you are at a busy range and an error message comes up . I have to wait for a cease-fire to manually reset the unit as it won't clear on its own. Here's a new high-buck alternative with Canadian content, saw it in American rifleman. http://mylabradar.com/
Old 12-22-2015, 10:07 AM

Here's the review http://www.americanrifleman.org/arti...r-chronograph/
Old 12-22-2015, 10:33 AM

Good read for sure. But I personally can not justify that money, yet. I just might have to save up for it though .
Old 12-22-2015, 06:53 PM

I feel your pain buddy, I can't justify the price and I have a gun safe full of stuff I can't justify either. So I might stew on this one for awhile.
Old 12-22-2015, 07:33 PM

CED ProChrono Digital costs about the same as the Chrony F1, and is light years ahead. I've owned both.
Old 12-23-2015, 10:33 AM

Yes the Labradar would be nice but........$$$$$$. Friend has a Pro Chrono I may try out. Hope I don't shoot it!!