Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 05-17-2019, 09:24 PM

Default Neighbour and Fence issue

My neighbour came to me for 3rd time today evening and we are not agreeing. Immediately he started threatening me that he will build the fence in the common property and make me pay. I said i will not pay and he mentioned that he will make me pay. I asked him are you threatening me and he said yes. I asked him to leave the house before i call the cops.

Now my question is

1) Can he build a fence without my approval in the property line?
2) Can he build a fence in the property line and paint crazy things on my side? (on the property line)
3) what to do in case if he starts the building fence?
4) Can i call the cops if he starts building?

AG
Old 05-17-2019, 09:33 PM

Where are you? My understanding is in Edmonton he can build a fence and charge you for 50% of the cost (provided that the cost is reasonable, cannot build a $200,000,000 fence of gold but $1-2k depending on length is possible). Involves more technicalities than that but that’s the general statute. Not a lawyer, obviously.
Old 05-17-2019, 09:34 PM

http://www.qp.alberta.ca/documents/Acts/L13.pdf
Old 05-17-2019, 09:41 PM

I think this is only for agriculture land and not residential property
Old 05-17-2019, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstubbs View Post
Where are you? My understanding is in Edmonton he can build a fence and charge you for 50% of the cost (provided that the cost is reasonable, cannot build a $200,000,000 fence of gold but $1-2k depending on length is possible). Involves more technicalities than that but that’s the general statute. Not a lawyer, obviously.
Calgary
Old 05-17-2019, 09:47 PM

^ Is for a line fence, aka, agricultural.

I don't know your location, so there may be specific bylaws pertaining to such, but generally:

-He can't build a structure on your property;
-He can build a fence 1" inside his property and paint it, without accessing it via your property, whatever he likes. If it crosses a line, you could likely complain to bylaw. Most by-laws have something to do with "loud" colors:
-Be happy you're getting a free fence; and,
-If he starts building a fence on his property, you can't do anything. If it's on yours, you can call for tresspassing.
Old 05-17-2019, 09:51 PM

1) Can he build a fence without my approval in the property line?
Yes he can, this is a common problem with property owners who live next to rental houses, most landlords don’t want to put a dime into a fence, and certainly neither does a renter. But either person is allowed to construct a fence as long as it follows the bylaws for height and whatnot.

2) Can he build a fence in the property line and paint crazy things on my side? (on the property line)
No, once the fence is built, your side is your side and you can do what you want with it but he can not. Also, since he’s the builder, he can leave the low grade side of the wood or all the crossmembers to whichever side he chooses.

3) what to do in case if he starts the building fence?
Can’t do anything other than drink a beer and watch him, but make sure you don’t give him a dime as it’s at his will that he’s doing it. Also make sure he doesn’t tear up your grass while doing so, like with a skid steer drilling holes and such.

4) Can i call the cops if he starts building?
Yes you can but it will do no good unless there’s trespassing or other enforceable laws above what bylaw officers typically handle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-17-2019, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
^ Is for a line fence, aka, agricultural.

I don't know your location, so there may be specific bylaws pertaining to such, but generally:

-He can't build a structure on your property;
-He can build a fence 1" inside his property and paint it, without accessing it via your property, whatever he likes. If it crosses a line, you could likely complain to bylaw. Most by-laws have something to do with "loud" colors:
-Be happy you're getting a free fence; and,
-If he starts building a fence on his property, you can't do anything. If it's on yours, you can call for tresspassing.
Thanks for the tip.

If he is building the fence tomorrow morning, i cant go there and fight with himand in the evening he would have finished it. What if it crossed the property line?
Old 05-17-2019, 09:52 PM

Curious, how does he think he is going to "make you pay"? I'm 99% certain fences are a private matter between neighbors in Calgary.
Old 05-17-2019, 09:55 PM

Last edited by Dijon1975; 05-17-2019 at 09:57 PM. Reason: wrong message
Old 05-17-2019, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Curious, how does he think he is going to "make you pay"? I'm 99% certain fences are a private matter between neighbors in Calgary.
He was threatening me saying i will get it as a man to man..come on comeon fight with me...I asked him to leave before i call the cops and he left.
Old 05-17-2019, 10:01 PM

Quote:

I think it’s a figure of speech and not about the money, like chronic mysterious nails in tires, loud music weather it’s before or after curfew and any other annoyances that ride the fine line of the law or speculation.

Old 05-17-2019, 10:07 PM

In my opinion, the cost of half a fence is worth the good relations with your neighbour.
Old 05-17-2019, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Half Pickereled View Post
I think it’s a figure of speech and not about the money, like chronic mysterious nails in tires, loud music weather it’s before or after curfew and any other annoyances that ride the fine line of the law or speculation.

Definitely not a money issue for me. But the way he talks and he expects me to help him this weekend and is aid no...i can do it before this summer as am busy with some other stuffs in my life and fence is not my priority now.Is only $400 and if he would have asked nicely i would have agreed.
Old 05-17-2019, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Cox View Post
In my opinion, the cost of half a fence is worth the good relations with your neighbour.
Is not about the cost at all. IS just he wants his way or noway and i should agree immediately and i should help him ( he dont want any contractors and want to do by himself)
Old 05-17-2019, 11:22 PM

I think if you don’t agree , he can build a fence on his property, like 4-6inch from the property line. That’s what I did, the neighbor just got the ugly side.
Old 05-17-2019, 11:27 PM

If he is being a rectum tell him to get stuffed. The second it touches your property line you have a say. Until then, he can do whatever he wants on his side. You will get a free fence on 1 side. Play the game to match the competition.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 05-17-2019, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
If he is being a rectum tell him to get stuffed. The second it touches your property line you have a say. Until then, he can do whatever he wants on his side. You will get a free fence on 1 side. Play the game to match the competition.
I dont think i can go and fight with him when he is building a fence (not worth going to jail for $300 lol). In that case, what should i do if he buillds on the property line (or) even if he moved inside my property?

AG

Last edited by Dijon1975; 05-17-2019 at 11:36 PM. Reason: wrong message
Old 05-18-2019, 12:27 AM

I just do not get it.
Why would you not want a fence separating you & him !..??
$300-400 seems a tiny price to not only have a barrier, but also cease any child
like games this neighbor seems like he is now going play to make you pay.
Old 05-18-2019, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tri777 View Post
I just do not get it.
Why would you not want a fence separating you & him !..??
$300-400 seems a tiny price to not only have a barrier, but also cease any child
like games this neighbor seems like he is now going play to make you pay.
Well his attitude..threatens to make me pay is not the right way. he dont want discussion, he want his way or no....There is noway he can make me pay for which am not agreeing.
Old 05-18-2019, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omnisap View Post
Well his attitude..threatens to make me pay is not the right way. he dont want discussion, he want his way or no....There is noway he can make me pay for which am not agreeing.
If me, I'd be scrambling to pay half of the price for the highest allowable fence to keep him out of my sight.
Lol
Old 05-18-2019, 12:55 AM

Doesn't make sense. You should be forking over $400 in a heartbeat. More to this story I am guessing.
Old 05-18-2019, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tri777 View Post
If me, I'd be scrambling to pay half of the price for the highest allowable fence to keep him out of my sight.
Lol
Totally...but we agreed to bring the fence half way to 48 feet and today he changed and saying he want only in the back(32ft). It all started last sunday him saying we need a fence asap and we are building ASAP starting this long weekend. I said sorry i dont have time and i am tight on budget now...But he wanted starting this weekend and i said well i can pay but i want till 48ft.....He agreed.

Today he changed and i said wellyou can build your own fence then. Then he started threatening.
Old 05-18-2019, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
Doesn't make sense. You should be forking over $400 in a heartbeat. More to this story I am guessing.
My share is $350 to 400. Well my post pretty much say the whole story. Is his attitude i cant stand.
Old 05-18-2019, 04:09 AM

400 dollars for 48 ft of fence is a steal. He’s isn’t even charging you any labour!! Maybe he was having issues with some of his other neighbours and you got the brunt of it.
Myself I’d let him build it and take him 400.00 and a 24 of beer and move on, life’s to short.

Cheers
Old 05-18-2019, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasbok View Post
400 dollars for 48 ft of fence is a steal. He’s isn’t even charging you any labour!! Maybe he was having issues with some of his other neighbours and you got the brunt of it.
Myself I’d let him build it and take him 400.00 and a 24 of beer and move on, life’s to short.

Cheers
This..

Having something small like this between neighbors can cause even bigger issues in the future. Better to patch the damage fast.

Nothing worse than fighting with your neighbors.
Old 05-18-2019, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Cox View Post
Based on past experience, this ^^^

Might be helpful to assist with reasoning on the situation with the neighbour in question by involving a 3rd party such as another neighbour.
Old 05-18-2019, 07:19 AM

If the guy thinks he can come over and bully you about the fence what’s stopping him from bullying and threatening you on other things? I’d try to work something out with him cause a fence would be great but don’t let him pizz all over you in the process. I guarantee once he builds the fence he’ll want more than 350-400 dollars.
Old 05-18-2019, 07:27 AM

I have had neighbors like you. Too busy to help, lots of time to sit on the deck and drink beer though, too tight to cough $400 to cover half the cost and still wants to tell me how I am going to do the job. In the time you have been complaining on here you could have built half the fence. You seriously want to call the Cops over a fence. Not much wonder your neighbor is a little ****ed off. Generally find you get what you give, your bad attitude will be directly reflected in his.
Old 05-18-2019, 07:31 AM

When I built my fence both neighbors wouldn’t fork over any money, so all I did was move the fence onto my property and built it. I wasn’t going to argue over a stupid fence. $400 bucks is really cheap for a fence. I went with a tin fence with metal stringers welded to the steel posts and a cement footing that way I never have to do a fence again. And I made sure I went 6ft. Tall as well!
Closed Thread