Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-11-2013, 09:20 PM

Default Forrest Lake Outfitters

To the guys who have fished the lakes in their concession, how did you make out? Also interested in the size of any greyling you've caught out of the Clearwater River.
Old 02-12-2013, 06:46 AM

Haven't fished there for several years, not since the native blockades at Lac La Loche. However, the fishing was always awesome. Lakers to 20 in Patterson and Forrest, walleye to 7 in both Patterson, Naomi, and the Clearwater, pike to 20 almost anywhere. The grayling in the Clearwater were particular fun. We would take the boat down to the first major set of rapids we couldn't pass, tied up, and waded. Our biggest grayling was 14".

Vic
Old 02-12-2013, 07:56 PM

My Aunt and Uncle along with their his brother owned the lodge up until just this winter for must be around the last twenty years. They are still managing it but i think the entire place sold for 700 000. Not bad for six cabins with three on deeded land in the north, cook shacks and a ton of boats. I would have used my soul as collateral if i could afford the place right now.

I recently picked up fly fishing and have asked about the grayling numerous times and from what i hear almost nobody fishes for them anymore. What ever is there likely has never seen a lure or fly before. My uncle said there were a few guys who go up there with fly gear and do well closer to spring over ten years ago and from what i remember the biggest grayling he has seen was 2.5 lbs. Jednstka I stated fishing up there the year before the road blocks and didn't fish it the last year it was blocked and have been there ove half a dozen times since. The twenty pound pike aren't as abundant as before and their concession of lakes has gown.

They allow people to keep what ever fish they catch and the spots close to the camps do have fish up to 25 lbs but your more likely to catch a twenty pounder or two in the spring before they get knocked out by another fisherman. If you travel around the shores of Forest you can find the big ones late in the summer, most guys just fish forest for lakers so they are largely untouched. The Pike get up to thirty pounds in some of the shallow sandy bays. Last summer lakers were biting like mad. From what i heard almost no one went home without their limit. They had one entire crew limit out within and hour and a half on lakers in Forest. If you fish Patterson there are a higher number than usual of Silver pike, and they have a really nice blue color to them. A truly beautiful fish worth mounting. Without getting out of your boat you can hit up five different lakes and three different creeks.

Keep in mind fishing is called fishing not catching, and we have gone up there and had bad luck fishing and bad luck with the weather with snow in july before, but it is still worth checking out and is truly a great fishing experience. You may also want to check out the black sands beach on Forest lake. I have never seen anything like it. Bring pails you will likely want to take some of it home with you.

Here are the maximum sizes i remember for the lakes they guide. These are not guaranteed sizes.
Patterson- Lakers - 20,
Pike - 25,
Walleye - 7,
Forest - Lakers - 25,
Pike - 30
Beete - Lakers - 12,
Pike - 25,
Walleye - 7,
Naomi - Pike - 20,
Walleye - 7,
Ace in The Hole - Lakers - 15-20,
Pike - 15,
Clear Water River - Pike - 15,
Grayling 1-2,
Also if you have quad
Vermeerrsch lake has monster pike in it. We caught 14 pounders with huge fresh gaping wounds on them. After catching a fourteen pounder on one rod we had one fish peel line right off the rod non stop even after cranking the drag the whole way it snapped the rod and pulled the line off the reel without even coming close to the boat.

Wickenkamp lake is the best walleye lake out of all of them. We have never been skunked there. We usually go and limit out within a couple of hours, and we pick and choose which ones to keep. Pike up to 10 lbs, and walleye up to 8 lbs.

On a different note you make want to enjoy those lakes sooner rather than later. Fission energy just intersected 18 meters of economic grade uranium mineralization 120 feet under paterson lake (likely mined as open pit mine... bye bye Paterson). Their follow up drilling is looking good as well. Its likely going to turn into drilling central and the place will likely be over run for the next five years to assess if there is a mine there and if there is... Well let me put it this way Im working at a Uranium mine at Wollaston lake right now that has been operation for almost 40 years and it looks like theres at least another 10 years of mine life with the deposits they know about around it. Not to mentions the new ones they are finding.
Old 02-12-2013, 08:09 PM

We went up there for i think 8 years in a row but not the last few. Always a good time and good fishing. The owners were great people. Heading back this year again in june. Its like you have 5 lakes all to your self.
Old 02-19-2013, 11:45 PM

Default forrest lake outfitters

Thanks for the info about the fishing guys. However, the doom and gloom forecast over what may or may not happen because of Fission Energys mining interests sounds ridiculous. The water from Broach Lake flows into Patterson, Forrest, Beet and Noami Lakes and then into the Clearwater river system. No one is going to try to drain Patterson Lake with an open pit mine because that would inadvertantly pollute everything from it to the Arctic Ocean. As to the area being overrun with asses, well I guess that there are some in every crowd no matter where you go and as far as changes coming to the area, some will be positive and some not but that is happening all around the world.
Old 02-20-2013, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schleprock View Post
Thanks for the info about the fishing guys. However, the doom and gloom forecast over what may or may not happen because of Fission Energys mining interests sounds ridiculous. The water from Broach Lake flows into Patterson, Forrest, Beet and Noami Lakes and then into the Clearwater river system. No one is going to try to drain Patterson Lake with an open pit mine because that would inadvertantly pollute everything from it to the Arctic Ocean. As to the area being overrun with asses, well I guess that there are some in every crowd no matter where you go and as far as changes coming to the area, some will be positive and some not but that is happening all around the world.
There is already a naturally occurring boulder train 4 km long with radioactive boulders up to 30 % U3O8. The amount of boulders in the overburden which is saturated with ground water that flows into these lakes naturally and have done so for the last ~10 000 years is so substantial I had heard that Fission was beginning to start pitching the projects as a placer uranium mine, before intersecting source rock. With deposits like Mcarthur River being one of the worlds highest grade uranium mines occurring in saskatchewan with naturally occurring outcrops up to 50% U3O8 and no significant contamination down stream it is unlikely that contamination will make it very far, with current mining practices. They are taking the product out of the ground and concentrating it, not spreading it around. Beyond Uranium city which was mined at a time with little understanding of the adverse environmental affects of mining across the board never mind uranium mining saskatchewan to the best of my knowledge has done a good job environmentally speaking when it comes to mining uranium. Reclamation has started and is still ongoing at Uranium city to this day, or so i have been told by residents.

You have to realize there is natural contamination that far exceeds the concentrations produced by mining in in some cases mining can actually have a net positive benefit for an area by capping, containing, and removing natural sources of contamination.

On a different note the previous owners of Forrest Lake Lodge will only be up there in the spring to help new management get settled and to show them the ropes.
Old 02-22-2013, 11:11 PM

Default Bye Bye Patterson ?

Okay, so now the mining industry is going to be beneficial to the enviornment as it is going to be removing some of the stronger sourced material? I wasn"t aware that it was something to be concerned with and under the impression that the water quality was already exceptionally good in that area. The drawback would then be the workers and infrastructure that would come with the mining operations, turning a remote area into a industrial one? Only time will tell.
Old 02-24-2013, 01:36 AM

We'll just have to fish it all out quick then

Hopefully will get up there this year
Old 06-15-2019, 10:26 PM

Heading up to forrest lake outfitters again this year. Been going for 10 years always a good time just a marathon drive to camp.
Old 06-17-2019, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cujo1969 View Post
Heading up to forrest lake outfitters again this year. Been going for 10 years always a good time just a marathon drive to camp.
I checked out their website, looks like an adventure! Is the road in as bad as they say?

Thomas Sowell
Old 06-17-2019, 07:10 AM

Take some extra tires the rock they use as gravel are arrow heads I think
Old 06-24-2019, 07:05 PM

Just back from forest lake. Caught lots of lake trout,pike and walleye biggest was a 20lb pike.Water levels low made little tougher to travel between lakes. Good weather good hosts hope to be back next year.