Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 09-11-2018, 03:42 PM

Default Scope Failure?

Went to the range yesterday to check the zero on my coyote rifle. First shot was about 2 inches high and right. Next shot I could not see, fired another nothing, thinking they must be in the black, fired another to get a group and then went and checked my target printed of a 7X11 sheet. Nothing, never hit the paper again. Went back to the bench and dug out a large target from the garbage can. Stapled it up and then put my smaller target over the holes in the large paper. Fired 4 more shots, my group is about 8 inches.

This rifle is a consistent 3/4" group rifle, so took it home and took the scope off today. All the screws were tight on the mount as well as the base, the action screws were tight. I have never had a scope fail, but cannot see what else it could be? I mounted another scope just now and will hit the range in the AM.

Is there anything else I should be considering?

Thomas Sowell
Old 09-11-2018, 03:51 PM

How does your Crown look? I had a rifle that was a good 1" shooter suddenly open to 5" after a friend borrowed it. He doesn't know what happened, but there was what looked like a gouge on crown, like somebody put a cold chisel to it and gave it a rap. Had it re-crowned and back n business. Just a thought...but it could very well be scope too.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 09-11-2018, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
How does your Crown look? I had a rifle that was a good 1" shooter suddenly open to 5" after a friend borrowed it. He doesn't know what happened, but there was what looked like a gouge on crown, like somebody put a cold chisel to it and gave it a rap. Had it re-crowned and back n business. Just a thought...but it could very well be scope too.
Just had a look, it looks fine.

Thomas Sowell
Old 09-11-2018, 04:43 PM

Yes, I had the cheap chinese scope on my first rifle, a Ruger m77 mkII fail in it's second hunting season. Missed the first two deer I shot at, after the second one thougt "that can't be me" and sure enough....the zero was moving all over the place.

I'm not sure what kind of scope you are dealing with, but that was a roughly $50 scope of indeterminate make that was all I could afford at the age of 17 after splurging on a rifle.

I upgraded to a Bushnell Elite for less than $300 and it served me until I sold that rifle actually, and I've rarely spent less than $400 on a scope since.
Old 09-11-2018, 04:44 PM

Lots of variables here. If it's all tight that's good. Last time it was cleaned well?What kind of scope?What caliber?
Old 09-11-2018, 04:47 PM

Scope is a Zeiss Conquest 3X9, rifle is a Savage model 16 in .243. Rifle has about a dozen rounds through it since it's last cleaning.

Thomas Sowell
Old 09-11-2018, 05:19 PM

Default Barrel touching the stock?

Or copper fouled?

Bizarre for Zeiss to foul up...
Old 09-11-2018, 05:22 PM

Yeah that's weird. I'm not up on the Zeiss lineup but can't really see it being the scope with a cartridge like the .243 win.
However, you never know.
Do you have an idea how many rounds through the tube?
Old 09-13-2018, 05:01 PM

Do you have another set of rings that you can try?

When you tighten the rings down, does the top half touch the bottom half or is there a small gap on each side?

Are the rings lapped? Rings can be lapped too much.

Just spit ballin'
Old 09-13-2018, 06:13 PM

My money is on a bit of oil between action and aluminum bedding. Seen it happen before. My guess is it shifts around and puts pressure on the guard screws. guard screws need to be floating in the pillars/ stock holes. If one is touching it starts acting like a recoil lug and accuracy goes to Crap. For some reason aluminum and steel doesn't have enough friction under recoil to hold the action from shifting but glass bedding( devcon, j/b weld ) does ??