Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 12-13-2008, 02:24 PM

Default which muzzleloader is best overall

I've been doing my homework on muzzleloaders as i am going to buy 1 think in the future..i have a strathcona deer hunt owed to me in exchange a bear hunt ..i am thinking thompson contender or badbull..any muzzy hunters out there have any info?????? i only want to buy 1 so i am willing to spend more moola..
Old 12-14-2008, 09:58 AM

It depends on what you want out of your muzzleloader. For ease and convienience, you cannot beat the smokeless muzzleloaders and Bad Bull is a fine muzzleloader and fits into that category, but if you've researched them you know they are expensive they are a custom built rifle. Bad Bull only recommends one smokeless powder that they warrant to be used in their rifles.
The Savage 10 ML II is the only production smokeless muzzleloader offered and they can be had for a reasonable price, they are well built and very effective and accurate, although they may be a little finicky to set up.Savage also has a list of book loads that they will stand behind ,although some outside experimenting a research is being carried out and the book loads are being expanded. A good site to check out is:http://dougva.proboards34.com/index.cgi?board=Savage
Whether you decide on the Bad Bull or the Savage or any other smokeless muzzleloader, you will find that they are cleaner, faster and much less expensive to operate than the current Black powder counterparts.
Thompson Encore is a fine rifle as well,just a different animal all together.
Please don't try to use smokeless powder in any firearm that is not designed for it.
Old 12-14-2008, 10:05 AM

X2 on the savage. However, stay away from IMR 4227 powder.

Long story
Old 12-14-2008, 10:29 AM

I guess it would depend on what you want. I currently own a T/C Omega. I enjoy shooting it and actually perfer to carry it during the regular season rather than my rifle. It shoots great but only certain loads (I think you may find this with other ML as well, I think each has it's own recipe that shoot well from it). My recipe for distruction is 250gr sst, 3- pyrodex pellets, 209 primer. I've owned mine for 4 years now and if I had to do it all over again I'd probably buy something like the encore that allows you to change barrels, I think that option would be great especially on a fly in hunt having the option to hunt caribou and ptarmigan just by swapping barrels would be swell.
Old 12-17-2008, 06:59 AM

Thanks for the good info Gents its appreciated