Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 10-15-2020, 05:08 PM

Default Rifle break-in question

Son and I got new shooting rigs today we will be sighting in riles soon, My question lies with bullet weight for barrel break in. I plan on using reduced recoil cartridges for hunting would there be any barrel break in issues if I use factory load cartridges in a heavy bullet and then switch to a low recoil cartridge for hunting (aside from I would need to sight in the rifle for the lighter loads prior to actual hunting) ? Sorry for the newbie question just a thought I had and wondered about. Thanks In advance for any suggestions or advice
Old 10-15-2020, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamikaze! View Post
Son and I got new shooting rigs today we will be sighting in riles soon, My question lies with bullet weight for barrel break in. I plan on using reduced recoil cartridges for hunting would there be any barrel break in issues if I use factory load cartridges in a heavy bullet and then switch to a low recoil cartridge for hunting (aside from I would need to sight in the rifle for the lighter loads prior to actual hunting) ? Sorry for the newbie question just a thought I had and wondered about. Thanks In advance for any suggestions or advice
There wont be any issues with doing that, however I would think you'd want to do those steps in the reverse order. Shoot the light recoil rounds on the bench where you will be shooting high volume and use the heavy recoil rounds for hunting where you wont notice the recoil one bit. Reduced recoil rounds are usually cheaper too. JMO

Also, there is alot of debate whether or not to follow a specific "Break In Procedure" or not, but at the very least run a few wet patches, dry patches and an oil patch down the bore before you shoot. They are sometimes stored with a fair bit of oil in the bore for protection.
Old 10-15-2020, 05:51 PM

Clean the barrels before you fire the rifles, and run a dry patch down the bore before firing them. Do not fire them with oil in the bore.
Old 10-15-2020, 06:03 PM

This sums it up well.

https://youtu.be/WJzgmFgylSw

-Billy Molls
Old 10-15-2020, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Clean the barrels before you fire the rifles, and run a dry patch down the bore before firing them. Do not fire them with oil in the bore.

Out of curiosity, what happens if you just start shooting and do not clean the oil out?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-15-2020, 07:12 PM

Will clean out prior to for sure and after every 3 shots as I was told no cleaning can create rings inside the barrel.
Old 10-15-2020, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
This sums it up well.

This is by far the best barrel break in procedure I have ever come across. I wonder if the moderators could make it a sticky. It would help many, many shooters, old and new alike.
Old 10-15-2020, 07:17 PM

Yes Ram I have thought of the light recoil for high volume for sight in but i have A lot more of the heavy cartridges and haven’t been finding the low recoil stuff locally. Thanks for the insights I just don’t want to wreck the barrel.
Old 10-15-2020, 08:22 PM

Can I ask what the rifle cartridge is you are using low recoil ammo with?
Old 10-15-2020, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
Can I ask what the rifle cartridge is you are using low recoil ammo with?
30-06 hornady custom lite 125gr I am new to hunting and didn’t want to develop a flinch, only hunt whitetails for now.
Old 10-15-2020, 08:43 PM

Quote:
30-06 hornady custom lite 125gr I am new to hunting and didn’t want to develop a flinch, only hunt whitetails for now.
Ammunition availability aside, most people develop flinches at the range. You may want to reverse your break-in strategy to shoot light at the range and heavier at game.
Old 10-15-2020, 08:44 PM

What rifle did you buy? I got a Bergara this spring and in the owners manual it specified a break in procedure. I figured I would follow what they recommended as if it got messed up I can say I was doing what they said.
Old 10-15-2020, 08:54 PM

One browning and one savage both 30-06 from the same store which gave me their own break in Procedure.
I think I will find more of the light stuff and shoot as much of that as we can for barrel break in , I will worry about heavier grains later.
Old 10-16-2020, 06:13 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
There seems to be two schools of thought regards barrel break in.

One says it is not necessary while the other says it is.

Those that say it is, talk mostly about copper fouling being the reason.

From what little I understand of the procedure the rounds one chooses for this procedure can be about anything appropriate for that rifle.

But I hope you don't take my word on that but rather do the research.
There is tons of information online about it.

A word of caution though, the net is rife with self proclaimed experts.
When I do research I look for sites with recognizable names that I know are experienced in whatever field I am researching.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 10-16-2020, 06:55 AM

Just for the record, the guy in the video I posted shoots for team Lapua on the F-Class circuit.

-Billy Molls
Old 10-16-2020, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KazIce View Post
Out of curiosity, what happens if you just start shooting and do not clean the oil out?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The bullet will try to squeeze past the oil, and can form an oil wedge on one side of the bullet, forcing the other side hard against the bore, This not only effects accuracy, but can result in heavier copper fouling opposite the oil wedge.
Old 10-16-2020, 07:27 AM

There is also a big difference between custom barrels and factory barrels. Most of the competition guys that say they do not follow a break-in procedure are shooting custom barrels which are hand lapped and do not require a break-in procedure to have a bore that will not copper foul. Factory barrels are a different story. Read it in a book once. True story

Here we go....
Old 10-16-2020, 07:40 AM

The most difficult element to control as far as barrel fouling is concerned is not copper. It is carbon. With modern powders, and copper solvents copper is really a non issue. Carbon on the other hand is a monster. I’m dumbfounded that it receives as little press as it does. But if you have ever cleaned a barrel, you will come to hate it. Good luck breaking in a barrel so it won’t carbon foul.

-Billy Molls
Old 10-16-2020, 07:45 AM

And if the factory fires 3 shots to show you a nice grouping to help sell their rifle, the break-in in train has long ago left the station.

Always start with a clean barrel and yes Virginia, a bore snake isn’t cleaning your barrel well enough.

The rest is up to the individual.

For myself it looks like this:

*Start clean*
-First shot and clean thoroughly.(Dewey rod, bore guide, Butches Bore Shine, JB’s, CR10, push jag, nylon brush)
-Second shot and thoroughly clean.
-Third shot and clean thoroughly.

-3 shot group and thoroughly clean.

Now that’s it.... 9 shots!

Run without cleaning till you either see an accuracy drop off, or your conscience gets the better of you.

There are no absolutes

Last edited by Dick284; 10-16-2020 at 07:52 AM.
Old 10-16-2020, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
And if the factory fires 3 shots to show you a nice grouping to help sell their rifle, the break-in in train has long ago left the station.

Always start with a clean barrel and yes Virginia, a bore snake isn’t cleaning your barrel well enough.

The rest is up to the individual.

For myself it looks like this:

*Start clean*
-First shot and clean thoroughly.(Dewey rod, bore guide, Butches Bore Shine, JB’s, CR10, push jag, nylon brush)
-Second shot and thoroughly clean.
-Third shot and clean thoroughly.

Now that’s it.... 9 shots!
Exactly, if your rifle came with test targets,the first shots have already been fired, so most break in regiments no longer apply. And even if it didn't come with test targets, it may have been fired. I have heard people complain that their new rifle was used, because it appeared to have been fired, they overlooked the factory test firing.
Old 10-16-2020, 10:29 AM
Banned

i thought it was going to be a video of the guys who break their rifle in by throwing it around on the rocks etc.

proof research hand lapped barrel i got came with an 11 shot break in instruction, something like shoot 3 clean, shoot 3 clean, shoot 5 clean...done

i followed it and that sucker cleans up super fast and easy

i think i'll do similar for anything going forward, just because it will feel good more than anything i'm sure

did same on ruger american ranch factory barrel, doesn't clean up as easily but not bad, not too worried about it, they both outshoot me
Old 10-16-2020, 10:38 AM

I asked s very well respected barrel maker once about what should be find with one of his new barrels and he said " shoot it!"
Cat
Old 10-16-2020, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
This sums it up well.

Meat grinder
Old 10-16-2020, 01:36 PM

There's a great video of a guy with a ruger American i believe. To break it in he throws it in the gravel and kicks it around a bit, then considers it broken in.

As for myself with my new rifle, I fired 50 rounds, cleaning in between every 6 rounds, like the manufacturer recommended.
Old 10-16-2020, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Bacon View Post
There's a great video of a guy with a ruger American i believe. To break it in he throws it in the gravel and kicks it around a bit, then considers it broken in.

As for myself with my new rifle, I fired 50 rounds, cleaning in between every 6 rounds, like the manufacturer recommended.
That video pre dates the Ruger American by about 10 years, I do believe it’s a Steven’s 200, with a “cow barrel”.

There are no absolutes
Old 10-16-2020, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Bacon View Post

Bigstick shoots Remingtons
Cat
Old 10-16-2020, 06:16 PM

The video being discussed if anyone wants to see it.

https://youtu.be/TRRahHX9Zkg
Old 10-16-2020, 06:21 PM

It’s a Kimber Montana.

-Billy Molls
Old 10-16-2020, 07:21 PM

Yep thats the video. I bought a ruger American when I saw the video. So my memory was influenced by that lol.
Old 10-16-2020, 07:23 PM

It’s not a Ruger American. It’s a Kimber Montana.

-Billy Molls