Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-22-2010, 08:49 PM

Post Trapped Deer?

Anyone know what the story is on the small herd of deer behind the fence at the Altagas Ethane plant off Calgary trail ,just north of 23?They've been there a few years now.The does look like whitetails and the buck almost looks Muley from a distance.Never see any fawns though.
Old 12-22-2010, 10:35 PM

I'd like to know, too. I saw 4 deer in there today - 1 mule buck, 1 mule doe, and 2 whitetail does. The buck hasn't gotten any bigger over the past couple of years, but I heard there was a big one in there many moons ago. That could be total BS, but I wouldn't be surprised if there was one in there at one time.
Old 12-23-2010, 05:51 PM

I'm thinking they've been there for a long ,long time.Don't know what the life span of a Mule buck is but he's getting on in years.Probably sterilized too, as the herd isn't getting any bigger.The employees are probably feeding them as well as passerbys.I can remember back when 23rd was a gravel rd,no way they've been there that long!
Old 12-23-2010, 07:20 PM

They have been there for at least 10 years that I can think back on. There were 3 bucks in there earlier in the fall, one had a good rack and the other 2 were smaller. There were 9 does there in the fall. Usually see some fawns in the spring,but not too many. The bucks definitely look like they are mulies.Don't know what they sprayed on the field but ithasnot helped the deer this year.
Old 12-23-2010, 07:27 PM

sorry double post