Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-22-2010, 11:52 AM

Default Deer Feeder

I took a plastic 45 gallon barrel with a lid and bolted 3 metal pipe legs along the sides so that the bottom of the barrel is about 3 ft off the ground. I cut a 4inch hole in the bottom of the barrel and bolt a plastic toilet flange on the outside over the hole. This flange has 6 bolt holes and is what a plumber mounts a toilet onto. Then a 4 inch T is glued and fitted into the flange. 4 inch plastic pipes about 8 inches long are glued and fitted into both sides of the T. When I fill the barrel with a oats and barley mix,the grain comes down but does not spill onto the ground but is visible just inside the short side pipes. At first I spill a pail of grain on the ground so they learn the location, after whats on the ground is gone they learn to eat from the feeder. As the grain in the side pipes is used up more comes down but not onto the ground where it gets covered with snow or mud. This feeder is about 40 yards from the house window and at a location where I can back the truck to to refill the barrel.It is like having the wildlife channel on all the time.I recognize some of the animals for years. Trying to add picture

IMG_6645 - Copy.JPG
Old 12-22-2010, 03:49 PM

So we can look forward to some great photos throughout the winter then hey??????

It looks like you tried to attach one but it isn't working for me.

We used to feed the deer at my parent's place out on the farm (Drayton Valley area) and man was that fun. The fights were awesome.
Old 12-22-2010, 06:41 PM
Banned

Your feeder sounds good. I'd like to see pictures of it too.

Mine is a little simpler and cheaper. I use a 4' length of 4" abs pipe and I cut a 45 degree angle on one end. I strap it to a tree or to a 6' picket in a field with the tip of the 45 degree angle just touching the ground. Fill the pipe up with cracked corn and put a pail full on the ground to attract the deer. Make sure that you put a margarine container on the top so rain doesn't get in. As the deer feed on the corn at the bottom it keeps dropping out until it's empty. I'm going to use that system for pictures this year if Santa brings me a new trailcam.