Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-21-2010, 03:13 PM

Question y is the harper goverment giving our money away

to foreign countries ? Like y don't we get a say in this ? i talk to a lot of seniors most r just scraping by,and the homeless people is growing by the day,our childrens future looks,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,maybe a reason for long gun register is to keep guns out the wrong hands,for a rich country as canada is, sure is a lot of poor people. Maybe im losing my mind,,,,,,,,
Old 12-21-2010, 03:17 PM

Little bit narrow of a world view there. Children are starving in other countries, diseases... natural disasters.... wars. I don't think most Canadians mind providing some foreign aid. Canada gives less per capita than many countries.

And as for not getting a say... you do, every election.
Old 12-21-2010, 03:22 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by great white whaler View Post
to foreign countries ? Like y don't we get a say in this ? i talk to a lot of seniors most r just scraping by,and the homeless people is growing by the day,our childrens future looks,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,maybe a reason for long gun register is to keep guns out the wrong hands,for a rich country as canada is, sure is a lot of poor people. Maybe im losing my mind,,,,,,,,

Wow! kinda depressing especially this time of year.

Well maybe I can help with the stress. Stop fretting over 'Maybe' losing your mind. It's true, you're there . You've lost it. Now try to relax and have a great day.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 12-21-2010, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
Little bit narrow of a world view there. I don't think most Canadians mind providing some foreign aid. Canada gives less per capita than many countries.
Not trying to fan the fire here, but does your household typically borrow money to donate to charity?

If not, why then is it acceptable for our government to do so?
Old 12-21-2010, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneeze View Post
Not trying to fan the fire here, but does your household typically borrow money to donate to charity?

If not, why then is it acceptable for our government to do so?
Well, we have two foster children overseas and give regularly to a number of other causes, and I have a mortgage and overdraft... so yes, technically I guess i do.
Old 12-21-2010, 03:37 PM
Gone Hunting

Good luck trying to fly that one Orville>

Old 12-21-2010, 03:42 PM

But to be fair to Great White Whaler... if what you were really trying to say is that there is a lot of people right here in Canada who need help too, ok, I can give you that one.
Old 12-21-2010, 04:23 PM
Gone Hunting

Attaboy. I knew you could do it.

Did you just get on the site? There's a ton of stuff here that needs your attention.

Old 12-21-2010, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post
Attaboy. I knew you could do it.

Did you just get on the site? There's a ton of stuff here that needs your attention.
Ya lost me. Who are you talking to?
Old 12-21-2010, 04:40 PM
Gone Hunting

I'm talking to you. Pay attention.

I haven't seen your smiling face yet today and was wondering if you had just arrived?

Old 12-21-2010, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post
I'm talking to you. Pay attention.

I haven't seen your smiling face yet today and was wondering if you had just arrived?
LOL been here on and off. Sorry, I'm confused by any comment that doesn't immediately look like "You're an idiot" LOL
Old 12-21-2010, 05:08 PM

An answer about as simple as your world view: While we have problems in canada we are still one of the richest countries in the world and if we didnt give out foreign aid we would look like a** h***s
Old 12-21-2010, 05:09 PM

I don't give ANYTHING to any "charities" because I pay TAXES , most of which goes to "charities" that I don't approve of. ("social safety net", welfare bums, abortion clinics, "single mothers" who make others responsible for their bad choices, "homeless slelters" for alkies and druggies, "mustard seed" losers, and on and on and....)

If these people want a "donation" from me, no problem - I just tell 'em to go to big nanny gubbmint and tell them that I gave permission to fork over some of the money they STOLE from me in the form of TAXES to support the "less fortunate".

There's plenty of TAX-supported resources for the so-called "less fortunate";
And in the words of Scrooge, "Those who are badly-off must go there".

Don't forget -As bad as Scrooge was, he paid TAXES to support the institutions he mentioned!

As for donations - I give to "Women In Need Thrift Stores" ONLY.

Many times, I tried to donate to the "salvation army" and "value village", but my donations weren't "acceptable" for a whole ton of excuses. And its not like I was trying to donate cr@p that belonged in the dump!

It was more like "beggars being choosers". Well Boo-Hoo! The city dump will take all of it!

And WIN will take EVERYTHING that's in good condition!
Old 12-21-2010, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishingFrenzy View Post
An answer about as simple as your world view: While we have problems in canada we are still one of the richest countries in the world and if we didnt give out foreign aid we would look like a** h***s
Thats the problem... I am an a**h***s. Working 60 hours a week to send money to corrupt third world regimes tends to turn you into one pretty quick.
Old 12-21-2010, 05:24 PM

[QUOTE=Okotokian;771995]Little bit narrow of a world view there. Children are starving in other countries, diseases... natural disasters.... wars. I don't think most Canadians mind providing some foreign aid. Canada gives less per capita than many countries.

And as for not getting a say... you do, every election.[/QU people r starving right here in this provence,and all across canada it shouldn't be ,canada needs to take care of its own first,,,,less goverment ,lower personal income tax's........in my birds eye view ,theres trouble on the horizon most everybody is living on credit ,,,,,,,,,,,i think i had a stroke last night
Old 12-21-2010, 05:39 PM

Wow people chill lol. Who cares if we help less fortunate people out? People born here have less excuse in my mind, the majority have every oppurtunity to succeed. Here being poor means you can't afford mcdonalds and you don't have christmas. In many part of the world being poor means your children literally starve to death in from of you.

Being born here and becoming sucessful isn't a big story it's expected, as well it should be. Coming here as a immigrant from a crap country with starvation and civil war and making something of yourself is okay but after getting out of that kinda mess it's kinda expected to elevate yourself, that they start at the bottom work their way up and 2nd generation is off and running, which is super cool because this country was built on the back of immigrants and refugees and people who couldn't make it where they originated from, which is sweet because look at lots of people now, this country is doing alright. Aren't we all moderately sucessful and not hungry etc???? LOL

Lots of the people that we give foreign aid to have no hope of ever getting to a decent country, it is not their fault they were born in a corrupt craphole. They cannot elevate themselves no matter how hard they try.

I don't mind sending the tax money i pay to help others with my hard work (61 hours a week by the way.....lol joking), this country was built by helping others.

Maybe i'm crazy but whatever I don't mind helpin foreign countries.
Old 12-21-2010, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckincity View Post
I don't give ANYTHING to any "charities" because I pay TAXES , most of which goes to "charities" that I don't approve of. ("social safety net", welfare bums, abortion clinics, "single mothers" who make others responsible for their bad choices, "homeless slelters" for alkies and druggies, "mustard seed" losers, and on and on and....)

If these people want a "donation" from me, no problem - I just tell 'em to go to big nanny gubbmint and tell them that I gave permission to fork over some of the money they STOLE from me in the form of TAXES to support the "less fortunate".

There's plenty of TAX-supported resources for the so-called "less fortunate";
And in the words of Scrooge, "Those who are badly-off must go there".

Don't forget -As bad as Scrooge was, he paid TAXES to support the institutions he mentioned!

As for donations - I give to "Women In Need Thrift Stores" ONLY.

Many times, I tried to donate to the "salvation army" and "value village", but my donations weren't "acceptable" for a whole ton of excuses. And its not like I was trying to donate cr@p that belonged in the dump!

It was more like "beggars being choosers". Well Boo-Hoo! The city dump will take all of it!

And WIN will take EVERYTHING that's in good condition!

Wow why don't you tell us what you really think.

I will have to agree with some of your views however. Like oh thanks we appreciate the donation but...... it's not good enough thanks anyways.

I give a generous amount to the united way every year and if someone calls asking I say talk to them if you are sincerely in that much need thats what they are there for.
Old 12-21-2010, 06:14 PM

They have hit the nail on the head Canadians give less per capita that Americans generally because we expect the government to do it.

A Scott and American and a Canadian walk up to a hotdog stand. The three fall down dead, when they get to the perly gates St. Pete notices there was an error and the three should be alive, but to fix it they need to pay a restocking fee of 10$, the American pulls out his wallet and is done.

Mean while the hotdog vendor has got three dead guys in front of him. imagine his surprise when the Yank jumps up alive. He askes WTF and the american tells him what hapend. The hotdog vendor ask about the other two to which the american says, the last I saw the Scott was haggling over the price and the Canadian wa waiting for the government to pay for it.

And to put stuff into perspective think of it this way if you have a bank account and know where your next meal is coming from you are in the top 3% weathiest people in the world.
Old 12-21-2010, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseknuckle View Post
....I give a generous amount to the united way every year...
I'm not tryin' to be a jerk to ya, and not tryin' to start a 6 or 7 page thread, but the "united way" supports abortion clinics - and they use the lib-left newspeak term "planned parenthood". When we found that out, they lost our support.

That doesn't stop us from giving to the Food Bank, or (ESPECIALLY!) the Veterans' Food Bank, which "the united way" claims to support.

But we hand it over ourselves instead of trusting THEM.

Just sayin'.
Old 12-21-2010, 06:47 PM

i meet and american auto body tec a couple of years back,this guy pulled up in a new truck, is mac tool box is as big as my camper with ever tool ya can think of he started telling me the prices ,,i payed 8 times more for the same tools,plus some tools i have never seen before in canada.It was three weeks later the american received is first pay check,he was not impressed with all the deductions ,two weeks later he hooked up and when back to florida ..........24 pack of budwiser 18 bucks,,,,,,,,,think i had a stroke last night
Old 12-21-2010, 07:09 PM

Default Give away

Other governments long before Harper were giving away taxpayers money so this is nothing new. With the advent of the internet and the "shrinking" world as a result, we are seeing more disasters that thirty years ago we would not have been aware of. So when we see a disaster on line or on TV, the money raisers use the opportunity to make their pitch. With the media highlighting the "donations" from other countries it becomes a shaming process to bring more money in.

Ad Scam was another hand out by another government not to long ago. Only it stayed relatively close to home.
Old 12-21-2010, 07:45 PM

I know longer give to most charities after I found out that 80% of money raised go to administrative fees and to pay for fundraising, it's crooked.
The CEO's of these charities are making hundreds of thousands of dollars.
The CEO of the Red cCoss makes $446,000 a year, CEO of Ducks Unlimited makes $376,000. www.charitynavigator.org
I also wonder about some of the health charities, like cancer or heart and stroke. Where does this money go? To the big phamaceutical companies to come up with medicine and charge ginormous prices for the pills?.
Old 12-21-2010, 08:26 PM

I found a way to donate to people that actually want to work to make their situation improve. With zero administrative costs and your money gets paid back to you, I've had several loans paid back over the few years I've been a member.

Makes a good Christmas gift for people who don't really need anything too.

http://www.kiva.org/
Old 12-21-2010, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckincity View Post
I'm not tryin' to be a jerk to ya, and not tryin' to start a 6 or 7 page thread, but the "united way" supports abortion clinics - and they use the lib-left newspeak term "planned parenthood". When we found that out, they lost our support.

That doesn't stop us from giving to the Food Bank, or (ESPECIALLY!) the Veterans' Food Bank, which "the united way" claims to support.

But we hand it over ourselves instead of trusting THEM.

Just sayin'.
Hey No offense takin. You are welcome to your opinion, I for one believe in abortion. So thats cool with me. And as far as the food bank thijng goes if they are lieing to me well then they are doing a good job of it so........ I guess I have nothing to say. My point was merely I get so many calls (especially through work) that realistically if I gave to every one of them including the ones you think are the most important than I wouldn't have time to live my own life. Nor the money. I'm going to bow out of this one because giving is one thing but to start huffing and puffing on who gives the most is not cool. Bottom line I cough up some of my hard earned cash to those less fortunate and guess what I DON'T have to and I don't dare frown upon those who choose not too.
Old 12-21-2010, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beez View Post
I found a way to donate to people that actually want to work to make their situation improve. With zero administrative costs and your money gets paid back to you, I've had several loans paid back over the few years I've been a member.

Makes a good Christmas gift for people who don't really need anything too.

http://www.kiva.org/
And yet another reason to use your own head. I've heard from several folks that this orginization is fraudulant??? Not saying it is for all I know it's 100% legitimet. Thing is now a days who do you trust???
Old 12-21-2010, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseknuckle View Post
And yet another reason to use your own head. I've heard from several folks that this orginization is fraudulant??? Not saying it is for all I know it's 100% legitimet. Thing is now a days who do you trust???
It's legit.....trust ME
Old 12-21-2010, 09:53 PM
Banned

Default well first of all...

It's not our money. THe money we earn belongs to the government. They allow us to keep some of it as an allowance. If they let us keep it all we would just waste it on candy.

Secondly. It's important that we give millions of dollars to dictators of third world countries or they will say bad things about us in the UN and not vote for Canadians when our turn comes up for "important, prestigious" positions in the UN.

If foreign aid actually went to help "poor" people in third world countries they would all be living in decent homes with running water etc. Much of the foreign aid winds up in the hands of dictators to curry political favor. After all these years of pouring billions and billions of dollars into these countries you'd think we would see a bit of a change...but no...just more of the same. But hey...why change something that's not working?

Here's the long version:
http://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.c...=A1ARTA0002894

Merry Christmas!!

And yeah...I think it's wrong for these so called charitable org's to be supporting abortion...(which I don't believe in...well I believe in it...I just think it's murder...but then...that's another thread...which could be an interesting discussion....anyone??)

Last edited by rugatika; 12-21-2010 at 09:58 PM.
Old 12-21-2010, 11:05 PM

Interesting ,,,,,,,,poor man is a poor man ,,rich man is a rich man who needs lots of money to keep her goin ,,,,like the middle man is taking the shaft it well never change,,,,,
Old 12-23-2010, 10:42 AM
Banned

this thread reminds me of the old saying

I thought I was poor when I had no shoes, til I met a man who had no feet.
Old 12-23-2010, 10:55 AM

im told its ignorant, but im a big believer in Helping the people in our own country first.

I just heard on the radio.... something like $50 million dollars going into some some park in the river valley?? are you kidding?? No No No.. dont put it into education or whatever else may need a big boost.

I really dont pay attention to the news or what is going on in the world to really have a say anyways