Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-21-2010, 11:12 AM

Default Battery maintenance

Wondering what everyones thoughts are on battery maintenance. Seem to be collecting more then enough batteries that sit on the shelf most of the winter. How often do you charge them? trickle charge or full charge? diff between quad batteries, auto batteries and deep cycle batteries?
Most 12 volt come sealed now so you don't add any distilled water, you just need a good charging etiqute. What do you do with your off season batteries?
Old 12-21-2010, 11:35 AM

I keep mine in the cool room in the basement..(under the stairs)..run a charger on them once a month for a few hours each..seems to work for me
Old 12-21-2010, 11:44 AM

Default Not on concrete

My neighbour told me not to store them on concrete floors as it really sucks the power out of them. Even saw that on a battery site one time. BEL
Old 12-21-2010, 01:50 PM

I leave them in all my equipment 2 weeks into the fall to long and replace them all in the spring.

One day when I grow up I am giong to take them all out before the first hard freeze & store them in the basement. Every 2 months I will put the trickle charge on them too!
Old 12-21-2010, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneeze View Post
I leave them in all my equipment 2 weeks into the fall to long and replace them all in the spring.

One day when I grow up I am giong to take them all out before the first hard freeze & store them in the basement. Every 2 months I will put the trickle charge on them too!
No need to take them in. Just disconnect both posts.

Never store on concrete: kills them dead. Then they freeze, warping the plates. They'll never hold a charge again.

Never, never, try charging a frozen battery: it can blow up.

If taken in for the winter, store on a wooden shelf or such.

Done the above for many years & even without a charge of any kind through the winter, they are at full charge come spring time.
Old 12-21-2010, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneeze View Post

Yep. Thats how I do it and I have the same plan for the future.
Old 12-21-2010, 02:06 PM

Default Batteries on Concrete

"Fact or Fiction
Well, is it true? Will a battery be damaged or discharged by letting it sit on concrete? NO!
Why then do so many people believe that concrete is a battery enemy? Years ago, batteries could have been electrically discharged by sitting on a concrete floor. My dad, for instance, owned an automotive shop for many years. In fact, I grew up on a creeper. My dad reminded me time after time, "Set that battery on wood! I know batteries discharge on concrete because I’ve witnessed it!" And he was right at that time.
Historical Basis
You see, the myth that concrete drains batteries does have some historical basis. Many, many years ago, wooden battery cases encased a glass jar with the battery inside. Any moisture on the floor could cause the wood to swell and possibly fracture the glass, causing it to leak. Later came the introduction of the hard rubber cases, which were somewhat porous and had a high-carbon content. An electrical current could be conducted through this container if the moist concrete floor permitted the current to find an electrical ground. The wise advice of the old days to "keep batteries off concrete" has been passed down to us today, but it no longer applies because of the advanced technology of today’s batteries.
Today’s Technology
For more than a decade, automotive and commercial battery containers have been made of polypropylene, which is a highly insulative material. In fact, the Interstate Batteries poly material is at least five times more insulative than the old hard rubber. Also, tremendous technological improvements have been made in the seals around the posts and the vent systems, which have virtually eliminated electrolyte seepage and migration.
Battery Discharging
The fact is, all batteries self- discharge whether they’re sitting on the shelf or on concrete. This is why we regularly rotate your inventory. As the temperature increases, a battery’s self-discharge level also increases. Some lead acid batteries discharge 4% - 8% per month at a temperature of 80°F. The level of self-discharge is also contingent upon the type of lead plate alloy plus the age and cleanliness of the battery.

If the battery has a surface layer of acid or grime, which is electrically conductive, it self-discharges more rapidly. This surface layer may actually allow you to measure the DC voltage across the battery’s poly case (using a 10 meg-ohm digital voltmeter). For that reason, we recommend that you always keep batteries clean, whether they’re in storage or in a vehicle.
Grandfather Clause
You may now be thinking that you know more than your grandfather, who tells you that batteries stored on concrete will be damaged. Next time your grandfather says that, I recommend that you just say "Okay" and continue about your business. I’m a grand-father now, and I know that we like to have our way and we like to be right. If my grandson, for instance, tries to tell me that concrete won’t damage a battery, you know what I’ll say? I’ll say if you drop a battery on concrete, it will be damaged."
Old 12-21-2010, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reeves1 View Post
Never store on concrete: kills them dead. Then they freeze, warping the plates. They'll never hold a charge again.

Never, never, try charging a frozen battery: it can blow up.

If taken in for the winter, store on a wooden shelf or such.
I always use those little black plastic garbage bags for office wastebaskets (folded up), and put them on top. Then they're insulated from the concrete or wood surface where they're stored.

If they've been out in the cold garage, I bring them in for a day or so before I put the trickle charger on.

Never had a problem.

The only time I ended up with a frozen battery was when I was dumb enough to leave it in the truck at -25 or -30 for a few days without starting it.
Old 12-21-2010, 02:39 PM

Default great

Walleye Willy, That might be the best response I have read on this forum.....well done!
Old 12-22-2010, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleye Willy View Post
"Fact or Fiction
Well, is it true? Will a battery be damaged or discharged by letting it sit on concrete? NO!
Why then do so many people believe that concrete is a battery enemy? Years ago, batteries could have been electrically discharged by sitting on a concrete floor. My dad, for instance, owned an automotive shop for many years. In fact, I grew up on a creeper. My dad reminded me time after time, "Set that battery on wood! I know batteries discharge on concrete because I’ve witnessed it!" And he was right at that time.
Historical Basis
You see, the myth that concrete drains batteries does have some historical basis. Many, many years ago, wooden battery cases encased a glass jar with the battery inside. Any moisture on the floor could cause the wood to swell and possibly fracture the glass, causing it to leak. Later came the introduction of the hard rubber cases, which were somewhat porous and had a high-carbon content. An electrical current could be conducted through this container if the moist concrete floor permitted the current to find an electrical ground. The wise advice of the old days to "keep batteries off concrete" has been passed down to us today, but it no longer applies because of the advanced technology of today’s batteries.
Walleye Willy, I could not disagree with you more! I teach a battery course at a local college and the accepted technology is as follows. I have posted this before as well.

Okay guys, here is the truth on the concrete floor and battery phenomenon. When a battery is placed on a concrete floor, the floor is generally colder than the air temperature in the garage. It will act like a heatsink and cause the bottom of the battery to become slightly cooler than the top. This temperature variance will stratify the electrolyte slightly with the denser (greater specific gravity) electrolyte sinking to the bottom of the cells. With a difference in the specific gravity within the electrolyte from the top of the cell to the bottom, a potential voltage difference is set up from top to bottom and thus a self discharge current flows within the cell. When a lead acid battery is stored in a discharged state, the PBSO4 that forms on the plates will change from a soluble slime to a crystalized hard non-soluble structure if the battery is left uncharged for months on end. Charging the battery moves the SO4 ions back into electrolyte as H2SO4 (sulfuric acid) and the plates will be free of the lead sulfate slime. This crystalizing phenomenon is known as battery sulfation which is a non-recoverable state. Once level 3 bonds are formed over time in the lead sulfate there is no breaking them no matter how much you charge the battery. There are desulfation compounds that can be added to batteries to help prevent this. EDTA (ethylenediaminetetraacetic acid) is one such compound but a batteries plates must be treated with it prior to being filled with acid as it is non-soluble in an acidic solution.

Morel of the story: Storing a battery on a concrete floor will cause faster self discharge and a battery stored in a discharged state will sulfate. Keep your batteries charged and stored properly.
Old 12-22-2010, 03:22 PM
Banned

10. WHAT ARE SOME OF THE MYTHS ABOUT BATTERIES?

10.1. Storing a battery on a concrete floor will discharge them.

A hundred years ago when battery cases were made of porous materials, such as wood, storing batteries on concrete floors would accelerate their discharge. Modern battery cases, made of polypropylene or hard rubber, which are better sealed, so external leakage, causing discharge, is no longer a problem. However, the top of the battery must be clean and dry. Temperature stratification within large batteries could accelerate the internal leakage or self-discharge if the battery is sitting on a cold floor in a warm room or is installed in a submarine.

10.2. Driving a car will fully recharge a battery.

Some of factors affecting a car charging system's ability to charge a battery are: how much current from the alternator is diverted to the battery to charge it, how long the current is available and the temperature. Generally, idling the engine or on short stop-and-go trips during bad or hot weather or at night will not recharge a battery. A long daytime trip in warm weather should recharge a battery.

10.3. A battery will not explode.

Recharging a wet lead-acid battery normally produces hydrogen and oxygen gasses. While spark retarding vent caps help prevent battery explosions, they occur when jumping, connecting or disconnecting charger or battery cables, and starting the engine. While not fatal, battery explosions cause thousands of eye and burn injuries each year.

When battery explosions occur when starting an engine, here is the usual sequence of events: One or more cells had a high concentration of hydrogen gas (above 4.1%) because the vent cap was clogged or a defective valve did not release the gas. The electrolyte levels fell below the top of the plates due to high under hood temperatures, overcharging, or poor maintenance. A low resistive bridge or treeing formed between the top of the plates such that when the current started to flow, it caused an arc or spark in one of the cells. That combination of events ignites the gas, blows the battery case cover off and spatters electrolyte all over the engine compartment. The largest number of battery explosions while starting an engine occurs in hot climates.

When an explosion happens, thoroughly rinse the engine compartment with water, and then wash it with a solution of one-pound baking soda to one gallon of warm water to neutralize the residual battery acid. Then thoroughly rewash the engine compartment with water. Periodic preventive maintenance (please see Section 7.7.), working on batteries in well ventilated areas or using Valve Regulated Lead Acid (AGM or gel cell) type batteries can significantly reduce the possibility of battery explosions.

10.4. A battery will not lose its charge sitting in storage.

Depending on the type of battery, it has natural self-discharge or internal electrochemical leakage at a 1% to 15% rate per month that will cause it to become sulfated and fully discharged over time. Higher temperatures accelerate this process. A battery stored at 95° F (35° C) will self discharge twice as fast than one at 75° F (23.9° C). (Please see Section 9.)

10.5. Maintenance free batteries never require maintenance.

In hot climates, water in the electrolyte is decomposed due to the high temperatures and normal charging of a wet maintenance free battery. Water can also be lost due to excessive charging voltage or charging currents. Non-sealed batteries are recommended in hot climates so they can be refilled with distilled water when this occurs. Please see Section 7.7. for other preventive maintenance that should be performed on maintenance free batteries.

10.6. Test the alternator by disconnecting the battery with the engine running.

A battery as like a voltage stabilizer or filter to the pulsating DC produced by the charging system. Disconnecting a battery while the engine is running can destroy sensitive electronic components, for example, emission computer, audio system, cell phone, alarm system, etc., or even the charging system itself. These damages can occur because the voltage can rise to 40 volts or more. In the 1970s, removing a battery terminal was an accepted practice to test charging systems of that era. That is not the case today. Just say NO if anyone suggests this.

10.7. Pulse chargers, aspirins or additives will revive sulfated batteries.

Using pulse chargers or additives is a very controversial subject. Most battery experts agree that there is no conclusive proof that more expensive pulse charges work any better than constant voltage chargers to remove sulfation. They also agree that there is no evidence that additives or even aspirins provide any long-term benefits.

10.8. On really cold days turn your headlights on to “warm up” the battery up before starting your engine.

While there is no doubt that turning on your headlights will increase the current flow in a car battery; it also consumes valuable capacity that could be used to start the engine. Therefore, this is not recommended. For extremely cold temperatures, externally powered battery warmers, battery blankets, or engine block heaters are highly recommended. AGM and Ni-Cad batteries perform better in extremely cold temperatures than wet cell batteries.

10.9. Batteries last longer in hot climates than in cold ones.

Batteries last approximately two thirds as long in hot climates as cold ones. Heat kills batteries, especially sealed wet lead acid batteries.

10.10. Deep cycle batteries have a memory.

Lead acid deep cycle batteries do not have the so called memory effect that first generation Ni-Cad batteries have.
Old 12-22-2010, 04:51 PM

I use battery tenders on my quad and motorcycle batteries,when they are not in use.Unlike a normal trickle charger,or even a normal charger,a battery tender maintains the voltage at a constant level,which prolongs battery life.
Old 12-22-2010, 04:59 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
I use battery tenders on my quad and motorcycle batteries,when they are not in use.Unlike a normal trickle charger,or even a normal charger,a battery tender maintains the voltage at a constant level,which prolongs battery life.
Absolutely the best thing you can do for your battery! They are also referred to as a float chargers. They keep the batteries from self discharging and thus prevent sulfation.
Old 12-22-2010, 05:18 PM

Location: 3rd rock from the sun, formerly from 4th rock from the sun
Thumbs up

I use the two amp battery smart chargers and leave them hooked up to the quad batteries and once they're charged the charger goes into tender mode applying a charge only when needed. Works great for batteries that don't get used on a regular basis. Plus CT put's them on sale for $15-$20 instead of $40on a regular basis and they come with an assortement of quick connect adapters