Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-20-2010, 08:28 PM

Default DPF Delete Kits

Does any one know of a Dodge dealer in central Alberta that will remove Diesel Particulate Filter.
Old 12-20-2010, 09:09 PM

why do you want to remove it?you do know that you can face a fine if you get caught dont think you will find a dealer to remove it as it will void warranty.
Old 12-20-2010, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hawken View Post
you do know that you can face a fine if you get caught dont think you will find a dealer to remove it as it will void warranty.
In california maybe.

Some dealerships will do it.
Old 12-20-2010, 09:17 PM

if ya dont know what im looking for please dont post. did you know that diesel over time will leak past your rings, causing pre mature oil break down? do you know what kind of back pressure this system has? i like my trucks in top runing condition. Injection diesel in to the cylinder on the exhaust stroke is not good for any part of you system. I heard a dealer near Rimbey does it.
Old 12-20-2010, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiceboy View Post
if ya dont know what im looking for please dont post. did you know that diesel over time will leak past your rings, causing pre mature oil break down? do you know what kind of back pressure this system has? i like my trucks in top runing condition. Injection diesel in to the cylinder on the exhaust stroke is not good for any part of you system. I heard a dealer near Rimbey does it.
these trucks do not inject diesel into the cylinders on the exhaust strokes. they inject it into the exhaust catalyst to increase the temp to burn off the excess carbon. any shop can install a aftermarket exhaust to get rid of it but ur dealer may void ur warranty if done. best to talk to ur dealer aboutit
Old 12-20-2010, 10:16 PM
Banned

im stranded in edmonton right now because of a (*^^&$^#% dpf malfunction. AAAAAGGGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!

i dont blame you a bit for wanting to get rid of the g/d thing
Old 12-20-2010, 10:45 PM

phone NADP in edmonton buy the chip (fooler) and the pipe and do it yourself and save big bucks.
I had the fooler first and once the edge chip with dpf delete came out added that.

http://www.nadp.ca/bigrigpower/
Old 12-20-2010, 11:23 PM

I got mine at jbpowercenter in edmonton, delete pipe and tuner $900. Even got the higher up tuner for the price of lower end one because he told me on phone he had it but couldnt find it. Great guys, lots of knowledge. Cheapest prices in Edmonton
Old 12-20-2010, 11:25 PM

Default dpf delete

Talked the guys at Drayton Valley Big West Dodge, they do them, Apparently the emissions control is only applicable in B.C. and Quebec. They install for about 1400$. The guys at NADP do it also they are recommended by a lot of guys and personally I trust them more than Dodge dealers.
Old 12-21-2010, 06:26 AM

angler1.. Which system is Big West using?? And are they saying that they will still honor your warranty?
Old 12-21-2010, 07:16 AM

a dodge dealer is the only one that can install one and keep your warranty. i now about the after market guys. Yes it does inject diesel on the exhaust stroke. how do you think it gets in there? At least my ford was that way there are no fuel line to disconnect when you remove them? magic maybe.
Old 12-21-2010, 07:26 AM

Getting rid of the DPF is the best thing you can do for that truck. Not only save a lot of grief, but fuel mileage will increase by about 7 mpg. Makes you wonder how it is so much better for the environment when the fuel consumption is increased significantly when they are used.
I do know a dodge dealership that removes them, I think they charge right around $1200. I will PM it to you, I'm sure they don't want it being blabbed all over an internet forum.
Old 12-21-2010, 07:32 AM

these dpf systems are there because of federal regs in order to sell the vehicle.i have been to courses in ab where instructors have told me that by altering any vehicle chip,dpf delete,lift kit from orginal you can be fined.now i know this probally wont happen for a while but it will happen.you can pay the money now and delete but if you get the fine then what?some might say its worth it.i work for dodge i dont like all the bs that they put on the vehicle but chev and ford are doing the same.its not the 80's anymore and you cant just cut it out like the old cats.i cant see how a dealer would delete it but if they are dodge dont know about it.and there is now why by altering a vehicle you can still have warranty.they only why is if they are not telling dodge what is going on but they will get caught.
Old 12-21-2010, 09:08 AM

I would definatenly get it in writing if the dealer if they is doing the deletes and still offering warranty. Dodge has been known for not accpeting warranty claims for just changing out the air box or changing the exhaust system. Most of the guys that are doing the deletes are accpeting the fact that the warranty is done when they do it or they swap in the factory systems when the truck goes in for service. The delete manufacturer has a disclaimer as well that the mod is for "off road" use only and they are not responsible if there are any issues.
Old 12-21-2010, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Medicine View Post
angler1.. Which system is Big West using?? And are they saying that they will still honor your warranty?
Hi wolf, they are using the same kit that NADP uses, I think it is called a sporty junior. They install them without losing warranty, I was told this by both the mechanic as well as the service manager.
Old 12-21-2010, 09:47 AM
Banned

Quote:
these dpf systems are there because of federal regs in order to sell the vehicle.i have been to courses in ab where instructors have told me that by altering any vehicle chip,dpf delete,lift kit from orginal you can be fined.now i know this probally wont happen for a while but it will happen.you can pay the money now and delete but if you get the fine then what?some might say its worth it.i work for dodge i dont like all the bs that they put on the vehicle but chev and ford are doing the same.its not the 80's anymore and you cant just cut it out like the old cats.i cant see how a dealer would delete it but if they are dodge dont know about it.and there is now why by altering a vehicle you can still have warranty.they only why is if they are not telling dodge what is going on but they will get caught.
complete and absolute bullsnot!!! dont believe everything you hear dude.
Old 12-21-2010, 09:59 AM
Banned

Default hmmm

Quote:
I have a hard time believing the cash hungry police in this province aren't capitalizing on this pool of money by handing out millions of dollars in fines for everyone that has lift kits, dpf deletes, chips, etc etc. Do you have any reference to an actual law or even an actual occurence of anyone EVER being fined for these "infractions". Would love to hear about it. Thanks.

DPF delete is the best thing you can do for your diesel. Instant fuel savings.
Old 12-21-2010, 10:30 AM

From Alberta Motor Vehicle Equipment regulations
Quote:
"(6) A person shall not alter a car manufactured before April 1,
1976 in such a way that the bumper is more than 100 millimetres
higher or lower than it was at the time the car was manufactured."
From Transport Canada
Quote:
"passenger car" means a vehicle having a designated seating capacity of 10 or less, but does not include an all-terrain vehicle, a competition vehicle, a low-speed vehicle, a multi-purpose passenger vehicle, an antique reproduction vehicle, a motorcycle, a truck, a trailer, a vehicle imported temporarily for special purposes or a three-wheeled vehicle;
There are some vehicles that are lifted that they are a danger to others, with raised bumpers too high they can enter the other vehicle passenger space and harm the passengers in that vehicle. If you haven't noticed commerical trailers now have lower rear bumper to catch vehicles that could slide under the trailers. When the company I work for tried to import on out of the states the trailer had to have the lower bumper onstalled before it was allowed into Canada.
All I know is I was hit by an overly modified vehicle I would be contacting my lawyer.
Old 12-21-2010, 11:02 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by geezer55 View Post

From Transport Canada

There are some vehicles that are lifted that they are a danger to others, with raised bumpers too high they can enter the other vehicle passenger space and harm the passengers in that vehicle. If you haven't noticed commerical trailers now have lower rear bumper to catch vehicles that could slide under the trailers. When the company I work for tried to import on out of the states the trailer had to have the lower bumper onstalled before it was allowed into Canada.
All I know is I was hit by an overly modified vehicle I would be contacting my lawyer.
so there is a quote from the law saying that yes a lift kit is legal. i doubt youll find such a legislation on the other items though. they tend to list things illegal, not what is.
Old 12-21-2010, 11:05 AM
Banned

Default before 1976??

Quote:

From Transport Canada

So any car manufactured after 1976 can be lifted to any height? Am I reading that right?
Old 12-21-2010, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccmckee View Post
I would definatenly get it in writing if the dealer if they is doing the deletes and still offering warranty. Dodge has been known for not accpeting warranty claims for just changing out the air box or changing the exhaust system. Most of the guys that are doing the deletes are accpeting the fact that the warranty is done when they do it or they swap in the factory systems when the truck goes in for service. The delete manufacturer has a disclaimer as well that the mod is for "off road" use only and they are not responsible if there are any issues.
You will never find a dealer willing to put this in writing. I have heard of a few dealerships that will still work your warranty through if you have done aftermarket installs but that is all due to the fact that the person has bought numerous vehicles from them or as a favor. They can void warranty over silly stuff like after market stereos.
Old 12-21-2010, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishootbambi View Post
complete and absolute bullsnot!!! dont believe everything you hear dude.
Actually, in reference to the DPF, its not. You should do some research before belittling people. Its part of the 2007 EPA emissions mandate for highway trucks. It also includes diesel pickup trucks. EC (Environment Canada) is following the EPA's emission mandates. If a DPF is altered, removed, or bypassed in any way shape or form, the operator can be fined. I don't beleive EC is policing it in Canada (yet) but I know for a fact people have been fined in the States. If EC (or a related body of enforcement) wanted to start policing and issue a fine in Canada for a DPF delete, you bet your ar$e they could.
Old 12-21-2010, 11:52 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdfish View Post
Actually, in reference to the DPF, its not. You should do some research before belittling people. Its part of the 2007 EPA emissions mandate for highway trucks. It also includes diesel pickup trucks. EC (Environment Canada) is following the EPA's emission mandates. If a DPF is altered, removed, or bypassed in any way shape or form, the operator can be fined. I don't beleive EC is policing it in Canada (yet) but I know for a fact people have been fined in the States. If EC (or a related body of enforcement) wanted to start policing and issue a fine in Canada for a DPF delete, you bet your ar$e they could.
im not belittling anyone. simply stating facts....some of which were proven in the very next post. i suppose i should have highlighted the lift part of the statement as thats specifically what i was referring to. as for emissions crap....i know of no law stating you cant alter your exhaust to suit, so long as the noise level is acceptable. if you can show some legislation on it here in alberta, im open to learning. altering vehicle performance with a chip is also quite legal as far as i know. again, show me some legislation, im willing to learn something on that as well.
also keep in mind that the people you know fined in the us are subject to some things that we are not...particularly in california.

Last edited by ishootbambi; 12-21-2010 at 12:01 PM.
Old 12-21-2010, 11:54 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugatika View Post
So any car manufactured after 1976 can be lifted to any height? Am I reading that right?
i dont believe there is a limit on the actual lift....but there is on the height of the bumper....for reasons stated. of course bumpers can be moved and/or exchanged to suit the requirements of the law.
Old 12-21-2010, 01:40 PM

Default Do they know?

I would guess that 99.9% of the RCMP, City Police, County Sherriff's wouldn't know what a DPF is or where to look for it.

I can't see them crawling under the truck to look for it. If they did, do they know the difference between it and a muffler?

I believe in California and other states, annual emission inspections are required. Alberta has not gone down that route yet.

DPF's are in the same category and catalytic converters. They make for good publicity and keep environmentalists happy but in reality cause more trouble and damage than a properly tuned vehicle.
Old 12-21-2010, 02:45 PM

look here

Quote:
Mufflers

61(1) A motor vehicle propelled by an internal combustion engine must have an exhaust muffler that is cooling and expelling the exhaust gases from the engine without excessive noise and without producing flames or sparks.

(2) A person shall not drive or operate a motor vehicle propelled by an internal combustion engine if the exhaust outlet of the muffler has been widened.

(3) A person shall not drive or operate a motor vehicle propelled by an internal combustion engine if a device is attached to the exhaust system or the muffler that increases the noise made by the expulsion of gases from the engine or allows a flame to be ignited from the exhaust system.
By modifying your exhaust at all, you are illegal. Enforcing it is another thing.

Quote:
76(1) In this section, “passenger car” means a motor vehicle that is designed primarily to transport people and has a seating capacity of 10 or fewer but does not include a truck, a multipurpose passenger vehicle, a chassis cab, a motor cycle or a moped;
(2) A passenger car must have both a front and a rear bumper.
(3) A person shall not install or alter a bumper on a passenger car unless the design of the bumper is equivalent to, and the bumper is mounted in substantially the same manner as, the bumper installed by the manufacturer of the passenger car.
(4) A person shall not alter a passenger car in such a way that the main structural component of a bumper is more than 500 millimetres or less than 400 millimetres above ground level when the passenger car is not loaded.
(5) For the purposes of subsection (4), components that are commonly known as bumperettes or overriders are not part of the main structural component of a bumper or of the projected vertical facing of a bumper.
(6) Subsection (4) does not apply to passenger cars manufactured before April 1, 1976.
(7) A person shall not alter a car manufactured before April 1, 1976 in such a way that the bumper is more than 100 millimetres higher or lower than it was at the time the car was manufactured.
Old 12-21-2010, 02:51 PM

Quote:
DPF's are in the same category and catalytic converters. They make for good publicity and keep environmentalists happy but in reality cause more trouble and damage than a properly tuned vehicle.
And you are correct, except the gov't basically dropped the EPA standards on the manufacturers without much warning. So instead of each manuf. scrambling to build a completely new motor, they came up with the DPF system. You can bet that the next gen diesels won't have the dpf system.
Old 12-21-2010, 02:57 PM

wow this thread jacked off in a new direction. thancks to all of you that sent me pms. i live in leduc so i think i will go with ponoka. i checked a few of the other dealers and they all seem to lean toward the smarty JR. Thanks again to all with helpful info!
Old 12-21-2010, 03:10 PM
hunter49

Quote:

From Transport Canada

"(6) A person shall not alter a car manufactured before April 1,
1976 in such a way that the bumper is more than 100 millimetres
higher or lower than it was at the time the car was manufactured."

Thanks for gracing us with this new info. I think you should read into your quotes before posting them. Any vehicle manufactured BEFORE April 1, 1976. Your lawyer would laugh at you.
Old 12-21-2010, 03:42 PM

I guess I should have found all the info before posting. He wouldn't laugh because of 79(3).

http://www.canlii.org/en/ab/laws/reg...-122-2009.html

Vehicle Equipment Regulation, Alta. Reg. 122/2009
Current version: as posted between Jul 6, 2009 and Dec 10, 2010

Bumpers

79(1) A passenger car must have both a front and a rear bumper.

(2) A person shall not install or alter a bumper on a passenger car unless the design of the bumper is equivalent to, and the bumper is mounted in substantially the same manner as, the bumper installed by the manufacturer of the passenger car.

(3) A person shall not alter a passenger car in such a way that the main structural component of a bumper is more than 500 millimetres or less than 400 millimetres above ground level when the passenger car is not loaded.

(4) For the purposes of subsection (3), components that are commonly known as bumperettes or overriders are not part of the main structural component of a bumper or of the projected vertical facing of a bumper.

(5) Subsection (3) does not apply to passenger cars manufactured before April 1, 1976.

(6) A person shall not alter a car manufactured before April 1, 1976 in such a way that the bumper is more than 100 millimetres higher or lower than it was at the time the car was manufactured.