Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-20-2010, 04:18 PM

Default P0206 code for Cummins 5.9 diesel in a Dodge 2500

My Dodge 2500 5.9 diesel started to run terrible last night coming back from Lethbridge. The engine light came on and it was P0206. I have looked on the web and it is the # 6 cylinder. There a few problems that they talk about and I'm wondering if anyone on the board has had this problem. I don't want to get nailed to the cross if or when I take the truck in. One of the mentions was that the wiring harness can become problematic. That would be an easier fix than replacing injectors.
Old 12-20-2010, 04:31 PM

P0206..... Means you should have bought a powerstroke!! Kidding!!

The guy I would call is Chris Dix in Calgary. I don't have his number handy but he is a diesel wizard!! Try to google him? You can always PM me later for it as I've got it at home.
Old 12-20-2010, 07:10 PM

P0206 is it misfiring on cylinder 6. if so, change the coil. if its a gas engine not sure if diesel has a coil or not
Old 12-20-2010, 07:25 PM
Banned

Default likely an injector

http://www.obd-codes.com/p0206
Old 12-20-2010, 07:34 PM

what makes you think you wil get nailed.i am a chrysler tech and can tell you that there can be a number of things that could cause this problem.most likely inj harness but that being said it could be a inj or pcm.the problems with the vehicles of today is that most are electrical problems and are not straight forward and are very intermittent.take it to a good dodge tech not a back yard mechanic and dont get nailed.is there ant warranty left?
Old 12-20-2010, 07:43 PM

what year of truck is it? These guys can help out a lot http://www.dieselram.com/
Old 12-20-2010, 07:58 PM

Im driving a 03 Dogde 2500. last week i cycled the glow plugs twice and the same code came up. The truck dont like starting in the cold weather at all. Apparently it has always had a problem starting from -10 and colder. Hows your dodge for starting in the cold?
Old 12-20-2010, 08:12 PM

Just an FYI the cummins doesn't use glow plugs but rather grid heaters in the intake for cold starts.My '96 gets plugged in when it gets down to -20 or worse, otherwise i just cycle the heaters 2 o3 times and give it a little pedal and away she goes. She'll spit and sputter forthe first minute or so until it gets some heat in the cylinders, then it idles up fine.
Old 12-20-2010, 08:41 PM

Good to know, was told glow plugs so thats what I said. Plugged in or not dont wanna start. Anyways back to the code.
Old 12-20-2010, 09:38 PM

code P0206 will be the injector 80% of the time, a simple test with an ohm meter will tell the story. As for starting, clean the cross bolt for the drivers and passanger positive cables with a wire wheel. The intake preheater runs much better when it gets full battery power.
Old 12-20-2010, 09:55 PM

VERY highly recommend the Diesel Truck Resource forum for info:

Diesel Truck Resource Forum

I'm gotten piles of info off of there, we have 2 2002 CTDs.
Old 12-20-2010, 10:42 PM

1st time was injector harness (valve cover)
2nd time was injector.

Easy to fix.
Old 12-20-2010, 10:50 PM

Don't know the code number but my 07 would just run like crap for a few minutes then good. Dealer replaced valve cover gasket and ran fine but then a month later was worse. New dealer said inj #1 shorted and shutdown bank A. Replaced inj and ran good for a couple weeks. Did the same thing and my programmer was saying inj #6 now. Took it to original dealer and they replaced pcm i now. Running good again for the last couple days now.
Old 12-21-2010, 09:12 AM

The Common Rail injectors are not known for their longevity, unlike the older mechanical ones. Most guys are lucky to get 80-100,000km out of them before they need to be replaced. Then you buy aftermarket ones cheaper and with better spray patterns for better mileage and power. i can buy 6 injectors for the price of 1 of the CR Style.
If you need injectors i would call Harry @ Peak Diesel Performance in BC he is great to deal with and will generally have the best prices on anything.
http://www.peakdieselperformance.com
Old 12-21-2010, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccmckee View Post
The Common Rail injectors are not known for their longevity, unlike the older mechanical ones. Most guys are lucky to get 80-100,000km out of them before they need to be replaced. Then you buy aftermarket ones cheaper and with better spray patterns for better mileage and power. i can buy 6 injectors for the price of 1 of the CR Style.
If you need injectors i would call Harry @ Peak Diesel Performance in BC he is great to deal with and will generally have the best prices on anything.
http://www.peakdieselperformance.com
X2 for Harry Kellaher. I still miss Piers and Louise though ...Back in the day
Old 12-22-2010, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Juice? View Post
X2 for Harry Kellaher. I still miss Piers and Louise though ...Back in the day
X3 for Peak. I have oredered parts from them as well, and always great to deal with.