Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 04-22-2020, 08:48 AM

Default Covid and the 2020 hunting season

Anyone else worried about this COVID thing screwing us all up for the hunting season.?
With the government trying to shut down everything that appears fun, especially outdoorsy things like hiking and parks, is anyone worried this crap will extend it's time into the fall and early winter and ruin chances of hunting this year.?

Hunting is the one thing I look forward too all year round, like many of you, and it's sounding like the powers that be are trying to ruin everyone's summer with this crap. It would really get me if they ruined our hunting season this year too.

Thoughts?
Old 04-22-2020, 09:09 AM

Unless we go into lockdown, and I can't see that happening, I don't think they can really stop you, especially if you own the land you're hunting. Places like Wainwright may be a no go though.
Old 04-22-2020, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Carnicero View Post
Anyone else worried about this COVID thing screwing us all up for the hunting season.?
With the government trying to shut down everything that appears fun, especially outdoorsy things like hiking and parks, is anyone worried this crap will extend it's time into the fall and early winter and ruin chances of hunting this year.?

Hunting is the one thing I look forward too all year round, like many of you, and it's sounding like the powers that be are trying to ruin everyone's summer with this crap. It would really get me if they ruined our hunting season this year too.

Thoughts?
Who is the "they" you refer to ? I take it you feel there is a conspiracy behind all this Corvid stuff. The real overall plan is suggested my health officials in order to keep as many people as possible safe from a virus that none of us want. So you like to hunt. so what if they feel a hunting season has to be shut down. we all will miss it. If you are that much different than anyone else, let us know. Maybe they could arrange a special permit for you. Some of you guys just don't get it ! .. and probably never will.
There are thousands of people who will surely die if they get it. Obviously your not one of them. Follow the protocol, do as directed and shut up. Your parents may thank you for the consideration
Old 04-22-2020, 09:27 AM

If Alberta is still under Covid restrictions at the end of August, we will all have much larger concerns than hunting season.

Gerry Burnie
Old 04-22-2020, 09:40 AM

It would be nice if they would limit travels within the province to 100km. We would have the best hunting season ever without the invasion of city folks.
Old 04-22-2020, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salavee View Post
Who is the "they" you refer to ? I take it you feel there is a conspiracy behind all this Corvid stuff. The real overall plan is suggested my health officials in order to keep as many people as possible safe from a virus that none of us want. So you like to hunt. so what if they feel a hunting season has to be shut down. we all will miss it. If you are that much different than anyone else, let us know. Maybe they could arrange a special permit for you. Some of you guys just don't get it ! .. and probably never will.
There are thousands of people who will surely die if they get it. Obviously your not one of them. Follow the protocol, do as directed and shut up. Your parents may thank you for the consideration
Nobody suggested a conspiracy. What is a valid question is how much of our liberty we're willing to give up and which measures are actually making a difference. Given how many times the official story from our government has changed, I think it's a safe bet they're making it up as they go along and erring on the side of extreme caution. There's credible evidence to suggest far more of us have already had the virus than the numbers suggest and that a herd immunity might be the best solution for non-high-risk individuals.

If that is true, then there's no valid reason to shut down hunting seasons, especially considering it's an activity that a significant portion of us do alone, far away from other people. Alberta hunters should be prepared to stand up and let our voices be heard in the event anything of that nature is attempted.
Old 04-22-2020, 09:47 AM

With all the big beef and chicken plants going down, hunting may be our only source for protein.
Old 04-22-2020, 09:47 AM

Well our draws will add another point this year just in case and I will be out to a friends property during the summer scouting, putting up trail cams and maybe developing a couple stand locations just in case they say no go to the crown land.
Old 04-22-2020, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huk View Post
Nobody suggested a conspiracy. What is a valid question is how much of our liberty we're willing to give up and which measures are actually making a difference. Given how many times the official story from our government has changed, I think it's a safe bet they're making it up as they go along and erring on the side of extreme caution. There's credible evidence to suggest far more of us have already had the virus than the numbers suggest and that a herd immunity might be the best solution for non-high-risk individuals.

If that is true, then there's no valid reason to shut down hunting seasons, especially considering it's an activity that a significant portion of us do alone, far away from other people. Alberta hunters should be prepared to stand up and let our voices be heard in the event anything of that nature is attempted.
It sounds like you're a born leader with some kind of medial degree. Hope that mentality doesnt affect the herd. Darwin had a theory about that.
Old 04-22-2020, 09:52 AM

Like it or not the decision will be made for us. Bear is open for now at least, get out and hunt while you can.I assume/pray and hope that by August the virus will be under control enough to ease restrictions on some everyday activities, including fall hunting season.

I have no problem hunting alone if that's the rule put in place.

I can see non resident hunting stopped, or strictly curtailed though.

Remember Jason Nixon is an avid outdoors-man and will have some say in what may happen.
Old 04-22-2020, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post
Like it or not the decision will be made for us. Bear is open for now at least, get out and hunt while you can.I assume/pray and hope that by August the virus will be under control enough to ease restrictions on some everyday activities, including fall hunting season.

Remember Jason Nixon is an avid outdoors-man and will have some say in what may happen.
I agree... Lets hope. But Jason Nixon will have little to do and say with any decision that is ultimately made in regard to the Corvid crisis vs Hunting as Hunting is very low on most priority lists right now.
Old 04-22-2020, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Wow!, I don't know who ****ed in your Corn Flakes this morning, but if you feel that you need to use that much frustration and irritation to answer a simple innocent question, maybe next time don't answer it.

I never said anything about a conspiracy over this Covid thing, but seeing as you brought it up, yeah, I do have my own theories about it. But that's for a different threat.

Is it real and are people dying from it, Yes. and that's sad, it truly is. Do I trust the government in what they say?, Absolutely not. Anyone who gives 100% trust to the government and is willing to sit idle while they erode our freedoms little by little, without at the least speaking up about it has a blind fold on. You might as well load yourself into a box car now.
That doesn't mean I do nothing and don't take the suggested precautions. Lets all remember, Social Distancing is NOT the same as Social Isolation. Which you appear to have forgotten.

As far as thinking I'm something special compared to the rest of this group. That was never once implied. I was simply asking if anyone else had any similar thoughts and what personal conclusions they had come to.

So in light of your irritated response to a simple question, may I suggest you put the computer down, go put your PJ's back on and crawl back in bed for a couple more hours, as it appears that you were not ready to wake up this morning and handle the day.
Old 04-22-2020, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Wow!, I don't know who ****ed in your Corn Flakes this morning, but if you feel that you need to use that much frustration and irritation to answer a simple innocent question, maybe next time don't answer it.

I never said anything about a conspiracy over this Covid thing, but seeing as you brought it up, yeah, I do have my own theories about it. But that's for a different threat.

Is it real and are people dying from it, Yes. and that's sad, it truly is. Do I trust the government in what they say?, Absolutely not. Anyone who gives 100% trust to the government and is willing to sit idle while they erode our freedoms little by little, without at the least speaking up about it has a blind fold on. You might as well load yourself into a box car now.
That doesn't mean I do nothing and don't take the suggested precautions. Lets all remember, Social Distancing is NOT the same as Social Isolation. Which you appear to have forgotten.

As far as thinking I'm something special compared to the rest of this group. That was never once implied. I was simply asking if anyone else had any similar thoughts and what personal conclusions they had come to.

So in light of your irritated response to a simple question, may I suggest you put the computer down, go put your PJ's back on and crawl back in bed for a couple more hours, as it appears that you were not ready to wake up this morning and handle the day.
You asked for a response and you got one. If you find your freedoms are being eroded, so be it. However, during a declared pandemic crisis is a bad time to air your self-centered concerns about losing a few freedoms. If the losses you feel continue after this crisis is over, that s a different story.. have at it. I may even join you. Until then..
Old 04-22-2020, 10:43 AM

Quote:
You asked for a response and you got one. If you find your freedoms are being eroded, so be it. However, during a declared pandemic crisis is a bad time to air your self-centered concerns about losing a few freedoms. If the losses you feel continue after this crisis is over, that s a different story.. have at it. I may even join you. Until then..
This " epidemic" has sure opened my eyes as to the division between people even within in the outdoorsman community.
Old 04-22-2020, 10:47 AM

Quote:

Thoughts?
For me. If they sell tags I'll be hunting. I hope they sell tags. If they don't I'll probably "hunt" with a canon. There is absolutely no reason why I couldn't be out in the bush no matter what government restrictions. My wooded acreage backs right onto crown land so I don't even have to get into a truck to hunt. For those in the city it would be different. I pray that it doesn't come to that
Old 04-22-2020, 11:27 AM

Quote:

Thoughts?
Private land or not they don't sell tags can't go hunting but it is an honest question can they stop everyone else from going hunting.

Alberta could use a break from hunting at least a season.
Landowners would have to find something else to complain about etc.
Old 04-22-2020, 11:29 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:

Thoughts?
I'm not sure if it's the government or even professionals spreading the doom and gloom, but I sure see why some would be concerned about this fall.

If there is any truth to the claim that this virus is mutating at this very moment, anything is possible. Stay at home orders, road blocks, you name it. It's all possible.

Many are so afraid of dying they are willing to die to avoid it.

Sounds stupid doesn't it, but it's what we see happening all around us these days.

Stay home, save lives they say, while the experts say all the rules are to slow the spread. A very different message.

Fact, so far the overwhelming majority of deaths have been old people.

Fact, most of those deaths occurred long after the present rules were put in place.

Fact, the numbers still don't come close to reaching what the common flu does every year.

All this is based on rejections and models with a bit of research thrown in to make it all seem probable.

Will this turn out to be as bad as they claim it will, I have no idea and I doubt anyone else does. And non of that matters because people are afraid.
People these days do not cope well with fear.
It's why so many want to know what rifle is best for bear defense. Or why they can't own a pistol for home defense.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 04-22-2020, 11:30 AM

Fishing is open, and I can buy tags online. Where is the issue?
Old 04-22-2020, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC View Post
If Alberta is still under Covid restrictions at the end of August, we will all have much larger concerns than hunting season.
That's for sure.
Old 04-22-2020, 11:45 AM

There is no reason they would close hunting seasons. Doesn't mean they won't try it, but there is no good reason to do so. Even if travel restrictions were in place, why would that mean an end to hunting? What if you own land, or have direct access to crown land? I don't think it'll be an issue, but who knows, you can count on government to screw up pretty much everything.
Old 04-22-2020, 11:53 AM
Gone Hunting

For those wanting to know who is dying from Covid-19, this site gives us some idea.

https://www.worldometers.info/corona...-demographics/

It shows that in New York more then 71 percent of those who died were over 60, and that only 27 out of a total of 6,839 had no known per-existing health issues.
Note that it says no known pre existing issues, not no pre-existing issues.

There doesn't seem to be stats of this nature for other parts of the world but it seems reasonable to believe it would be much the same for all areas.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 04-22-2020, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post
For those wanting to know who is dying from Covid-19, this site gives us some idea.

https://www.worldometers.info/corona...-demographics/

It shows that in New York more then 71 percent of those who died were over 60, and that only 27 out of a total of 6,839 had no known per-existing health issues.
Note that it says no known pre existing issues, not no pre-existing issues.

There doesn't seem to be stats of this nature for other parts of the world but it seems reasonable to believe it would be much the same for all areas.
Stop posting logical thoughts and solutions
Just do as your told and stay home. Our leaders say it's for our best interest and for the good of us all.
Old 04-22-2020, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post

Agree that unless we're in lockdown the season should be a go. I could see them enforcing that only family members from the same household can travel together and that hunters who meet up still keep the 6 foot distance while together. I also agree(and wouldn't have a problem with) the non-resident hunters having to stay out of Alberta this year especially if the border restrictions are still in place....
Old 04-22-2020, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessed1 View Post
This " epidemic" has sure opened my eyes as to the division between people even within in the outdoorsman community.
Yes, sad really 😔
Old 04-22-2020, 12:49 PM

I am planning as if everything is a go. Archery antelope, then north on the Sask side chasing cranes, west for archery whitetail, east again for waterfowl/chicken. Gas prices give a bit more range.
Old 04-22-2020, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by st99 View Post
It would be nice if they would limit travels within the province to 100km. We would have the best hunting season ever without the invasion of city folks.
Great idea... and if you need a ventilator well don’t bother coming to the city.
Old 04-22-2020, 01:26 PM

I’ve been thinking about what the season may bring this fall. If it’s business as usual a guy may want to invest in a flak jacket and a helmet if you live in the farmland. Lots of people were out panic buying guns and will be looking for a chance to try it out.
Who knows? We all might be feeling pretty stupid if you follow how Sweden has handled the whole situation, looks like they aren’t fairing any worse than the rest of the world so far.
Old 04-22-2020, 01:27 PM

Personally I'm surprised they are still allowing fishing as it promotes travelling and visiting different parts of the country.

I have a suspicion that if things aren't settling down and under control by late summer they could restrict/cancel hunting season. The amount of people leaving larger city centers which are the hardest hit and travelling all over the province is just asking for the virus to be spread.

I'd expect push back from areas like GP/Peace River/Rocky in the same manner Prince Rupert is fighting tooth and nail to keep non locals out. When smaller communities aren't experiencing high infecting rates I can't see them being thrilled about a sudden influx of people from all over the province.

Just my thoughts, I hope things don't come to this.
Old 04-22-2020, 01:32 PM

Only thing it may change for me is trying to gain access on new private land. I don’t want to risk knocking on doors and freaking people out who are stressed over Covid19. I hate the random phone call asking but may have to this year

I just might stick to public land or private I already have permission is all
Old 04-22-2020, 02:42 PM

This is Alberta and we have our Blue government back (Ok, pros and cons).

Pro: The recent ATV restriction/fireban events signal a desire to accommodate outdoor activities continuing with reasonable adjustments.

Hunting will go ahead, perhaps with some tweaks.

I intend to make the most of it, in fact I already am