Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 07-26-2019, 04:52 PM

Default The fever hunting show

Just watching these guys hunt Antelope in Alberta during the rifle season with a decoy never thought of using a decoy during the rifle season but I guess some people do what's your thoughts

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 07-26-2019, 05:05 PM
Banned

they always use the decoys in their videos. Seen them try to close in on some moose using them. I love their videos but their product placement pushing items is out of control.

I'm sure that's all the decoys are about.. certain amount of airtime for the sponsors.
Old 07-26-2019, 05:47 PM

I would not want to be anywhere near a decoy during rifle season, there are just too many people that are too trigger happy.
Old 07-26-2019, 06:12 PM
Banned

I seen a guy last year hunting down south who was using a decoy attached to his crossbow. It had a little hole in it for the arrow to go through and he walked up to 20 yards on one and whacked it
They might work
Old 07-26-2019, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky_mark View Post
I seen a guy last year hunting down south who was using a decoy attached to his crossbow. It had a little hole in it for the arrow to go through and he walked up to 20 yards on one and whacked it

They might work
Oh I'm not saying they don't work I've been using decoys for 20 years just not my choice on the bald prairies with a rifle season going on

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 07-26-2019, 11:56 PM

In my little brain I have a really difficult time understanding how a person would shoot something other than what their hunting for in the bush never mind not seeing a person behind, near or even not able to decipher what their shooting at on the prairies!! So many so inept!!
Old 07-27-2019, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warriorboy10 View Post
In my little brain I have a really difficult time understanding how a person would shoot something other than what their hunting for in the bush never mind not seeing a person behind, near or even not able to decipher what their shooting at on the prairies!! So many so inept!!
Have you ever hunted antelope?
A couple things come to mind with this post.
First, if the person is behind the decoy, how would you see them? lol
Second, antelope decoys are made to look like antelope. Stick one up out on the prairrie in rifle season. I'd say there's a really good chance it could get shot. Not sure that someone shooting something which at 2-300 yards looks exactly like an antelope, in an open season makes them inept. F&W use deer decoys to catch poachers shooting off the road. It works quite well. And the officer doesn't hide behind the decoy, probably for a really good reason lol.
I'm not even really sure exactly what the point of your post was? Are you suggesting that someone that gets shot while hiding behind a decoy in rifle season isn't at fault?
Hiding behind an antelope decoy in the rifle season is a really bad idea.
Old 07-27-2019, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky_mark View Post
They might work
Ultimate predator decoys - work great for moose too!
Old 07-27-2019, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warriorboy10 View Post
Unfortunately some fools shoot at anything that even remotely resembles an animal, let alone, a realistic looking decoy.
Old 07-27-2019, 07:59 AM

Good way to get shot
Old 07-27-2019, 08:31 AM

Whalen you do not need a decoy for hunting Antelope in Alberta with a riffle.
I must of have been on 10 antelope kills in my life and the hunt is over by
10 am the latest . The hardest part is getting drawn !

Every show you see ,hunting or fishing ,they are just trying to sell you some thing

This is my thought .
Old 07-27-2019, 08:39 AM

Standing close to any decoy in hunting season is a bad idea.

I was driving an Argo down a swampy cutline north of Fort McMurray 4 years ago in September. I came over a slight rise and the cutline dropped down towards the Athabasca River. 300 yards away there was what I thought was a bull moose standing on the side of the cutline. I was about 15k from the closest road and didn’t think anyone was ahead of me since there was no vehicle parked at the head of the cutline and any Argo tracks heading in the area appeared to be several days old. Fortunately I didn’t have a early season antlered moose tag that year and I was only going in to set up some trail cameras and scout around a bit in prep for a later season deer trip. Looking through my Swarovski’s I could tell the bull moose was only a decoy. I could also see the two individuals sitting right next to it all cammo’d up.

Not everyone has good optics and with the naked eye that decoy looked good enough that I’m thinking that few on here would have taken the time to look at what appeared to be a bull moose through their binoculars but more than likely the rifle would have come up first. I wouldn’t have wasted time with binoculars if I had a tag but I would have seen through the scope it was a decoy. In this area you better kill the first bull moose you see if it’s meat your after because you may not see another one all season. Heck, I’ve seen people who don’t even pack binoculars...

I drove the Argo right down to where these two individuals were sitting. One of the two was right perturbed and started calling me every name in the book for wrecking their morning hunt. Once he was done I explained to him the error of their ways and what could have very well happened if I had a bull moose tag, no binoculars and was shooting some old gun with a crappy old 4 power on it. If a different person had come over the hill lead could have been flying and they would have been in a pretty bad spot. There hadn’t even been an attempt by them to wave me down when I cleared the top of the hill. I was a bit hot myself and drew short of telling them they were complete morons but in essence they were.
Old 07-27-2019, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -JR- View Post
Whalen you do not need a decoy for hunting Antelope in Alberta with a riffle.
I must of have been on 10 antelope kills in my life and the hunt is over by
10 am the latest . The hardest part is getting drawn !

Every show you see ,hunting or fishing ,they are just trying to sell you some thing

This is my thought .
That is true been on 3 goat hunts never used one all were successful ,have decoyed in moose ,caribou ,deer ,they do have a place .
Old 07-27-2019, 09:31 AM
Banned

Montana decoys are 2d
So unless your looking at it square your not going to see it really well
Rifle antelope season in Alberta is a gong show so your have to be careful no matter what your doing
Old 07-27-2019, 09:41 AM

A decoy that looks like a Hereford works every bit as well as an antelope decoy for sneaking up on Antelope and you are way less likely to get shot at. No idea why someone would use a bull moose decoy, cow moose would work better but they are just as likely to get shot at if there is a "Keeper of the Land" anywhere near you. I would never ground sit less than 50 yards away from any game animal decoy, even on private land to which I have sole access.

All in - as long as non-trophy antelope wasn't open at the same time I don't think I would be all that worried about using a doe antelope decoy, FNs aren't that fond of antelope.
Old 07-27-2019, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
No idea why someone would use a bull moose decoy, cow moose would work better but they are just as likely to get shot at if there is a "Keeper of the Land" anywhere near you.
I think it started life as a cow moose decoy...but had been upgraded with some cardboard antlers...

Maybe that’s how they do it on the East Coast...?
Old 07-27-2019, 10:20 AM

No clue but they probably just pumping the product for advertising. Would have shot the antelope regardless of a decoy or not. Heck the come in to a wind sock!!!
Old 07-27-2019, 02:37 PM

i live down here in antelope country,and have accompanied archery hunters who use decoys, but would NEVER use one during rifle season, for the exact reasons quoted prev. Heck i wont even use my montana decoy Coyote till after rifle season is over, and even then make sure i dont sit too close to it and am way from any road

i also saw the tv show recently, and just shook my head
Old 07-27-2019, 08:04 PM

I actually asked the guys and they hunt private land, I expressed the same concerns... as people don’t always know where they are and I wouldn’t hunt private land that was visible from any road with a decoy during rifle season.

LC