Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 03-27-2015, 08:22 PM

Default .

Over the last 4 years I have had 5 kimber rifles, currently I have a 300wsm, 270 Montana, 280ai mountain ascent and my last rifle ordered 280ai Montana.

I figured I would share my story not as a deterrent but as something to think about.

For the most part all rifles were tack drivers with no real issues, until I thought I needed a 280ai in a Montana.

Story: I first purchased the 280ai montana in the summer of 2013. Upon opening the box I saw no issues. Until I tried to pull the trigger. The bedding(more like moulding) of the stock was crooked and the action was some how bent enough to force the trigger off to the side. This caused the trigger to grind on the trigger guard and stock not allowing for full uninterrupted trigger pull.

What do I do? I called kimber and they told me to bring it to korth... Easy! I bring it to korth and for the remainder of the year and 2014 I got weekly/monthly empty promises. (There goes sheep season..BOTH YEARS!)

I called kimber several times and they had the rifle waiting for me!!! But Korth would not bring the rifle over the border. I know there are some complications with shipping over the boarder but not for a full year!

Fast forward to march 2015. Good news, my rifle came in! Bad news, the trigger assembly bolt; holding the trigger to the action was stripped! Cant remove the trigger. Back to Korth I go!

Today I return my rifle and what do you know they were nice enough to give me a brand new rifle in box!!

Not so fast.....Upon my arrival home I look at the package and notice the bag the rifle comes in was open. No big deal I think, maybe they just inspected it... Ok open the bag where the bolt is.. Hmmm the bag is cut and tore raggedly with scissors. Maybe they inspected everything to put it together? Nope- Upon a further look I find the following items.

-Ding in the stock where the action sits on the stock, causing the carbon fiber to show

-Obvious signs of heavy action movement in the stock(Like it was shot)

-Copper on the bolt head( Fitting the exact diameter of 280ai brass primer pocket outline(Like it was shot)

-Dirt and grime in the chamber/action(Not grease and cutting fluid, DIRT)

-The best part yet, copper in the barrel and fowling on the barrel end(Like it was shot!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Kimber has been a fantastic group to deal with, always helpful but somewhere in the distribution chain there is an issue.

I hate to give negative reviews on companies without giving them opportunity's to redeem themselves but Korth you have let me down completely, not once or twice but 3 times now.

I cant believe you can look someone in the eyes and tell them they are getting a brand new; never shot rifle (what I originally paid for). And give them a dirty, shot up rifle and expect a person to be oblivious to it all!

Extremely disappointed

BTW: I have not had any issues with any leupold warranty from Korth and I will still promote their services for scopes.
Old 03-27-2015, 09:01 PM

thx u - what were they thinking ...big miss..you listening KORTH
Old 03-27-2015, 09:18 PM

I thought all rifles were test fired. I have bought many, many rifles and don't think I have ever come across an unfired one. I also have a kimber pistol and it was fired too. Came with the test target. It's a good think to have your rifle test fired.
Old 03-27-2015, 09:35 PM

Yes lots of rifles are test fired including kimbers. But they are also cleaned. Dirt and grime in the gun along with bits of debris like grass is not acceptable. I have a new sako with 55 rounds through it and It does not have the brass deposites on my bolt like this kimber! I will take pictures in the morning.
Old 03-27-2015, 09:53 PM

I think your rifle was discharged (Like it was shot).
Old 03-27-2015, 11:28 PM

Default korth

And you probably paid more for your Kimber by shopping with Korth. Everything I've priced out at Korth has been way more cash. I guess you pay for the service. Lol
Old 03-28-2015, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shep dog View Post
I think your rifle was discharged (Like it was shot).
I should of clarified that. Yes I understand that 80 percent of rifles are shot prior to shipping. I should of said it was obviously used by another owner or as a demo rifle prior to me getting my hands on it.
Old 03-28-2015, 07:54 AM

Default Photo

Best that I can do with my cell. I cant show the chamber/inside action area.

-first patch was pretty much dry, then I soaked the next one. Barrel could still take a bunch of scrubbing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo 2.jpg (28.1 KB, 105 views)
File Type: jpg photo 3.JPG (133.3 KB, 98 views)
File Type: jpg photo 1.JPG (121.2 KB, 102 views)
Old 03-28-2015, 08:41 AM

New barrels on rifles I've bought have always been at least that dirty.

-Billy Molls
Old 03-28-2015, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotguy89 View Post
Yes lots of rifles are test fired including kimbers. But they are also cleaned.
Never had a new rifle that wasn't dirty one way or another. Grime, grit, copper and carbon fouling from test firing, metal shavings from machining all the crap left over from the manufacturing process. Few if any manufacturers today are willing to pay the labour to have a person clean the bore and action or even blow the sawdust out of the inletting before assembling. That's why they tell you to clean the gun before shooting. How many new rifles have you purchased lately.
Old 03-28-2015, 09:13 AM

The primer soot ring on bolt face would concern me. Is there any pitting under the soot?
Old 03-28-2015, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
Never had a new rifle that wasn't dirty one way or another. Grime, grit, copper and carbon fouling from test firing, metal shavings from machining all the crap left over from the manufacturing process. Few if any manufacturers today are willing to pay the labour to have a person clean the bore and action or even blow the sawdust out of the inletting before assembling. That's why they tell you to clean the gun before shooting. How many new rifles have you purchased lately.
You have had soil and grass in your action? Wow. I will admit I don't have 100 rifles but I do have 20 or so which mix of primarily sako/kimber/cooper/Remington and some customs. Not once have I found grass in an action? Not once have I ever had pitting and copper residue on a bolt. Not gunshot residue but copper wear from a case.

I have had 5 rifle in the last 2 years and not one issue. I am not arguing that manufacturers don't have the money or time to clean rifles. I am talking about a company telling me this gun has never been used when obviously it is.

I always clean my barrels after purchase an yes I know they are always dirty with either cutting fluid or minimal amounts of copper. But when you look at and take apart the bolt it is obvious that a few test fires was not the bony action this rifle has seen? Why would there be wear on the front studs from a bipod?
Old 03-28-2015, 09:58 AM

First off, I totally understand your frustration with the original rifle.

With the replacement, I would be driving back to Korth asap, not because the rifle was test fired, but because of the ding in the stock, and how it may affect resale value. That's damage. Tell them with all things considered you want a new one or your money back in full. You have enough Kimbers. Get something else.
Old 03-28-2015, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleJ View Post
The primer soot ring on bolt face would concern me. Is there any pitting under the soot?
That's what I was thinking. Looks like a blown primer from a real hot load.
Old 03-28-2015, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
You have enough Kimbers.
You can never have enough Kimbers.
Old 03-28-2015, 10:36 AM

Don't get me wrong. Kimbers are my favourite hunting rifle. Bar none. I have had 3 Montanas and 2 Classics. I love them, but he has his bases covered, and this one was a duplicate if there ever was one.

"... currently I have a 300wsm, 270 Montana, 280ai mountain ascent and my last rifle ordered 280ai Montana."
Old 03-28-2015, 10:50 AM

Default Exactly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB2506 View Post
You can never have enough Kimbers.
Thats what I was thinking.

On monday I will return the rifle if I get the chance(As I have already left work early 3 times to deal with it). If they can admit to the issues or provide me with a brand new rifle I will be the first person to commend them.
Old 03-28-2015, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
Don't get me wrong. Kimbers are my favourite hunting rifle. Bar none. I have had 3 Montanas and 2 Classics. I love them, but he has his bases covered, and this one was a duplicate if there ever was one.

"... currently I have a 300wsm, 270 Montana, 280ai mountain ascent and my last rifle ordered 280ai Montana."
The 280ai montana was not for me but a present for someone else once load developed.
Old 03-28-2015, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotguy89 View Post
Thats what I was thinking.

On monday I will return the rifle if I get the chance(As I have already left work early 3 times to deal with it). If they can admit to the issues or provide me with a brand new rifle I will be the first person to commend them.
I am guessing that you will have a satisfactory resolution. They are good people.
Old 03-31-2015, 10:33 AM

Default No Help

After calling Kimber's center I was told that there was nothing they could do and that Korth could fix the issues and ask for another rifle from Kimber and they would send it. Kimber could not tell me a previous history other then shipping date to Canada. They would not confirm or deny that there was a possibility of the gun being returned and refurbished.. I thought that was interesting.

After speaking with Korth I was told "we are at our whits ends on this gun, I don't know what else we can do. I will talk to the boss and see what he says, but we have gone above and beyond for you"

I wouldn't of asked you to go *above and beyond* for me if there weren't issues with every single Montana rifle.

Thanks Korth
Old 03-31-2015, 10:36 AM

So what exactly have you asked them for?
Old 03-31-2015, 11:12 AM

Default Request's

-Confirmation of the history of the rifle at the very least if they cannot do anything else.

-to look at the rifle to confirm what I am seeing is not a figment of my imagination.

At this point the only thing I want is a reason as to why there is pitting on the bolt and why I received a stock that has several obvious visual defects.

My father in law purchased a Remington 223 SS heavy barrel a month ago. While cleaning and inspecting it he noticed some abrasion and wear from the tooling on the chamber end. With no questions asked a rifle was sent from the US warehouse to his front door, brand new rifle along with a gift card.

If a company as large as remington can offer a service like this I don't understand why Kimber cant. Kimber has the inventory but there is a huge disconnect from the manufacturer to the distributor and it is very obvious.

I guess I will bed and shoot the rifle and hope there isn't another problem
Old 03-31-2015, 03:40 PM

Shoot it before you bed it. All 3 of my Montanas shot like a house on fire with our any bedding.
Old 03-31-2015, 03:53 PM

Default Bedding

I think I will load develop on Friday without bedding and see what the results are like!