Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-21-2010, 10:16 AM

Default Wireless computer signals

Any pro's out there? Looking for a wireless router that will reach from my basement computer to my barn (about 75 feet away) but signal must go thru the basement and barn walls. Tired of paying for house internet and Telus 3G air in the barn, is there anything that will share my house internet over that distance without running a cable to the barn. May be a stupid question but I'm a computer idiot.
Thanks for any help given.
Old 12-21-2010, 11:17 AM

You should be able to get an external antenna for the router. Run it up to the outside of the house on the barn side and surf to your hearts content. I've got a run of the mill linksys with a normal antenna beside the living room window. I can pick up the signal about 100m away on the window side of the house. If I go the other direction about 20m is the limit. I'm no computer expert, just my experience.

ymmv.

"I find it interesting that some folk will pay to use a range, use a golf course, use a garage bay but think landowners should have to give permission for free. Do these same people think hookers should be treated like landowners?" pitw
Old 12-21-2010, 11:32 AM

Leave the router upstairs, even if your computer is in the basement (assuming that computer is wireless). That way the signal at least doesn't have to COME OUT of the basement to get to the barn.
Old 12-21-2010, 07:16 PM

As long as there's no concrete in the walls, a wireless N router should reach 75 feet to the barn no problem.
Old 12-21-2010, 08:13 PM

I had similar issues in my house as well. What I ended up doing was buying an apple Airport Extreme and an Airport express. You can set up the Express to extend a wireless network which will give you the coverage you need. That being said 75' should be no problem for any wireless N device to cover, getting the router out of the basement will help as concrete, dirt and metal pipes or ducts all mess with wireless signals.

If you need more help let me know, I do enterprise wireless networks for a living
Old 12-21-2010, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slannesh View Post
I had similar issues in my house as well. What I ended up doing was buying an apple Airport Extreme and an Airport express. You can set up the Express to extend a wireless network which will give you the coverage you need. That being said 75' should be no problem for any wireless N device to cover, getting the router out of the basement will help as concrete, dirt and metal pipes or ducts all mess with wireless signals.

If you need more help let me know, I do enterprise wireless networks for a living
I was just about to post what he said. But I'll add and get a MAC
Old 12-21-2010, 10:18 PM

I should mention that the only reason I went that way was because there wasn't an extendible option from any of the other common manufacturers at the time. An Airport Extreme is a LOT more expensive than most other wireless N routers.
Old 12-21-2010, 10:46 PM

For less than $50 you can get a wireless repeater, set it to pick up the wireless from the basement, mount it by a convenient window upstairs and it will rebroadcast the signal to the yard. Thats what I do to get wireless in my shop
Old 12-21-2010, 10:51 PM

Why exactly is 1000BASE-T (cat-5) or 1000BASE-SX (fiber) gigabit ethernet such a problem over 75 feet, in shallow trench conduit? In wintertime, I'd just run it under packed snow/ice until spring thaw. It sounds like you'd have to drill holes in both buildings anyway, for external antennas.
Old 12-21-2010, 11:23 PM

Location: Just this side of no-where on the edge of common sense

I connected a directional antennae to my router and ran it outside my office window then pointed it at our second house about 300 feet away. At the other end is an omni-directional antennae mounted in the window receiving the signal and connected to the other computer. Works just fine.

Keep Your Powder Dry,
Dave.
Old 12-22-2010, 10:16 AM
Administrator

Default Equipment vendor

You can also have a look at data-alliance.net. They sell wireless equipment for very reasonable prices. Two options are, buying a high power usb wireless adapter and antenna, which should help out in the barn, or you could try their wireless boosters.

Example 1: Wireless access point
- This access point is used in an office with many walls in-between clients. Clients were having trouble connecting inside, and could not connect outside, through a cinder block wall. I added two boosters and now there are no issues. An iPod touch that has horrible reception now gets great reception anywhere, including outside.

$49.99 each - http://www.data-alliance.net/-strse-...SMA/Detail.bok

Example 2: USB wireless adapter
- If you don't mind having a little box beside your machine in the barn, you can use a high power wireless adapter. These adapters can make a world of difference, and really extend range. I am able to connect to a municipal wireless access point at a distance of over 500 meters using one of these. This is with no direct line of sight, and passing through 2 buildings and a small forest. Your situation should be much better.

$31.89 - http://www.data-alliance.net/-strse-...0mW/Detail.bok

$27.99 - http://www.data-alliance.net/-strse-...USB/Detail.bok

$9.99 - http://www.data-alliance.net/Detail.bok?no=63 (9dbi antenna, (little over a foot long) can improve reception as well)

I have no ties to this vendor, but have purchased these items from them.
Old 12-22-2010, 12:27 PM

Default wirless router

all you need is a EnGenius EOC-2610 pm me if you are interested and i will send you a phone # of a person who can set you up
Old 12-22-2010, 09:49 PM

All you need is a D-link extreme N router our shop is over 120 feet away and all steel and full signal in the shop 49 bucks and good to go.
Old 12-23-2010, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki610 View Post
For less than $50 you can get a wireless repeater, set it to pick up the wireless from the basement, mount it by a convenient window upstairs and it will rebroadcast the signal to the yard. Thats what I do to get wireless in my shop
Do this, also a lot of routers can double as a wireless repeater. Do one upstairs and the signal will carry if it's not going through floors or a lot of walls.
Old 12-23-2010, 07:54 AM

Wow, lots of inexpensive options here, thanks everyone.