Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-21-2010, 05:19 PM

What is the difference between a cat delete and a dpf delete?

"She took all my money, she wrecked my new car, now she's with one of my good time buddies, and they're drinkin' in some cross town bar"!
Old 12-21-2010, 05:29 PM

why are you talking about bumpers? why are people giving motor vehicle quotes? i was reading all them quotes and non of them told me which dealer to use. what is the matter with half of you guys? its no wounder people stop posting on this site and move on to others. so much fighting and post jacking and no one really talks about the original post! why is that?
Old 12-21-2010, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinawalli View Post
What is the difference between a cat delete and a dpf delete?
i think this will help you out. both are on a diesel truck. the cat is in front of the dpf.

DPF is an acronym for Diesel Particulate Filter. A DPF works in conjunction with the oxidation catalyst and EGR valve to remove a majority of the NOx, particulate matter (think black, cough-inducing soot) and unburned hydrocarbons from burned diesel fuel. Soot is a natural byproduct from the combustion of diesel fuel. Inside the DPF is a porous honeycomb structure that catches the soot as it passes through. After the soot builds up over time, the onboard computer controls fuel injection to allow unburned fuel to enter the filter at measured intervals where it flares off and generates increased temperatures that incinerate the accumulated soot. The result: Soot is chopped by over 90-percent.
catalytic converter

Definition

Device attached to the exhaust system of an auto or other engine to eliminate or substantially reduce polluting emissions. It converts three harmful substances into harmless ones: carbon monoxide (a poisonous gas) into carbon dioxide, nitrogen oxides (cause acid rain and smog) into nitrogen and oxygen, and hydrocarbons (cause smog and respiratory problems) into carbon dioxide and water. Catalytic converters consist of a stainless steel box attached to the muffler and containing ceramic beads or honeycomb coated with catalysts (usually alumina, ceria, and other compounds combined with palladium, platinum, and rhodium) and various sensors that regulate the fuel and air passing through the engine.
Old 12-21-2010, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiceboy View Post
i think this will help you out. both are on a diesel truck. the cat is in front of the dpf.

DPF is an acronym for Diesel Particulate Filter. A DPF works in conjunction with the oxidation catalyst and EGR valve to remove a majority of the NOx, particulate matter (think black, cough-inducing soot) and unburned hydrocarbons from burned diesel fuel. Soot is a natural byproduct from the combustion of diesel fuel. Inside the DPF is a porous honeycomb structure that catches the soot as it passes through. After the soot builds up over time, the onboard computer controls fuel injection to allow unburned fuel to enter the filter at measured intervals where it flares off and generates increased temperatures that incinerate the accumulated soot. The result: Soot is chopped by over 90-percent.
catalytic converter

Definition

Device attached to the exhaust system of an auto or other engine to eliminate or substantially reduce polluting emissions. It converts three harmful substances into harmless ones: carbon monoxide (a poisonous gas) into carbon dioxide, nitrogen oxides (cause acid rain and smog) into nitrogen and oxygen, and hydrocarbons (cause smog and respiratory problems) into carbon dioxide and water. Catalytic converters consist of a stainless steel box attached to the muffler and containing ceramic beads or honeycomb coated with catalysts (usually alumina, ceria, and other compounds combined with palladium, platinum, and rhodium) and various sensors that regulate the fuel and air passing through the engine.
Thanks... kinda clear... I have a 06 Cummins, and I did the cat delete, and changed out the stock muffler to a MBRP one. It looks like my cat delete pipe is welded right onto the muffler. Is the DPF something that is visible fromunder the truck, or is it internal? Thanks!!

"She took all my money, she wrecked my new car, now she's with one of my good time buddies, and they're drinkin' in some cross town bar"!
Old 12-21-2010, 06:09 PM

Well that's just great, more soot spouting freaking stink trucks!!
Old 12-21-2010, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Thanks... kinda clear... I have a 06 Cummins, and I did the cat delete, and changed out the stock muffler to a MBRP one. It looks like my cat delete pipe is welded right onto the muffler. Is the DPF something that is visible fromunder the truck, or is it internal? Thanks!!
no your truck would only have a cat no dpf. Keep your cummins smoking good buddy!
Old 12-21-2010, 06:21 PM
Banned

Default actually

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
Well that's just great, more soot spouting freaking stink trucks!!
You barely notice any soot coming off the truck after the dpf delete...unless you really get into the foot-feet. What makes more smoke and pollution is when the dpf system goes into regen mode. Never really thought the system was that great for the environment any way you looked at it.
Old 12-21-2010, 06:23 PM
hunter49

Quote:
Originally Posted by geezer55 View Post
I guess I should have found all the info before posting. He wouldn't laugh because of 79(3).

(3) A person shall not alter a passenger car in such a way that the main structural component of a bumper is more than 500 millimetres or less than 400 millimetres above ground level when the passenger car is not loaded.
500 mm = 19.68", quite a few stock 3/4 and 1 ton bumpers are higher than that. Logical rule, stock trucks being illegal. Have a feeling that ruling wouldnt hold up too well in court. I'd be more concerned about a big ass road armor/buckstop bumper than a lifted truck with a stock bumper.

Quote:
No DPF with your 5.9L (they only started that dpf crap on the 07.5 and newer 6.7L)
Hold onto your truck, its a winner!

Edit to original poster, sorry for hijacking thread. Main thing is get that DPF **** off your truck ASAP!
Old 12-21-2010, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugatika View Post
You barely notice any soot coming off the truck after the dpf delete...unless you really get into the foot-feet. What makes more smoke and pollution is when the dpf system goes into regen mode. Never really thought the system was that great for the environment any way you looked at it.
It's just a scam to keep the tree huggers happy and cheat through emmisions test. Ever notice that all new diesels have a vent in the pipe ahead of the tip itself somewhere? This is because emmisions are tested at highway speeds, at the tip. The air flows thru ahead of the tip and removes some of the emmisions before they reach the sensor used for testing. This allows for more actual emmisions being produced than the law allows for, while still passing the standardised test.

Can anybody reccomend a DPF delete kit for an 08 superduty. Something about $1.00/litre plus fuel prices makes it much more appealing.
Old 12-21-2010, 07:47 PM

So before everyone went on the rant about passenger cars did anyone notice that trucks are identified as non "passenger car" right there in the very first legal quote? Making the next few posts a funny P ing match but useless just the same...

Quote:
"passenger car" means a vehicle having a designated seating capacity of 10 or less, but does not include an all-terrain vehicle, a competition vehicle, a low-speed vehicle, a multi-purpose passenger vehicle, an antique reproduction vehicle, a motorcycle, a truck, a trailer, a vehicle imported temporarily for special purposes or a three-wheeled vehicle; "
Old 12-21-2010, 08:05 PM

Default Thanks angler1

angler1 Thanks.
Not sure that that system will work for me. I BETA tested Bullydog's PMT chip for them and am not willing to give it up. But good info. I have bought my last few trucks from them but never mentioned any performance products.
Thanks.
Old 12-22-2010, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishootbambi View Post
im not belittling anyone. simply stating facts....some of which were proven in the very next post. i suppose i should have highlighted the lift part of the statement as thats specifically what i was referring to. as for emissions crap....i know of no law stating you cant alter your exhaust to suit, so long as the noise level is acceptable. if you can show some legislation on it here in alberta, im open to learning. altering vehicle performance with a chip is also quite legal as far as i know. again, show me some legislation, im willing to learn something on that as well.
also keep in mind that the people you know fined in the us are subject to some things that we are not...particularly in california.
The last time I checked, Alberta was under the rein of Environment Canada just the same as the rest of the country. As for the US, the same rules apply there as here, a truck can only emit a maximum ghp/hr (grams per horsepower/hour) of PM (Particulate matter), thats it, end of story. If a truck is altered and is emitting more, the operator can be fined. That came into legislation January 1, 2007. January 1st of 2010, the EPA (and EC) started targeting NOx (oxides of nitrogen) coming from the tailpipe. Same thing, a truck can only emit a certain ghp/hr, thats it. I know the emission laws like the back of my hand, I work for a little diesel place, you may have heard of them, starts with a C, ends with a mins. Part of my responsibility is to enlighten people as to what the laws are. Do I agree with all of them, absolutely not. Are we stuck with them, you betcha.

Here's a glimpse into the future....in 2014, the EPA, and presumably EC, will start targeting CO2 emissions in diesel vehicles. That's right, all diesel powered vehicles will only be able to produce a set amount of CO2. I guess the good news is that the easiest way to produce less Co2 is to burn less fuel, so look for a fuel economy improvement by then.
Old 12-22-2010, 10:10 AM
Banned

and one of the best ways to improve fuel economy is to get rid of the dpf. instant 5mpg or more. Just doing my part for mother Earth...You're welcome.
Old 12-22-2010, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 220swifty View Post
It's just a scam to keep the tree huggers happy and cheat through emmisions test. Ever notice that all new diesels have a vent in the pipe ahead of the tip itself somewhere? This is because emmisions are tested at highway speeds, at the tip. The air flows thru ahead of the tip and removes some of the emmisions before they reach the sensor used for testing. This allows for more actual emmisions being produced than the law allows for, while still passing the standardised test.

Can anybody reccomend a DPF delete kit for an 08 superduty. Something about $1.00/litre plus fuel prices makes it much more appealing.
Hey Swifty,

I heard that these are the best of the best, even some Ford techs recommend them. But I am not sure about good shop that can supply/install Spartan DPF delete kit.

http://www.spartandieseltech.com/

I myself am debating if I should go for it. However in my case, the company I work for pays for my fuel (normal day to day use) so I am not sure if I should void the warranty or not. I do hear that trucks run a lot better with lot less shop time if you get rid of this junk, so in my case this would be reason #1 for doing it but fuel savings are always nice too.

If you get yours done please report the results.

Leon
Old 12-22-2010, 02:04 PM

5 to 7 mpg gain by doing a DPF delete on a pickup? I call BS. If you're lucky you'll get 1-2 mpg improvement which means you'll have to through a pi$$pot of diesel to get your 1400 bucks back. Talk to just about any reputable long time diesel shop, they feed you the straight goods on the new diesels.
Old 12-22-2010, 02:49 PM

I got AFE delete pipe and edge racing tuner on 08 6.4 I went from 500-600km per tank to 800-900km, thats on highway, in town same millage as with dpf in. I run on level 3 which is approx 90hp and 200 ft/lbs tourqe
Old 12-22-2010, 06:22 PM

And my stone stock 09 Duramax went from 12-13 mpg brand new to 24-25 mpg empty highway in 10 months and 55,000km of drivin', cost me eff all in upgrades. I don't need much more than 365hp and 660 ft/lbs to haul a 7000lb trailer

I been runnin' diesel pickups, new and used since 1984, all 3 manufacturers, each truck lasting up to 850,000km usually about 1/2million and played with them some to get better power and mileage. I know one thing for sure, it was usually not worth the investment and I'd never buy a used diesel pickup that been chipped....ever.
Old 12-22-2010, 06:53 PM

Im not sure where this thread has gone off but I do own a 2010 Ram HD with 6.7 and have looked at getting the DPF delete kit.

I live in Grande Prairie and have called all the dealers within a two hour drive of here. Most of them will install the kits for you, and do agree that there is moderate mileage gains outweighing the initial cost over time.

The one thing the one dealer right here in GP told me that really hit home is in regards to the warranty. Most of your warranty will still be intact but anything engine related will be questionable. When it comes to doing warranty work on a Cummins that involves repairs costing thousands of dollars the decision to cover those costs involved sometimes goes above the dealer level and into the hands of the Dodge/Chrysler corporation. There are people who work for Dodge thats sole purpose is to investigate and verify insurance claims. When they see a cummins with a 5000 injector/head gasket repair claim and see an aftermarket chip or anything that is not factory installed the warranty can ve null and void thus placing the bill in your lap. Having said this I would be very leary to accept any verbal commitment to honor warrany even with the DPF as there is the potential for the final say to go out of the dealers hands.

I elected to bite the bullet and pay for that extra bit of diesel as piece of mind knowing my warranty is still intact for 160K.
Old 12-22-2010, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiceboy View Post
no your truck would only have a cat no dpf. Keep your cummins smoking good buddy!
Thanks!!

Old 12-22-2010, 08:39 PM
Banned

Default my experience

I put about 240,000kms on my 2008 superduty 6.4 diesel...stock. over that time I averaged about 12mpg with a combination of hwy and oilfield work. On the hwy the best I ever got was 18mpg (but more usually around 16mpg). (I hand calculated mileage and found it to be comparable to what the computer was saying). After the warranty was up I put a dpf delete kit on at 240,000km or so. My mileage averaged around 16 where before I was getting 12. On the hwy I could get up around 22 or 23 mpg....sometimes 24 if the wind was in my favour and keeping it under 110km/h. So to me that is an honest 4mpg gain for about $1400. (and a little extra power which I didn't really care about...I was more interested in the fuel savings).
Old 12-22-2010, 09:24 PM

Maybe I'm runnin' the wrong trucks then, haven't had a Ford since the old 7.3 but I never could get a significant enough fuel saving to justify the thousands spent. Plenty of power though until you tore up a clutch or transmission jerkin' 10,000 lbs over a mountain.