Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-21-2010, 05:29 PM

Default Schwarma Anyone?

While my wife and I were Christmas shopping at Cross Iron Mills, we hit the food court for much needed fuel to keep going. We looked at the usual food court offerings but nothing stood out. Then we noticed the Lebanese place (La Medina?) and thought we'd try it. Man, for a fast food spot, they make a mean Chicken Schwarma! I'd recommend Combo #1. If they ask you if you want this sauce or that sauce, just say yes to everything. Make sure you get extra napkins as these are not the easiest monsters to eat.

Also, if you want absolutely amazing Schwarma, then make the trip over to Jimmy's A&A Deli in NW Calgary. You will not be disappointed.

Anyone else got any good garlicky recommendations for this type of fare? If you consider yourself a meat and potatos type of person, don't overlook these two spots. They put Arbys, McD's, and Wendys to shame!
Old 12-21-2010, 05:42 PM

Default good eats

MMMMM schwarma....good stuff!!!
Old 12-21-2010, 05:47 PM

I do homemade wraps.

Grilled chicken breast (boneless skinless)
Red onion - chopped
Lettuce
Crumbled feta

All wrapped in a greek pita and TONNES of taziki sauce.
Bake some fries, lightly season. Then dip in taziki
Old 12-21-2010, 05:57 PM

I have had some amazing Shwarmas in Ottawa...at 3AM they taste great!

Something about Ottawa that seems to just cry Shwarma at night!
Old 12-21-2010, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rackmastr View Post
I have had some amazing Shwarmas in Ottawa...at 3AM they taste great!

Something about Ottawa that seems to just cry Shwarma at night!
Ahhhhh the ol 3am raging McNarfies!! I really enjoy Vancouver for that as well!! I find Edmonton kind of weak for the post bar munchie action.
Old 12-21-2010, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidey View Post
Also, if you want absolutely amazing Schwarma, then make the trip over to Jimmy's A&A Deli in NW Calgary. You will not be disappointed.
Used to live half a block from that place. Jimmy is INSANE, but makes a mean schwarma!!
Old 12-21-2010, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidey View Post
While my wife and I were Christmas shopping at Cross Iron Mills, we hit the food court for much needed fuel to keep going. We looked at the usual food court offerings but nothing stood out. Then we noticed the Lebanese place (La Medina?) and thought we'd try it. Man, for a fast food spot, they make a mean Chicken Schwarma! I'd recommend Combo #1. If they ask you if you want this sauce or that sauce, just say yes to everything. Make sure you get extra napkins as these are not the easiest monsters to eat.

Anyone else got any good garlicky recommendations for this type of fare? If you consider yourself a meat and potatos type of person, don't overlook these two spots. They put Arbys, McD's, and Wendys to shame!
wasn't it great I love La Madina , wonder why Arby's and A&W still exist in food courts.
Old 12-21-2010, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertadiver View Post
Used to live half a block from that place. Jimmy is INSANE, but makes a mean schwarma!!
Yeah, he's kind of like a friendlier, more sarcastic version of the Soup Nazi. If you prepare yourself for being insulted prior to getting your food, then all is well....
Old 12-21-2010, 09:23 PM

Falafel king a few doors up from Flames central on 8th ave has excellent schwarma, really busy at lunch time though, they are a nice break from the regular fast food, all one can usually do to eat the whole thing and really messy too. But they don't leave you feeling like crap after....
Old 12-21-2010, 09:38 PM

Um..oh..what in the tarnation is Shwarmas?

thegungirl.ca @gmail.com
Old 12-21-2010, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by honda450 View Post
Um..oh..what in the tarnation is Shwarmas?
In Canada, the cuisine is typically available in any population centre that accommodates a sizeable Arabic demographic. The local version consists of a generous portion of shaved beef or chicken and vegetables wrapped in pita with garlic or sesame sauce. Garlic potatoes or rice are side dishes, it is common for shawarma to be served wrapped alone — fast-food style.
In some regions of Canada, the term "shawarma" is interchangeable with donairs. In the Montreal region, chicken "shawarma" in often confused with chicken kebabs, known as "Shish taouk".
Old 12-21-2010, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishingMOM View Post
In Canada, the cuisine is typically available in any population centre that accommodates a sizeable Arabic demographic. The local version consists of a generous portion of shaved beef or chicken and vegetables wrapped in pita with garlic or sesame sauce. Garlic potatoes or rice are side dishes, it is common for shawarma to be served wrapped alone — fast-food style.
In some regions of Canada, the term "shawarma" is interchangeable with donairs. In the Montreal region, chicken "shawarma" in often confused with chicken kebabs, known as "Shish taouk".
Thanks FishingMOM gonna have to try one. Now I am hungry.

thegungirl.ca @gmail.com