Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 06-22-2014, 09:15 AM

Default Fly Fishing in Akumal

I'm going on family vacation next week to Akumal next week and bring my salt water gear. Id like to try some DIY fly fishing. I don't mind finding a guide but can't afford to fork out 500 bucks for a day of fly fishing for a guide my son will probably want to come too. Any advice would be apritiated.
Old 06-22-2014, 11:10 AM

I might bite the bullet and do the Pesca Maya thing.
Old 06-22-2014, 12:19 PM

Default Lots of options

Depending where you stay there are optoons. If you are right on the beach fishing will be out but off the beach and both directions there are options. Lots of the locals that will take you out right on the beach too. Take some snorkel gear as it is awesome for fish and the sea turtle capitol. Love it there.
Old 06-22-2014, 02:48 PM

please update us after your trip. I love that place, it's my go-to spot if i'm anywhere near Playa del Carmen, but no one I vacation with would be into fishing with me. As you exit the building they make you watch the turtle video in (at the turtle sanctuary, I'm assuming everyone visits), to your right will be an awesome bar with THE best fish tacos, they are a must.
Old 06-22-2014, 02:54 PM

I was there four years ago. But only fished infront of the resort. Got up at 5 to avoid any swimmers caught some little fish most of the time it was too windy. I think I'll pay the 570 us
Old 06-22-2014, 04:38 PM
Banned

I did a day trip with Boca Paila a couple years ago, loved it. Only about a 45 minute drive from Akumal.

http://bocapaila.com/
Old 06-22-2014, 05:43 PM

Default Locogringo forum

Head over to the Locogringo forums if you havent yet. Lots of regulars and sone locals hang out there. One of them can probably answer anything you need to know about the area.
Old 06-22-2014, 06:25 PM

I was there a couple months ago and had a good experience. Rented a jeep in Tulum (they'll pickup/drop off at your resort and pretty cheap). Then made the drive down to Punta Allen, which was half the fun, and met guide Captain Victor Barrera. He was the cheapest I found and him and his helper had me on bones, tarpon and even a nice school of permit. Only caught bones though but since it was my first saltwater experience I was happy. Had a shot at three beauty migratory tarpon which I still dream of.