Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-14-2018, 10:24 PM

Default coyote attacks in city

i am no coyote expert but it seems to me that the coyotes i have seen on my daily walks in the dog park are becoming more and more brazen. to my way of thinking there is nothing "natural" about that. in the countryside near brothers farm near wizard lake no self respecting coyote would be seen skulking around a farmhouse in the middle of the day. and if it were it would be running as though Thor himself was tossing thunderbolts his way the moment it saw a human. now THAT'S natural. a coyote with little to no fear of people is most definitely not. now i know we can't set up a call site in the middle of Mackenzie ravine, but surely something could be done to put the fear of people back into these critters. hounds and paintball guns . I guess it's just irksome . i have a 7 month old pointer and can't leave her off leash unless i go to the farm. when her recall is rock solid i have no problem leaving her run. but last weekend they tore to pieces a 110lb Bernese mountain dog. when does the city do something? when they kill an 80 lb girl walking home from school? am i off base here?
Old 02-15-2018, 08:49 AM

I think it's a direct result of the "the animals were here first and we've invaded their home" crowd! In most urban areas, people, when encountering coyotes, are counselled to 'not make direct eye contact, slowly back away, and give them their space.' All this does over time is teach the coyote that he's alpha dog - even over humans, and encourages him to press his advantage. End result is brazenly killing pets - or in our town, biting kids.
IMO, when you see an urban coyote acting like he owns the block, immediately challenge him - throw rocks, yell and run straight at him until he skeedaddles. Your neighbourhood pets will thank you, and in the big picture, so will the coyote.
Old 02-15-2018, 09:09 AM

My place backs right onto a ravine leading to the river valley. Every day I see multiple yotes, right up to my back fence, along the alleyway, and even to the front street. Not much fear in ‘em.

Oh, and the other somewhat concerning matter is in previous years, most that I saw were always a bit mangey, some more than others. This year, all of them I’ve seen have been big healthy looking critters for being in the City. Worries me about when some small kid is going to get mauled. There’s an elementary school not even two blocks from my place, so not uncommon for a young kid to be walking around by themself after school.

Last edited by jstubbs; 02-15-2018 at 09:15 AM.
Old 02-15-2018, 10:28 AM

Thumper is correct in his advice. Carry a baseball bat when you walk your dog, any coyote that shows go after him yelling like a wild man, they will get the message. However your animal lover neighbours may report you for a possible bed at Alberta hospital.
Old 02-15-2018, 11:16 AM

Funny how I've been within a couple of feet of coyotes ,and never felt threatened ,is this considered foolhardy?They don't come off to me as aggressive, maybe more like curious, I've read articles that say they attack bikers on trails and such,and also that they may be mating with wolves. Interesting for sure,I occasionally go and snare a few rabbits, and though coyotes get a few the, the Magpies are by far the worst culprit, I wouldn't want to be disabled somehow in the bush,Magpies could possibly be your worst problem other than hypothermia.
If people concentrated on the really important things in life,there would be a shortage of fishing poles.Doug larson. Theres a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. Steven Wright.
Old 02-15-2018, 04:19 PM

I've ran into a couple walking my dog this past summer. They were fairly brave even considering the fact that I chased them and yelled. Gotta keep both eyes peeled when walking small dogs off leash. They actually chased a ladies larger dog, I thought at first it was a group of dogs playing
Old 02-15-2018, 04:20 PM

[QUOTE=Fish along;3732836]Funny how I've been within a couple of feet of coyotes ,and never felt threatened. They don't come off to me as aggressive, maybe more like curious

^ This ^
My experience as well.
Old 02-15-2018, 07:10 PM

Default yote

Quote:
Originally Posted by loopy50 View Post
i am no coyote expert but it seems to me that the coyotes i have seen on my daily walks in the dog park are becoming more and more brazen. to my way of thinking there is nothing "natural" about that. in the countryside near brothers farm near wizard lake no self respecting coyote would be seen skulking around a farmhouse in the middle of the day. and if it were it would be running as though Thor himself was tossing thunderbolts his way the moment it saw a human. now THAT'S natural. a coyote with little to no fear of people is most definitely not. now i know we can't set up a call site in the middle of Mackenzie ravine, but surely something could be done to put the fear of people back into these critters. hounds and paintball guns . I guess it's just irksome . i have a 7 month old pointer and can't leave her off leash unless i go to the farm. when her recall is rock solid i have no problem leaving her run. but last weekend they tore to pieces a 110lb Bernese mountain dog. when does the city do something? when they kill an 80 lb girl walking home from school? am i off base here?
Not at all. The coyote is unique among animals in north america, A survivor adjusting well to humans. Any yote hunter will tell you, if hunted hard enough the survivors will not snare, trap, or come to the calls.the only answer is to reduce the population,thats the best you can hope to do,they catch on fast. We need to designate some good trappers in the problem areas, carefully mark an area let the public know, and do what has to be done before someone is killed or seriously injured.
Old 02-15-2018, 09:55 PM

Default Don't be fooled!!

Just last week we woke to what sounded like a baby crying outside only to see two coyotes killing a rabbit across the street in a park area from our house and we live in the city with lots of houses and street lights!! Don't be fooled, they are a wild predator and are wired to survive!
Old 02-15-2018, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyoteman View Post
Not at all. The coyote is unique among animals in north america, A survivor adjusting well to humans. Any yote hunter will tell you, if hunted hard enough the survivors will not snare, trap, or come to the calls.the only answer is to reduce the population,thats the best you can hope to do,they catch on fast. We need to designate some good trappers in the problem areas, carefully mark an area let the public know, and do what has to be done before someone is killed or seriously injured.
I don't believe your analysis, that they will become killer's of humans ,maybe in extreme conditions, they don't hunt in packs like wolves, and even wolves have rarely attacked humans.id be much more worried about human attacks than coyotes. I believe that coyotes should be culled, but not because they are a danger to human life.of course they will attack dogs nothing you will ever do will change this behavior, it's all about territory and survival for the animal. Please don't try to make people believe that shooting coyotes is saving human lives I say BS.
If people concentrated on the really important things in life,there would be a shortage of fishing poles.Doug larson. Theres a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. Steven Wright.
Old 02-15-2018, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish along View Post
I don't believe your analysis, that they will become killer's of humans ,maybe in extreme conditions, they don't hunt in packs like wolves, and even wolves have rarely attacked humans.id be much more worried about human attacks than coyotes. I believe that coyotes should be culled, but not because they are a danger to human life.of course they will attack dogs nothing you will ever do will change this behavior, it's all about territory and survival for the animal. Please don't try to make people believe that shooting coyotes is saving human lives I say BS.
It's been a few, but I do recall an incident in a park in Grande prairie where a toddler was attacked by a coyote, people saved the child by throwing rocks and yelling at it until it finally decided to look for an easier meal.
Old 02-15-2018, 11:07 PM

I want to get a cattle prod so I can zap a few if ever wandering too close, make them run next time they see me coming haha. It's my walking stick if asked.
Might keep the two legged ones at bay also when hiking for safety reasons.
Coyotes are mating now so alittle more aggressive. Read that culling does not work, instead it causes the population to increase dramatically becuz more pups are produced becuz of cull and then there is an explosion of more pups. Don't ask me how the coyotes figure that out.
Old 02-16-2018, 01:07 AM

The coyote issues within our urban areas are here to stay and will only become more serious and numerous with time.We have an animal that is near the top of the food chain in our cities.Its only enemies may be the odd cougar and the vehicles that they encounter on roads.On average they produce4 to 7 pups and in a urban setting I would say that at least half will survive from the litter.One needs only to look at the Suffield elk herd as to what can happen when an animal has no predators to control numbers.Come spring the pups will be will protected by mom and dad so who gets the use of our parks,coyotes or people?We will have to protect both of them in our current times and hope no humans get hurt.
Old 02-16-2018, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish along View Post
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-s...reton-1.779304

Thomas Sowell
Old 02-16-2018, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
And coyotes most certainly pack up. I once watched a pack of approx. ten, herd a herd of antelope into a huge snow drift. They ran them until they were to tired to move in the heavy drift. They killed two before they let the rest go.

Thomas Sowell
Old 02-16-2018, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little red riding hood View Post
It's been a few, but I do recall an incident in a park in Grande prairie where a toddler was attacked by a coyote, people saved the child by throwing rocks and yelling at it until it finally decided to look for an easier meal.
This is surely something I never heard of before, thanks for the information.i guess I'll have to look at more documentaries or whatever.
Old 02-16-2018, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Wow this is an eye opener. And it would seem that places like parks and places where hunting is prohibited would probably be the most dangerous places.
Old 02-16-2018, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyote_man View Post
The coyote issues within our urban areas are here to stay and will only become more serious and numerous with time.We have an animal that is near the top of the food chain in our cities.Its only enemies may be the odd cougar and the vehicles that they encounter on roads.On average they produce4 to 7 pups and in a urban setting I would say that at least half will survive from the litter.One needs only to look at the Suffield elk herd as to what can happen when an animal has no predators to control numbers.Come spring the pups will be will protected by mom and dad so who gets the use of our parks,coyotes or people?We will have to protect both of them in our current times and hope no humans get hurt.
I apologise for my previous statement, I guess I didn't know how dangerous they could be.
Old 02-16-2018, 04:46 PM

Default coyoty

Just for the record, no one shoots coyotys to save human live. They are
thousands trapped, snared, shot, in Alberta every year as a renewable resourse ,a source of income, i think at present a good fur is around $100. the trappers are registered and has a licence for this activeity. A good trapper could reduce the coyotys in the problem area,why would anyone have a problem with this, its only a matter of time before some child gets hurt or worse. If its about save the yotes, not to worry they can take care of themselves.
late years they have crossed the sea ice to nfld,and will slaughter the baby caribou by the thousands.
Old 02-16-2018, 05:26 PM

There have been 3 or 4 coyote attacks/prowlings on children in Calgary since I moved here in 1994. IIRC Edworthy Park, Shouldice Park, and Nose Hill Park. Each one made the news and print media at the time; good luck finding the stories now. It's like the records were cleansed. This does not include coyote attacks on dogs throughout the city; Bylaw likes to keep that quiet these days.
I once interceded to prevent a coyote from drawing 2 large dogs away from their owner in Beaver Dam Flats. I kept the coyote at bay while she leashed the dogs and left the area. That coyote tried everything to get around me to get to the dogs, it had no fear of humans.

As for the coyote issue in Eastern Canada- biologists have named them the Coywolf, as they have bred with the Gray wolves. They are larger, and supposedly smarter and more aggressive than our coyotes.

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 02-16-2018, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
Thumper is correct in his advice. Carry a baseball bat when you walk your dog, any coyote that shows go after him yelling like a wild man, they will get the message. However your animal lover neighbours may report you for a possible bed at Alberta hospital.
A 3 iron swings faster.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 02-16-2018, 07:12 PM

Quote:
And coyotes most certainly pack up. I once watched a pack of approx. ten, herd a herd of antelope into a huge snow drift. They ran them until they were to tired to move in the heavy drift. They killed two before they let the rest go.
If I saw something like this happening I would try, if possible, to help the antelope out of the situation. That would be a natural response from me, natural selection be damned. I'm not implying that you didn't have similar thoughts or actions, Piker, but I'm just hardwired that way.
Old 02-16-2018, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270man View Post
If I saw something like this happening I would try, if possible, to help the antelope out of the situation. That would be a natural response from me, natural selection be damned. I'm not implying that you didn't have similar thoughts or actions, Piker, but I'm just hardwired that way.
I was pulled over on the side of the Trans canada outside of Irvine Ab. They were about a half a mile away, but with the amount of snow and the way I was dressed, they may as well have been on the moon.

Thomas Sowell
Old 02-16-2018, 08:06 PM
Banned

Coyotes killed a 110 lb Bernese Mountain Dog in Edmonton the other day.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/edmont...vine-1.3804331
Old 02-16-2018, 08:26 PM

Quote:
I was pulled over on the side of the Trans canada outside of Irvine Ab. They were about a half a mile away, but with the amount of snow and the way I was dressed, they may as well have been on the moon.
That would be a tough scene to see and not be able to do anything about.
Nature is beautiful but can be brutal. There is no difference between that incident and a pack of African wild dogs running down an antelope or similar
prey.
Old 02-16-2018, 10:12 PM

I see anywhere from 1 to 5 coyotes (yes 5!) together in my neighborhood quite regularly. They're fairly smart and tough to corner. Believe me, I've tried.
I love wildlife in the city as much as anyone, but when it comes to coyotes in the city I believe that the only good one is a dead one.
The night that I was chasing the pack of 5 I called the city complaint line to inform them. They said they were no longer doing anything about coyotes in the city because they weren't really considered a threat to any people. I laughed and then hung up.
After an hour or so I started thinking and called back. I told them that there was a chihuahua on the loose and it seemed mean. The girl on the line said someone would contact me shortly. Sure enough, within 5 minutes someone called me asking for it's location as they were dispatching personnel. I said "too late, the 5 coyotes I called in about earlier ate it." After some silence the guy said, "well sir, we don't do anything about coyotes, but thanks for the call".
What a messed up group of people in charge.
Old 02-16-2018, 10:20 PM

Just a couple of minutes Google search shows lots of attacks over the years.

Northwest Calgary resident warns of wildlife danger after family dog killed in coyote attack

Reports of coyote activity surge in Calgary

'He was screaming, the coyote wasn't scared': Man helps fight off attack as city issues warning, closes trails

Beloved Pomeranian snatched by opportunistic coyote on Nose Hill Park

Calgary man shaken after coyotes attacked and killed small dog on leash

Coyote attack kills one dog and injures another

My blog - casting on the waters

fishing regulations and facts on fish handling
Fishing Regulations
Old 02-17-2018, 08:23 AM

Sundance, I like your suggestion of using 3 iron instead of baseball bat. At least neighbours will not phone guys with special jackets, unless their is 2 feet of snow on the ground.
Old 02-17-2018, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBintheNorth View Post
I see anywhere from 1 to 5 coyotes (yes 5!) together in my neighborhood quite regularly. They're fairly smart and tough to corner. Believe me, I've tried.
I love wildlife in the city as much as anyone, but when it comes to coyotes in the city I believe that the only good one is a dead one.
The night that I was chasing the pack of 5 I called the city complaint line to inform them. They said they were no longer doing anything about coyotes in the city because they weren't really considered a threat to any people. I laughed and then hung up.
After an hour or so I started thinking and called back. I told them that there was a chihuahua on the loose and it seemed mean. The girl on the line said someone would contact me shortly. Sure enough, within 5 minutes someone called me asking for it's location as they were dispatching personnel. I said "too late, the 5 coyotes I called in about earlier ate it." After some silence the guy said, "well sir, we don't do anything about coyotes, but thanks for the call".
What a messed up group of people in charge.
that's pretty pathetic, then they can't say much when we take matters into our own hands and deal with it ourselves, gotta do what you gotta do right!!! No help from city so the only other option is too ..... U know.....
Old 02-17-2018, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
Coyotes killed a 110 lb Bernese Mountain Dog in Edmonton the other day.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/edmont...vine-1.3804331
City life even makes animals soft. Aunt used a bernese to watch over her sheep for years. It would put the run on bears, yotes and wolves. Its what they were bred for..