Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-16-2018, 09:03 AM

Just do not jump from frying pan into the fire. You need the job to pay your mortgage & buy food. Hang in their but start sending resumes, easier to get job from a job. You do not want a 6 month job on your resume and have to explain you quit when going got rough. See it through until you get new lower stress job offer.
Old 02-16-2018, 09:15 AM

Thanks for the advice.

Gonna start looking at my options of leaving the away work and staying home i think. I got 2 trades that i can fall back on and work 8 hrs a day and be more relaxed with the family.
Old 02-16-2018, 09:28 AM
Banned

Almost all companies are more that happy to suck every bit of energy out of you that they can if you let them. I just left a company that actually yelled and swore at you in front of people and demeaned you every chance possible. The stress was managable, I thought, and I was in a senior management capacity. Unemployment has less stress for now. My first night back i would not sleep at all, everytime the yeller walked into the office i had to leave and would not come back all day. You may think your handling the stress but believe me it effects you anyway. One day something will happen, you will get dizzie, your heart will race and you will start to sweat. Get out now and find a way to manage, your health is being effected.
Old 02-16-2018, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckCuller View Post
Before transitioning jobs for lesser pay learn to live on less as some people when they are making more live a little higher on the hog so to speak. So evaluate how to cut costs of your lifestyle before changing jobs.
I’m not saying you spend money foolishly but maybe it’s time to talk to your mobile phone provider or other service providers and demand a better deal, you know the bills that add up that you don’t think about because you have the money.
Change is often good to get out of a slump.
Awesome advice
Old 02-16-2018, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
Just do not jump from frying pan into the fire. You need the job to pay your mortgage & buy food. Hang in their but start sending resumes, easier to get job from a job. You do not want a 6 month job on your resume and have to explain you quit when going got rough. See it through until you get new lower stress job offer.
This is great advice for how to make the move!

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
Old 02-16-2018, 06:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
I left several high paying jobs over the years because I was not happy with the way they had developed .
I would much rather spend the time with family than making big money because you cannot get back the hours away from your family.
Cat
Wise words, few people on their death beds look back and say "you know what? I wish I would have worked more!"
The most valuable thing we have in this life is time.
Old 02-16-2018, 08:36 PM

There are people who can handle stressful job and there are those that can't, just the way we are wired. If it is starting to bother you, don't hesitate. Start making a hard plan today on how to get out and change your situation. Waiting and hum and hawing is just a waste of you and your families lives.
Old 02-16-2018, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortaction View Post
There are people who can handle stressful job and there are those that can't, just the way we are wired. If it is starting to bother you, don't hesitate. Start making a hard plan today on how to get out and change your situation. Waiting and hum and hawing is just a waste of you and your families lives.
X2
Lots of guys put it off and save for it then that time never seems to come since us as humans are creatures of habit and tent to resist changing from what is known.
Old 02-17-2018, 08:14 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenSights View Post
Need some advice,

I got a pretty stressful job. Was brought into a new plant our company bought to help get this new place aligned like other facilities.

Was a great move and was promoted. Old job was easy as i knew it in and out.

New place is hectic and will be for quite a few years id guess till all the people and processes turn around. Noticing my self not sleeping, feeling wound up and not happy sometimes.

Im just about 40 and have worked away from home for the last 20 years.
I got 2 young boys and am starting to think about my future and if the job/money is really worth it in the long run. Wife would like to go back to work and would like me home.

It would be a huge change if i left but i think id live longer....i have been good with my money and could find something in central AB to survive.

Anyone else have to make this decision before? And if so whats your advice?

Sometimes you just gotta take your vacation days all at once, break away, sit and ponder with your wife what's the plan, money and stress is not the answer to your indicated problem...just take the time to step back and you will find what works but going into the rat race neck deep everyday will break you mently, physically and possible pour over to your family life.
Seen the outcome of both sides.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 02-17-2018, 10:43 AM

I wonder how much of what you are feeling is truly the new job.

Sounds a bit like a normal mid-life re-evaluation of goals and achievements.

Starting over is certainly not going to reduce your stress short term.

Good luck whatever you decide.

Been there done that. Regret my decision to step back from the fire
Old 02-17-2018, 11:28 AM

I too work in a stressful environment. We have one of the highest suicide, alcohol and substance abuse in North America. With that aside, I find alot of stress is partially personality and the rest is how you live your life. I find what works best for me is:
-Healthy diet
-workout regularly (everyday if possible)
-try your best to remind yourself daily why your there
-I constantly think back to my really crappy mcjobs as a reminder as how good I have it now
-family life is important! It's the small things that matter, greeting your loved ones at the door when you come home, tucking the kids into bed, sitting around the dinner table and talking about your days. These things are what make up our lives, vacations, hunting, fishing trips are nice but let's face it. Those things might take up a couple weeks a year and are not our everyday lives
-If you have a hobby, get good at it or take pride in it.
-Maybe teach a child or a friend your passions.
-clean your room. This can be literal or a metaphor. Keep your environment neat and tidy, take pride in your yard work, tidy up the house, organize the garage, clean the car, ect. Believe it or not but keeping your environment neat and tidy promotes a positive attitude. This then expands to others through your and grows outward.
-be apart of your community. Find time to donate your time to others. I like to tinker so I build stuff and sell it for charity. Or I take new hunters out and help them become educated and show them a good time. Bringing a smile to someone else for no good reason really goes along way with your mental health.
-lastly be vocal. Take your time to talk to people you don't know. When your at the till make small talk to the people in line, put away your phone and stay off social media when that time could be spent conversing with others in person. This one is my weakness but I'm getting better at it.

Keep your head up partner. The fact that you already recognize there is a problem is the hardest hurdle. Some people go there whole lives thinking they live around alot of jerks before they realize that maybe there attitude/stress is manifesting the jerks around them.
Old 02-17-2018, 11:37 AM

This is an exceptional post ^^^^^^

All of us can benefit from the advice given by Ramonmark.
Old 02-17-2018, 11:39 AM

Without going all Dr. Phil, I've been in some higher profile/stressful jobs and have had plenty of personal/professional development training.

One thing that's incredibly important to remember is the difference between your role, and your identity.

For example your roles :

Job
Father
Husband

Your identity : who you are and how you view your self.

When the "roles", start to creep into your identity, stressful job, stressful marriage etc that is when the imbalance in life begins.

It sounds as though you're in a financial position that would allow you to make a change, that's a much better position than many find themselves in. As others have mentioned you likely already know in your gut what you should do, best of luck with whatever you choose pal.
Old 02-17-2018, 11:41 AM

Happiness is priceless!

(But buy the rifles you want now, I'm on a strict buy one sell one system in my current position 8-)

Good luck with what ever you decide!
Old 02-17-2018, 12:17 PM

lots of good advice in this thread. money is not everything but make sure you have enough to cover all your expense and live comfortably. do a budget and have a plan b and a plan c . if you are the main source of income for the family there are lot of responsibility .
Old 02-17-2018, 12:23 PM

There is nothing I regret more than being gone from 6 monday morning to 10 friday night for 8 years while my kids were tiny. Trouble was I had to do it to make a living. We do what we have to, if I had a chance to be home more and make close to the same I would have jumped on it. I also ran my Agency at the same time but it was very slow so I had to do the sales job. The good part was during long weekends and all summer they could go with me, so for 2 months a year they were in hotel swimming pools, and saw a lot of the country.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 02-17-2018, 08:01 PM

I'm kinda actually just done dealing with people tell you the truth.

Gonna fall back into my Machinist/Millwright trades I think. Maybe even try and get my Welding ticket.

The reason why I say that is because when I do come home stressed I find working in my shop soothes my sole. I love working metal because it doesn't talk back to me.....
Old 02-17-2018, 08:19 PM

Weld weld weld!

Also there’s just two things of value in the world.

Time

And

People

And take care of your body.... try to make your body sweat from physical exertion every day.
It really really helps....
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 02-18-2018, 07:45 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Thumbs up

Quote:

Gonna fall back into my Machinist/Millwright trades I think. Maybe even try and get my Welding ticket.

The reason why I say that is because when I do come home stressed I find working in my shop soothes my sole. I love working metal because it doesn't talk back to me.....
Good luck....people make me tired too...just like fresh air, outdoors....peaceful....then the phone rings or a knock on the office door

Oh yeah and like Bessie said...a good ol heart pumping, sweat dripping giv'er work out seems to clear the cob webs real quick!
Off I go

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 02-18-2018, 07:51 AM

I work too much... Can't wait to load my cell phone in the trap machine and blast it, soon... Usually takes 2-3 days of monkeying around in the shop to unwind after a hitch away from home.
Old 02-18-2018, 02:55 PM

A change of job, after assessing whether or not you see acceptable change coming, is best for your health.
Poor health affects so much more in your life than just you!!
Having the support of your partner is huge!!
After years of working on an acute psychiatric unit as a nurse, and being punched, scratched, kicked, chased, pool balls thrown at me, being put in a headlock and having my head driven into the floor, bitten, my and my family members lives threatened, kneed and kicked in the nuts, things become a little stressful!
The finishing touch was being spit in the eye, a couple days of convincing a Dr. that bloodwork NEEDED to be drawn whether the patient liked it or not so I could have some peace of mind to be free of Hepatitis, AIDS, and whatever else a person could carry, a year of bloodwork to follow this up, and a year of worrying that I had something despite the patient's bloodwork showing otherwise, and not too mention the trauma my family had to endure seeing me go through these, and the injuries sustained.
I changed jobs in another very rewarding aspect of Mental Health & Addictions!!
Life is much better with the change!!
"I am fascinated by the wild, rough country sheep are found. I love the long-continued excitement of the stalk. I even enjoy the disappointments and the frustrations, those stalks that go astray when the sheep have moved, and the wind changes." - JOC
Old 02-18-2018, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Hunter Okotoks View Post
You only get to go around once in life. You have two young boys, don't wake up
20 years from now and realize that you missed most of their lives growing up and maturing into men. If you can get a job where you can be home every
night with your wife and be there for whenever the boys need you- go that route and don't ever look back. If there is a roof over your heads, food on the table, love in your heart, and you can pay for basic necessities, the rest is just
"Stuff".

Big money is nice; but at what cost?
Very wise words........

BH

Old 02-18-2018, 05:34 PM

I’ve had a bit of a revelation of yet.

I work in a highly safety sensitive job, where I and my co workers(6 of us) are responsible for running and maintaining 3 separate plants and all the civil infrastructure associated with 480 MegaWatts of generation. We operate maintain, and deal with ensuring contractors and projects are excecuted safely.
For over 22 years we managed without an in house manager, and had a stellar safety and reliability numbers. Then somebody noted that we are the biggest entity in our area of endeavour, and they brought in a manager.(2015) this manager was not from our type of world, had no operating or experience in what we do. He however was a micro managing, autocratic and egotistical anchor around our necks. We start work at 7:30 am, as his tenure increased you were seeing the whole crew rolling onto site at around 7:25 daily. We hadn’t had issues with our collective agreement till he showed up, and personally I filed 2 grievances around money and time off, because of this man, and won both grievances. There were grievences from almost everyone on the crew. There hadn’t been a grievance filed from our work group in anyone’s recollection, before his tenure.
What became increasingly noticeable to myself was the amount of alcohol I was consuming. Our hunting trips usually involved a night cap or two, but last fall it was noted how we were consuming alcohol at a rate we had never in the past. That was my first clue things weren’t good with my stress level.
I started shutting my work phone off after hours, and would only keep it on when I was on call. The other fellows at work knew my personal cell, so we supported each other that way.
Finally in late 2017 the autocratic dictator took an early retirement, and a new manager was brought in. Slowly the rest of the crew started showing up earlier, most of us roll in by 7:10 now. The new manager is a hunter too boot, he also is a true manager, heavy on the positives, and light on the negatives. Phrases like you’ve got this, and thanks for your contribution are abundant. My liquor bill is much smaller now. And I’ve shared my personal cell number with him. We often exchange plesentries about huntin, fishing and family. I’m set to take him and his son bear hunting this spring.
Life is much better when you’re not being told how to do your job by somebody who doesn’t even comprehend what you do. Instead your input is sought, and respected.

There are no absolutes
Old 02-18-2018, 06:10 PM

Default Stress

Quote:

Take this and run with it for peace of mind and family. Nothing worse than taking a stressful job home. Been there done that, spend time with family,no amount of money can replace that. Way more fun doing things that you enjoy, rather than doing things that add years to your life.
Old 02-19-2018, 06:24 PM

Quote:

I think you need to take a year or so to decide if it is the job or specific people you deal with that are getting at your mental health. Lol

Or where the path leads, my path currently goes higher it seems and the money is getti g really good but where the path goes doesnt really seem appealing.
Old 02-19-2018, 06:35 PM

I'm a bit younger (35) but I know what choice I made years ago. I work in the trades, and saw what happened to most guys I worked with. Worked their butts off for big money, but lost their family, and half of their belongings, sometimes repeated several times.
Chose to not chase the money, and work a Monday to Friday job, home every day. Maybe a 40% pay cut from working away. I still make decent money, get to see my family every day. 7 minute commute. Stuck with this large company for less than industry average, but proved myself. I've been off the tools for a couple years, have an office and only 3 people I have to answer to. Not rich, but it's been worth it to save my body, and family, and have stabilty.
Old 03-08-2018, 08:41 PM

Well it all came to a head this week. Finally couldn't take it. Felt like crap.

Work handled it good and gave me a break. Headed to a Dr and I find out I have Depression and was having anxiety attacks......

At home for a couple weeks off. This sucks
Old 03-08-2018, 08:58 PM
Suspended User

Quote:
Well it all came to a head this week. Finally couldn't take it. Felt like crap.

Work handled it good and gave me a break. Headed to a Dr and I find out I have Depression and was having anxiety attacks......

At home for a couple weeks off. This sucks
Take the time off and look. Wish I had,now the options I had are gone. Went from the highest paid building operator in Canada, for a multi billion dollar American healthcare company, to crippled.
Had I left before, the option would be better. Some companies only use us as tools to be disposed of.
Relax and breathe. Get life together and take some aptitude tests to find something else.
Old 03-10-2018, 09:33 AM

Job stress is a combination of work environment, and how you deal.

Some will always be stressed, even at a good job.

A very few will be able to keep cool in a bad environment.

Most of us are in the middle.

Exercise can be a real stress breaker - Doesn't matter what, as long as you're breaking a sweat for at least 30 mins a day.

But a stressful job isn't worth it if you've got other options.