Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-02-2023, 06:34 PM

Default Growing garden peas problem

I’ve been growing peas for 25 years and never had this happen.

Looks like something is pruning the peas back. Reminds me of what deer do on bushes. Just the tips chewed off.

Some weeds don’t have slug chomping that normally due which makes me think it’s not that. Don’t see much for rabbits. Some gray squirrels around.

Maybe birds?

I’m stumped. Planted April 31 and weather has been good. Got back now expecting 4-6 inch healthy peas. Not the case.

Need to go buy more seeds and replant.

Any ideas?
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin

Last edited by roper1; 06-03-2023 at 10:37 AM.
Old 06-02-2023, 06:45 PM

Rabbits,groundhogs ????
Old 06-02-2023, 07:12 PM

Default Sparrows

Little buggers been pruning mine for a couple summers now. Then they got the pods later.

Netting my peas this year. They’ve even attacked the beans on occasion.
Old 06-02-2023, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjeda View Post
Little buggers been pruning mine for a couple summers now. Then they got the pods later.

Same here. Couldn’t figure out why my one bed of peas weren’t growing as well as another about 20’ away. Started watching and saw the birds coming to snack so had to make hoops and covered with netting. Growing well now. Once they reach a certain size they’ll leave them alone. tog
Old 06-02-2023, 07:21 PM

Birds most likely. I have some peas in planter boxes on my fence & they've been pruned back by birds before, being elevated 4' off the ground eliminates a few suspects. A protective mesh ought to keep the critters at bay.

I've got a garden issue to correct & will have to put out a humane trap & visit the humane society once its full. First, I'll check if my neighbors have a cat that they let out, fair warning & all. Stray or a neighbors, it's not allowed to crap in my recently planted veggie garden.
Old 06-02-2023, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hehalta View Post
Rabbits,groundhogs ????
No sign of rabbit and the yard is pretty rabbit proof. Don’t see many around due to bobcat activity.

No sign of ground hogs.

Anyone find squirrels eating peas?
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 06-02-2023, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjeda View Post

That is on the top of my list for sure.
Old 06-02-2023, 11:42 PM

I watch the Sparrows chomping on freshly sprouted peas all the time. Cursed buggers.
They wreak havoc on newly sprouted lettuce also.
I've also watched magpies pull out beans that were planted the day before.

And before anyone states the obvious, my wife has a do-not-touch order on The Sparrows for some reason..
Which is fine, as I'm not a huge fan of peas anyway.
Magpies however, do not get a pass from me.
Old 06-03-2023, 08:50 AM

Chicken wire, where needed, thats what i do.
Old 06-03-2023, 09:29 AM

Default Growing garden peas problem

For the past decade, it's been sparrows that have been inundating the peas. They pick off the tops (apical meristems) so the peas don't grow and as mentioned above, go after the pods even if we get them to grow at all. My wife and I call the sparrows the "Gangstas."

I designed a cover using tent poles and netting to protect them (photos attached). Easy to water through the netting and to lift up in order to weed.

We find that the squirrels go after poppies and chew on the buds. Mr. Stoeger takes care of some of them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9778.jpg (123.8 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9779.jpg (105.3 KB, 25 views)

Last edited by Flyfishchrism46; 06-03-2023 at 09:51 AM.
Old 06-03-2023, 09:37 AM

We've seen sparrows in our garden eating the lettuce and spinach. Netting is the answer.
Old 06-03-2023, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyfishchrism46 View Post
For the past decade, it's been sparrows that have been inundating the peas. They pick off the tops (apical meristems) so the peas don't grow and as mentioned above, go after the pods even if we get them to grow at all. My wife and I call the sparrows the "Gangstas."

I designed a cover using tent poles and netting to protect them (photos attached). Easy to water through the netting and to lift up in order to weed.

We find that the squirrels go after poppies and chew on the buds. Mr. Stoeger takes care of some of them.
I bought some netting to cover it all.

Do I need to replant the peas now? Will these stubby ones grow? So annoying. Never had this problem before.