Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 03-08-2023, 03:22 PM

Default Sako Optilok help!

I just got my new Sako Finnlight 6.5 CM and I'm not happy with how the rings/bases are mounted....hoping someone on here can give me some direction on a fix. This is how the front Optilok is mounted....in contact with the dealer that sent it like this and seeking a resolution.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9479D9D1-6A19-43AA-90D5-D80BD27165C5 (2).jpg (30.6 KB, 262 views)

Last edited by CanuckShooter; 03-08-2023 at 03:31 PM.
Old 03-08-2023, 03:34 PM

No experiences with Optilocks, but can you turn the base around?
Old 03-08-2023, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnguy View Post
No experiences with Optilocks, but can you turn the base around?
Not sure, I did try to slide it forward and there is room in the groove but it taps out where it's at, I suspect it's a tapered groove.
Old 03-08-2023, 05:22 PM

Yeah, that’s definitely no bueno. It’s not tapered. Here is a vid: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=owZVBzrhI0I

You probably want to disassemble it and see what is up. I am sure someone with actual experience will chime in shortly.
Old 03-08-2023, 06:07 PM

Those look like extended length bases. Standard bases will not extend over the ejection port.
Old 03-08-2023, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raised by wolves View Post
Those look like extended length bases. Standard bases will not extend over the ejection port.
It looks to me like he drilled and tapped the receiver. Why ?
Old 03-08-2023, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckShooter View Post
Not sure, I did try to slide it forward and there is room in the groove but it taps out where it's at, I suspect it's a tapered groove.
Sakos have a tapered groove, Tikkas are straight, the bases for the two are different and not interchangeable. Definitely incorrectly installed, maybe try turning it around or switching front and back. A photo showing both bases would be helpful in diagnosing the issue.
Old 03-08-2023, 06:32 PM

I think a photo of the whole set up, showing both bases would help.

Edit: Looks like Lone Wolf said it first while I was typing, haha.
Old 03-08-2023, 06:37 PM

I also agree with raised by wolves (and he knows his Sako better than many, haha) that those look like extended bases. You can see that the front one is not sitting in the grooves in its entirety, which, I believe, wouldn't be the case with the regular bases.

Extended:

Regular:

Last edited by fishnguy; 03-08-2023 at 06:43 PM.
Old 03-08-2023, 06:50 PM

This is what it should look like. This is on my Sako 75 Finnlight.

Old 03-08-2023, 06:59 PM

^ Yep, that one looks right, lol. You can see the difference in the ring placement.
Old 03-08-2023, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairiekid View Post
This is what it should look like. This is on my Sako 75 Finnlight.

Correct.. PM sent
Old 03-08-2023, 07:02 PM

CanuckShooter, take those bases and rings back to the moron that sold them to you. You do not need Extended Bases on an 85 Short action. Get yourself a set of the one-piece Optilocks.

FishnGuy, Cheers!
Old 03-08-2023, 07:37 PM

Quote:
I think a photo of the whole set up, showing both bases would help.

Edit: Looks like Lone Wolf said it first while I was typing, haha.
Yes the front one is the extended base pictured. I'll grab some more pictures tomorrow morning and post them up.
Old 03-08-2023, 09:17 PM

^ Yeah, not a great set up. It could be that they set it up like that because the tube on the scope is too short for a proper eye relief. But it looks like a Leupold, so shouldn’t be a problem. You can see that it is fairly tight on Prairiekid’s rifle, for example - there isn’t much leeway to move the scope in either direction if the need arises. Regardless, a weird set up and they should know better.

I had an issue of a short tube on a long action Sako and ended up putting up a rail.
Old 03-09-2023, 05:45 PM

Quote:
CanuckShooter, take those bases and rings back to the moron that sold them to you. You do not need Extended Bases on an 85 Short action. Get yourself a set of the one-piece Optilocks.

FishnGuy, Cheers!
Do they still make them?
Old 03-09-2023, 05:50 PM

So I loosened off the rings and adjust the scope for my eye relief...and this is where the scope ended up.

I sent these pics to the company I bought the rifle from and I think they will be sending me a different front base.
Old 03-09-2023, 05:56 PM

^ Looks like you would get away with lower rings too. Crazy that a “pro” shop would set it up like that. This is the reason I bought a wheeler mounting set after I saw a couple of scopes mounted by “pros”, haha.

Quote:
Do they still make them?
I bought mine at Precision Optics a couple of months ago. Not sure what they currently have in stock though.
Old 03-09-2023, 06:19 PM

Quote:
^ Looks like you would get away with lower rings too. Crazy that a “pro” shop would set it up like that. This is the reason I bought a wheeler mounting set after I saw a couple of scopes mounted by “pros”, haha.

I bought mine at Precision Optics a couple of months ago. Not sure what they currently have in stock though.
I could check there pretty easy, a few km from my home base. I believe those are supposed to be the lows.
Old 03-09-2023, 07:18 PM

Those lows look pretty high to me.

Your objective looks the same size as Prairiekid’s. Just ask him what height he has and do the same.
Old 03-10-2023, 10:47 AM

Update, this is from the dealer, I will attempt to return/refund for the rings and bases and see what happens.

Thanks for the pictures.
The short optilock bases will not work. The front base mounting screw for supporting your scope ring would cause your front ring to line up with the bell on your scope so it will not work with your eye relief. Here is the setup on the exact same gun as yours with the short base . That is why Sako makes the Extended front bases , It's not uncommon and is the only way often to mount scopes on their Short Actions. If you used Talley bases we would run into the same situation.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20230310_100815 (2).jpg (34.5 KB, 82 views)
Old 03-10-2023, 11:39 AM

Default sako opti loc Rings/bases

You may also want to consider Leupold Sako Rings complete with built in bases, that slide on. I have used them without any difficulty for years.
Old 03-10-2023, 11:58 AM

Be cautious of mounting too low as that Leopold has a bit of a lever on the power ring that may keep the bolt from clearing .
Old 03-10-2023, 12:02 PM

Default Ring Mounts

The Sako Ring Mounts (one piece) are available from Stoeger in both 30mm and 1", part numbers S1701904 and S1701900 respectively.

https://www.stoegercanada.ca/product...n-sizes-blued/

https://www.stoegercanada.ca/product...n-sizes-blued/
Old 03-10-2023, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Thumper View Post
Be cautious of mounting too low as that Leopold has a bit of a lever on the power ring that may keep the bolt from clearing .
I don't think a couple of mm lower would be an issue, that is why I took this picture. The power ring is all the way over and the bolt is full open, lots of clearance.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 23104B30-319A-458D-85A3-4532E2D79DD9.JPG (110.8 KB, 44 views)
Old 03-10-2023, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Update, this is from the dealer, I will attempt to return/refund for the rings and bases and see what happens.

Thanks for the pictures.
The short optilock bases will not work. The front base mounting screw for supporting your scope ring would cause your front ring to line up with the bell on your scope so it will not work with your eye relief. Here is the setup on the exact same gun as yours with the short base . That is why Sako makes the Extended front bases , It's not uncommon and is the only way often to mount scopes on their Short Actions. If you used Talley bases we would run into the same situation.
Yeah, that is what I thought why they mounted it this way. I see your scope is just a tad further back than Prairiekid’s and, like I mentioned, his set up is pretty tight leeway wise (and looks wise, lol). Still do not understand the need for rings this high though.

Having said that, however, I am still not convinced it wouldn’t mount with the standard bases. But one-piece Optilocks should work regardless, just by looking at your pics with your proper eye relief. What model Leupold is this?

Just in case, you may find this thread useful.

Edit: Note the pics in posts 19 and 22 in that thread (the latter is raised by wolves’ rifle). The scopes on those rifles have tubes 135mm/5.31in and 136mm/5.36in long, respectively, and both are mounted with standard bases.

Last edited by fishnguy; 03-10-2023 at 07:59 PM.
Old 03-10-2023, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Yeah, that is what I thought why they mounted it this way. I see your scope is just a tad further back than Prairiekid’s and, like I mentioned, his set up is pretty tight leeway wise (and looks wise, lol). Still do not understand the need for rings this high though.

Having said that, however, I am still not convinced it wouldn’t mount with the standard bases. But one-piece Optilocks should work regardless, just by looking at your pics with your proper eye relief. What model Leupold is this?

Just in case, you may find this thread useful.

Edit: Note the pics in posts 19 and 22 in that thread (the latter is raised by wolves’ rifle). The scopes on those rifles have tubes 135mm/5.31in and 136mm/5.36in long, respectively, and both are mounted with standard bases.
VX- HD3 4.4x14x50

I'm returning the rings and bases and will find some locally so we can make sure they fit properly...before we pay for them.
Old 03-10-2023, 08:55 PM

The tube length on that scope is 5.3 inches, so it should work with the standard bases. I guess all depends on the eye relief. This is for VX3-HD 4.5x14-50:

Yeah, if you can find some locally and see the fitment for yourself if not sure is probably the best way to go.
Old 03-11-2023, 06:55 AM

I thought it would fit with the short base but the vendor didn't, far less grief if I just return them and source them somewhere close to home.
Old 03-11-2023, 04:19 PM

Quote:

FishnGuy, Cheers!
Just ordered a pair from Vanderhoof, I'll post fitment pics if they work out.