Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 12-11-2022, 08:06 PM

Default Caliber recommendation needed

Ok. I am a new hunter with limited experience, one whitetail in my freezer. I only got about 50 pounds or so of meat, and what we have tried is very tasty! I definitely want another whitetail next year so my .270 will get the nod. However, the idea of a moose for a bit more meat is crossing my mind. I prefer not to chase a wounded moose very far at my age, so what would the best calibre be for moose? If you read enough from the internet, you are told that a well placed shot from a .270 will drop a moose. I am a bit uncomfortable with that, I would need the perfect shot. I hear a .308 is enough to penetrate bone, and others say 30-06. Finally, the 300 win mag is in the mix. I prefer to stick with common rifles with generally available and reasonably priced ammo, so less common calibres would not be my first choice. (300 weatherby magnum ammo is darned expensive and not always freely available, as an example. And, I cannot afford the rifle!) I am leaning toward 300 win mag but fear the recoil a bit. On my personal recoil-o-meter, a.270 has no noticeable recoil. Would a 300 win mag be bad?
Enough gabbing. What would you recommend?
Old 12-11-2022, 08:14 PM

Personally love the 300WM. Find a good used heavier rifle to absorb some recoil, shoot a bit lighter bullets, very good combo for the deer as well. One rifle does it all.

You can, you should, & if you're brave enough to start, you will. Stephen King
Old 12-11-2022, 08:15 PM

Absolutely no need to go to a different cartridge, I know of many experienced moose hunters that kill moose with 130 grain Accubonds or 150 grain Nosler partitions. You don't need a perfect shot by any means although hitting the vitals is always preferable. If it's not a budget constraint on a new rifle there's definitely nothing wrong with the 300 Win Mag or my preference the 338 win mag shooting 225 gr. Accubonds. But I wouldn't ever tell someone you can't effectively kill moose with a 270.
Old 12-11-2022, 08:16 PM

Your 270 will do what 30-06 and 308 can do. 270 will put a moose down as the other cartridges you mentioned will. Shot placement will matter no matter the caliber. If you want another gun, buy it; otherwise, stick with 270. Imo.
Old 12-11-2022, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Btfsplk View Post
Ok. I am a new hunter with limited experience, one whitetail in my freezer. I only got about 50 pounds or so of meat, and what we have tried is very tasty! I definitely want another whitetail next year so my .270 will get the nod. However, the idea of a moose for a bit more meat is crossing my mind. I prefer not to chase a wounded moose very far at my age, so what would the best calibre be for moose? If you read enough from the internet, you are told that a well placed shot from a .270 will drop a moose. I am a bit uncomfortable with that, I would need the perfect shot. I hear a .308 is enough to penetrate bone, and others say 30-06. Finally, the 300 win mag is in the mix. I prefer to stick with common rifles with generally available and reasonably priced ammo, so less common calibres would not be my first choice. (300 weatherby magnum ammo is darned expensive and not always freely available, as an example. And, I cannot afford the rifle!) I am leaning toward 300 win mag but fear the recoil a bit. On my personal recoil-o-meter, a.270 has no noticeable recoil. Would a 300 win mag be bad?
Enough gabbing. What would you recommend?
If you are not too comfortable with a .270 I would simply move to a 30-06 and use a heavier bullet , like a 180 gr Partition. You do not require a Magnum of any type
Shoot it enough to get used to it and it will serve you well.
Old 12-11-2022, 08:25 PM

I like the 270 and have confidence with it. My preference would be to stick with it!
Old 12-11-2022, 08:26 PM

Your 270 win works fine I have personally taken moose without issue with a 270 as a teenager, my brother in BC still shoots all his bulls with a 270, and know many others who have taken moose with a 270

My grandfather in BC hunted moose every year in for 60 years successfully most years too. Most of his bulls were take with a 30-06. I have watched that old man flop a good number of bulls on the spot. The only other calibers he has used was a 303 and 308

Seen lots of moose taken with non magnum calibers. I have personally taken moose with 270, 7mm, 30-06, and 50cal muzzleloader without issue

No fancy shooting was necessary and most were taken with simple chest shots

If you want a 300win by all means buy one but I would not hesitate for one second to just use your 270win as it is completely sufficient
Old 12-11-2022, 08:33 PM

Based on what you say I’d say 30.06, but sticking with the .270 is good also.
Old 12-11-2022, 08:44 PM

270 vs 30-06 ..... 6 of one, half dozen of the other. Load your 270 with a 150 gr. pill like the Speer Grand Slam or Nosler Accubond and enjoy your hunt.
Old 12-11-2022, 08:49 PM

There is absolutely nothing wrong with your 270 for moose - with the appropriate bullets

I always use and recommend monometals (ttsx, gmx, trophy copper) because they are more likely to penetrate both lungs and leave an exit hole, and keep your shots inside 300 yards.
Old 12-11-2022, 09:01 PM

You should get a 27-06.
Old 12-11-2022, 09:14 PM

Here's my .02 after having shot a ton of critters from bears to moose with everything from 30/30's to 45/110's and the big magnums .
" use enough gun" is a common phrase many hunters aspire to, but it pertains to dangerous game. Not North American ungulates persey.
I am NOT A fan of the 270 for personal reasons even though I have killed animals with it , but make no mistake , it will kill just as quickly and efficiently as anything else including bears, deer moose and elk !
A bad hit with a 375 is just as bad as a 270 no matter what some people say.
My advice ( unless you just have to have a new rifle) is to practise with your 270. Learn to shoot if offhand and kneeling. And enjoy it then go kill stuff!
Cat
Old 12-11-2022, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Cox View Post
You should get a 27-06.
Now is that the win or Springfield?
Old 12-11-2022, 09:26 PM

Take some of the money you would have spent on a new rifle and scope and buy ammo for your 270. Practice, practice, practice.

A tough bullet, and a ethical range to deliver enough ft-lbs to that moose and you will be enjoying moose meat.
Old 12-11-2022, 09:34 PM

Your .270 will work just fine. If you have a .300 WM, sure use it. If the .270 is the only rifle you have, use it. So much over thinking with cartridges. If you put the bullet in the heart or lungs your moose will die. A good bullet helps, but really any bullet will work (accubond, tsx, partition, sst, bonded anything). I've dropped moose with a .308, 7mm08, 7 mm RM, .300 WM, and if I'd ever had a .270 I'm sure I could have done it with that too.

Practice with what you have, use a good bullet, go kill a moose. Really, it doesn't take a magic cartridge. Just well placed bullet.

Speaking as someone who has killed stuff. And all the successful hunters will agree I'm sure.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 12-11-2022, 09:34 PM

Stick with your 270, it will work just fine. My dad did most of his hunting with a 243 and then a 6mm, a lot of moose on the ground through out his years.
Old 12-11-2022, 09:49 PM

The wife's moose last year, one shot through the heart and he dropped in his tracks. She shoots a 270.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20211114_075620_resized_6.jpg (41.1 KB, 143 views)
Old 12-11-2022, 10:06 PM

Isn't a .270 a necked down 30-06? Should be lots for a moose. My dad fed us for years with a 30-30.
Old 12-11-2022, 10:30 PM
Banned

As said above

Keep the 270
Just use better bullets for a moose or an elk
Barnes ttsx
Swift bullets
Hornady cx
Nosler partition
Those will all break any bones
Old 12-11-2022, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokinyotes View Post
Now is that the win or Springfield?

Edit: Winfield.

Last edited by fishnguy; 12-11-2022 at 11:04 PM.
Old 12-12-2022, 12:39 AM

I agree with the consensus above - a 270 is more than enough to drop a moose.

You need to also consider, if you go up to a heavier recoiling rifle (like the 300 win mag) you may not shoot is with as much confidence if it's uncomfortable to shoot - and heaven forbid you develop a flinch.

Have 100% confidence in your 270 - she is more than capable of doing everything you need to do to a moose with a good bullet. The difference is indiscernible - you, or the moose won't see a difference.
Old 12-12-2022, 01:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
I agree with the consensus above - a 270 is more than enough to drop a moose.

You need to also consider, if you go up to a heavier recoiling rifle (like the 300 win mag) you may not shoot is with as much confidence if it's uncomfortable to shoot - and heaven forbid you develop a flinch.

Have 100% confidence in your 270 - she is more than capable of doing everything you need to do to a moose with a good bullet. The difference is indiscernible - you, or the moose won't see a difference.
X2 .Agree 100 percent and also TC mentioned in his post not to over think this whole deal .You have a cartridge more then capable in taking moose ,I hunted with one off an one for 48 years .Never ever let me down .

To many guys with magnums don't have the skills to shot past 300 ,plus they have no limitations on how far to shoot at an animal .

Practice in every shooting position possible and the 270 win allows this as you can control recoil in multiple shooting positions and that builds confidence and everything becomes just a fast very controlled reflex from your eye to your finger without even thinking or letting adrenaline interfere with your shot.

After a while you don't even hear the shot your so focused in ,the mind is your most powerful tool in hunting ,second is your rifle . Tune all that into one package and enjoy a long life of hunting .

Cheers
JD
Old 12-12-2022, 03:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Here's my .02 after having shot a ton of critters from bears to moose with everything from 30/30's to 45/110's and the big magnums .
" use enough gun" is a common phrase many hunters aspire to, but it pertains to dangerous game. Not North American ungulates persey.
I am NOT A fan of the 270 for personal reasons even though I have killed animals with it , but make no mistake , it will kill just as quickly and efficiently as anything else including bears, deer moose and elk !
A bad hit with a 375 is just as bad as a 270 no matter what some people say.
My advice ( unless you just have to have a new rifle) is to practise with your 270. Learn to shoot if offhand and kneeling. And enjoy it then go kill stuff!
Cat
I harvested my whitetail from a kneeling position, and I appreciate what you say about a bad hit with any caliber! From what everyone seems to be saying, I will stick with my .270, a new rifle is NOT a necessity if I can use what I have. Thanks to everyone for your thoughts!
Old 12-12-2022, 05:56 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnguy View Post
Your 270 will do what 30-06 and 308 can do. 270 will put a moose down as the other cartridges you mentioned will. Shot placement will matter no matter the caliber. If you want another gun, buy it; otherwise, stick with 270. Imo.
Tend to agree with this statement.

Fill the freezer only and only if you do your part.

Good luck next season.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 12-12-2022, 05:59 AM

My father in law owned a 270 for years that I now own, I loaded for him since the mid 80's and back then it was 150gr nosler partitions, when the accubonds came out about 20 years ago we switched over to the 140 gr nosler accubonds and never looked back.
To the best of my memory that 270 has killed at least 5 moose, 2 elk, dozens of deer and 1 antelope, it still goes to hunting camp every year and the load is still 140gr nosler accubonds, nothing more needed.

Enjoy your 270 and good hunting

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 12-12-2022, 06:32 AM

Agree with the consensus on this one. Nothing wrong with a .270. I used to hunt moose with one many moons ago. Never had an issue if I did my job.

Replaced it when I started playing with moose in grizzly country in the mid 80s. To this date, I still use the "replacement".

Practice different shooting positions. If you do your part, you will have meat in the freezer every year...
Old 12-12-2022, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Btfsplk View Post
I harvested my whitetail from a kneeling position, and I appreciate what you say about a bad hit with any caliber! From what everyone seems to be saying, I will stick with my .270, a new rifle is NOT a necessity if I can use what I have. Thanks to everyone for your thoughts!
With the money you save on buying a new rifle you can spend on your 270, be it ammo, hand loading supplies, or a new scope!
Cat
Old 12-12-2022, 08:36 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
With the money you save on buying a new rifle you can spend on your 270, be it ammo, hand loading supplies, or a new scope!
Cat
And some sticks to shoot off of
Old 12-12-2022, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky_mark View Post
And some sticks to shoot off of
I use a walking staff- most of the time where I hunt things happen so fast I don't get a chance to use it though!
Cat
Old 12-12-2022, 09:29 AM

If I had to abandon my home and grab 1 rifle on the way out the door I would use to feed my family for the rest of our days, it would be a 40 year old model 70 winchester in 270win. There's no question.

The best gun for the job is the one you shoot most accurately and are most familiar with. Just make sure you are using a quality bullet. A bonded nosler is hard to beat. Tough and not finicky about impact velocity.