Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 06-09-2023, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -JR- View Post
They should only allow generators that you can not hears at all ,at any time of the day . All those other loud units should not be allowed at all . I will never stay at a non powered site just for that reason . Had a guy next to me run his loud unit all day . not much of a holiday in camp .
I’m not sure what everyone expects when they think a holiday is taking a portable house and putting it 15’ from someone else’s portable house. One of the strangest phenomenon’s I can think of.
Old 06-09-2023, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pathfinder76 View Post
I’m not sure what everyone expects when they think a holiday is taking a portable house and putting it 15’ from someone else’s portable house. One of the strangest phenomenon’s I can think of.
Come on now...they need this to play their video games inside their air conditioned portable houses as it is too hot outside...hehe...

Well for those than enjoy this lifestyle, I salute you, but not for me...
Old 06-09-2023, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewerrat View Post
Big difference between your own or public lands!

What you do on your land is your business.
Whoosh. Completely missed the point.
Old 06-09-2023, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil McCracken View Post
Come on now...they need this to play their video games inside their air conditioned portable houses as it is too hot outside...hehe...

Well for those than enjoy this lifestyle, I salute you, but not for me...
And the Flames might make the Play Offs.

Grizz

Isaiah 5:8
Old 06-09-2023, 07:29 AM

Generators are always a dicey topic! Try searching past history. A real eye opener!

Sorry Tommy, but it seems to me that common sense and courtesy would answer the original question for you. If the rule is no generators/noise after 11 that applies to all. Whether or not you intended, it appears you are looking for a way to exempt yourself from the rules with the blessing of people here.

Some yeas back, some areso planted a rather noisy construction genny just outside our site and ran a 100' extension cord to his trailer. That thing ran from sun up till 11 or later all day for 5 days. My wife had to hold me back from doing bad things to that innocent piece of machinery.

I have a genny, it's not a honda or yamaha, bit it is an inverter and not too much louder. It never starts before 9 AM and never runs after 4PM. I also take care to point it ( noise wise ) in a direction there are no neighbors. I also have a solar panel that generally keeps the battery charged, so usually the only time I run the genny is 30 degree + weather for AC. Wife has health issues and doesn't take heat very well.

That said, hope you enjoy the new RV and have a great summer wherever you travel!!
Old 06-09-2023, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Beats taking a holiday and staying in concrete connecting bunkers sleeping in beds strangers used before and after you leave. If your lucky, they many come with bed bugs you can take back home and enjoy the experience for free.... Too each their own I guess.....
Old 06-09-2023, 08:18 AM

I would suggest that just before quiet time on a calm evening just walk around your RV and see how far the noise from it is traveling if it carrying over to the neighbors shut it off if then. I been by some of those built in generators and inverter ones that you can't hear from more than 5ft away .
Old 06-09-2023, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledhead71 View Post
Beats taking a holiday and staying in concrete connecting bunkers sleeping in beds strangers used before and after you leave. If your lucky, they many come with bed bugs you can take back home and enjoy the experience for free.... Too each their own I guess.....
Not to discriminate, I thinks that’s stupid too.
Old 06-09-2023, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brslk View Post
If you're only 3/4 drunk by 11:00pm, are you really camping?
Hahahaha, now that's awesome. That is a fun way to camp

Just got find the right places, even as punks we did try to party in spots where we weren't bugging others, and if anyone ever did come over and tell us to keep it down, we respected their wishes.
Old 06-09-2023, 08:39 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
Hello all, wondering if some RVer's can help me out here. Would like to know if your built in generator on your trailer or motorhome are exempt from the rules that a lot of campground have about running time? Since it's not the portable type that you leave outside.

I have always had the portable type, but this new rig I got now has the generator built in a nice box and it's got some sound proofing stuff around it and you can hardly hear running outside the motorhome.

Thanks
Tommy
Well Tommy what ya gotta do is call the intended camp ground keepers of the peace or google it and look into the rules/regs pertaining to your question. Good Luck and enjoy the new RV

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 06-09-2023, 08:42 AM

You can quiet the construction ones down quite a bit by attaching a baffle box with a piece of flexible stainless hose attached to the exhaust. Works on the same principle as a suppressor.
Old 06-09-2023, 08:55 AM

I find that people can't hear my generator if I leave my 2 yappy chihuahuas outside unattended.
Old 06-09-2023, 09:00 AM

You should head out to the bush and camp where there’s no one around. You can run your gen set anytime you want.

And the bonus is you’ll have no internet so you can’t ask for on line opinions or advice, cause I don’t think it’s working out to well for you.

You’ll love your fellow man best when they are not around.
Old 06-09-2023, 09:16 AM

Quote:
I bug the in-laws, lets go camping but try to make it as much like home as possible. If that's the case, why not just stay home?
Old 06-09-2023, 09:20 AM

Worked many years in remote bush camps. Generators don't bother me a bit. If i cant hear it then i'm bothered. IE , 3:00 am , flashlight and cursing. Ha
Old 06-09-2023, 09:25 AM

[QUOTE=zabbo;4641407]Generators are always a dicey topic! Try searching past history. A real eye opener!

Sorry Tommy, but it seems to me that common sense and courtesy would answer the original question for you. If the rule is no generators/noise after 11 that applies to all. Whether or not you intended, it appears you are looking for a way to exempt yourself from the rules with the blessing of people here.

The above. The rules are posted. A generator is a generator is a generator. Have concerns, ask the campground admin. There are also rules about dogs off leash, noise after 10 or 11pm.,etc. Simple stated rules that are not difficult to comprehend but apparently are. After 35 years of RVing I've seen and heard it all. In the cities we have police and bylaw officers to keep things in order, not so in most campgrounds.
Old 06-09-2023, 09:26 AM

Well, Tommy - looks like you have your answer... Hope you enjoy your new RV, and have fun camping!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zabbo View Post
Some yeas back, some areso planted a rather noisy construction genny just outside our site and ran a 100' extension cord to his trailer. That thing ran from sun up till 11 or later all day for 5 days. My wife had to hold me back from doing bad things to that innocent piece of machinery.
Hey, I think I camped next to those guys too!

It was hard to get mad at them, they were a bunch of cheerful older guys, spending the days outside their trailers chatting and drinking, enjoying the Fall weather. But it sure did grate on my nerves, listening to that thing day and night. They had placed it as far as possible from their site, meaning they put it right in the woods behind our site.

I think they were afraid of the dark, though, they had a ton of lights strung up in the trees. I think that's why they constantly ran that noisy construction generator - keep the lights on and scare the grizzlies away.

Personally, never camped with a generator. Mostly use serviced sites, and I have good batteries and supplement with solar. For power, we don't have A/C, no TV, I unplugged the radio... Just run the LED lights, charge phones, fridge control board, water pump, ceiling fan, and furnace fan. Can boondock for days like that. I could see a generator being handy for later in the year when I need to run the furnace more, or if IncrediGirl or I need a CPAP.
Old 06-09-2023, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
I bug the in-laws, lets go camping but try to make it as much like home as possible. If that's the case, why not just stay home?
Camping is for people without a house.
Old 06-09-2023, 10:17 AM

Last time in a camp ground I didn’t mind the genny hours of run.
We run ours 8 hours a day for the wife so she can run the starlink and laptops for work that is why we stay in the bush. Haven’t been to a camp ground in 4 years. Campground frown when i shoot my guns or bow. 😂😂
Old 06-09-2023, 10:48 AM

Quote:
OK and now queue the guys coming to argue and be condescending towards other folk's style of camping...

Never change, AO!
Old 06-09-2023, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstubbs View Post
OK and now queue the guys coming to argue and be condescending towards other folk's style of camping...

Never change, AO!
Ok I’ll be the first. I don’t like some campers lawn chairs, they sit to low and don’t have a cup holder.

And don’t get me started on drinking whiskey in a solo cup.
Old 06-09-2023, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstubbs View Post

Never change, AO!
LOL. Yep. To add fuel to the fire, all you folks out hunting with firearms aren't doing it right. The noise from your boom sticks is really interrupting my primitive weapons hunting. Primitive weapons are the only way to hunt, and the rest of you are ignorant if you disagree. And optics? Don't even get me started. If you can't ID with bare eyesight, you don't deserve to hunt. May as well just get your meat from grocery store. Trail cams? Come on.

Sarcasm obviously. I do agree, keep your noise confined, infringing on others enjoyment isn't kosher. But it is my own business if I had the money and desire to buy a $300k RV and park it at the prairie puddle 15 minutes from my house. I'm not telling others how to enjoy their own spare time, so they shouldn't tell me. You have no more right to a campground with a single person tent then I do with my camper.

Also, I have as quiet of an inverter generator as I could afford. I have a CPAP that is picky with power, and an 8 month pregnant wife, and 3 kids under 5 AC is a must to get my kids to bed. I won't break rules, and camp generally with power. But I will run it right till cutoff, away from others with noise mitigated.
Old 06-09-2023, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewerrat View Post
For the amount that people spend on generators like the Yamaha or Honda , spend that money on solar panels inverter and good batteries.

We go camping to get away from noisy neighbors and their lawnmowers , weed eaters and leaf blowers .
Listening to noisy genies is not my ideal camping trip, in fact it’s a bit selfish of you running a generator, that tells me you only think about you and no one else.
Generators annoy the hell out of me, which is why we mostly wilderness camp Solar: Exactly right. A good solar system will power all your electronics easily and silently. You’re going to need a 6-800 watt 4 battery solar system to run your microwave and toaster though.
Old 06-09-2023, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Don't go and say things to make them question their decision; we want them to stay where they are happy.
The last thing we need is all of them dispersing to random sites in the forestry.

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 06-09-2023, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavrick View Post
Ok I’ll be the first. I don’t like some campers lawn chairs, they sit to low and don’t have a cup holder.

And don’t get me started on drinking whiskey in a solo cup.
Reminds me, tents are for sissies. Real men stare at the stars and let the mosquitos take blood bank donations.
Old 06-09-2023, 01:56 PM

I think the original question has been answered.

Now it’s just a peeing contest.
Closed Thread