Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 05-03-2023, 08:37 PM

Default Best caliber for Moose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Btfsplk View Post
Ok. I am a new hunter with limited experience, one whitetail in my freezer. I only got about 50 pounds or so of meat, and what we have tried is very tasty! I definitely want another whitetail next year so my .270 will get the nod. However, the idea of a moose for a bit more meat is crossing my mind. I prefer not to chase a wounded moose very far at my age, so what would the best calibre be for moose? If you read enough from the internet, you are told that a well placed shot from a .270 will drop a moose. I am a bit uncomfortable with that, I would need the perfect shot. I hear a .308 is enough to penetrate bone, and others say 30-06. Finally, the 300 win mag is in the mix. I prefer to stick with common rifles with generally available and reasonably priced ammo, so less common calibres would not be my first choice. (300 weatherby magnum ammo is darned expensive and not always freely available, as an example. And, I cannot afford the rifle!) I am leaning toward 300 win mag but fear the recoil a bit. On my personal recoil-o-meter, a.270 has no noticeable recoil. Would a 300 win mag be bad?
Enough gabbing. What would you recommend?
I myself prefer the 338 Win Mag. It has a proven success record on all North American game animals from deer to the biggest brown bears, as well as all African plains game, and some dangerous game animals where allowed. However, recoil can be an issue for those who prefer lower recoil calibers. If you are willing to sacrifice a little bit of performance but still have confidence that your cartridge will easily bring down a moose, then there are very few that will fit the bill better than the standard 338-06, you will even be equipped to take a wondering brown bear on.... Recoil is not an issue and brass and bullets are plentiful. It uses 30-06 brass and you have the variety of the 338 bullets. You will have to be a hand loader or have somebody who can do it for you if you want to take this route, because you will not find ammo for it in a gun store. Since rifles for this caliber are not available in any gun store, it will have to be a custom build project or rebarrel/rebore job on a 30-06 rifle.

Last edited by Capebuffalo; 05-03-2023 at 08:47 PM. Reason: Adding a sentence
Old 05-03-2023, 10:34 PM

Better get a 9.3x62 like I’ve got for you , lol
Old 05-06-2023, 09:14 AM

Default 270 is all you need

Best advice I can give you is to get really good at shooting your 270, be very familiar with the anatomy of your target species, and be very sure of your shot when shooting at an animal. I’ve shot moose with a 25-06 a couple times, the key is shot placement. Lots have gone down with a 243.

The money you save not getting another gun would be well spent buying ammo/shooting your 270.

A double lung hit on a moose will always put a moose down, he might go 30-50 yards, but not likely any further. And that’s out to 400 yards, maybe more. Stay with your 270 and get really good at shooting it. Hardest part will be to get the tag lol.
Old 05-06-2023, 10:37 AM

Default I hate to be that guy

As far as calibre recomendations your choices are .243 (6mm) /.257 / .264 (6.5 mm)/ .277 (6.8mm) / .284 (7mm) or .308 (7.62mm)

Or you can choose from lots of cartridges like 243 winchester 6mm remington 6mm BR or 25-06 or 257 Roberts or 6.5 Creedmoor or 6.5x55 Swede or 6.5 PRC or 270 win or 270 Weatherby or 7mm Remington Magnum or 7mm PRC

Just saying. Rant over and I hope this is somewhat helpful

PS please forgive me if I left out a cartridge that you are particularly fond of, i meant no disrespect by my lack of inclusion!

Last edited by markg; 05-06-2023 at 10:42 AM.
Old 05-06-2023, 12:41 PM

30-06

does it all
Old 05-06-2023, 10:44 PM

I like my 270 and also my 375H&H but you can get a good 303 British that is sporterized, it’s a classic Canadian caliber.
Old 05-06-2023, 11:35 PM

Default ...............270 win.

Hunting in North America, if the .270 win. can't do it, it does not need to be done !!!
Old 05-07-2023, 08:02 AM

Just shoot a good bullet like ttsx, or a partition and your 270 is more than adequate. Moose are big babies, elk are a different story.
Old 05-07-2023, 08:12 AM

The 270 will do the job . But if you have the itch to buy a new rifle have a look at the 300 short Mag I would say its in between a 30-06 and a 300 mag
Old 05-07-2023, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capebuffalo View Post
I myself prefer the 338 Win Mag. It has a proven success record on all North American game animals from deer to the biggest brown bears, as well as all African plains game, and some dangerous game animals where allowed. However, recoil can be an issue for those who prefer lower recoil calibers. If you are willing to sacrifice a little bit of performance but still have confidence that your cartridge will easily bring down a moose, then there are very few that will fit the bill better than the standard 338-06, you will even be equipped to take a wondering brown bear on.... Recoil is not an issue and brass and bullets are plentiful. It uses 30-06 brass and you have the variety of the 338 bullets. You will have to be a hand loader or have somebody who can do it for you if you want to take this route, because you will not find ammo for it in a gun store. Since rifles for this caliber are not available in any gun store, it will have to be a custom build project or rebarrel/rebore job on a 30-06 rifle.
I think the 338 is highly underrated. Here is Dirk De Bods take on it.

Old 05-07-2023, 10:33 AM

The majority of calibers will work. Dropped moose will a 95gr bullet from a 243, had them walk away from 300gr from a 338Lapua Magnum. Shot placement and how determined each animal to live are the factors. Find what you like shooting, something with ammo available, or buy lots of components, manageable recoil or get a better brake.

Heavier bullets typically work better as they have the mass.... Compare an old Chevy 350motor and a new turbo 4cylinder.... On paper they can pull about the same. Except the 4banger needs to be working just right to do it. The 350 could be burning oil faster than gas and you will still get there. Similar to bullets. Bigger and heavier just do it easier
Old 05-07-2023, 10:53 AM

Quote:

Or one could also opt for a .35 Whelen vs the A and more plentiful factory ammunition if so desired. Same brass, bigger bullet, similar recoil to the A, considerably less than the 338 mag of course.

Last edited by 270person; 05-07-2023 at 11:05 AM.
Old 05-07-2023, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
Or one could also opt for a .35 Whelen vs the A and more plentiful factory ammunition if so desired. Same brass, bigger bullet, similar recoil to the A, considerably less than the 338 mag of course.
Not considerably less, no.
Old 05-07-2023, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pathfinder76 View Post
Not considerably less, no.

I consider 8 -10 lbs considerable. 308 to 300wm is considerable and less than 10lbs.
Old 05-07-2023, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pathfinder76 View Post
I think the 338 is highly underrated. Here is Dirk De Bods take on it.

Dirk de Bod is the man! And seen more stuff killed than we'll ever see!

You can, you should, & if you're brave enough to start, you will. Stephen King
Old 05-08-2023, 10:01 AM

Joe;
"On my personal recoil-o-meter, a.270 has no noticeable recoil. Would a 300 win mag be bad?"

If you shoot the .270 well, a 300WM will be little difference. You still have to do your job on shot placement.

Find a little heavier rifle and a good recoil pad or a muzzle break. I used a 300WM for everything years ago....180 grain bullet.

I will say this, IMHO, any 300WM in a synthetic "lite" is a little uncomfortable to shoot.

I sounds like you want a 300WM, so buy one and don't look back: you will be happy.

Good luck,

We have two lives: The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.

Last edited by graybeard; 05-08-2023 at 10:09 AM.
Old 05-08-2023, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Very good reccomendation above. If you are considering a .300 Mag, the 338-06 or even a .35 Whelen would be excellent choices, as would a 9.3x62.
Recoil is not going to be an issue with any of these cartridges. If you can handle a .300 or .338 win mag efficiently you will certainly be able to handle any of them with relative ease. Unfortunately there is no commercial ammo available for the .338-06. Try one or all of them and see for yourself. Felt recoil is subject to your ability to handle it properly, no matter the amount.