Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-23-2024, 10:05 PM

Default 2015 Toyota Tundra 4wd

Good - Bad or ????????
Have a opportunity to pick up a real clean one owner 2015 Tundra 4wd .
My old 2003 F250SD V-10 starting to show its age .
Fire away .
Old 04-23-2024, 10:36 PM

It’s great! But depends what your needs are.
Old 04-23-2024, 11:38 PM

Open diffs on pretty much all of them.

Least carrying capacity of all pickups in its class. (To my knowledge)

Your old v10 is probably more fuel efficient.

Reputation for reliability.

No cylinder deactivation.

Last edited by Big Sky; 04-24-2024 at 12:03 AM.
Old 04-24-2024, 06:21 AM

Put it this way, if you don’t buy it I might. As long as it’s a crew cab with a 5.7. Quite possibly the most reliable 1/2 ton made in the last 20 years. The only thing I’ve ever heard going wrong is brakes needing to be done more frequently when guys treat them like a 1 ton diesel and pull a heavy trailer continuously. Every other 1/2 ton would be a smoking pile of broken parts doing that, so it’s not much of a problem.

Wish I had upgraded before they eco-humped their trucks.
Old 04-24-2024, 07:42 AM

Probably the most reliable 1/2 ton made in this century. No locking differentials, and not easy on fuel, but if are okay with that, just do regular services and drive it. I had a 2007 for 12 years, and replaced a battery, and did the front brakes.
Old 04-24-2024, 08:22 AM

I currently drive a 2013, pig on gas, that's it, great truck, would buy it again in a heartbeat
Old 04-25-2024, 09:51 AM

I have owned 12 toyotas. Pigs on fuel. No maintenance other than basics. Amazing reliability. But the fuel is crayyyyyzeeee

Currently in a lexus wife and duramax myself because of free fuel at work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-25-2024, 10:07 AM

Default 2015 Toyota Tundra 4wd

We have a 2014. Biggest complaint is the cam tower/timing cover leak, which Is a FIPK install fail, but Toyota won’t cover the repair bill.

There is a notice on the lifter tick, the service techs will be looking for this when servicing the truck. Not sure what the long-term issues around that are, but just something be aware of.

Brake rotors do tend to warp prematurely due to an issue with binding calipers. Keeping the calipers maintained helps to prevent that.

It has a microscopic tank (compared to modern trucks). So when towing, you will be making a lot of refueling stops. I think the fuel consumption is relatively normal for the vehicle that it is.

It’s very reliable, and quite capable off road even without locking diffs. Nice and roomy, lots of power when you need it.

I would like a better payload though.
Old 04-25-2024, 10:51 AM

I don’t know why there’s a lot of “it’s poor on gas” comments. My 2015 Tundra 5.7L gets 11.5L per 100kms combined city and highway.

For a big truck with a big V8, that’s really good! No hemi, Ford, or GM that I know of gets anywhere near that kind of gas mileage.

This has pretty much been bullet proof. Regular wearing items like brakes, belts, and tires aside, it’s only needed a water pump, a pulley, and an alternator in 200,000 kilometres. Say what you will as I’ve owned everything out there, this Tundra is the best quality and most reliable truck I’ve ever owned.
Old 04-25-2024, 10:56 AM

those are great numbers! I have the same engine but the TRD package and slightly larger tires and last time I checked I was getting like 16!
Old 04-25-2024, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragor764 View Post
those are great numbers! I have the same engine but the TRD package and slightly larger tires and last time I checked I was getting like 16!
With the price of petrol, I drive it with a light right foot. As with everything in life, you get out of it what you put into it. Wanna drive like an idiot? Then you’ll get really poor fuel economy.

Not say’n you drive like that.
Old 04-25-2024, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6MT View Post
With the price of petrol, I drive it with a light right foot. As with everything in life, you get out of it what you put into it. Wanna drive like an idiot? Then you’ll get really poor fuel economy.

Not say’n you drive like that.
I do not believe a word of this but am extremely happy for your fuel economy. A v6 4 runner would get close to that mileage. I have had a 2012, 2018 2020 and a 2021 trd pro. None of them came anywhere near 10. 15 yes.

So lets get serious. Dont set the guy up for great fuel economy. He will be sad.
Old 04-25-2024, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Buffalo View Post
We have a 2014. Biggest complaint is the cam tower/timing cover leak, which Is a FIPK install fail, but Toyota won’t cover the repair bill.

There is a notice on the lifter tick, the service techs will be looking for this when servicing the truck. Not sure what the long-term issues around that are, but just something be aware of.

Brake rotors do tend to warp prematurely due to an issue with binding calipers. Keeping the calipers maintained helps to prevent that.

It has a microscopic tank (compared to modern trucks). So when towing, you will be making a lot of refueling stops. I think the fuel consumption is relatively normal for the vehicle that it is.

It’s very reliable, and quite capable off road even without locking diffs. Nice and roomy, lots of power when you need it.

I would like a better payload though.
You are right, the tank size is an issue for me as well, I have to bring spare fuel most times I go in the bush
Old 04-26-2024, 10:41 AM

The best mileage I would get is around 14.5 l/100 if I'm driving conservatively. Winter driving and idling/warming up etc. it will average around 17+ l/100. I don't stomp on it at traffic lights etc.

It's a stock SR5 Crewmax, with Duratrac tires, no lift or other mods (yet).

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragor764 View Post
You are right, the tank size is an issue for me as well, I have to bring spare fuel most times I go in the bush
Good stuff. I do that as well!

I looked into getting the aftermarket larger tank, but I didn't like the fact that I would lose clearance as a result. I do take ours off-road, so that's a concern.