Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-21-2019, 09:39 AM

Default who still hunts with a 16 gauge

was just curious
who still hunts with a 16 gauge??
what make and model?
would you mind to please post a picture of what you use??
and what type of game birds do you use on mostly ?
for some strange reason I have an attraction to 16 gauge shotguns
and would like to know more about them and here the pro's and con's of hunting with one
shoot where their
going not where they been,
Old 11-21-2019, 09:49 AM

I use a 16 gauge Grulla 216RB SxS on occasion for sharptail grouse and pheasants. I wasn't really looking for a 16 gauge, but I came across a great deal on a used one. As far as pros and cons, the selection of shotshells available is much more limited than for 12 gauge or 20 gauge. As far as cost, the loads that I use for hunting cost about the same regardless of gauge, and I buy them by the flat , so availability isn't an issue for me.

Old 11-21-2019, 09:51 AM

Few years back when just a young kid had 16 gauge single, duck/mallards by hundreds landed in field around me, when I stood up sky was black with ducks. I shot my one shot more than dozen green heads were on the ground. I was under gunned!
Old 11-21-2019, 09:54 AM

Default sold my Browning 16 years ago

Just wasn't using it often enough. Tended to grab the 20 or even 28 for upland and the 12 for waterfowl. (geese mostly)

Availability of ammo was an issue but I was working at WSS at the time so when they brought the annual load of 16 gauge I bought a flat or two. Most vendors bring in one main ammo load per year and when that is gone they are out for the remainder of the year. 16 and 28 seem to be in lower demand than 20 and 12 so it can be hard to find during hunting season. Get it in august when you see it on shelf.
A friend is trying to talk himself into a 16 o/u right now and I was encouraging him to think about a 20 instead last night.
Old 11-21-2019, 10:12 AM

IMO, most of the people that use 16 ga. have some romantic scenario playing in their head that involves outdoor writers and scotch sipping, tie wearing, pipe smoking slightly past middle age guys sitting by a fire. The ballistics, gun weight, shell availability data does not support this. I am not pooh-poohing the use of these guns but do new gun owners a service and steer them to 20's and 12's.
Old 11-21-2019, 10:35 AM

I use an old cooey for gophers . Single shot . works great when Im bored with the 22 . Pics are too much of a pain here , sorry
Old 11-21-2019, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdbeast View Post
IMO, most of the people that use 16 ga. have some romantic scenario playing in their head that involves outdoor writers and scotch sipping, tie wearing, pipe smoking slightly past middle age guys sitting by a fire. The ballistics, gun weight, shell availability data does not support this. I am not pooh-poohing the use of these guns but do new gun owners a service and steer them to 20's and 12's.
Hmmm I've never smoked a pipe and never will. Scotch, I'm working on it. Still in training mode.

But I've always have a fondness for the 16. I think it is the perfect upland gun. I keep my eyes open, but have to make sure it doesn't cause too much marital strain so just looking....for now.
Old 11-21-2019, 12:00 PM

I sometimes use a very old Lefauchaux underlever 16 black powder cartridge gun.
I also have owned several modern guns in 16
Cat
Old 11-21-2019, 12:17 PM

I bought a real nice cooey 84 single shot from an older fella. Bought a few boxes of ammo and put them all in my gun cabinet. I think it has come out once. Thought was to use it for Grouse hunting but my go to is the 20GA.
Old 11-21-2019, 12:22 PM

I inherited my grandfathers Browning A5 16 gauge. Used it the odd time shooting pigeons in the yard and some sporting clays. Not a real fan of it myself. I’d rather shoot a 12 guage.
Old 11-21-2019, 12:22 PM
Gone Hunting

I have a Mossberg 190 KA that I hunt Geese with.

This is the second 16 gauge I've owned. The first one was a Brazilian made break action single shot I bought new when I was 17 years old.
I lost that one to a so called friend. It's a long story.

I chose the 16 gauge back then for the lighter recoil, and like it today for the same reason.

I don't drink whiskey and I don't smoke a pipe. And I don't hunt upland with a shotgun.

The only downside to the 16 is ammo availability and selection.

One could say it also requires a higher degree of skill to use successfully and although there may be some truth to that, in my experience the difference in required skill levels is negotiable compared to a 12 gauge.

The one big plus is less kick. All other things considered it compares very favorably with other gauge shotguns.

The 16 gauge I have now has one other plus to my way of thinking. It has a factory twist to select type veritable choke.

I can adjust the pattern on the fly if I wish to, no tubes to cross thread or loose, no tools needed, just a simple twist of the collar is all that is needed.

This shotgun came to me as one of a pair of badly neglected bolt action Mossbergs. The other one is a 20 gauge 185.

I restored them both but hardly ever use the twenty gauge.

I also have a 12 gauge single shot Cooey but it kicks like a angry cayuse.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 11-21-2019, 01:53 PM

I have a sauer 3000 drilling in 7x65r 16g 16g, with removable .22lr insert in one of the 16g barrels. Will try and post pics. I love the 16g, somethig between the 12 and 20 and perfect for birds.
Old 11-21-2019, 02:52 PM

Default 16 gauge

I love the 16 gauge for pheasant . Very hard to find good pheasant loads compared to a 12 gauge thought
Old 11-21-2019, 03:14 PM

Default who still hunts with a 16 gauge

I hunt with a AYA #2 round body SxS 16 ga that looks virtually identical to elkhunter11's Grulla pictured several posts above. My wife has one as well. Also have an old beater M12 with a Polychoke on it. I buy ammo now and again but generally shoot reloads. I even loaded up about 50 Bismuth non-tox #6 shot size loads this year. Shot a few birds (quail, pheasants & huns) with them down in WA and OR when I had to use it around reservoirs, etc. The factory non-tox stuff I have is loaded hot and not pleasant to use in a light SxS.

Really like the 16 ga for an upland gun....but the practical side of me says just buy a 20 ga and be happy.....which I have (a Grulla SxS) but I like the 16 better!
Old 11-21-2019, 03:42 PM

Default 16 gauge

Picked up a Browning A5 'Sweet 16' - too late for pheasant this year, but took a few chickens with #6 shot.

Old 11-21-2019, 07:23 PM

16 is a real European gun. They shot everything with them. The 12 bore is considered American.

Drilling are popular where you only own one gun.
Old 11-22-2019, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post
I have a Mossberg 190 KA that I hunt Geese with.

I also have a 12 gauge single shot Cooey but it kicks like a angry cayuse.
Hahahaha, this is exactly the gun I used and like Keg, I started out with a Cooey single shot 12 guage......wowww did that ever kick....and still does.

We have two lives: The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.