Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-18-2019, 06:42 AM

Default A Great 3 Day's With the boy's

Spent 3 days this week with an couple old buddies and their boy's trying to help them fill some draws right here near home, one had a Mule Buck draw and the other had a Moose draw, man what a hoot, I forgot how much fun it is to get out in the farm land and push bush and hunt slough bottoms, had an absolute blast, first day the one lad got a nice Mule deer, it was his first and he will have to go a long way to top it I think.
Buck (2).jpg

While we were working on the Mulie we pushed out 5 moose and one was a decent young bull, once we finished taking care of the deer we got a hold of the other group to head over to where we had seen the moose, told them we have a good chance of getting the lad his moose if we all worked together on pushing the bush.
20191116_082713 (2).jpg

They headed over to a meeting point, we made a plan to push the bush that they went into a couple hours earlier hope they would still be in there, ooppss no moose, off to the next bush, again no moose, was starting to get late in the day so we decided that the next push would be the last for that day, if we didn't get him we would come back the next day and take another crack at it, it worked just like planned, we pushed the bull out within 75 yards of the lad and even though he said he was shaking like a leaf he managed to get a round in him and knocked him down, drilled him in the neck.
Moose (3).jpg

Spent the next couple days looking for whitetails, saw plenty but nothing that I would put a tag on, guess i'm to selective, I want a big mature buck or nothing. It was really a great 3 day's, the weather was good, saw lots of animals and the boy's are home happy with tags filled, and us old boy's well we're tired, stiff and sore but it feels darn good

Anyway hope you enjoyed the read, take care and be safe,
Good luck to all you that have tags to fill yet

Ed

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 11-18-2019, 07:09 AM

Ed, that is a great 3 days. Congrats. So much fun watching the young guys make out good. That's been the story of my season too.
Old 11-18-2019, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldedw View Post
Spent 3 days this week with an couple old buddies and their boy's trying to help them fill some draws right here near home, one had a Mule Buck draw and the other had a Moose draw, man what a hoot, I forgot how much fun it is to get out in the farm land and push bush and hunt slough bottoms, had an absolute blast, first day the one lad got a nice Mule deer, it was his first and he will have to go a long way to top it I think.
Attachment 159124

While we were working on the Mulie we pushed out 5 moose and one was a decent young bull, once we finished taking care of the deer we got a hold of the other group to head over to where we had seen the moose, told them we have a good chance of getting the lad his moose if we all worked together on pushing the bush.
Attachment 159125

They headed over to a meeting point, we made a plan to push the bush that they went into a couple hours earlier hope they would still be in there, ooppss no moose, off to the next bush, again no moose, was starting to get late in the day so we decided that the next push would be the last for that day, if we didn't get him we would come back the next day and take another crack at it, it worked just like planned, we pushed the bull out within 75 yards of the lad and even though he said he was shaking like a leaf he managed to get a round in him and knocked him down, drilled him in the neck.
Attachment 159126

Spent the next couple days looking for whitetails, saw plenty but nothing that I would put a tag on, guess i'm to selective, I want a big mature buck or nothing. It was really a great 3 day's, the weather was good, saw lots of animals and the boy's are home happy with tags filled, and us old boy's well we're tired, stiff and sore but it feels darn good

Anyway hope you enjoyed the read, take care and be safe,
Good luck to all you that have tags to fill yet

Ed

Wow, what a great looking moose. One day. Although not Alberta, I don't think as a non native alien I can put in for a moose draw under hunter host in any units?
Old 11-18-2019, 10:56 AM

Great Story. Glad to see the young fellow be successful.

Scolopax

You could literally hunt Moose every year anywhere in Canada as long as you are willing to pay for an outfitted hunt. No draw required. If you hunted NFLD, Ontario, Quebec Alberta, Yukon and NWT and B.C. you could literally hunt 7 moose a year in prime Moose Country.
Old 11-18-2019, 11:01 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Thumbs up

well done!

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 11-18-2019, 11:14 AM

A great day is right. Good as it gets. Awesome
Old 11-18-2019, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post

Scolopax

You could literally hunt Moose every year anywhere in Canada as long as you are willing to pay for an outfitted hunt. No draw required. If you hunted NFLD, Ontario, Quebec Alberta, Yukon and NWT and B.C. you could literally hunt 7 moose a year in prime Moose Country.
Sorry, I should have said, yeah I realise I could do it through an outfitter, but the cost is just so prohibitive. A hunter host trip every few years for bear, whitetail etc is much more affordable and I guess I prefer coming over more often over saving like crazy for just one trip.

If anyone has suggestions on moose outfitters for aliens who won't cost the earth it is a dream to do it one day!
Old 11-18-2019, 03:30 PM

That’s an awesome 3 days! Great story
Old 11-18-2019, 05:34 PM

That is a fantastic mule deer, not likely to find one of that calibre every season. Or every ten. Nice moose as well. Congratulations on a great hunt.
Old 11-18-2019, 09:03 PM

Wow, that muley is wicked, love the stickers..
Nice moose as well, good hunt fellers, thx for sharin.
Old 11-18-2019, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayseed View Post
Wow, that muley is wicked, love the stickers..
Nice moose as well, good hunt fellers, thx for sharin.
x2

Congrats!
Old 11-20-2019, 10:17 PM

Very cool muley. Nice you guys were able to have success!