Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 05-27-2015, 10:30 PM

Default Number of Suffield elk tags

Does anyone out there know how many elk ( more specifically, antlered elk) tags are going to be awarded during this years season(s)? I'm already putting gear together, haha!
Old 05-27-2015, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boonedocks View Post
Does anyone out there know how many elk ( more specifically, antlered elk) tags are going to be awarded during this years season(s)? I'm already putting gear together, haha!
Never know what's been alotted until the draw process is complete.

LC
Old 05-27-2015, 10:59 PM

The proposed hunt was to be six seasons with one hundred antlered licences per season, six hundred in total.

I see that they were able to squeeze in a seventh season. I suspect there will still be a hundred licences per season, seven hundred in total.

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 05-27-2015, 11:42 PM

so with all these new seasons anyone have a guess on priority? we were looking at 10-12 years around the base so if we spread things out with the new season what does everyone think were looking at, 7-8 years?
Old 05-27-2015, 11:56 PM

I was on this years hunt. What was let slip by base personnel was that SRD wants to do a full lottery. No priority. So even if you have a P10 , don't go assembling gear just yet.
With the February season of trying out 125 hunters with 2 tags each...... Who knows what they will give out 2016.
Old 05-28-2015, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mateo View Post
I was on this years hunt. What was let slip by base personnel was that SRD wants to do a full lottery. No priority. So even if you have a P10 , don't go assembling gear just yet.
With the February season of trying out 125 hunters with 2 tags each...... Who knows what they will give out 2016.
The draw book is already out online, and it is on priority basis.
Old 05-28-2015, 12:46 AM

Default Yikes

Just a personal experience slash oh boy. Anyone with a priority 10 hoping for a 350 class bull is in trouble. Suffield is wrecked. Maybe a dozen booners left and they know Block Safety.
Have been there sine 1999. It is what it is. Good luck to all.
Old 05-28-2015, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mateo View Post
The proposed hunt has always been to use the priority system, and it will be. That has already been confirmed in the Draw Booklet.

There will also be seven seasons for antlerless elk. The proposal was to have six seasons with 200 licences per season valid for two elk, totalling 1200 tags. I suspect there will be 1400 tags issued on 700 licences.

Even with a 100% success rate for 2000 tags the harvest will be just enough to start to reducing the herd size by 10-15%.

Those hunters that draw outside the base should benefit from the increased pressure within Suffield.

I expect that a P 9 will suffice to draw an Antlered Elk Suffield licence, some with fewer points will probably draw as well.
Next year, even less points will be required....

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 05-28-2015, 07:33 AM

3. Upon checking out, heads from all harvested animals must be
submitted for Chronic Wasting Disease testing. Please remove heads in
the field to facilitate the Check-Out procedure.

The note above comes from the draw book for the new Suffield Base antlered elk draw.

Question - If you want to do a shoulder mount do you need to possess the skills necessary to cape your "once in a lifetime trophy" before leaving the base and what are your options if you just want to do a euro? Thanks.

I hope I can get my taxidermist to accompany me on the hunt.
Old 05-28-2015, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livinthedream View Post
3. Upon checking out, heads from all harvested animals must be
submitted for Chronic Wasting Disease testing. Please remove heads in
the field to facilitate the Check-Out procedure.

The note above comes from the draw book for the new Suffield Base antlered elk draw.

Question - If you want to do a shoulder mount do you need to possess the skills necessary to cape your "once in a lifetime trophy" before leaving the base and what are your options if you just want to do a euro? Thanks.

I hope I can get my taxidermist to accompany me on the hunt.
I heard this year no heads can leave the base

LC
Old 05-28-2015, 07:49 AM
Banned

There will be a lot of long faces on the first few hunts when they find out the Indians went in a month prior and have, either everything dead, or flushed into the no hunting zones.

This new hunt is the cherry on top of this provinces short term thinking and continual resident hunter screw over

Thank you.
Old 05-28-2015, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deer Hunter View Post
There will be a lot of long faces on the first few hunts when they find out the Indians went in a month prior and have, either everything dead, or flushed into the no hunting zones.

This new hunt is the cherry on top of this provinces short term thinking and continual resident hunter screw over

Thank you.
Yes there is the "unknown" factor as well....

LC
Old 05-28-2015, 09:34 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddeerhunter View Post
Just a personal experience slash oh boy. Anyone with a priority 10 hoping for a 350 class bull is in trouble. Suffield is wrecked. Maybe a dozen booners left and they know Block Safety.
Have been there sine 1999. It is what it is. Good luck to all.
^^^ Your information is void, a dozen booners is laughable at best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
The proposed hunt has always been to use the priority system, and it will be. That has already been confirmed in the Draw Booklet.

There will also be seven seasons for antlerless elk. The proposal was to have six seasons with 200 licences per season valid for two elk, totalling 1200 tags. I suspect there will be 1400 tags issued on 700 licences.

Even with a 100% success rate for 2000 tags the harvest will be just enough to start to reducing the herd size by 10-15%.

Those hunters that draw outside the base should benefit from the increased pressure within Suffield.

I expect that a P 9 will suffice to draw an Antlered Elk Suffield licence, some with fewer points will probably draw as well.
There will never be a 100% success rate and this cull is beyond doing anything but pizzing money up a rope sustaining numbers at best. This reintroduction of elk is the worst case of mismanagement that Alberta has ever seen.

Quote:

Thank you.
The carded individuals are helping the cause here, not hindering IMO. They are welcomed by most private land owners in this area.
Old 05-28-2015, 09:45 AM
Banned

Quote:

Thank you.
i would hope that they learned from the last fiasco that hunting needs to be fair for everyone
Old 05-28-2015, 09:58 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish_e_o View Post
i would hope that they learned from the last fiasco that hunting needs to be fair for everyone
The elk in suffield could have been properly planned into a true "hunt" but instead due to lack of foresight into the obvious population growth, the possible hunt turned into a cull.
Don't confuse the two, even though srd makes no distinction, the experience is completely different imo.
Add Indians with elevated rights... a world class resource is wrecked and province wide precedents get set.

100 guys, plus however many Indians decide to show up, chasing elk for 2 day seasons is still a cull imo. It will eliminate a bunch of high priorities though.
Old 05-28-2015, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
If the cypress hills hunts are any indication, the first hunt will get the most applicants, the mid hunts will quite possibly draw lower and are the best bet for someone trying to stretch a low priority. It will definitely clean up some high priority points.

Season 1 for bulls will be an interesting adventure on the base for sure.
Old 05-28-2015, 10:26 AM
Banned

Quote:
100 guys, plus however many Indians decide to show up, chasing elk for 2 day seasons is still a cull imo. It will eliminate a bunch of high priorities though.
oh i wont be blowing my wad on a 2 day hunt i'll tell you that for sure. 10 years in the least i should settle for is a month
Old 05-28-2015, 10:28 AM

Quote:
The elk in suffield could have been properly planned into a true "hunt" but instead due to lack of foresight into the obvious population growth, the possible hunt turned into a cull.
Don't confuse the two, even though srd makes no distinction, the experience is completely different imo.
Add Indians with elevated rights... a world class resource is wrecked and province wide precedents get set.

X1000!!

They didn't do an damn thing about herd management until landowners started to complain and there were 10,000 animals.

Just another example of wildlife mismanagement in Alberta and specifically Southern Alberta. Does anyone remember the Cypress Hills cougar fiasco???
Old 05-28-2015, 11:11 AM

I don't blame landowners one bit who allow native hunters to assist....when you have 1000 elk eating your winter feed stock with no open season, who you gonna call?? What are the options at that time of the year?

LC
Old 05-28-2015, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
I don't blame landowners one bit who allow native hunters to assist....when you have 1000 elk eating your winter feed stock with no open season, who you gonna call?? What are the options at that time of the year?

LC
A fencing company!?!?...
Old 05-28-2015, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snap Shot View Post
A fencing company!?!?...
Bahaha. Well it will be interesting. 600 guys looking for big bulls who have waited a decade or more....not sure how fun that will be.
Old 05-28-2015, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertabighorn View Post
Bahaha. Well it will be interesting. 600 guys looking for big bulls who have waited a decade or more....not sure how fun that will be.
Well 600 spread over 6 separate dates... The block still has the highest density of elk and lots of jumbos still to be found.If managed correctly this could of been a dream for albertans & a bench mark on wildlife management.

Im not gonna lie im sitting with a P9 and the stories i have heard of of bachelor groups of 30+ bulls and 5 within that group are over 350" get me excited.

I have seen what was outside, I can only imagine whats growing inside...

I cant think it could be any worse of a zoo, then what the peace country has turned into...

I am uncertain if im going 999 or throw my hat into the "ring" for the first ever antlered elk special license for the block.It still would be something to see thats forsure!!
Old 05-28-2015, 11:59 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertabighorn View Post
The least that will happen is they chase more elk out of the block onto private land. Pizzing the landowners off even more.
Old 05-28-2015, 12:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntwat View Post
The least that will happen is they chase more elk out of the block onto private land. Pizzing the landowners off even more.
Bingo, the amount of lands that have been closed this past couple years here is sad... Those who choose to call this area home and enjoy our passion really don't get excited about this fiasco.
Old 05-28-2015, 01:11 PM

[QUOTE=Deer Hunter;2847883]There will be a lot of long faces on the first few hunts when they find out the Indians went in a month prior and have, either everything dead, or flushed into the no hunting zones.

And you know this because of your crystal ball or maybe you have a flying DeLorean.
Old 05-28-2015, 01:35 PM

Default Too bad

Quote:

Well do they want them killed or dont they? Cant complain because theres too many elk and then complain cause guys are out shootin em????

I live 70km Southwest of the base and I am glad they were intoduced there. We see them in our area now which is cool.

Looper

Last edited by Looper; 05-28-2015 at 02:03 PM.
Old 05-28-2015, 01:37 PM

Default What lands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafy View Post
Bingo, the amount of lands that have been closed this past couple years here is sad... Those who choose to call this area home and enjoy our passion really don't get excited about this fiasco.

Whats lands are you referring to? I was on a trophy hunt around the base and the landowners were great as far as permission.

There have been hunts around the base for many years. I think the elk just did a little better than anyone thought they would.

To bad you werent in charge from the beginning then it would all be perfect!!

Quit whining because you arent the first one allowed to hunt bulls on the base.

Looper
Old 05-28-2015, 01:40 PM

Default Ever been there?

Quote:

Spoken like a guy whos never seen the base.

NWA and Off limits area are where they ran to when I was there. Not onto privite propery. Its 2700 sq/kms for Pete's sake.

Looper
Old 05-28-2015, 01:42 PM

Default Really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by smith88 View Post
X1000!!

They didn't do an damn thing about herd management until landowners started to complain and there were 10,000 animals.

Just another example of wildlife mismanagement in Alberta and specifically Southern Alberta. Does anyone remember the Cypress Hills cougar fiasco???

How do you know? There's been elk hunting in the 4 WMU's around the base for years.

Sounds like you're a little envious of the guys with enough priority to be on the first round of hunts.

Poor guy.

Looper
Old 05-28-2015, 01:43 PM

Default Excellent!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish_e_o View Post
oh i wont be blowing my wad on a 2 day hunt i'll tell you that for sure. 10 years in the least i should settle for is a month

Looking forward to NOT seeing you there.

Looper