Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-15-2018, 10:26 AM
Banned

Default Thinking about a jet boat

Been tossing the idea around for a few years, still on the fence about taking the plunge. I've got a 17' Lund pro sport that's been an extremely fun and reliable boat, but with the boys getting bigger I'm thinking about getting a bit bigger boat. Always wanted a jet boat but have shy'd away because of maintenance and cost of operating compared to a regular outboard motor.

Can anyone enlighten me on the facts about running a newer jet boat with like a 200 or 240 merc optimax engine? Or maybe suggest a more efficient engine to run? I'd like a boat in the 19'-21' range, something I can camp in and an open bow. I don't want to buy new, $60-$90k is definetly not in the budget, I'd like to get the most I can out of $40k max.

Last edited by Kurt505; 05-15-2018 at 10:44 AM.
Old 05-15-2018, 10:49 AM

Are you talking about a boat to replace your current one and will primarily use it on lakes? I would only buy a jet boat if you are primarily going to fish the river.

Edit: Just remembered there are a couple lake version jet boats available like seadoo jet boats. Don't know of any for fishing though?
Old 05-15-2018, 10:55 AM
Banned

I want a duel purpose, lake/river boat. I realize it won't be the best for both worlds, something I can take on the Fraser or the Shuswap. From what I've researched a 12 degree hull is kinda what would work best.

Not fiberglass
Old 05-15-2018, 11:16 AM

I guess some guys have had luck with sportjets but I've heard a few first hand horror stories. One guy at Slave Lake a couple years ago had a brand new set up. Engine cratered on first trip. Another person in BC had to get a new sportjet flown in by helicopter c/w mechanic. Mine had a 350 chev and it was no worse on fuel than my 150 4 stroke outboard. It was reliable & easy to maintain. Burned 6 to 8 gallons an hour. If I was to do it again I would likely be looking at a 150 converted to a jet on an 18 or 19 foot boat. Other things to consider are.
Make sure your windshield is high enough so you don't have to duck to look through.
An open bow or sunken bow is nice for anchor retrieval
A flat dash is nice for mounting electronics. Mine wasn't & it was a pain
If inboard a doghouse style engine cover is great for fishing
Lots of things to consider.
Old 05-15-2018, 11:46 AM

I can just see You, lying in bed bored of watching old movies until you watched night at the Roxbury.
I SHOULD BUY A BOAT!!!!!

I agree, you should!

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 05-15-2018, 12:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
I can just see You, lying in bed bored of watching old movies until you watched night at the Roxbury.
I SHOULD BUY A BOAT!!!!!

I agree, you should!

Hahaha!
Old 05-15-2018, 12:24 PM

Just to let you know... The Alta. govt surplus has a jet boat on auction right now for another 7 days. might be a heck of a deal.

https://surplus.gov.ab.ca/OA/ItemDet...uctionID=14583
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 05-15-2018, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
I want a duel purpose, lake/river boat. I realize it won't be the best for both worlds, something I can take on the Fraser or the Shuswap. From what I've researched a 12 degree hull is kinda what would work best.

Not fiberglass
12 degree would work ok but that is just your typical big river boat so unless you are planning to primarily use it as a river boat it wouldn't be my personal choice.

If you want something better for both I think 16 degree would be worth looking at. You will still be able to run almost anywhere on bigger rivers like the Fraser, Athabasca or even NSR and it should handle rougher water and lakes better too.

If it is mainly the Fraser you are interested in doing and you are not that interested in NSR etc I would just get a lake boat and be careful where you go. There are lots of spots you could easily fish with an outboard out there just need to be a bit careful when beaching fish.

If you have the space you could just get a river boat for at home and use your lake boat when at the Fraser(assuming you want to do it and Shuswap at same time).

Just ideas, if you are going to spend most of your time on lakes I would prefer a Lund Tyee or something like that rather then compromising just to be able to fish a river once in a while.
Old 05-15-2018, 01:06 PM

You couldn't handle a BMX, are you sure you want something with a large motor behind it?

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 05-15-2018, 03:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostguy6 View Post
You couldn't handle a BMX, are you sure you want something with a large motor behind it?
Hahaha!

I'll get my boy to get his boating license and just ride co-pilot.
Old 05-15-2018, 03:20 PM

The biggest problem Kurt is then it is not great on the river and worse on the lakes, no comparison to a deep v boat when the waves come up.
They burn twice the fuel, so be prepared to pay for way more gas,
They are hard to run in a straight line when trolling with a trolling motor because the hull is a lot more flat.
But I understand looking for a dual purpose boat so you can do both, understand a jet does not steer well without some power going to the jet drive, so navigating a small creek slow speed is a no go, you need to go fast(think small river getting into a big lake)
200HP jet drive is like having a 150HP prop so don't expect the same performance as a 200HP out board.
But it is a lot of fun on the river, big toss up for sure. I am a lake guy and like my deep v, but I fish with buddies that have cross over jet drives, and been in a few dedicated river boats, they are all fun.
Old 05-15-2018, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostguy6 View Post
Omg!!!!! LMAO!!!!!

I think I have just set the new world record for distance of beer spewed outa the nostrils !!!!

Now that was funny, sorry Kurt, long day in the patch, and had a good laugh.

Sorry for the derail, hope you are feelin better, and find a nice boat!!