Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 05-15-2019, 09:40 PM

Default recommend a good air rifle shop in Edmonton

Thinking I might like to get a good quality air rifle but not sure where to start
Old 05-15-2019, 09:54 PM

https://fxairguns.com/rifles/the-impact/ airarmshuntingsa on YouTube has some really good videos of his airgun hunting and pest controle. Wish I had his scope and camera budget.
Old 05-15-2019, 09:59 PM

Default Not sure Edmonton has one

If you want quality European made stuff like AirArms, BSA, Webley, Weihrauch or RWS Diana, you'll have to look out of province. D&L Airgun of Langley BC has a decent selection.
Google searches ought to reveal several other shops in Canada.

Are you thinking PCP or Springer?
Old 05-15-2019, 10:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOAhunter View Post
If you want quality European made stuff like AirArms, BSA, Webley, Weihrauch or RWS Diana, you'll have to look out of province. D&L Airgun of Langley BC has a decent selection.
Google searches ought to reveal several other shops in Canada.

Are you thinking PCP or Springer?
X2 Purchased lots from D&L. Good prices and the service is top notch.
Old 05-15-2019, 10:22 PM

There’s no air rifle shops in Edmonton or Alberta, some gun stores carry air rifles but most will be non-pal. The main air gun dealers in Canada are D&L, airgun source and Canada shooting supply, there are other dealers but they’re smaller. Essentially do a bunch of research and see if there’s anyone in the area with what you decide on and see if you can try it out.

How much do you want to spend is going to be the starting question, followed by what do you want to do with it?
Old 05-15-2019, 10:47 PM

These used to be a shop of 51st in Edm, but they are gone now they say.
Guns and amo online out of Ontario may still be in business, not sure.
I ordered a refurb Crossman nitro piston 177 from then 3-4 yrs back, $229 shipped.
Pretty fast at 1100 FPS, it’s a loud as a 22 short, but surprisingly accurate.
OP is likely looking for higher end, but thought I’d post on my Crossman anyways.

TBark
Old 05-16-2019, 01:44 AM

The online shop out of Ontario is Scopes and Ammo, still in business it seems.

TBark
Old 05-16-2019, 05:40 AM

Anschutz Target or Hunting air guns - try Nordic Marksman. I do not know of any place in Alberta that carries high end air guns.

http://www.nordicmarksman.com/Air-Rifles.html
Old 05-16-2019, 05:37 PM

Whoa maybe I am barking up the wrong tree, definitely out of my league price wise. I guess I will wander off to Cabela's lol. I had no idea
Old 05-16-2019, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleboy View Post
Whoa maybe I am barking up the wrong tree, definitely out of my league price wise. I guess I will wander off to Cabela's lol. I had no idea
A couple of weeks ago, I spoke with a chap at the Range shooting a PCP rig topped with a Nightforce scope...he mentioned $5K was sitting on the bench. Guess he didn’t have the compressor/tank with him
Old 05-16-2019, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 260 Rem View Post
A couple of weeks ago, I spoke with a chap at the Range shooting a PCP rig topped with a Nightforce scope...he mentioned $5K was sitting on the bench. Guess he didn’t have the compressor/tank with him
Yeah that chap was shooting pigeons/crow/gophers at up to 105 yards.
Saw the videos of pigeons going down from silo at 95 yards.

how can I put that video here??
Old 05-16-2019, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Check out the crossman shockwave 177 Pal required that Cabelas sells.They are often on sale for 169 bucks or so. Scope is crap but open sights are excellent. I have decked magpies at 45 yds with it.
Old 05-16-2019, 09:46 PM

I believe the problem is people are confusing good quality with high end, high end is in a different league. You’re best off starting with a price point and an idea of what you want to use it for (target or hunting), from there we can point you in a good direction.

If you want to do primarily target shooting with small pest bird shooting look at the .177 caliber, it’s flat shooting, cheap to shoot and there’s a huge selection of pellets to choose from in order to find one that a gun likes.

If you’re wanting one for “hunting” and fur covered pests look at .22 caliber, better retained energy, better in wind and there’s still a large selection to choose from.

Going into the .25, .30, .357/9mm, .45 and .50 cal pretty much require you to step up into the pcp’s, .177 and .22 you can find good guns in nitro pistons that range between $250-$800.

Quote:
Old 05-16-2019, 09:51 PM

One of these days i’ll run into him and we’ll see how his $5k stacks to my $1200, he’ll probably beat me especially at 100m but I don’t have much experience shooting that far, I have put 10 pellets into 5/8” at 50m

Quote:
Originally Posted by 260 Rem View Post
Old 05-16-2019, 10:25 PM

I bought a P1 handgun from airgunsource and they shipped it quickly and it was well packaged. I am now looking into the new FX dreamline because it's a pcp that might be in my price range that can punch out to 100 yards.
Old 05-16-2019, 10:29 PM

Here is a link for pigeon shooting with FX streamline in .25 caliber

https://youtu.be/D1YKpG7sewM
Old 05-16-2019, 10:41 PM

Another link for airgun hunting

https://youtu.be/vgvgru9348Y
Old 05-16-2019, 11:03 PM

I’m fairly confident that a condor can go out to 100m, I know the s410’s can go out that far so the s510’s can too. You have a few options that fall around the $1000 mark, don’t forget a pump or compressor and/or tank (it’ll add $100-$1400 depending on which way you go)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastlatvian View Post
I bought a P1 handgun from airgunsource and they shipped it quickly and it was well packaged. I am now looking into the new FX dreamline because it's a pcp that might be in my price range that can punch out to 100 yards.
Old 05-18-2019, 01:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
Admittedly most of the guns on this site are Olympic and Biathlon rifles...and they truly are amazing. I’ve been at a few Olympic events.
These guys can hit the ‘10’ ring ten out of ten times at 10m.
At first that doesn’t sound impressive...until you realize the ‘10’ ring is the size of a period at the end of this sentence.
Old 05-18-2019, 04:59 PM

Diana 34 or 24 depending if you want pal rated. HW50 is a sweet rig. All of the Weihrauchs are, they would get my vote. Slavia’s are good value too, but harder to find. Go used if you can.