Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-06-2019, 01:27 PM
Banned

Thumbs down BC's Skeena River Shut Down

Thirty-eight Gitxsan Hereditary Chiefs have renewed a ban on recreational salmon fishing in their traditional territory.

“All persons holding recreational fishing permits or fish-guiding licenses are no longer allowed to trespass in Gitxsan territory. People need to know that when they fish here, they are trespassing in controlled territory,” says Brian Williams, Chair of Gigeenix, in a press release.

Like last year, the Hereditary Chiefs say anyone found fishing salmon in their territory will be asked to stop. They claim up to 90 per cent of its members have abstained from harvesting salmon until the numbers return.

Meanwhile an advisory committee, referred to as a Crisis Team by the chiefs, has been meeting with federal and provincial officials to discuss public access to the territory in 2020. They say the ban marks the beginning of an “ambitious journey” to collaborate with the government to create a process where all recreational fishers must have permission from individual chiefs to fish their rivers.

https://www.northernsentinel.com/new...w-fishing-ban/
Old 05-06-2019, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronNoggin View Post
They say the ban marks the beginning of an “ambitious journey” to collaborate with the government to create a process where all recreational fishers must have permission from individual chiefs to fish their rivers.
I read this part as "give us money and we will give you permission".
Old 05-06-2019, 02:16 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Husty View Post
Bingo. So unless you have deeeeep pockets you're SOL.
Old 05-06-2019, 02:18 PM

Quote:
[B]

Like last year, the Hereditary Chiefs say anyone found fishing salmon in their territory will be asked to stop. They claim up to 90 per cent of its members have abstained from harvesting salmon until the numbers return.
Meanwhile 10% of its members still fish and provide for the entire nation

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 05-06-2019, 02:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostguy6 View Post
Meanwhile 10% of its members still fish and provide for the entire nation
Those 10% just fish 90% harder to make up the difference.
Old 05-06-2019, 02:36 PM

So is this on a reservation?
Old 05-06-2019, 02:38 PM
Banned

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokinyotes View Post
So is this on a reservation?
No. "Traditional Territory".
Which both BC and the feds consider anywhere one of their distant ancestors might have left a footprint.

Nog
Old 05-06-2019, 02:49 PM
Banned

Go fishing......
Do not be pushed around.
Record everything.
Catch fish.

These guys are just looking for headlines. They have been trying that crap for years in the area. Notice it said "Hereditary" Chiefs?

Last edited by Jamie; 05-06-2019 at 02:54 PM.
Old 05-06-2019, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Husty View Post
Funny, we are told we can not fish there, yet poaching, illegal sales and decimation of the stock through river netting of spawning salmon goes unchecked. Not funny at all.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 05-06-2019, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
Go fishing......
Do not be pushed around.
Record everything.
Catch fish.

These guys are just looking for headlines. They have been trying that crap for years in the area. Notice it said "Hereditary" Chiefs?
Bingo.

PCFGA on Facebook
Old 05-06-2019, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Go fishing......
Do not be pushed around.
Record everything.
Catch fish.

X2
They can't legally stop you. If you get hassled take pictures and call cops and newspaper.
Old 05-06-2019, 03:47 PM
Banned

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott h View Post
X2
They can't legally stop you. If you get hassled take pictures and call cops and newspaper.
And as per last year, the papers will completely ignore you, the cops will phone their CO buddies to accompany them, and you will be politely (or not so depending on who is a potential witness) asked to remove yourself.

Nog
Old 05-06-2019, 04:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
And as per last year, the papers will completely ignore you, the cops will phone their CO buddies to accompany them, and you will be politely (or not so depending on who is a potential witness) asked to remove yourself.

Nog
Nog, Are you saying the Co's and the RCMP would ask a angler to leave? .
Old 05-06-2019, 04:12 PM

If nets across the river mouth no use fishing anyway.
Old 05-06-2019, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Yes they will pretty common in BC to be done to both anglers and hunters when FN are involved
Old 05-06-2019, 04:22 PM
Banned

Arrow

Quote:
Yes. It has been done many MANY times.

In fact, a couple years back an ex-Mountie (Sargent if I recall correctly) faced down one of the FN blockades, and went through. Wasn't putting up with their BS. He was tracked down by his own, and charged. While he did beat them in court, (it took months and big coin) the actions speak rather loudly to their mindset.

Nog
Old 05-06-2019, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Go fishing......
Do not be pushed around.
Record everything.
Catch fish.

We'll send you in first LOL.

Seriously this situation if allowed to progress will obviously spread like wildfire to other rivers.

With the attitude of the Fed's I really don't see a positive solution for anglers. What a terrible situation Anglers have been put in.
Old 05-06-2019, 04:47 PM
Banned

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Blake View Post
... Seriously this situation if allowed to progress will obviously spread like wildfire to other rivers.
It already has. To the biggest salmon river in BC.

Although the Fraser FN's had been making noise for years, it was last year's Skeena efforts that opened their eyes as to what might be obtainable. And they ran with it. What we end up with is blanket closures for sports and commercial fishers (in well removed areas with minimal or no impact), while the FN's carry on business as usual (no less than SEVEN government sanctioned opening for FN's on threatened / endangered runs since everyone else was forced off the water).

The spread has well started. And all over the coast they are lining up to get in on exerting their influence. All the while both the province & the feds bow to their every wish...

Sad Times,
Nog
Old 05-06-2019, 05:14 PM

Quote:
It already has. To the biggest salmon river in BC.

Although the Fraser FN's had been making noise for years, it was last year's Skeena efforts that opened their eyes as to what might be obtainable. And they ran with it. What we end up with is blanket closures for sports and commercial fishers (in well removed areas with minimal or no impact), while the FN's carry on business as usual (no less than SEVEN government sanctioned opening for FN's on threatened / endangered runs since everyone else was forced off the water).

The spread has well started. And all over the coast they are lining up to get in on exerting their influence. All the while both the province & the feds bow to their every wish...

Sad Times,
Nog
Yikes ! That didn't take long. Look's like a long ,rough ride ahead.

When are the Alberni bunch gonna go full bore ?
Old 05-06-2019, 05:32 PM
Banned

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salavee View Post
When are the Alberni bunch gonna go full bore ?
Thankfully I do not think they will.
They entered into a Round Table management regime wherein they, sporties & commercial folks all sit at the same table. They make concessions between each group for the betterment of the resource and each other. DFO still manages to eff things up from time to time, but it is largely a success story.

Guess they simply didn't let GREED over-run them like so many have...

Nog
Old 05-06-2019, 05:55 PM

Quote:

Seriously this situation if allowed to progress will obviously spread like wildfire to other rivers.

With the attitude of the Fed's I really don't see a positive solution for anglers. What a terrible situation Anglers have been put in.
How long until it spreads to Alberta and anglers are paying FN’s for access to Peerless and Bistcho Lakes and the Bow upstream of Calgary?

Gerry Burnie
Old 05-06-2019, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC View Post
How long until it spreads to Alberta and anglers are paying FN’s for access to Peerless and Bistcho Lakes and the Bow upstream of Calgary?
And they then ban use of highways through the reserves? The snowball effect really makes a guy nervous if they get a victory here.

I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 05-06-2019, 06:31 PM

[QUOTE=Ken07AOVette;3972787]And they then ban use of highways through the reserves? The snowball effect really makes a guy nervous if they get a victory here.[/QUOT

I heard a rumour years ago and it went something like this ..

FN wants full control over the F&W resources. As "stewards of the land" they feel that those resources are rightfully thiers. Period.
When, and if, that day comes, they will be the issuers of any and all licenses to hunt, fish and trap and will set seasons according to how they see fit.

End of Rumour..at least I hope so but not too far to go now.
Old 05-06-2019, 06:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC View Post
Idk if albertans are as spineless as BC people. BC's voting history reflects their population imo and it seems like they would rather be politically correct rather than just correct.

I mean they let the Indians basically claim all the land as their own didn't they? Most of BC is "indian owned". They let an American indian hunt there, they let them illegally block roads. I could be wrong but I doubt albertans would be so "accepting".

Plus if it does happen here I will just hunt like they do, "tradishunally"
Old 05-06-2019, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
And they then ban use of highways through the reserves? The snowball effect really makes a guy nervous if they get a victory here.
Somebody will have to formally challenge this in Court. We all know how that is going to turn out. Years in Court. The Fed's have facilitated this. Not sure what to say except make sure in October your vote goes where your priorities lie.

As previously stated by NCC buckle up here as well. The Fed's have given not only the fuel for this but the gas can and the match!!
Old 05-06-2019, 06:55 PM
Banned

Quote:

I would gladly go first.
The cops can crawl up my azz as deep as they want. They can stay there all the way to the supreme court of Canada. I also know I will have the support of every fish and game person from Coast to coast.
Old 05-06-2019, 06:59 PM

Quote:
I would gladly go first.
The cops can crawl up my azz as deep as they want. They can stay there all the way to the supreme court of Canada. I also know I will have the support of every fish and game person from Coast to coast.
yeah until politics get involved, then you are crucified and not even given a second thought as they find someone to blame and set precedent. Someone high up will be given an ultimatum, and you will lose.

Old 05-06-2019, 07:08 PM

Quote:
I would gladly go first.
Like was mentioned a hunter was arrested for and had RCMP crawl up his azz already. He was dragged to court and cost him a lot of money to be proven not guilty

Yes he got support but not as much as you would hope. I don’t think you will get the results you’re looking for.
Old 05-06-2019, 07:16 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
Like was mentioned a hunter was arrested for and had RCMP crawl up his azz already. He was dragged to court and cost him a lot of money to be proven not guilty

Yes he got support but not as much as you would hope. I don’t think you will get the results you’re looking for.
You would get it on the Skeena for something as simple as fishing out of the town of terrace. My guess is that the Town council would give you a blank CHQ.
Old 05-06-2019, 07:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
yeah until politics get involved, then you are crucified and not even given a second thought as they find someone to blame and set precedent. Someone high up will be given an ultimatum, and you will lose.
I will crawl up on that cross myself. No hesitation at all.
This is a fight that must be fought.