Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 05-01-2019, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnipeHunter View Post
Surprising. I haven't seen any Pre-'64's for less than $900. With this soft market value, what sort of offer do you think a person could negotiate to? Is $600 a possibility for a good 'shooter'?

Isn't the furniture a big part of the Pre-'64 value vs. post '64?
That’s $600 less than they were going for. The stock is only desirable if you are a collector.

-Billy Molls
Old 05-01-2019, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattthegorby View Post
Happy with my S2, but it is a bit of a pig like you guys say. I am with you getting something modest in price before going all out. My gun plans have changed quite a bit after my first season. I discovered I really want to get into sheep hunting and long range shooting.

My S2 will likely get thrown in a chassis for long range, eventually I will pick up something really light like a kimber for hauling around for days on end.
I never really noticed the extra weight with my S2--I'm 6'2"--250 lbs though---so the extra pound is not a concern--great gun, love it. Tikka nice, but like another poster said--too much plastic. Ill take less plastic and more weight anyday
Old 05-01-2019, 09:19 AM

270 is a great cartridge and will take down anything we can hunt in AB.

I started out with a Savage 111. I had it for a few years and then sold it, never liked it, looked and felt cheap and was a crappy shooter in my opinion.

I upgraded to a Weatherby S2 and I really like this one. It is definitely a step up and performs excellent. Yes it's a little more heavier but I actually like this as it decreases the recoil, I definitely noticed this when I changed over form the 111 to the S2.

Look at what you want out the rifle, set a budget and research what's available in that range, then go shoulder them and see which is the best fit for you.

For the money, you can't beat the S2 for performance, quality and accuracy.
Good luck and let us know what you decided!
Old 05-01-2019, 12:10 PM

Buy a Sako...rifles value increases over time, Does everything you will ever need it to do. and your great grand kids will thank you for it.
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 05-01-2019, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.5 shooter View Post
Buy a Sako...rifles value increases over time, Does everything you will ever need it to do. and your great grand kids will thank you for it.
Exactly after working my way through Winchester's Remington's Savages I finally got a Sako couldn't be more happier especially with the caliber 270 win

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 05-01-2019, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobi View Post
I'm not trying to be cheap, but I really don't want to spend the money if I don't have to. As long as I can make the rifle shoot straight, that's all I really care about.

There aren't many rifles out there that won't shoot straight enough for killing critters ... especially big game. If you're hunting in AB I'd go with something on the lighter side if you plan doing any kind of trekking around the hills. Get one that feels good to you and don't skimp on the optic.

Personally, there are so many used rifles out there of good quality I'd have a hard time buying a new one. Like it has been said, you really can't go wrong with a Tikka T3. You can always fondle one in store to see if it suits you then buy used

Happy shopping
Old 05-01-2019, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Great advice here. I actually did this at the home hardware in Coaldale and I nixxed at least 3 rifles just because it didn't feel right. I really did like the weatherby and the remington models they had in stock.

To those that are suggesting Tikka, I just don't want to spend that much money on my first rifle. if I could find one like someone was suggesting on clearance then great but otherwise the Tikka isn't an option.

Big mistake, but it's your decision to make. You can buy a Savage Axis for probably $200 if you want a cheap tool, if you want at least a little bit of quality you can spend a little more by buying a used firearm that was built with higher standards.

The Tikka is getting a lot of support for a reason.
Old 05-02-2019, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Great advice here. I actually did this at the home hardware in Coaldale and I nixxed at least 3 rifles just because it didn't feel right. I really did like the weatherby and the remington models they had in stock.

To those that are suggesting Tikka, I just don't want to spend that much money on my first rifle. if I could find one like someone was suggesting on clearance then great but otherwise the Tikka isn't an option.
I'm a Tikka guy as well, first rifle was a Tikka and my current most used rifle is a T3X, Tikka being extremely lefty friendly also is part of the equation for me.

I'm going to assume you're RH, for a couple hundred less I'd purchase a Howa 1500, if you're looking entry level grab a Savage in your price range, it will shoot.
Old 05-02-2019, 01:15 AM

My thoughts are based on what I own, I got rid of an old parker hale in 270 because I used it to trade up to a browning BBR, which they no longer make, it is a heavy rifle, very accurate, and with the nine locking lugs it is a solid lock up and I have taken it way up on pressures while learning what it likes and what it will take.
Then I throttled it down to get tighter groups, if I could get another i would, I missed out on one in 7mm mag I wanted recently, so I like them, but I also shoot 25/06 in an old 70's Remington and it has never failed me and is also very accurate, and of course I also own Rugers, which I like in various calibers, but my first two were in 300 win mag, but they were the tang safety, I do not care for the newer ones, I look for the tang safety every time.

So those are the three models I like.
Old 05-02-2019, 03:44 AM

It's a buyers market right now on used firearms,,, so long as you put in the time...

I've been a fan of X brand of rifles for many years, and I'm particular about what I want them chambered in...

So taking my time has once again paided off looking around at a few firearm web sights as well as the local sporting goods shops...

A beautiful LH wood stock unit came home with me 2 weeks ago,,, the blue-ing is a bit faded on the end of the barrel only... The rifling,,, crown and cone/ lands are in immaculate condition.

The factory trigger sucks,,, so I have a new target trigger coming in the next few days. I seen on this forum that there was a sale,,, so I decided to phone around checking prices with the folks I always do business with.... Be darned if I didn't end up with a waaaaay bellow bargain sales price that most shooters would envy...

And no,,, its not a T,,, Ha.

Another savings was in the optic department... Life time warranty Leopold at bottom bucket savings... The warranty folks will do the work over and add the Leopold dial up / down system at a very frugal price...

I'll be into this unit with a mid-size cartridge,,, super smooth trigger,,, long distance optic below the $1000 price range just by taking my time and looking around...

Of course this unit won't be a Golden dragon rifle for looks since I'm going to let it turn rusty brown,,, it will be a straight shooting Hooligon Rad unit when its done... Ha...

Its all about letting this rifle age gracefully to match my shooting sports and hunting days... Hopefully it gets some nicks and chips along the ways as well,,, kinda like the """Old Engine that Could""" story... LOL

Any-who,,, I'm sure you'll find what your looking for,,, the unit is out there,,, the trick is finding the one that suits your fancy...

👍
Old 05-02-2019, 09:18 AM

If you care enough to ask for advice, then you should save up and buy quality. If you simply want a practical tool for bagging deer for meat, even a Savage Axis, Wichester XPR, Browning AB3, or Ruger American will do the trick.

Based on my experience with owning way to many guns, if you are going to want a rifle that you will take pride in, and that will stand the test of time, you will save hundreds to thousands by buying quality the first time. Set your budget at $1,000-$2,000 as there are no free rides.

And yeah, I like Sako.
Old 05-02-2019, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SakoShooter View Post
If you care enough to ask for advice, then you should save up and buy quality. If you simply want a practical tool for bagging deer for meat, even a Savage Axis, Wichester XPR, Browning AB3, or Ruger American will do the trick.

Based on my experience with owning way to many guns, if you are going to want a rifle that you will take pride in, and that will stand the test of time, you will save hundreds to thousands by buying quality the first time. Set your budget at $1,000-$2,000 as there are no free rides.

And yeah, I like Sako.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckShooter View Post
Big mistake, but it's your decision to make. You can buy a Savage Axis for probably $200 if you want a cheap tool, if you want at least a little bit of quality you can spend a little more by buying a used firearm that was built with higher standards.

The Tikka is getting a lot of support for a reason.
I'm not trying to be rude here but are you guys honestly saying that a Remington 700 or a Weatherby Vanguard S2 for around 800 aren't good enough and I need to spend hundreds (or nearly twice) more or I won't be happy with it? Are you saying the Weatherby and the Remingtons aren't quality rifles?

I care enough to ask advice because I'm a logical thinker and anything I spend money on I spend my own time on researching. I haven't heard anything other than better quality for Sako/Tikka but no examples as to WHAT is actually better quality. Same thinking goes with Stereos... Sony is a good brand but it doesn't mean I can't find something of the same quality for less money because it's a different brand.

What, specifically, is better about Tikka/Sako other than the "name"?

Also, anything I spend money on I take pride in whether I spend hundreds or thousands.

Last edited by Gobi; 05-02-2019 at 10:36 AM.
Old 05-02-2019, 10:40 AM

Quote:
I'm not trying to be rude here but are you guys honestly saying that a Remington 700 or a Weatherby Vanguard S2 for around 800 aren't good enough and I need to spend hundreds (or nearly twice) more or I won't be happy with it? Are you saying the Weatherby and the Remingtons aren't quality rifles?

I care enough to ask advice because I'm a logical thinker and anything I spend money on I spend my own time on researching. I haven't heard anything other than better quality for Sako/Tikka but no examples as to WHAT is actually better quality. Same thinking goes with Stereos... Sony is a good brand but it doesn't mean I can't find something of the same quality for less money because it's a different brand.

Cheaper guns will shoot bullets and function at a satisfactory level most of the time. They are built with minimum labor and cut corners with materials and machining where possible. They will have poor triggers, rougher actions, rougher fitting together of the parts, and the materials will fail sooner, or in those colder temperatures will freeze up and fail to perform completely.

Do your research on designs. Some of the newer cheaper ideas out there are not worth the cost saving.
Old 05-02-2019, 11:01 AM

Savage 110 with Accustock will last you many years with great accuracy. They are a tad heavy but overall great gun. Fantastic stock (yes, the stock matters)

They are $890 at cabelas but they offer a 10% rebate. Also, the rebate comes in USD so it's a win-win.
Old 05-02-2019, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwolf View Post
Savage 110 with Accustock will last you many years with great accuracy. They are a tad heavy but overall great gun. Fantastic stock (yes, the stock matters)

They are $890 at cabelas but they offer a 10% rebate. Also, the rebate comes in USD so it's a win-win.
Appreciate the input. The weight of the gun hasn't really been a factor in my decision making mainly because I know I won't be spending a ridiculous amount of money and, at the moment, I am willing to give up the weight.

How would you compare the Savage to say the Weatherby? Only reason I'm asking is because I already own a Weatherby Vanguard S2 in 223 and I love how it feels. Sure it's heavy, but it's comfortable for my cheek and arm/hand placements.
Old 05-02-2019, 01:25 PM

With the adjustable stock you are sure to make the gun very comfortable for yourself. Its basically a custom fit for you. In fact when I'm shooting my buddies tikka all I can think about it how great the accustock feels. My rifle was hard to find the right ammo for but now I just squeak in sub moa. Plenty good enough for me.

I would highly recommend the gun, when you experience the custom fit you just wont want anything else.
Old 05-02-2019, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwolf View Post
With the adjustable stock you are sure to make the gun very comfortable for yourself. Its basically a custom fit for you. In fact when I'm shooting my buddies tikka all I can think about it how great the accustock feels. My rifle was hard to find the right ammo for but now I just squeak in sub moa. Plenty good enough for me.

I would highly recommend the gun, when you experience the custom fit you just wont want anything else.
I just looked a little more closely at the Savage 110 and it looks like a really great rifle to start off with! Custom stock (essentially) with many different combinations and a great trigger? Sign me up!
Old 05-02-2019, 08:17 PM

Quote:
I just looked a little more closely at the Savage 110 and it looks like a really great rifle to start off with! Custom stock (essentially) with many different combinations and a great trigger? Sign me up!
Enjoy!
Old 05-02-2019, 08:28 PM

That's a great beginners gun enjoy

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 05-03-2019, 03:20 AM

Weatherby vanguard s2 best bang for your buck by far guaranteed a sub MOA and super durable bolt isn’t as smooth as a T3 but really when your cross hares are on the deer you won’t even notice how smooth a bolt is
Old 05-03-2019, 06:17 AM

Default .270

I'd take a T3 over a 85 Sako 8 days a week.Personally I have a Win 70 FWT SS Classic in .270 or build a custom 98 mauser.Older Sako's or a Browning Safari 98 would also be acceptable.
Old 05-03-2019, 07:28 AM

I’ve had Sako 85’s in 270 and 30-06, Tikka T3x in 270 and now I’m using a Win FWT M70 270 and love it. By far my favourite rifle. But I prefer wood blued rifles and classic styling.
Old 05-03-2019, 10:16 AM

Default Some interesting things to think about

Tikka's are growing in popularity in semi custom builds. I find this interesting. If you were going to build a long range rifle the action of choice was the Remington 700. I had a couple built on this type of platform. They worked well and shot well. They did need to be accurized and smiths would true the action.The trigger also would often be adjusted by the smith as well.

The last couple of tikka builds i have done did not need to have the action trued. They did not need to have the trigger worked. There quality of manufacture is excellent.

That being said all of these builds shot beyond my ability so i would call that a draw.

You are not looking for a semi custom, you want a hunting rifle. I like the tikka for that application for the following reasons:

1) Low bolt throw (quick cycling of cartridges for follow up shots)
2) detachable magazine (I find them better for hunting)
3) light weight (easy for carrying if you back country hunt)
4) accuracy guarantee (sub moa 3 shot from the factory)
5) Overall build quality (less likelyhood of rifle failure when it matters)

Do other rifles have some of these qualities, yes but maybe not at the same level as the Tikka.

This is just my opinion and others my not agree. I wish you well on making your decision and hope this post was helpful.
Old 05-03-2019, 11:22 AM

Quote:

Also, anything I spend money on I take pride in whether I spend hundreds or thousands.
There's nothing rude about your question, though I did not say that a Remington or Weatherby Vanguard wouldn't be good enough, in a practical, functional sense they are fine.

What I did say, was that based on my experience, you will find many reasons to upgrade, and will spend much more in the long run if you make a budget buy.

What specifically is better about a Tikka/Sako than the name? Well, I've never owned a Tikka, but have friends who do, and I have used them.

Tikka:

- Trigger is better than any mass produced rifles factory trigger, it is identical to the Sako trigger as far as I know, is adjustable from 2-4 lbs, and more importantly, breaks cleanly and consistently.
Savage Accutriggers are good too, and the target trigger they put on their more expensive guns are even better, but they do have the little take up tab, ostensibly for safety, which gives them a sort of two stage feel. Some may not mind that tab, but it is objectively not as nice a smooth trigger face.

- Barrel is better than most any mass production rifle, also the same barrels as Sako uses in their rifles; there's a reason that Tikka has a reputation for accuracy, and the barrels are very highly regarded. I have owned many rifles that shot okay with rough barrels, but Sako/Tikka barrels shoot well, clean easily as a matter of course, and I personally have not seen one with rough machine marks and burring as is common in many rifles.

- Action is smooth and fast. If you think this is malarkey, hype, or inconsequential, please pick up and cycle the bolt on a Ruger American, Remington 700, Weatherby Vanguard, then pick up a Tikka.
If you spend time shooting a Tikka and then pick up almost any other brand of rifle you will immediately realise how quickly you've come to take a smooth cycling bolt for granted, and how much easier it is to shoot.

- Accuracy may well be debatable, and is obviously a variable from rifle to rifle, but sample size doesn't lie, and Tikka's have an unparalleled reputation for accuracy, and are one of the most common rifles around. Savage used to have a very good reputation in this regard as well, though I feel that it was partly due to the "value" factor and concurrent lowered expectations, my experience with Savages has been....inconsistent.

- Value and resale is superb, you can resell a Tikka at minimal loss as compared to a Ruger, Savage, Remington. This is not baffle-gab and hearsay, I have bought and sold many rifles over the years and I feel that I have a good idea of the used value of various makes, and how quickly they sell.

There are of course some compromises with a Tikka, and reasons I haven't owned one. The stock isn't top notch, though MILES better than what you will get with most sub $800 rifles such as a Ruger American, the detachable magazines are single column and hold just 3 rounds while protruding slightly the the action bottom, the integral rings and bases are expensive, though I believe they come tapped for conventional bases as well, and there is plastic in these rifles.
All in all, for around $900 these are very good utilitarian rifles that you can expect to function smoothly, shoot much more accurately than average, and offering a great trigger and slick action (usability).

Sako:

- Trigger and barrel are the same as Tikka, ie. excellent.

- No Polymer. Every part of a Sako is metal, including the detachable magazine (expensive if you want extra though). Of course synthetic stocks are exempted from this.

- Bolt is a three lug (low bolt lift for quick cycling and scope eyepiece clearance as compared to Winchester model 70, Kimber, Savage, Remington 700, Weatherby Vaguard, and others) and is made of one piece of steel, including the bolt handle. Most rifles (Tikka too) have a brazed or pinned on bolt handle of some sort, this might never be a problem, but it is a positive to me.

- Wood is very good on Sako's these days if you are interested in a wood stock. I am still trying to resist a Sako Grizzly for $2,400.00. They are just beautiful rifles, if you care about that sort of thing

- Fit and finish may simply be a non-issue for you, or it may be a non-issue right now, but when you notice some rough machine marks, burring, visible finish flaws, etc. you may just find that you are bothered by it after all and start lusting after a "nicer" gun. Take a look at pretty much any (well regarded) CZ rifle and you will see machine marks, burrs, flaws, maybe a sticky spot in the bolt, you name it.
You can expect a very high standard of workmanship and QC with a Sako rifle, this matters to me, and I don't take it for granted as a guy who has owned a few Ruger M77 rifles for example.

The bottom line here is pride of ownership, Sako rifles are on average, objectively nicer than rifles for a few hundred dollars less, and it's apparent when you spend even a little time with one. Don't try to convince yourself this won't matter to you if there's a chance you will start to feel dissatisfied with, say, a much cruder Vanguard, with it's cheap stamped metal safety selector, and crappy magazine system, etc. because I have wasted a fair bit of money in upgrading rifles that I bought while ignoring their shortcomings.

Now for the Budget guns:

Remington 700 SPS: My advice is not to buy a Remington, their QC is non-existent these days, and by the time you make use of the extensive aftermarket to upgrade a Remington, you will have spent a considerable amount more than you thought you would going in. The cheap Remington 700 you find may well have a stock that needs replacement, a poor trigger, bad QA/QC resulting in poor accuracy or reliability.
I realise that some people love the Remington, and the 700 action is number one for builds, but you aren't shopping for a build action where you buy a $700 rifle and throw away the barrel, stock, and trigger.

Remington 783: possibly the worst rifle you could spend that money on.

Ruger American: Bought one, sold it after replacing the stock, still hated it. The bolt is garbage, machine marks, sticky, gritty, binds easily. The trigger is pure, unadulterated garbage that masquerades as a Savage Accutrigger. It is not. The stock is rubbish, and quite likely the poorest stock in this price range. Also, the magazine is hot garbage with s prone to fail retention clip.
I do not understand how these rifles have become popular, and I do like Ruger M77 rifles, have owned 3 and still own one.

Winchester XPR: Decent value I think. I owned one, the stock fairly smooth and hard plastic, so may be slippery, but it's nice and stiff for this price range, maybe a step below the Tikka synthetic stock.
Positives on the one I had were a very decent trigger, and okay accuracy. Negatives were the fat bolt which is not slick to run, and the cheap finish and appearance, such as mold markings on the stock.
I would recommend it as a utilitarian rifle as it seemed functional, and of reasonable value for the price.

Browning AB3: Same as the Winchester XPR as far as i can tell. I have not owned one, but they are the same company, and I believe they are clones.

Savage Mod 10 (11, 111, 110, etc.): I have owned a Savage 11 in .223 and it was an extremely inaccurate specimen; my brother has a Savage in .270 win and it's reasonably accurate, though nothing to write home about in all honesty.
Pros: Good trigger (though not as good as their reputation,) common and well regarded so resale might be better than it should be.
Cons: Hold one and look as the tang at the rear of the action where the safety is located, see that gap and the little spring? Now maybe it's paranoia, but I imagine dirt or a twig, or foliage getting snagged in there and jamming something up. Either way, they are ugly, obviously cheaply thrown together with the bolt assembled as a series of washers, barrel attached with a threaded nut, absolutely no regard for aesthetics here.
These rifles are also overpriced in my opinion as the price point has risen since Savage introduces the Axis line and presented the 10/110/11/111 as their "premium" line while not materially improving them in any way.

Savage Axis: Do not buy, I have no real reason for saying so as I have never owned or fired one, but I know that the magazine is worse than the standard Savage and they did not leave much room for cost cutting in my opinion.
Weatherby Vanguard (Howa 1500): I have owned exactly one of these, and I realise that these are highly thought of by quite a few people, so I’m probably in the minority. I didn’t think the trigger was good, and yes, it was an S2 that I owned, I disliked the magazine…a small thing I know, but you use it every time you use the rifle, so why accept a poor magazine system? The overall quality is just not great, stamped bent metal safety, the bolt isn’t really bad or good, but nothing special for sure, the one I owned wasn’t more accurate than average, I didn’t care for the style.
These are probably okay rifles as they are recommended by many, perhaps just not my cuppa.
Mossberg: No idea, have never touched one of these.

Not quite budget:

Winchester Model 70: These are in the $1,100 to $1,200 range and are a legendary rifle, quality is good, I owned a North Carolina built Super Grade in .270 WSM and it was solid with an okay trigger.
Pros: Good build quality and fit and finish, legendary action which is reliable and smooth enough, resale should be good, value is very good for what you pay.
Cons: Trigger is just okay, and mine had the MOA trigger (it’s the same trigger as in their XPR line,) bolt lift is high, so unless you are mounting a scope high, or using a scope like a Leupold VX3 with a narrow eyepiece, you may have bolt clearance issues, Euro scopes need not apply, hinged floorplate magazine with no detachable option.
Accuracy is not necessarily a hallmark of these rifles, they are average in this regard by reputation, and mine fell into that category.

Ruger M77/Hawkeye: Good rifles, but not cheap. I feel that the price has been pushed up (like Savage) with the introduction of the American line, which allows Ruger to position these as a more “premium” rifle without making material improvements.
Pros: Bombproof action, all metal construction and good quality, I like the look of the Hawkeye models which have a very classic style to them.
Cons: Triggers are not good, bad in fact. Action isn’t the smoothest, hinged floorplate magazine like the Winchester model 70 means no detachable mag, accuracy isn’t great by reputation, but mine have all shot very well to be honest, the scope rings suck, but you can buy Leupold brand rings that fit the machine cuts in the receiver and are better rings.
Not really the cheapest at $1,300.00 or more, but will outlast you as they are very sturdy arms.

Browning X-bolt: Have only owned one, they aren’t my style, triggers are okay to use but are painted gold coloured on most models, lots of plastic in these rifles.
I guess I don’t have much to say about these, they have a reputation for accuracy, but I just irrationally don’t care for them so haven’t really thought about them much.

Kimber Hunter: These are around the price of a Ruger M77, but have a crappy magazine, a reputation for poor quality control, high bolt lift with a straight bolt handle that makes them possibly the most challenging rifle out there for mounting a scope low.
If you really want a lightweight sporter with a decent synthetic stock….buy a Tikka instead of this overpriced offering.

I’m sure I’ve missed some, but you asked me for specifics, not generalisations and I aim to please.
I am not simply repeating things I’ve heard or read, I have experience with quite a few rifles and have formed my own opinions based on MY experience.

I like Sako, and all of my hunting rifles are Sako, everything else ends up getting sold or sitting. I am not saying that you need to spend $2,000 plus on a Sako to be happy, but I would have saved thousands of dollars if I had resisted the many rifles I have bought because I thought that small deficiencies, or differences in features or quality were something I could live with…you might be different, but something that you use is never a waste of money when it works even a little bit better than the cheaper option.
Old 05-03-2019, 11:32 AM

Default Development

Quote:

A persons tastes and requirements and tolerances change over time.

When I started purchasing my own rifles I didn't have a lot of money so I bought Savage rifles. They shot well and fit my budget at the time. My budgets increased and so did my requirements. I found that as my preferences for features and quality changed I wanted more, so I sold them on this forum and of course you loose a bit of money when you do that. Ergo why several on this thread have stated the wise adage "buy once cry once". I would echo this sentiment if you have the ability (means) to do so. At my stage of life a difference of $200 or $300 dollars going from a budget rifle to a mid range rifle is not significant, for other fellows on this forum that may cause the wife to file for divorce (i kid).

It all depends on where your at in life and what is important to you and ultimately what you can afford. Will your life be any better if you purchase a $2500 Sako, no, will your life be any worse if you purchase $750 Savage no. Will both knock over that Deer Moose or Elk at 300 yards yes.

If you don't have much experince with firearms maybe purchase something on the lower end of the price spectrum to see if you in fact enjoy hunting and shooting. If you find you don't then your havent wasted a bunch of money. If you are a bit more experienced then i suggest reviewing what you currently like about firearms you have used previously and what you didnt like about some firearms you have shot and factor that into your decision making process. An example would be the type of magazine you prefer to use. Some hunters want a box magazine, personally I would never own a rifle with them as I much prefer detachable magazines. Ultimately its about what you prefer. You may want to start by listing some features you want in a rifle and then find one that matches your critera. Here is an example of some;

1)Action type

a)bolt
b) pump
c) lever

2) Barrel type or length

a) Stainles or Blued
b) 24-26 inch barrel
c) Varmint or Light contour

3) Magazine configuration
a) internal magazine
b) Deatchable
c) tube

4) Trigger
a) adjustable
b) set or target

Just some things to think about and I hope it helps I am sure you can find other things to add to this list.

Last edited by markg; 05-03-2019 at 11:55 AM.
Old 05-03-2019, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishfirlife View Post
Weatherby vanguard s2 best bang for your buck by far guaranteed a sub MOA and super durable bolt isn’t as smooth as a T3 but really when your cross hares are on the deer you won’t even notice how smooth a bolt is
I love statement like this, because they acknowledge that you are, in fact, compromising while insisting that you will not care about said compromise because of "buck fever" or something? I dunno.

Maybe you won't notice the difference when your cross hairs are on a buck, but you might not cycle as fast for follow up shot 2 or 3, who knows? You will assuredly not have as nice of a trigger pull, which will affect practical field accuracy more than any other factor, perhaps more than all other factors combined.

To sum up, the quoted passage acknowledges an inferiority in the recommended rifle, while at the same time dismissing it's importance to the recommendee , on the basis of one narrow and specific scenario that completely disregards the overall experience of owning, shooting, practising with the rifle, all because at the instant of the kill the smoothness of the bolt doesn't matter? That is textbook for unhelpful advice.

Tikka rifles also come with an accuracy guarantee by the way, and are not much more expensive than a Vanguard S2, but I didn't talk of accuracy guarantees, because I consider them to be little more than marketing. I think it's safe to say that Tikka has a better reputation for accuracy than a Vanguard and both rifles sell a lot so there's a huge sample size involved.
Old 05-03-2019, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg View Post
A persons tastes and requirements and tolerances change over time.

When I started purchasing my own rifles I didn't have a lot of money so I bought Savage rifles. They shot well and fit my budget at the time. My budgets increased and so did my requirements. I found that as my preferences for features and quality changed I wanted more, so I sold them on this forum and of course you loose a bit of money when you do that. Ergo why several on this thread have stated the wise adage "buy once cry once". I would echo this sentiment if you have the ability (means) to do so. At my stage of life a difference of $200 or $300 dollars going from a budget rifle to a mid range rifle is not significant, for other fellows on this forum that may cause the wife to file for divorce (i kid).

It all depends on where your at in life and what is important to you and ultimately what you can afford. Will your life be any better if you purchase a $2500 Sako, no, will your life be any worse if you purchase $750 Savage no. Will both knock over that Deer Moose or Elk at 300 yards yes.

If you don't have much experince with firearms maybe purchase something on the lower end of the price spectrum to see if you in fact enjoy hunting and shooting. If you find you don't then your havent wasted a bunch of money. If you are a bit more experienced then i suggest reviewing what you currently like about firearms you have used previously and what you didnt like about some firearms you have shot and factor that into your decision making process. An example would be the type of magazine you prefer to use. Some hunts want a box magazine, personally I would never own a rifle with them as I much prefer detachable magazines. Ultimately its about what you prefer. You may want to start by listing some features you want in a rifle and then find one that matches your critera. Here is an example of some;

1)Action type

a)bolt
b) pump
c) lever

2) Barrel type or length

a) Stainles or Blued
b) 24-26 inch barrel
c) Varmint or Light contour

3) Magazine configuration
a) internal magazine
b) Deatchable
c) tube

4) Trigger
a) adjustable
b) set or target

Just some things to think about and I hope it helps I am sure you can find other things to add to this list.
This post exactly. Much more succinctly put than my semi-rambling diatribe.
Old 05-03-2019, 03:01 PM

I have only built 2 rifles on Tikka actions, first one is a 6.5-284 with a #17hv 30” barrel in a A5 stock. This rifle shoots great. Second was a 7RM that KS Arms rebarreled to 257wby. It works very well also. I would not use a Tikka action for any build requiring a COL of more than 3.340” due to mag length.

In my opinion, for middle of the road rifles Tikka are pretty tough to beat.
Old 05-03-2019, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokinyotes View Post
I have only built 2 rifles on Tikka actions, first one is a 6.5-284 with a #17hv 30” barrel in a A5 stock. This rifle shoots great. Second was a 7RM that KS Arms rebarreled to 257wby. It works very well also. I would not use a Tikka action for any build requiring a COL of more than 3.340” due to mag length.

In my opinion, for middle of the road rifles Tikka are pretty tough to beat.
Unless someone was looking for an easily top feed rifle, or hinged floorplate system, or a three position safety, then tikka would be a big miss. It all comes down to what someone is looking for.
Old 05-03-2019, 05:49 PM

I have a T3x superlite in 7 rem mag, the plastic stock is way better than the older t3’s and any savage I have handled. It’s my cheap gun, I prefer Kimber’s when I can afford them, way better quality and worth saving money for. These Kimbers I have will be passed down to my sons. The tikka will probably be sold in a few years to help pay for another Kimber. I like the buy once cry once saying, but I still ended up needing to buy that T3x lol. It is a good gun for the money. I sold all my Winchester model 70’s and only have 1 M700 left in my fleet. The thing I don’t like about the tikka’s is the limited mag length, that only applies if you hand load.